Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Roundboy posted:

Is there a better way to browse cases? I am getting a little miffed to but for my atx form factor, but have a large number of drive bays that will simply never get filled.

But I realize I need the space for cpu and GPU cooling, and fans. Or is there just a short list of cases to buy and be done with it?

I'm not too much of a fan of rainbow or blue led lights just shooting out of the case.

I don't know what the second sentence in this post is saying, but GamersNexus is my go-to for case reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsuVSmND84QtrMP_niRTD2zIa3uUhxIvn

Generally, anything with mesh panels from brands like Lian Li, Phanteks, Fractal Design, Be Quet, Cooler Master, or Corsair will likely be at least decent in terms of airflow. The Lian Li Lancool II or III, Phanteks P360A or P500A, Fractal Design Torrent or Meshify series, Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX or Silent Base 802, Cooler Master MasterBox... whatever numbers they have, and Corsair 4000D/5000D Airflow are all good examples. Just go with a case that has a style you like and stick with it, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Roundboy posted:

Is there a better way to browse cases? I am getting a little miffed to but for my atx form factor, but have a large number of drive bays that will simply never get filled.

But I realize I need the space for cpu and GPU cooling, and fans. Or is there just a short list of cases to buy and be done with it?

I'm not too much of a fan of rainbow or blue led lights just shooting out of the case.

Drive bays?

Nowadays most cases have the entire front as fans.

There’s a whole bunch of cases like the 4000D airflow by corsair that will hold literally any GPU on the market because it’s just a rectangle with fans in the front.

Edit: I’m on a 500D, wife has a 465x which are older but similar

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How does one accomplish a bios update that is incompatible with your cpu?

What I mean is that I currently have a ryzen 5 2600x in an Asrock AB350M Pro4 board. It need a bios update to accept the ryzen 5 5600 that I just bought.

Do I update the bios before I install the new chip? I assume once I do that the mobo will no longer boot on the 2600x

Or do I somehow update it after the 5600 is installed? I can’t imagine how I’d do that though

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the bios update will need to run on the 2600x, but i would expect typically it to still run on the board once updated, unless it is one of the exceptional ones with small memory.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It looks like Asrock might have shenanigans requiring more than one BIOS update to get where you need to be - I'd suggest going through their site and figuring out the necessary order of operations:

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I don't think it is common for vendors to remove old CPU support when adding support for new CPU models in a BIOS update. I don't think the newest BIOS for that board will be incompatible with the 2600X, based on what I've read on their site.

In this case, ASRock did remove support from some AMD CPUs in the latest version of the BIOS for the AB350M Pro4. Luckily, the affected chips are codename "Bristol Ridge", which does not impact the 2600X (which is codename "Pinnacle Ridge").

Definitely shenanigans afoot on that upgrade path, as CaptainSarcastic points out. Better do some careful reading. Apparently the whole 6.xx release is bad for Pinnacle Ridge? You might be expected to jump from some previous version straight up to 7.00, and then upgrade again to 7.20 for codename Vermeer support.

Using codenames in their documentation is kinda confusing. ASRock does have a list of processor->codenames here: https://www.asrock.com/support/cpu.asp?s=AM4

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Roundboy posted:

Look at fractals cases.

Load up Gamers nexus most recent case review and look at compare chart

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Speaking of airflow... Our rigs both have PC slots for a vertical GPU mount that are pop off style and block airflow.

I popped them off today and tossed in some ventilated PCI slot covers. Looks better, slightly better thermals and zero cost. I can definitely feel hot air coming out of them.

If you hoard PC parts like me you should still have some from when you put your GPU in.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
okay gordon fuckin rules, spitting loving facts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl5as8LQLEw

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SFF fans are the same godless heathens that use 40% keyboards.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I like keeping my SFF pc on my desk

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

njsykora posted:

SFF fans are the same godless heathens that use 40% keyboards.

is that the one without the number pad? i use that one, i miss it a lot and in theory could go buy a lil num pad but haven't.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CoolCab posted:

is that the one without the number pad? i use that one, i miss it a lot and in theory could go buy a lil num pad but haven't.

Numpad, function keys, basically everything except the letters, arrows, shift and enter.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

njsykora posted:

Numpad, function keys, basically everything except the letters, arrows, shift and enter.

This just makes me angry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

No human really uses this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that a 40% keyboard in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MarcusSA posted:

There are plenty people using these to post online about no actually they're totally enjoying these unironically, you just don't understand what you're missing out of you don't try, actually Im much faster know without all those keys

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Me, taking the online typing speed test for the 90th time today, struggling under the weight of all of the keys included with a full size keyboard

:negative:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Getting exhausted from exercising my arm so much moving the mouse around the numpad

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it has a comma, what more punctuation do you need

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I tried a 60% keyboard and it was one of the best I've ever used but still would never switch since the lack of arrow keys killed it for me. Can't imagine losing everything else

change my name fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 4, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I could use a TKL keyboard (the kind with just the numpad removed) or possibly a 65% if I really needed desk space but that'd be the absolute limit.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i miss the numpad a lot. it's nice to have more mouse room but i still need to look down like a caveman to type in a long series of numbers, lol.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I like my TKL for gaming, but it sucks not having a number pad for everything else.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Do mATX builds count as SFF or not? I just need to know if I should shrug or angry (I'm not getting angry).

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
not typically, generally when people talk about SFF they mean ITX, mini ITX or those intel NUCs or similar. you can have SFF mATX cases but they're rarer.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
My goal is to be able to play new games in 4k and my budget is $2-3k (USD). I'm in the US and live close to a Microcenter although the prices didn't seem that different from just buying online. I'm also not in a huge rush at the moment, where my main (only?) real target is to have this new computer up and running for Homeworld 3 so I'm wondering if waiting a few months will make much of a difference.

This is what I put together this afternoon

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cpWkbK

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($374.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING iCX3 Video Card ($799.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design Silent R3 46.5 CFM 120 mm Fan ($11.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2313.78

Roughly speaking does it look fine? And how many fans do I actually need?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

New stuff in both CPUs and GPUs are coming out in the next few months, so if you're targeting 4K and you're willing to bust out the cash to make it happen you'll gain a lot from waiting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ITX motherboards/cases and SFX power supplies are cute. Gordon doesn't get it.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

change my name posted:

I like keeping my SFF pc on my desk

I keep my Define 7 XL encased PC on my desk. With a HAF XB on the other side.

Get a full size keyboard.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I've been using the below keyboard since spring, and with the "home row mod" I have really learned to appreciate how little I have to move my fingers around. It actually has made me annoyed about how far I have to move them to reach the numbers. I'm starting to understand the appeal of 40%, if I just had the brain capacity. Of course I could simulate a 40% on my keyboard and I have considered adding numbers to the "QWERTY" row. But even if I have gotten the hang of my current layout I would have throw away much of the training and start from scratch.

People keep glamouring for numpad and of course I have it. Just press down on J to activate layer 2 and I can find numpad in the BQZÅ quadrant. A problem is that I need it so seldom I keep forgetting it's existence.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have so loving many questions my head hutrs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a reason so many audiophile forums have gotten keyboard forums in recent years.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that keyboard is a cry for help

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saukkis posted:

I've been using the below keyboard since spring, and with the "home row mod" I have really learned to appreciate how little I have to move my fingers around. It actually has made me annoyed about how far I have to move them to reach the numbers. I'm starting to understand the appeal of 40%, if I just had the brain capacity. Of course I could simulate a 40% on my keyboard and I have considered adding numbers to the "QWERTY" row. But even if I have gotten the hang of my current layout I would have throw away much of the training and start from scratch.

People keep glamouring for numpad and of course I have it. Just press down on J to activate layer 2 and I can find numpad in the BQZÅ quadrant. A problem is that I need it so seldom I keep forgetting it's existence.

MarcusSA posted:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
why is there a car key? WHY ARE THERE SEVERAL CAR KEYS

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blink three times if you are being held against your will and forced to use that.. thing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Adun posted:

My goal is to be able to play new games in 4k and my budget is $2-3k (USD). I'm in the US and live close to a Microcenter although the prices didn't seem that different from just buying online. I'm also not in a huge rush at the moment, where my main (only?) real target is to have this new computer up and running for Homeworld 3 so I'm wondering if waiting a few months will make much of a difference.

This is what I put together this afternoon

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cpWkbK

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($374.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING iCX3 Video Card ($799.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $2313.78

Roughly speaking does it look fine? And how many fans do I actually need?

The 12700K is overkill for 4K gaming if you don't have any other serious uses for it. You can save some good money by getting a 12600K and a cheaper cooler. Also, you can probably save some money by getting a DDR5 board and this memory/SSD combo: https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb/p/N82E16820331847?quicklink=true. And I'm not sure the MSI Z690 Edge really offers much over their Z690-A Pro beyond +2 SATA ports, a slightly better audio chip (still not great either way), the m.2 heatsinks, and of course the aesthetic differences. If you don't care about that, the MSI Z690-A Pro is still a perfectly good but inexpensive motherboard (and the DDR5+WiFi one is $215).

The Meshify 2 already comes with three fans. I would say that only one more 140mm fan in the front to fill out the front intake would be necessary. This is the fan they use if you want to match them (usually a smart idea)

I think you should consider getting the MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 Ti over the EVGA XC3. It's a $10 higher upfront cost, but it has a $30 mail-in rebate and more importantly, the cooler is just a lot better than the XC3's, which is a bit small for such a powerful GPU. (Edit: The MSI Ventus 3080 Ti is $740 at Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nv...7&intl=nosplash)

As for whether waiting may make a difference, it might. We just saw some pretty significant price drops on the high end last week, with 3080 Ti and 3090 prices plummeting. The 4090 (and maybe the 4080) are rumored to be coming out next month, and I have to believe that more price drops are on the way. New CPUs are coming out this month and next, too, which may create more price movement on current-gen parts.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

So many of the keycaps on the outside edges aren't even the right size for the spaces they're covering, as though it wasn't already spitting in god's face by existing at all