Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

casual poster posted:

I really liked the game Moonlighter. Something about the dungeon crawling to find items and than selling them in the shop really did it for me. Is there anything else that's like that? Or what type of game that would be called? I know that the dungeon crawling part is called a rouge-like, but what about the selling in the shop part?

Recettear-like :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are there any strategy games where most units will survive a battle, by being wounded or retreating? Something in between the scale of Shadow of War and Napoleon Total War.

casual poster posted:

I really liked the game Moonlighter. Something about the dungeon crawling to find items and than selling them in the shop really did it for me. Is there anything else that's like that? Or what type of game that would be called? I know that the dungeon crawling part is called a rouge-like, but what about the selling in the shop part?

Maybe Darkest Dungeon? You find a lot of items and have to choose which to sell. Sometimes you'll get so low on funds that you'll have to sell something useful. Although haggling isn't part of it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

casual poster posted:

Just play Recettear, that's the game that Moonlighter copied and did worse.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

casual poster posted:

This is not the main focus of the game, but a free option would be the roguelike Elona, which lets you own properties including shops where you can sell your items from dungeon diving. Elona is an eclectic, feature rich roguelike with its own thread. Most people play some variant of Elona Plus--check the latest posts in the thread for one goon's own customized build.

Otherwise yeah Recettear is what you're looking for.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I'm looking for a single player, FPS, basebuilding, exploration, and/or open world game where I can kinda just chill and explore and use my base as a hub for refueling between treks. I've played Subnautica (and below zero), minecraft and satisfactory to death already. If there's villagers that I can attract and build a tiny village that's semi-autonomous that's also cool.

I know fallout 4 kinda also did what I'm looking for with regards to basebuilding and exploring, but have also played it to death.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Modded Minecraft, there's a village building mod!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chainchompz posted:

I'm looking for a single player, FPS, basebuilding, exploration, and/or open world game where I can kinda just chill and explore and use my base as a hub for refueling between treks. I've played Subnautica (and below zero), minecraft and satisfactory to death already. If there's villagers that I can attract and build a tiny village that's semi-autonomous that's also cool.

I know fallout 4 kinda also did what I'm looking for with regards to basebuilding and exploring, but have also played it to death.

7 Days To Die
Dragon Quest Builders 2

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you care the primarily about first person, Slime Rancher and Raft.

casual poster posted:

There's not many games that specifically do shop management (at least not many that I hear buzz about), but there are a bunch of games that use dungeoncrawling to bulk out an otherwise chill gameplay loop. Stardew Valley is probably the most successful one, Rune Factory is also pretty big, both of those are about farming when not doing dungeon stuff. I hear Cult of the Lamb that people are talking about has its own split management/dungeoncrawling elements. I've heard some people call the genre games like that "Atelier", which I don't really know about, but you can try wading in that direction if you wanna figure out japanese game culture.

You could also try exploring the roguelike/roguelite genre. You might find Backpack Hero interesting since its gimmick is complex inventory management.

Chamale posted:

Are there any strategy games where most units will survive a battle, by being wounded or retreating? Something in between the scale of Shadow of War and Napoleon Total War.

It's a big part of the Homeworld series to try keeping your ships alive and repair them between battles so you can keep building your fleet.

If you wanna zoom out a lot, combat in Paradox games will be like that, when units lose fights they'll retreat in shattered groups that you still have to put the work into reassembling. If you wanna zoom in to the point that you have to manage units' interpersonal relations, Fire Emblem.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

chainchompz posted:

No Man's Sky does all of these things (including a sorta simulated village for you to manage) to kind of a shallow, but enjoyable and pretty degree. NMS is a very amiable game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Outer Wilds is the perfect crystallization of everything the Sierra adventure game genre was striving towards and didn't have the tech or game design knowledge to actually achieve. If you're completely uninterested in even the promise of that kind of game, it won't do anything for you, but if you ever felt disappointed by Myst or The Journeyman Project or Syberia or whatever, it's game of the decade material.

Considering I despise Sierra adventure games and was a hardcore Myst fan for a while, this is the mother of all whiffs. :v:

Shine posted:

Metal Gear Rising is "cutscene bullshit Raiden from MGS4 except they have him controllable somehow" and you feel like a badass ninja cyborg guy once you get the hang of it, stylishly cutting enemies to ribbons (literally, if you are especially playful with the execution system).

MGR is already straight up one of my favorite games of all time, though I'm left struggling to decide how well it fits. It comes drat close at times, but then at other times it doesn't.

Honestly I think I just need to put this one back in the oven. I feel like the explanation I gave was still too muddy and looking back I think even some of my own examples weren't quite on the mark. Thanks for trying anyway, goons.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

John Murdoch posted:

Considering I despise Sierra adventure games and was a hardcore Myst fan for a while, this is the mother of all whiffs. :v:

It's absolutely nothing like a Sierra adventure game. When I think of those games I think of lots of dialogue and animations and puzzles that involve using a specific item out of a large inventory in the right place. The outer wilds is just completely different than that. Just play it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I dont think I’ll finish Outer Wilds but i found it super worth the time I did spend with it. There are quibbles but it’s worth experiencing, even if you’ve been spoiled on a few things

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Outer Wilds is nothing like Sierra games because it has puzzles that are more complicated than clicking on the correct pixel to find a hidden item. Also, no ”ohp I progressed too far without getting an item and broke my save but that won’t become clear for a few more hours” bullshit. It is a wonderful little game that is packed with little details, engaging puzzles, and decent newtonian spaceship flight.

Rip the bong if that’s your thing and sit down with it for a couple hours. If you love Myst you probably won’t be disappointed.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Naramyth posted:

I dont think I’ll finish Outer Wilds but i found it super worth the time I did spend with it. There are quibbles but it’s worth experiencing, even if you’ve been spoiled on a few things

Yeah I really enjoyed the beginning and most of the middle but a few cycles from the end I just gave up and watched a video - and felt like I'd made a good decision.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

John Murdoch posted:

While the clarification might be even worse, I think you're misunderstanding me slightly. I'm lumping those together, not distinguishing between them. It's an adventure game (a category in which I include Myst) except good.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 4, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

While the clarification might be even worse, I think you're misunderstanding me slightly. I'm lumping those together, not distinguishing between them. It's an adventure game (a category in which I include Myst) except good.

But...you're still saying "it's like that game you like, but actually good".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Outer Wilds isn't really much like Sierra games

I'd say it's more like Doom, or Mario Kart

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

But...you're still saying "it's like that game you like, but actually good".

Of course. But recommendations aren't based on agreeing, they're based on a person's tastes being clear and easily compared, and this is a public thread. I don't want some lurker thinking I was strongly in favor of clicking every object on other object but against learning a new number system, or for low-rez pixel art but against manipulated stock photos. I think all of those things were clunky and inadequate and Outer Wilds is not.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Uh, sure thing! I guess.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'll show you something clunky and inadequate

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Maybe we will all come to a better understanding if we compare Outer Wilds to some more games.

I'll vote for: Firewatch but in Space and its a Roguelike

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Battlefleet Gothic but in 1st person by the creators of Katamari Dmacy

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Low budget mass effect (can't gently caress aliens)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's nothing like any of those and very much like Myst and Riven.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven where you were expected to navigate a vehicle in threedimensional space in real time to get anywhere

Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven where you are under a strict time limit to accomplish anything and all quests and info are time-sensitive

Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven where enemies eat you when you navigate one of the puzzles in the wrong way

Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven in general where you need to pass certain skill-based execution checks to get the information necessary to solve puzzles, or even just solve them

As someone who played both Myst and Riven and noped out of Outer Wilds after exploring 2/3rd of the planets/locations i'm p. sure they're nothing alike in actually playing the game, and at best resemble each other in whatever specific abstracted categories you've chosen to break them down into while ignoring anything else

Not that Outer Wilds isn't a fantastically crafted game, but lol @ comparing it to Myst.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's like Dead Space, but less dead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Must have missed the part in Myst and Riven where you were expected to navigate a vehicle in threedimensional space in real time to get anywhere

One of the main endgame puzzles of Myst is you piloting a minecart through a (conceptually) 3d maze of tracks. Riven's entire world is connected by rail and requires you to use spatial reasoning to figure out where everything is in relation to each other in order to solve a comparable endgame puzzle.

The world of Riven is rapidly dying in the fiction, although it isn't really realized in mechanics it is the central dilemma of the entire plot, and there are several ways to get a game over where your character dies violently.

HenryEx posted:

As someone who played both Myst and Riven and noped out of Outer Wilds after exploring 2/3rd of the planets/locations i'm p. sure they're nothing alike in actually playing the game, and at best resemble each other in whatever specific abstracted categories you've chosen to break them down into while ignoring anything else

Yes, this is how comparison works. If they were alike in all respects they'd be the same game and there'd be no need for a comparison.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 4, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Outer Wilds didn't remind me of or hit any of the same notes as Myst/Riven at ALL, what the hell

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Outer Wilds didn't remind me of or hit any of the same notes as Myst/Riven at ALL, what the hell

They're both puzzle games where you have to travel a number of interconnected worlds in order to solve puzzles that require context and knowledge from other puzzles, the knowledge largely taking the in-game form of familiarity with an alien culture, in order to prevent or escape the death throes of the world. In both games you eventually meet one or more survivors from the ancient culture who are, one way or another, preserved "out of time" and guide you through the last steps you need to survive and complete the game.

They're fairly aesthetically similar (right down to a couple zones in Outer Wilds that could almost be direct homages), particularly with respect to a sort of retro-tech where you have wood paneling and big physical gears and so on combined with more "advanced" concepts like space or interdimensional travel. The player spends most of their time alone exploring menacing environments but is only occasionally in actual danger.

Like about the only really big difference is that one is real-time and has physics modeling and the other isn't, and Outer Wilds basically just uses its physics elements to create additional context for puzzles.

By this point I'm used to people not seeing what I see in comparisons but I genuinely can't even imagine how this one is strange or difficult. The resemblance is certainly much closer than the game's other obvious, but somewhat more spoiler-heavy influence of Majora's Mask given the completely open world, lack of combat, lack of RPG elements, and the fact that you have the same suite of tools right from the beginning of the game to the end.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 4, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not sure why you're fighting so hard for this hill, who gives a poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not sure why you're fighting so hard for this hill, who gives a poo poo

you're the one who piled on to yell "what the hell" at me dude

this happens to me a lot and i'm sick of it. i don't even need people to agree, it's just really tiring trying to say something and then realize that to even have an argument about the actual thought itself you're going to have to back up three or four steps to cover background you thought was self-evident

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

One of the main endgame puzzles of Myst is you piloting a minecart through a (conceptually) 3d maze of tracks. Riven's entire world is connected by rail and requires you to use spatial reasoning to figure out where everything is in relation to each other in order to solve a comparable endgame puzzle.

I remember very vividly. I also remember that part in Riven in the holey water too in case you wanted to bring that up, but here's the thing -

If you read my statement carefully you'd notice they're nothing alike. It's like saying navigating a nethack dungeon is like driving a Forza track. You don't need spatial reasoning in Outer Wilds either to solve the :airquote: navigational puzzles :airquote: (i.e. getting anywhere) since you have an autopilot and map. The challenge and skillsets required are completely separate.

And tbh as someone who played both cases and found them to be as separate as can be, some dude Kool Aid manning in and going "actually, your experience is wrong and worthless" is kinda, ya know
but hey, i guess that's the internet

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this happens to me a lot and i'm sick of it. i don't even need people to agree, it's just really tiring trying to say something and then realize that to even have an argument about the actual thought itself you're going to have to back up three or four steps to cover background you thought was self-evident

Nobody yelled anything lmao. If this happens to you alot, maybe you need to look at the common denominator in these interactions? Either way, chill out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HenryEx posted:

If you read my statement carefully you'd notice they're nothing alike. It's like saying navigating a nethack dungeon is like driving a Forza track. You don't need spatial reasoning in Outer Wilds either to solve the :airquote: navigational puzzles :airquote: (i.e. getting anywhere) since you have an autopilot and map. The challenge and skillsets required are completely separate.

It's absolutely nothing like that, because they have vastly more in common than Nethack and Forza. I understand the one thing they don't have in common is more important to you because it represented a barrier to you enjoying it, and I don't begrudge you that, but it's not my fault you're inserting what's important to you into my statement and then getting confused.

This isn't invalidating your experience; it's just the baseline level of charity you need for metaphors to work.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 4, 2022

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

What a weird, hostile loving slapfight.

I’m getting the itch for a base buildy survivally explorer game. I played a lot of Valheim, subnautica, terraria, Stardew, Portia, Rune Factory 4, endless Minecraft, 7 D2D, and others.

I installed Conan since I haven’t played it in forever and it initially felt kinda janky, I’ll tinker more.

But yeah any other reccs?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

have u considered that you're just wrong and it's not self-evident? everyone reacting the same way doesn't mean we're all just incapable of understanding ur brilliant metaphor, you just said something stupid

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

have u considered that you're just wrong and it's not self-evident? everyone reacting the same way doesn't mean we're all just incapable of understanding ur brilliant metaphor, you just said something stupid

I said something incredibly simple and got pushback. If thread consensus were that water was dry and the sky was orange, self-doubt wouldn't be my first stop then, either.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lmfao okay grandpa

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

get fukken rekt!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Saxophone posted:

I’m getting the itch for a base buildy survivally explorer game. I played a lot of Valheim, subnautica, terraria, Stardew, Portia, Rune Factory 4, endless Minecraft, 7 D2D, and others.

I installed Conan since I haven’t played it in forever and it initially felt kinda janky, I’ll tinker more.

But yeah any other reccs?
yo get Vintage Story if you haven't yet. Basically Minecraft meets that Primitive Survival YouTube guy.