Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Day9 is in rare form in his Dominaria United card review. someone bribed him to go back and rate Griffin Protector and its art highly after he said he hated the card(and the art) and boy, he's just incredible at this:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1578137210?t=5923s

Please don't skip this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well got talked into going to a 2HG prerelease tonight. I haven't looked at this set or played any magic outside of commander in like two years. I'm sure it'll go well. Anyone have any like super simple tips or easy deck ideas to look out for.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ChaosReaper posted:

Well got talked into going to a 2HG prerelease tonight. I haven't looked at this set or played any magic outside of commander in like two years. I'm sure it'll go well. Anyone have any like super simple tips or easy deck ideas to look out for.

Hope you get the walls to make a mill deck, if you mill one head you win the game

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ChaosReaper posted:

The domain deck (all five basic land types, there are a bunch of tapped dual lands with both so it's doable) is nice because there's a bunch of off color kicker costs in this set as well and going for domain means whoops you can basically always cast those kicker costs no matter what your base colors are. Assuming it's sealed.

opt
Oct 10, 2007
went to a prerelease which was the first time playing paper magic in an lgs for me. opened ajani, archangel of wrath, defiler of vigor, and defiler of faith with a bunch of fixing and domain pay offs, built it out with bant with a few red for a single merias outrider. went 3-1 and had a good time, thinking i may get into going to draft nights

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Today I learned that "exile until" style effects don't use the stack for putting the exiled thing back into play, and I'm not really clear as to why? I traded a brutal cathar into two iron apprentices, thinking they wouldn't have a legal target for their death triggers, but naw, timing on this effect is different from everything else because reasons.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I went to the afternoon prerelease today and got Sheoldred as my promo. Basically every game where it hit the battlefield and lived, I won. If the opponent doesn't have a quick answer to it, it becomes backbreaking. I didn't even block with it so it couldn't get combat tricked, but if they didn't have removal it didn't matter.

I went 2-1, the one match I lost at the end was because the guy specifically kept removal in hand for Sheoldred and took it out instantly and I couldn't find my reanimators in time.

I had a blast!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ObsidianBeast posted:

I went to the afternoon prerelease today and got Sheoldred as my promo. Basically every game where it hit the battlefield and lived, I won. If the opponent doesn't have a quick answer to it, it becomes backbreaking. I didn't even block with it so it couldn't get combat tricked, but if they didn't have removal it didn't matter.

I went 2-1, the one match I lost at the end was because the guy specifically kept removal in hand for Sheoldred and took it out instantly and I couldn't find my reanimators in time.

I had a blast!

Sheoldred has felt good to me in early Arena standard. It's sort of an unassuming card but like you said, if it's not answered basically the turn it lands it becomes a serious issue. And these midrange black decks (whether they are esper, grixis, or even monoblack) are running so many efficient early threats that they can tax your removal and it's not as simple as sitting there and holding one for Sheoldred. I like the card a lot more than I expected to.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 3, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

After having fun at a prerelease last night, I went to a different store’s prerelease today, and it was bizarre how different the two experiences were. Last night I had a pool of cards that had some actual synergies, and everyone I played against was sociable and nice. Every game was fun.

Today my card pool was awful, the deck had almost no synergies at all, and weirdly everyone I played against (except one dude) was doing that intense competitive thing, like playing the game was a chore for them. Also the games were absolute slogs that all took forever. I dunno if it was just bad luck or if it had to do with the atmospheres and general clientele of the different stores?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sheoldred makes me wish that Peer Into The Abyss was still in standard :getin:

Edit: although the exploit scorpion from innistrad that does a Sign In Blood would be 6 damage to the opponent with sheoldred in play, imma start brewing something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TotalHell posted:

After having fun at a prerelease last night, I went to a different store’s prerelease today, and it was bizarre how different the two experiences were. Last night I had a pool of cards that had some actual synergies, and everyone I played against was sociable and nice. Every game was fun.

Today my card pool was awful, the deck had almost no synergies at all, and weirdly everyone I played against (except one dude) was doing that intense competitive thing, like playing the game was a chore for them. Also the games were absolute slogs that all took forever. I dunno if it was just bad luck or if it had to do with the atmospheres and general clientele of the different stores?

Could be atmosphere. There are two LGSes near me, one is pretty chill and relaxed and the other one is kind of weird and uninviting. Guess which one I prefer going to

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Today I learned that "exile until" style effects don't use the stack for putting the exiled thing back into play, and I'm not really clear as to why? I traded a brutal cathar into two iron apprentices, thinking they wouldn't have a legal target for their death triggers, but naw, timing on this effect is different from everything else because reasons.

It's because it's all formatted as one single ability. Contrast with Oblivion Ring, where the 'exile a card' and the 'return the exiled card to the battlefield' are two different effects.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished my first in person prerelease since 2019. My pool was pretty scattershot with the best cards leaning W/B. But it wasn’t enough for a full deck. So, I decided to go full 5 color domain having pulled a Jodah and eight duals to include two pain lands.

It was a glorious mess that somehow got me 2-0-1, splitting the last round. He was just huge, made my six other legends huge, and the side effect of being base W/B was being able to recur him multiple times whenever they did manage to kill him.

Pulled Karn and the green defiler from my prize packs, got a prerelease foil of the Stronghold enchantment off a dude for cheap, and made some great new local contacts.

Overall awesome night.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Could be atmosphere. There are two LGSes near me, one is pretty chill and relaxed and the other one is kind of weird and uninviting. Guess which one I prefer going to

I liked my old lgs for prerelease atmosphere. They did essentially no prizing, everyone got 2 or 3 packs and a few promos here or there which meant everyone made the deck they thought would be the most fun instead of the most optimised list. It's good for sealed where sometimes you open absolute trash or a god set of packs.

5c junk or mill decks were common.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Way back when, Fiend Hunter had a separate triggered ability that used the stack and because of that, blink effects like Restoration Angel could cause the leaves trigger to resolve before the enters trigger, exiling the creature forever.

E: this also meant that three Fiend Hunters with nothing else to target caused an infinite loop of exiling and returning. If neither player decided to intervene, the game ended in a draw.

E2: Brutal Cathar returns the creature the microsecond it's gone, even in the middle of the resolution of an ability. If a Brutal Cathar has your Knight of Dawn's Light, and you Extinguish the Light it, you gain 4 life.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 4, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Way back when, Fiend Hunter had a separate triggered ability that used the stack and because of that, blink effects like Restoration Angel could cause the leaves trigger to resolve before the enters trigger, exiling the creature forever.

E: this also meant that three Fiend Hunters with nothing else to target caused an infinite loop of exiling and returning. If neither player decided to intervene, the game ended in a draw.

E2: Brutal Cathar returns the creature the microsecond it's gone, even in the middle of the resolution of an ability. If a Brutal Cathar has your Knight of Dawn's Light, and you Extinguish the Light it, you gain 4 life.

Wasn't this also a hostage taker problem?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't this also a hostage taker problem?

Hostage Taker as printed originally in Ixalan could target itself. It would exile itself then immediately return to trigger again. If it was the only creature or artifact on the battlefield, it had to, causing an infinite loop.

I don't remember if anything was primed to exploit infinite ETBs at the time, I try to remember a Kaladesh standard and I can only see an energy counter. It was immediately errata'd to say "another" because jfc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The scg weekend was maybe their worst attendance ever. Lots of factors outside of scg and competitive magic at play, but these big events might be a thing of the past soon.

Sad times.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

The scg weekend was maybe their worst attendance ever. Lots of factors outside of scg and competitive magic at play, but these big events might be a thing of the past soon.

Sad times.

No one wants to shuffle anymore! SAD

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There are some big events happening in Europe soon, even some around legacy. I think the big events are hit or miss, but paper magic seems like it's coming back after the pandemic.

Wasn't this weekend labour day in North America? Could explain bad attendance

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

Sad times.

Cedric had a thread discussing this, one bad event is not enough to call competitive MTG dead

https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/1566196885202804738

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Would picking up the four 2022 Challenger Decks be a good starting point for casual fun kitchen table Magic with a friend? I've only played Hearthstone and they have never touched a TCG before but love games with lots of rules, for context.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Peteyfoot posted:

Would picking up the four 2022 Challenger Decks be a good starting point for casual fun kitchen table Magic with a friend? I've only played Hearthstone and they have never touched a TCG before but love games with lots of rules, for context.

Honestly I think the REALLY good thing for casual kitchen table fun would be getting a box of jumpstart. Basically the same price as all four challenger decks since that's what you're talking about, way more variety and with trivial effort you can stick the individual components into envelops or something afterward to be able to randomly pick them again.

Basically jumpstart is this whole thing where you basically grab two halves of themed decks and smash them together and end up with stuff like, Goblin Angels vs Dog Vampires. A whole box gets you like 24 of the individual packs, that's a whole lot of variety.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Honestly I think the REALLY good thing for casual kitchen table fun would be getting a box of jumpstart. Basically the same price as all four challenger decks since that's what you're talking about, way more variety and with trivial effort you can stick the individual components into envelops or something afterward to be able to randomly pick them again.

Basically jumpstart is this whole thing where you basically grab two halves of themed decks and smash them together and end up with stuff like, Goblin Angels vs Dog Vampires. A whole box gets you like 24 of the individual packs, that's a whole lot of variety.

This sounds awesome! :swoon: I'll check it out, thank you for the recommendation!

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Peteyfoot posted:

This sounds awesome! :swoon: I'll check it out, thank you for the recommendation!

If you're getting a box, make sure you get the original jumpstart and not dominaria jumpstart.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Peteyfoot posted:

Just be aware they're talking about the original Jumpstart (https://www.amazon.com/Jumpstart-Booster-Box-Magic-Gathering/dp/B084SDYYMP), not the Dominaria Jumpstart that will soon be in stores.

The former has 121 types of decks with a whooole lot of variation, the later has 10.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 4, 2022

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
ooo, I appreciate the clarification!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Sad times.

Baltimore was pretty crowded, this was a way worse location.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Sad times.

Have you seen the attendance at the NRG series events in the Midwest?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ShaneB posted:

Have you seen the attendance at the NRG series events in the Midwest?

It's high!

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Went to a prerelease, went 3-2 because I kept aggressively misreading Artillery Blast (only works on tapped creatures) and I believe I could have gone 4-1 but it was extra late and I was tired and a few other things but whatever I had a lot of fun.

Played 5 color goodstuff, pulled a Jaya but played it all of once. Also had Danitha, Archangel of Wrath, Nael, Djinn of the Fountain. Common shoutout to Magigoth Sentry and Argivian Phalanx, sometimes to win you just gotta play a lot of 4/4s.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Went 1-2 with a Naya pile with 2 Rith. The first loss was fine but the third match had game 1 and 3 ended in mulling to 2 lands of 5 and not drawing a third as a control player slowly beat me down over 5 turns.

But I did pull a foil borderless Liliana (don't ask about my black cards+no fixing) so swings and roundabouts.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Lone Goat posted:

Cedric had a thread discussing this, one bad event is not enough to call competitive MTG dead

It's just the usual Twitter noise, people falling over each other to come up with the hottest take. Paper MTG is trending upward basically everywhere I look

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's way more active than 2020.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Magic has been dying for 30 whole years now

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've only been to two physical prereleases since COVID. I forgot there was a player who always opened six on-color bomb rares/mythics. I had to play him this weekend and I'm still pissed about it. I'm bringing it up to the store soon because gently caress him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kashuno posted:

Magic has been dying for 30 whole years now

Get busy livin’ or get busy dyin’. That’s goddamn right.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Went 3-1-1 at a 2HG prerelease last night for 7th which was 8 packs. I was only on UR, because my teammate insisted he play GWu with the duals for max value. It ended up working out, but I was a bit salty that I didn’t have anything to make my U and R spells with W kicker work really well. Our biggest pull was Serra Paragon which did crazy work. I had Shivan devastator which I didn’t draw in four games, and in the fifth game it got immediately countered. Najal and Balmor were the real mvps. Set’s fun as hell and I look forward to playing more limited.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VictualSquid posted:

I suppose that is one thing that wizards has consistently slept on with their massive amount of try hard play data from online play.
Finding a compensation for playing second that actually moves the winrates to equal.

have Turn 1 happen simultanously for both players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

Peteyfoot posted:

also (if you want to be decadent) let me put in a good word for Cubeamajigs over envelopes - you're never going to beat something like envelopes on price, but they'll hold up and protect the cards better and (at least for me) they help recapture some of the pack-cracking appeal