Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

well why not posted:

Drew Carey Show was funny and he himself is an odd guy. He was a marine and the story with his girlfriends is certainly something. One he (apparently, rumour) found on a camsite and another was a sex therapist who was sadly murdered.

Interesting guy.

You should listen to his Dirty Jokes and Beer. He talks about being awkward in his early years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
His show introduced me to Ryan Stiles and Diedrich Bader who are both absolute gems of people so he's forgiven for a lot of stuff.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

I was too young to appreciate the Drew Carrey show and this thread is showing me I really missed out

It's good though, I think the later seasons suffer from:

1) A lack of Christa Miller
2) Relying a little too much on the anything goes type of humor (too many musical montages, getting increasingly absurd)

Mind you, its been decades since I scene it.

Also, I would say for the time, with a show of super white straight dude, show was extremally pro LGBTQIA (even if its not outright said like that).

edit: Of course right when I find the video thinking that it would prove my point Drew makes a trans joke... but for the mid 90s its still pretty good.

Mooseontheloose has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Sep 4, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's good though, I think the later seasons suffer from:

1) A lack of Christa Miller
2) Relying a little too much on the anything goes type of humor (too many musical montages, getting increasingly absurd)

Mind you, its been decades since I scene it.

Also, I would say for the time, with a show of super white straight dude, show was extremally pro LGBTQIA (even if its not outright said like that).

edit: Of course right when I find the video thinking that it would prove my point Drew makes a trans joke... but for the mid 90s its still pretty good.

The ratings had dropped out but the network had to finish out his contract. The last season was nuts because they knew they were going out anyway. One weird thing was building full sets with the fourth wall in place.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Mooseontheloose posted:

I feel like just the fact there was even a dance-off involving Rocky Horror versus Priscilla Queen Of The Desert at all already made it leagues ahead of sitcoms of the time re: queer themes and references. Like a lot of them would have maybe an episode or two centered around things but in Drew Carey it was kind of just peppered throughout. Like the constant musical bits aside, Mimi's entire look feels heavily drag inspired. I remember thinking it was pretty progressive as a kid that she ended up with Drew's brother who was IIRC an open crossdresser. I think their first kiss was literally them flirting over what lipstick the other used :hmmyes:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This scene feels so much like a whose line skit

I think the Drew Carey show theme song lyrics are burned into my brain despite not remembering any episode besides the one where Ryan Stiles and another guy make a karaoke album, but it's just wipeout and the tequila song

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I remembered Drew Carey as the guy who would show up if you had a big enough party in the Sims 1

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Drew Carey show also introduced Americans to Craig Ferguson, so I don't think there's any sin that it can't be forgiven for.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I think Drew Carey used to write for Reason magazine but I also remember one time he was palling with some antifa dudes and when some guy got mad about it Carey told him to stop being a dick so he's a land of contrasts

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Humerus posted:

I loved the Drew Carey Show. I was probably too young to watch it but here we are. I remember the last few seasons weren't great but even they had their moments. Like when Drew's department store goes out of business the building is bought by a tech startup and Drew gets a job there (I think simply because he showed up one day and didn't know the store went out of business) and he didn't know what his job actually was but he was getting paid well for it. They had all the techbro poo poo like the founders riding Segways around the office and stuff like that.

I remember watching this and I’m pretty sure one of those techbros was a pre-Always Sunny Kaitlin Olsen.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I feel like just the fact there was even a dance-off involving Rocky Horror versus Priscilla Queen Of The Desert at all already made it leagues ahead of sitcoms of the time re: queer themes and references. Like a lot of them would have maybe an episode or two centered around things but in Drew Carey it was kind of just peppered throughout. Like the constant musical bits aside, Mimi's entire look feels heavily drag inspired. I remember thinking it was pretty progressive as a kid that she ended up with Drew's brother who was IIRC an open crossdresser. I think their first kiss was literally them flirting over what lipstick the other used :hmmyes:

Funny I was also thinking about Drew's brother being somewhat progressive - I remember an episode where the bar did a Ladies Night (iirc because all the crossdressing friends of Drew's brother started hanging out there) and he got mad because they didn't give him the ladies night discount: "I'm not a woman but I am a lady" feels more progressive than most shows were at the time.
Then I remember how when he and Mimi had a kid he said that Mimi made him stop crossdressing so their kid wouldn't get confused.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There were so many jokes at the expense of Kathy Kinney's appearance about how show-Mimi is just show-Drew (in personality too) that occasionally it would imply they are literally the same person and Mimi's not real when it got real irreverent. He wrote himself being the oblivious one in those exchanges most of the time, flabby pot calling the kettle fat type stuff. Jokes like that usually went down the '... but it's okay because!' road and pulled it off imo.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Sep 4, 2022

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

quote:

Bighearted Drew Carey’s kept it hush-hush, but he’s secretly buying lunch and dinner for all picketing writers in LA and Hollywood for the duration of the… strike. Drew quietly made arrangements with area diners like Norms, Swingers, Mel’s and Denny’s – so all the writers have to do is flash their WGA cards and get fed!

During the writer's strike in 08 or thereabouts Drew Carey was giving free meals to strikers so he gets my vote

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
everything i know about drew carey indicates his personal politics might not be perfect but his personal character is incredible, and that counts for far, far more in 2022 imo.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
The Drew Carey Show had him break his dick for several weeks because he fell on his erection and that fear has stayed with me for decades.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can only break your dick by applying sufficient single direction force on the erect penis. Someone hits you in the dick, it just gets bruised and you can't use it for a day or two. Somebody hits while you've got a boner, yes you can break your dick and it takes weeks to recover.

It used to be worse. Humans evolved out of penis bones (bacula) and there are several theories floating around in the scientific community why. My favorite one is that early hominids kept kicking each other in the dick so the bacula got smaller and eventually just vanished completely.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He had a stiffy and fell directly on it. I believe it could happen.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Kwyndig posted:

You can only break your dick by applying sufficient single direction force on the erect penis. Someone hits you in the dick, it just gets bruised and you can't use it for a day or two. Somebody hits while you've got a boner, yes you can break your dick and it takes weeks to recover.

It used to be worse. Humans evolved out of penis bones (bacula) and there are several theories floating around in the scientific community why. My favorite one is that early hominids kept kicking each other in the dick so the bacula got smaller and eventually just vanished completely.

Hello, it's me, Scott Bonerbone.
\

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Drew Carey was kind of an outlier anyways. He was a marine corps sergeant (reserves, but still…) when he started doing stand-up, which could probably help to explain maybe a little bit of the weirder stuff in his show.

I can sort-of see him yelling at privates to get things done so he can go home and drink a beer, but not really.

Carey's signature glasses are the 'BC', aka 'Birth Control' glasses that are standard issue in the Marines iirc.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1566016621390360577?s=21&t=GULFABdZP5DfdnNaJ_uozw

Media that did not age well: Today, we understand they were wrong to do so

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Sep 4, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Humerus posted:

Funny I was also thinking about Drew's brother being somewhat progressive - I remember an episode where the bar did a Ladies Night (iirc because all the crossdressing friends of Drew's brother started hanging out there) and he got mad because they didn't give him the ladies night discount: "I'm not a woman but I am a lady" feels more progressive than most shows were at the time.
Then I remember how when he and Mimi had a kid he said that Mimi made him stop crossdressing so their kid wouldn't get confused.

IIRC, she wouldn't even sleep with him until he stopped crossdressing. Like, they were dating, but she made it clear sex wasn't happening unless he wasn't in drag.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kwyndig posted:

It lasted until the first prehistoric family reunion when the cousins started a touch football game, and subsequently an entire family of males mutually destroyed their dickbones

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kwyndig posted:

Didn't this happen in one of those late 90s/early 00s high school/college movies and the skinny, awkward protagonist gets his dick snapped by a teacher as part of a prank gone wrong or something?

I specifically remember it because one of his nicknames through the movie was "Brokedick"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aces High posted:

Didn't this happen in one of those late 90s/early 00s high school/college movies and the skinny, awkward protagonist gets his dick snapped by a teacher as part of a prank gone wrong or something?

I specifically remember it because one of his nicknames through the movie was "Brokedick"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAX0e5s2d0

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Brawnfire posted:

It lasted until the first prehistoric family reunion when the cousins started a touch football game, and subsequently an entire family of males mutually destroyed their dickbones

Dickbones! Meet the Dickbones! They're the modern Bone Age family!
From the town of Bonecock, they're a page right out of history!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Watching an episode of Dragnet from 1968 where the police are trying to finds ways to prevent teens from using drugs. Since they know teens won't listen to adults, they recruit a bunch of straight-laced teens (The Smarteen Club!) to come up with ways to shame their fellow teens into not using.

A few slogans they came up with:

S.O.S. - Stamp out stupidity
Keep off the grass
Any moron can smoke pot...and most morons do!
When flower children go to pot....they become blooming idiots
POT - Plenty of trouble
Speed kills - Don't "meth" around

Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pacb4hjyPo0

This was probably cringe-worthy then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The best part is how the sweaty teens keep standing at their desks whenever they talk. Very natural.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I find the best way to keep teens from doing drugs is to do them all myself first

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
If I were a dirty drug-takin' teenager the only group less likely than adults to convince me to stop taking drugs than would be dweeby straight-laced teens

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I mean, everyone realizes they're all on amphetamines, right? Why are we giving them the time of day?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll admit, I thought "Keep off the grass" wasn't that bad for a slogan. The rest are hot garbage though.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Kingdom posted:

Watching an episode of Dragnet from 1968 where the police are trying to finds ways to prevent teens from using drugs. Since they know teens won't listen to adults, they recruit a bunch of straight-laced teens (The Smarteen Club!) to come up with ways to shame their fellow teens into not using.

A few slogans they came up with:

S.O.S. - Stamp out stupidity
Keep off the grass
Any moron can smoke pot...and most morons do!
When flower children go to pot....they become blooming idiots
POT - Plenty of trouble
Speed kills - Don't "meth" around

Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pacb4hjyPo0

This was probably cringe-worthy then.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I could see this being a funny, if still not that effective campaign, if it was like Mike Tyson too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Don't worry, we eventually got Nancy Reagan turning up on sitcoms to tell kids to just say no.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

William S. Sessions, Director, FBI posted:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

One of the stars of dragnet, I don’t know which one, was a massive alcoholic

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RandolphCarter posted:

One of the stars of dragnet, I don’t know which one, was a massive alcoholic

Jack Webb, the dark haired one who wasn't in Mash.
The guy from Mash wasn't an alcoholic as far as I know, he just beat the poo poo out of his wife.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

AFewBricksShy posted:

The guy from Mash wasn't an alcoholic as far as I know, he just beat the poo poo out of his wife.

God loving dammit

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AFewBricksShy posted:

Jack Webb, the dark haired one who wasn't in Mash.

Oh goddamnit, I just looked that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Who are we talking about? I can't find anyone from MASH in the listings but to be fair I am very tired.