Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
one ding on neo Deus Ex is that there's a pretty good chance they'll never finish the plot arc and they set up some stuff in the second one that never pays off because they were planning to make another one.

but Deus Ex the first is in the GOAT pantheon. go ahead and mod it for your first time, you won't be missing out on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Having played it a lot, I actually really like liberty island. It's a good introduction to "We aren't going to hold your hand. Figure it out."

It does have a lot of empty space, but I understand why they'd want to avoid making it artificially smaller than in real life.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
As much as I enjoyed JC Denton and the rest of the Deus Ex story so far, I wouldn't mind if they started over to some extent, if/when they revisit the IP. Just help update and realign thing to current concerns and outlooks rather than adapting it to fit with in a timeline and precedent of stuff established with no-longer-contemporary outlooks or perspectives. Reality has really outpaced a lot of conspiracy and political fiction of the past and there's a lot of new Deus Exy stuff to play with. Then again I guess you could roughly do the same thing just setting another later sequel.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't know -- I see what you mean there, and I agree with it, but I think part of the charm of the series is that each game is almost always a product of it's time. Deus Ex was 90's conspiracy, Invisible War was early 2k nu-goober vibe, and Mankind Divided leaned super heavy into the Black Lives Matter/Aug Lives Matter zeitgeist of the late 2010's. It's right in line with the retro-futurism of other cyberpunk like Blade Runner.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Massive corporations don’t even need to meet secretly in smoke filled room any more to conspire how to run and manipulate the world.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
within the week there will be old men running the world!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Are all NPCs in Deathpool hostile?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
For all practical purposes, yes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s one NPC who isn’t, in Karl’s Bay iirc. Can’t remember what time of day. It’s a side quest.

I came back to Deathloop recently and while it’s the weakest of all Arkane games as an immersive sim, they at least proved that all that time they’d been actively discouraging open combat in their games, they’d been holding on to full-blooded FPS design that feels simply incredible to play.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

For all practical purposes, yes.

You're like one if those commanders who give approval and unleash a massacre, finally cleared the map after being afraid to — thank you.

Went back to Dishonored 2 and after five seconds with this arc jump dark sorcery power it's my favorite thing ever.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
speaking of Thief, here's something to watch out for.

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1566222244111458304?s=20&t=hCb4jB6GFZBpeE7ptzapjA

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've never heard of this game before but drat if they didn't nail the atmosphere at art style perfectly.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

KillHour posted:

I've never heard of this game before but drat if they didn't nail the atmosphere at art style perfectly.

I think it's been mostly one guy making it for a few years now - the wait has been agonising.

There's a demo up on steam still from the last demo fest thing.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
The whole club bit, with Chief Sho singing while you're blasting away, was one of the best moments!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Basic Chunnel posted:

I came back to Deathloop recently and while it’s the weakest of all Arkane games as an immersive sim, they at least proved that all that time they’d been actively discouraging open combat in their games, they’d been holding on to full-blooded FPS design that feels simply incredible to play.

I still can't believe that when Deathloop's lead designer (in Arkane Lyon) heard that Prey: Mooncrash (from Arkane Austin) was also 'A time loop game' he REFUSED TO LOOK AT OR PLAY IT because he didn't want to inadvertently copy them or be influenced by their work.

And so we have the disappointment that is Deathloop's design. Wilfully avoiding opportunities to learn from someone else's mistakes is just insane.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

As mentioned, there is a demo, and while it seems quite outdated compared to the current videos & screenshots, it's still excellent. This game is one to watch, if the final product is as good as the demo it will be up there with the rest of the immersive sim classics, and it looks like it's going to be good. There are two guys making it - the one linked here, and the other is the guy who made DUSK, which was excellent.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Plan R posted:

The whole club bit, with Chief Sho singing while you're blasting away, was one of the best moments!

I was struggling a little with the game until this point, and it absolutely crystallized for me right here.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Teledahn posted:

I still can't believe that when Deathloop's lead designer (in Arkane Lyon) heard that Prey: Mooncrash (from Arkane Austin) was also 'A time loop game' he REFUSED TO LOOK AT OR PLAY IT because he didn't want to inadvertently copy them or be influenced by their work.

And so we have the disappointment that is Deathloop's design. Wilfully avoiding opportunities to learn from someone else's mistakes is just insane.

are you fuckin kidding me? lmao

I assumed Mooncrash was like the test case for the new full size game they were making that became Deathloop.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah it came up in this thread at the time, everyone made the same assumption and it was unreal to learn that no, this was not the case.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It drives me nuts especially because there are maybe more ways to influence other sections of the moon base than there are in Mooncrash. Like, you can nuke the bunker in Deathloop and rearrange where some of the visionaries are, and that’s it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

It drives me nuts especially because there are maybe more ways to influence other sections of the moon base than there are in Mooncrash. Like, you can nuke the bunker in Deathloop and rearrange where some of the visionaries are, and that’s it.

And there is exactly one path to do it to get all the Visionaries where you need them, which was disappointing. Mooncrash did require you to go in a specific order for a "final" run, and some of the objectives were mutually exclusive, but it was a lot more free-form and wasn't spelled out for you. I really wish they had talked; Deathloop had some cool and poo poo moments but the way Mooncrash handled the Loop and pseudo-roguelike nature of it was way better.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

And there is exactly one path to do it to get all the Visionaries where you need them, which was disappointing. Mooncrash did require you to go in a specific order for a "final" run, and some of the objectives were mutually exclusive, but it was a lot more free-form and wasn't spelled out for you. I really wish they had talked; Deathloop had some cool and poo poo moments but the way Mooncrash handled the Loop and pseudo-roguelike nature of it was way better.

The cool part of Mooncrash is that discovering the way to complete the game also becomes an investigative experience into what happened on the Moonbase. The way you complete the game is the way events most likely played out and as you get closer to an optimal way to win the game you get closer to the truth. It's a unique story telling experience in gaming for me and I haven't had an experience like it since System Shock's audio logs.

On the flip side, Deathloop's function is to solve an elaborate escape room, but the proper way is spelled out for you. It adds obfuscation with the Julie encounters and some very small variations in storytelling by changing events in the loop, but is otherwise a lot more A-B-C then D for the solution than what Mooncrash offers.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I was burned out after playing through the base game four times. So Mooncrash is good then? Worth a reinstall?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Teledahn posted:

That's so mind-boggling to me, and I absolutely avoid reading stuff that's too "similar" to the poo poo I'm already making because I don't want to incidentally take from them or box myself in avoiding things I consider "off limits" knowing the other thing did it, but that's personal work that nobody is asking for or paying for in any way. I don't avoid looking at my coworkers' works and past designs at work, (and often the designs of whoever the client sent us wanting us to make something not entirely unlike it) it's important to check what has worked and what doesn't, know what elements client wants repeated and what needs to be anything but that. In the context of something much more complex and collaborative like a videogame, from the same publisher and company, just not even trying to learn from what's been learned is just bad sense and direction.

Explains a lot about Deathloop, basically all the parts for a great game with just a little, like, round two for additional feedback before a final proof to publish, which they had available and ignored.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Plan R posted:

I was burned out after playing through the base game four times. So Mooncrash is good then? Worth a reinstall?
Absolutely

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Plan R posted:

It's a completely different kind of game using the same enemies and mechanics. And it's still somehow great.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Plan R posted:

Each loop runs on a timer, which can be kind of aggravating if you play these games slow and careful like I do. (The timer is necessary though.) It's designed really well and is still absolutely an immersive sim, despite the differences.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I played Deathloop and I kind of liked how there was only one solution to the game. For me, it meant that the game kind of went through an exploratory phase, then a more focused investigation phase, and then a set em up and knock em down phase. Each time you figure out what powers and weapons are going to be most useful for your objective that level.

Also, as you get better at the game you just become a monster, flowing through levels just slaughtering.

I think Prey is their best game, however, and probably one of the best games ever made.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Nice! I heard they lost the Alex VA for it but eh, no big.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Twobirds posted:

Each loop runs on a timer, which can be kind of aggravating if you play these games slow and careful like I do. (The timer is necessary though.) It's designed really well and is still absolutely an immersive sim, despite the differences.

That's exactly why I like Mooncrash - it's designed to push against the way that is comfortable and familiar and optimal in immersive sims. Except, Arkane did it without undermining what makes it a good immersive sim, so as you play more, you start to feel a measure of control & familiarity again but without feeling the need to cling to the obsessive tendencies that plague players in this genre.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Deathloop really helped me finally break my crabwalking ways and use the tools available to me to get the mission done as efficiently and quickly as possible without acting like I'm gonna get an MGS5 rank after each mission. But Mooncrash really drilled the pilot hole for it, I never much runned or gunned by by the end of Mooncrash my areas navigation was more aggressive.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Teledahn posted:

Wow. I had thought "huh, they apparently must have enjoyed Mooncrash so much they decided to continue exploring time loop dynamics" but now it makes sense because it's so clearly a step backwards in a lot of ways.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Wow. I had thought "huh, they apparently must have enjoyed Mooncrash so much they decided to continue exploring time loop dynamics" but now it makes sense because it's so clearly a step backwards in a lot of ways.

They made an immersive sim time loop game without a global timer. It is amazing, but not done right.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1567060317082902528?s=20&t=lefLYgBQARiROvby4kwFDA

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gloomwood Exploding Safe % speedrun category incoming

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s only the true code if its 0451 anyways.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74EEXU-OEZo

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So far Prey remains at the top of their games for me, just the gameplay, story, setting all make it pop.

Deathloop is cool, a good game even if a bit more on the combat side for me. Or maybe rather that it's hard in places? I really like it, but sometimes going back to a place to throw a switch is annoying when you need to slog back to the exit.

Dishonored 2 is great. Won't lie, I've ignored almost all of this chick's powers outside of super jump and shadow sewer crawl, but it doesn't feel like anymore are needed.

I started the first Deus Ex, with the mod suggested. Skill points seem to be scarce in this game — and it's definitely a bit tougher than the other ones. But it's great. So far the only drag has been some missions unexpectedly caused me to have no choice but to return to HQ when I had another goal to do. Control scheme took a bit but it's aged comparatively well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

It’s only the true code if its 0451 anyways.

451 was first :colbert:

(and followed by 45100, setting precedent for zero-padding it if your game can't do three-digit codes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The code originated from the code to get into the Looking Glass offices and those codes are p much always 4 digits so without doing any fact checking whatsoever I’m assuming 0451 was in fact the original