Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i dunno photographing a chick with a shaved head while smashing someones car window out with a bat in the middle of the night is sort of demanding

edit: oops i did it again, a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
You all have some serious Stockholm syndrome on the Canon model names. On one hand, I'm not sure I could come up with something perfect, but having multiple different conventions depending on if its a consumer, prosumer, or "professsional" camera is utterly confusing for a newbie. Then throw in utterly weird poo poo like the 77D and just to really gently caress with people. And don't even get me started on the consumer SLR stuff. Is it a 800D, a T7i or a Kiss X9i? Oh, and there's a T7 which sounds almost exactly the same, but is a huge downgrade in specs. I'm curious to see if they'll just be consistent and do mk2, etc. for all the R stuff, but that seems too sensible.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm always looking at Flickr stuff and it shows photos by a 1200D and I have no idea since they name them all differently all over the world.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

echinopsis posted:

don't try to unvalidate me lol

It's okay, you're still valid. The 7D has is ergonomic, built well, and you can set the exposure without the menus. Checks all the boxes!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The 7D is a semi-professional camera with a crop sensor. It's plenty good.

Of course, even the 5D is considered to be semi-professional (I read somewhere that only the 1D is considered to be a professional camera), even though it is the workhorse of actual professional photographers. At the last wedding I went to, the photographer was lugging around 2 5d4s with different lenses.

Generally, the camera bodies with a single digit are professional or semi-professional and are usually the only ones with any weather sealing. Generally, all of them are full frame except for the 7D.

The camera bodies with two digits, like the Canon EOS 60D, are nice cameras but not as good as the ones with single digits. They can be seen as more "Enthusiast" class.

The ones with 3 digits, like the Canon EOS 550D, are more "consumer-level" than anything, but can hold their own. In fact, the Canon EOS 550D and the Canon Rebel T2i are basically the same camera, but named differently depending on the market (the latter appears more in the Americas).

And then there's stuff like the Canon EOS 300X, aka Canon Rebel T2, that really cheap out on components and are probably not great purchases unless you're getting it for free.

Of course, I could be getting any of the above wrong, but I'm pretty sure about most of this.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not often mentioned great feature of the 7D is the full coverage and 1 to 1 magnification viewfinder. It is a true WYSIWYG viewfinder you don't get even in the 1D series.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think the true beauty of it, and this is true of a lot of cameras now, is that it's a professional level camera that you can get for very cheap.

this is defo a golden age for photography. my 13yo uses my 7D now.. he's so privileged and lucky to be using a camera that is totally capable of amazing photos.

We have definitely passed some kind of milestone where the barrier to entry of amazing photography was money. The barrier is now just experience/skill.

I started with a 350D and I sold it recently for $40. while it was pretty average, the implication that for $40 someone can buy a DSLR is crazy. I took many good and memorable photos of my kids when they were young with that.

Camera technology is weird compared to say ipads or laptops. A decade+ old laptop is worthless with today's websites etc, but a decade+ camera, provided it can still work OK, can still take decently great photos.

the 7D came out in 09, it's a fuckin teenager, and it's fine, and in some ways, it forces you to think about exposure in a way you don't need to with a mirrorless.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just about to buy him an OG nifty fifty for that camera (I have one of the newer ones for myself)

equiv of about 80mm on crop. but f/1.8....

if you can't take good photos with a 7d and 50mm f/1.8 the problem isn't the gear

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yeah, the bodies get more affordable with age but the lenses (particularly the professional ones) are always pretty pricey. At least you can swap them around if you trust your buddy enough with 'em!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
40mm pancake

that is all

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The arrival of RF has had some suppressing effect on EF lenses. Not by a ton, but it is there.

The first gen EF 24-105 can be acquired for peanuts and still hasn't been beat optically.. most of the improvements have been autofocus noise and lens coatings.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

IMO the problems, if any, with high-quality older DSLRs like the 7D isn’t in the sensor tech. Even though they have a higher noise floors at base ISO than modern sensors and you have to set ISO more for the shot than just boosting the raw in post, a lot of those older sensors still make images that have great detail and color. I look back at all my 7D and 5DII photos in LR and kind of feel like even the stuff made with my Fujis doesn’t have quite the pictorial quality of those older camera files. Seems to be something about how they reproduce warmer tones especially.

The real problem with buying older DSLR gear is the SLR part. Mirror boxes, springs, dampeners, AF modules, etc. … all the little electromechanical components can get loose and inaccurate after hundreds of thousands of actuations, and lubricants can lose their specified viscosity. Be sure to buy cautiously and check shutter counts.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was just wondering to myself while photo walking around that I think lens tech has been bumped up too. Todays cheap RF lens have incredible image quality. The differences people are showing between their Ls is becoming less and less, while the speed distancing is catching up as well. They just need to figure out how to waterproof everything without making it all weigh twice as much because it's solid metal.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 4, 2022

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I do a lot of sports photography and video and I'm leaning towards buying the R5C as a much needed upgrade from my current combo of a 5Dmk3 for photography and 80D for video. The only thing putting me a bit off is that they removed the IBIS for the C-model. Now granted, I've never shot with an IBIS camera, so I don't know how much a loss that is on the photography side, but should I settle for the regular R5 instead if I'm like 60/40 photography to video?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I bought the R5C, so please don't answer the question if it will make me feel bad.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for what it's worth

I've never experienced ibis

unless you mean irritable bowel syndrome

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
According to some article I rea, Canon have been leaning on third party lens manufacturers to stop selling RF lenses. Or at least autofocus capable RF lenses, Laowa are still selling manual RF mount macro lenses, but Samyang and Viltrox have pulled all RF lenses and support software for them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
It's a pretty classic move, but hearing that pretty much instantly killed the desire I have to move to an RF camera. My lens collection is roughly 2/3 3rd party lenses (EF/EF-M) and I have zero faith that we'll be seeing a bunch of reasonably priced Canon glass down the line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure why third party companies would listen, they don't get any tech specs from Canon do they? They've always operated in a weird grey area and I thought first parties ignored them because it wasn't worth the trouble.

I guess Canon is bigger and has more lawyers, and I suppose it depends on if any of these lenses violate patents.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Man this might actually get me to switch to Sony if I go full frame, anticipating eventual Sigma and Tamron RF lenses was a big reason for staying in the Canon universe.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't need a new camera for a few years but I am definitely going to have my GAS tested when the R5ii comes along. If there's no Sigma/Tamron alternative to L glass though it's going to be an easier impulse to resist.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Canon has my bases covered currently, but I'd be lying if I didn't want to try out all those cool looking Chinese lenses coming out left and right.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grimson posted:

I do a lot of sports photography and video and I'm leaning towards buying the R5C as a much needed upgrade from my current combo of a 5Dmk3 for photography and 80D for video. The only thing putting me a bit off is that they removed the IBIS for the C-model. Now granted, I've never shot with an IBIS camera, so I don't know how much a loss that is on the photography side, but should I settle for the regular R5 instead if I'm like 60/40 photography to video?

Any full-frame camera with IBIS that I've ever used has never impressed me. My GH5's IBIS is loving great, but that's only because M43's smaller sensor is known for having better IBIS capabilities in general due to the size of the lens mount. It's the one time where a small sensor is actually beneficial.

If you're worried about stabilization just learn how to use 3 points of contact on your camera while shooting. Or just lean against a surface or prop your camera on something steady while shooting, like a desk or nearby pillar. Or bring along a monopod. Monopod is life.

Not to go all photobro on you buuuut: history's greatest photographers didn't need IBIS to get award winning shots so chances are you can probably do without it.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You all have some serious Stockholm syndrome on the Canon model names. On one hand, I'm not sure I could come up with something perfect, but having multiple different conventions depending on if its a consumer, prosumer, or "professsional" camera is utterly confusing for a newbie. Then throw in utterly weird poo poo like the 77D and just to really gently caress with people. And don't even get me started on the consumer SLR stuff. Is it a 800D, a T7i or a Kiss X9i? Oh, and there's a T7 which sounds almost exactly the same, but is a huge downgrade in specs. I'm curious to see if they'll just be consistent and do mk2, etc. for all the R stuff, but that seems too sensible.
Yeah Canon's naming convention is not great. Love the cameras but:

Canon EOS Rebel T6s aka the EOS 760D aka EOS 8000D. Canon C100 theeen... Canon C70 which is a supposed upgrade. But C200 is also a slight upgrade over the C300 mk1. Like wat.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 10, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Helen Highwater posted:

According to some article I rea, Canon have been leaning on third party lens manufacturers to stop selling RF lenses. Or at least autofocus capable RF lenses, Laowa are still selling manual RF mount macro lenses, but Samyang and Viltrox have pulled all RF lenses and support software for them.

Apparently it's due to those manufacturers having reverse-engineered the RF autofocus mechanics or otherwise managed to make it work without the licensing fees from canon which I believe make it financially infeasible to do so.

which sucks

but I have an EF sigma lens and it's excellent on my R

melon cat posted:

Not to go all photobro on you buuuut: history's greatest photographers didn't need IBIS to get award winning shots so chances are you can probably do without it.

I just shoot at 1/500 come at me

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

but I have an EF sigma lens and it's excellent on my R
Which one it is? I'm using Tamron 24-70 G2 on my R6 and it works like a treat ... Except when it decides to to stop focusing every goddamn time I start to take a picture. Pulling battery works. I have no idea what even triggers it because most of the time it works perfectly with no problems.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's the 135mm f/1.8 on the R and I use a canon EF->RF adapter

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Helen Highwater posted:

That really sucks if it's accurate. The EF/RF converter works fine but I was really hoping that Sigma and Tamron would port some of their nice AF lenses to the R mount in the reasonably near future.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does “picture style” matter if you shoot raw

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No, but I've found Lightroom will use monochrome if you shoot in the mono profile. You can select it over to color tho if you want, all the info is there.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Too bad for Canon users. The new Sigma DG DN lenses are all very nice - 20,24,35,85mm 1.4 Art lenses at least. You can't get anything similar in RF mount.

85/1.2 RF is 2.5x more expensive and 2x heavier.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been looking at the RF 24mm 1.8 IS. I really enjoy my EF-S 24mm 2.8 non-IS and can do handhelds at 1/4" currently. Do the Sigmas have IS?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 7, 2022

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've been doing almost exclusively nature photography but I'm starting to get some paid work shooting humans, like, indoors and stuff. Small venue music stuff plus maybe some normal events photos, group photos, etc.

I'm feeling good about the bodies I have (5D4 and R6).

The zoom trinity is 16-35 / 24-70 / 70-200, so...

The one I really need out of these is the 24-70. I've started reading up and I think I want the 24-70/4 IS. Sharp and cheaper than the /2.8 or the Sigma. Am I crazy for not immediately leaning towards the faster lenses here? Is there some magic reason to have at least one lens that's /2.8? Love to hear your personal experiences or see any useful/practical links you can share.

The other two I've got more or less covered with existing lenses (17-40L and 70-300L).

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Events are always, alwaaaays dark, I would def go for f/2.8. And for me, out of the trinity you mention, 70-200 f/2.8 is in my opinion a must have. 24-70 you can fake with cheaper primes but not that one.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I imagine small venue music stuff is especially dark, so a faster lens tends to be almost always better. And agreed on the 70-200, that's a workhorse.

You can also look into renting stuff for the gigs that you get paid for, and then buy the lenses later.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the perspective.

Can I ask what the biggest deal is with 2.8 vs. 4? Seems like they would differ in:
1) Total light @2.8 v 4
2) possibly AF ability in low light
3) DOF

#1 seems like the most important but also something I can make up for with the sensor in the R6. Am I thinking about this wrong?

70-200 is too long for the small venue stuff I've done so far but I can see how it might be important for other things in the future. A 70-200 + 1.4x would pretty much give me what I have with the 70-300.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Can I ask what the biggest deal is with 2.8 vs. 4? Seems like they would differ in:
1) Total light @2.8 v 4

#1 seems like the most important but also something I can make up for with the sensor in the R6. Am I thinking about this wrong?

No you are correct but maybe underestimating how high your ISO needs to be. It can be the difference between ISO 4000 and 8000. Or you set your ISO to the highest you can tolerate and then get a stop faster shutter, which will let you capture shots that would have been blurred from subject motion otherwise.

The best test might be to go to the venue (or one like it) and see what camera settings you want to use. See if a stop of shutter or ISO is important to you.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

1) Total light @2.8 v 4
3) DOF

70-200 is too long for the small venue stuff I've done so far but I can see how it might be important for other things in the future. A 70-200 + 1.4x would pretty much give me what I have with the 70-300.

In my experience shooting concert stuff my main lenses was a 50 and the 70-200, both for the speed. I've transitioned to mainly shooting sports after that and the 70-200 is the one I keep with me at all times, it's just too useful and it's a must if you shoot anything that involves fast motion and bad lighting.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

1) Total light @2.8 v 4
3) DOF

Also, about 1 kg in weight!

I've used 70-200 f/4 also, it's great outdoors but indoors ... Well I'm happy that R6 lets me push ISO to 25600 with files looking about same as m4/3 looked at 6400.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have the 24-70 f/4L and I've shot concerts with it. It's a great lens and I've never found that I'm really missing that extra stop of light to be honest (shooting on a 5Div). I'm fine with opening up the ISO though so YMMV.

IMG_9810-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM
ƒ/4.0 70.0 mm 1/60 ISO 1000

IMG_9959.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM
ƒ/4.0 70.0 mm 1/250 ISO 12800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Even if you can get really close, the 70-200 is good for close-ups and detail shots.