Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

gschmidl posted:

Semper F#

Bassooning Wonderful Music: Semper F#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hydrocarbonenema
Mar 4, 2017

Fun Shoe
Being a in a military band is one of the few ways to not be BWM and have a career in music, you get health insurance and a pension and generally don’t have to deploy. Downside is that you need to work a lot of nights and weekends but I think that is part of the plan with musicians in general. There are a surprising number of military bands in all services all over the world and you basically just transfer from band to band depending on your needs. A lot of the bands have singing ensembles, rock groups, and string sections. Also I think a lot of these guys make bank giving private lessons in their off time as well although I once met a particularly BWM musician who owed the IRS for his off the book income and was headed to Leavenworth for the military consequences of that.

Overall probably one of the few good deals in the military which is an organization I generally don’t recommend for your average goon.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Military drummers, buglers, etc moving off the front lines has to be one of the largest occupation specific improvements in workplace safety of all time

Ain't nobody getting a VC for playing the pipes any more.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Humerus posted:

A guy I used to work with got a new job and almost immediately went to a work conference for like 3 weeks and they gave him a generous per diem, which he used to buy bread and deli meat and poo poo and make cheap food. He got to keep the rest and used it for...that $500 (iirc) Lego Millennium Falcon. I guess at least it was extra money he hadn't counted on beforehand but still.

I worked for about 5 years at a company that gave good per diems and I traveled a lot. I had enough status with airline and hotels and had lounge access for all the free food, so I’d keep almost all of my unspent per diem. I used it to pay down my student loan debt though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

At my first job I had a 70+ YO coworker who would exclusively eat fast food to pocket as much of his per diem as possible.

Like I get it, I was living off the free hotel fruit to pocket the money to pay down my student loans, but at 70 what are you saving for

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not a Children posted:

at 70 what are you saving for

Retirement.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Back in the 90s when I was consulting for a Big Six firm, at one point on our account our policy was that we were reimbursed for actual expenses, but receipts were only required for breakfasts or dinners costing $75 or more. The majority of people on the account would usually eat McDonalds and then submit for a $72 dinner.

I on the other hand was scrupulously honest, and usually just went to the hotel restaurant so I could get points for my meal expenses, ate dinner, and practiced my at-the-time active alcoholism by ordering multiple beers or a bottle of wine with my meal, and then finishing it off with a belt or two of aged Scotch (before going up to my room and continuing on my own supply). BWM and BWL (bad with liver)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Best with money and health is a per diem, and reasonable accommodation request due to dietary needs, getting the employer to book a room with a kitchenette, so you can actually cook decently for yourself when on travel.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Brass / Woodwinds Music: Semper ♭

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Brass / Woodwinds Music: Semper ♭

Bagpiping With Marines

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Anne Whateley posted:

This has existed for years and I see billboards all over the place. It's called Neighbor :shepface:

There is/was also one called “Stache”

https://www.stache.com

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mantle posted:

Eligibility for unreduced pension starts at 25 years of service and it's superannuated to 75% of income earned in your best 5 years or something like that. You could theoretically be pulling a pension at around age 45 if you joined young.

This is not uncommon in the US with military people. Get in at 18 (or 22 if you went the officer route via college), do 20 years, get out at 38/42 with a full pension and then start a second career to supplement it.

Of course that requires you to stay in the military for 20 years, which is never a sure thing due to how promotions etc work.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Busking With Marines: Semper F#

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Humerus posted:

A guy I used to work with got a new job and almost immediately went to a work conference for like 3 weeks and they gave him a generous per diem, which he used to buy bread and deli meat and poo poo and make cheap food. He got to keep the rest and used it for...that $500 (iirc) Lego Millennium Falcon. I guess at least it was extra money he hadn't counted on beforehand but still.

at least it wasn't shirts with incredibly complicated patterns

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I've been to the theatre about 150 times this year, I'd love for Movie pass to be good, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of having to see matinees or risk not seeing a film with a limited stay like most smaller films or foregin films and I'm sure they aren't covering for events like Fathom

I'm in awe of this number. How did you find 150 movies in theater to watch in eight months?

I'm not sure how many times I've gone to the movies in my life (mid 30s), but I want to say that it's under 50 for sure.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, if we're talking the year so far that's seeing a movie slightly more than every other day. Very impressive tbh.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a friend whose sole identity since his divorce years ago is Alamo Drafthouse guy. He goes there probably every other day to watch whatever special screenings they do. Me, I don't think I can name 6 movies released this year I would care enough to see in a theater, and I enjoy going to movies.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kefit posted:

I have a friend who was an incredibly talented cello player back in high school. I'm pretty sure he got a cello scholarship for college.

The professional progression curriculum was so intense that it caused him to burn out on cello permanently and drop out of college. His primary shot at college was essentially completely wasted. Now he's way underskilled and underemployed for someone as generally smart and competent as he is.

His experience, among others, convinced me that serious pursuit of playing an instrument is almost always BWM and BWL. Playing trumpet was a huge part of my life in high school, but I have zero regrets about dropping it completely as soon as I graduated.

Music is like sports: doing it as a side , or even double major , in college itself or whatever can be a very good thing for someone’s development.

I partially majored in music and in no way make any of my income from music now. But I do feel I got a lot out of it and it gave me a leg up in certain scenarios in terms of how I approach things.

Also, there are volunteer / community bands of all sorts nationwide. There are def options that are challenging high school / college level bands if you look. Maybe less so if you live in rural areas I guess.

Cyrano4747 posted:

My understanding is that if you're good with your instrument but not quite orchestral good one of the big career options is the military. They've got a special recruiting pipeline and MOS for musicians. The top line stuff like the USMC presidential band are rigorous as hell in their own right but there's a bunch of lower-tier stuff like unit musicians.

I'm foggy on the details but I think the people who audition well enough to get in the actual no bullshit "we play for the president" USMC band get to skip boot camp while the ones who don't make that cut still go through boot camp but afterwards skip a bunch of stuff, kind of like computer touchers.

USMC page on it.

Good friends of ours have made their entire career in army band. You def need the chops to do it, but it def pays really well. You just have to be willing to move since it’s military, and you’re pretty far down the list, but of course you are also in the military if like, WWIII happens and literally everyone has to fight or whatever.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is not uncommon in the US with military people. Get in at 18 (or 22 if you went the officer route via college), do 20 years, get out at 38/42 with a full pension and then start a second career to supplement it.

Of course that requires you to stay in the military for 20 years, which is never a sure thing due to how promotions etc work.

Don't get me started with this there are definitely two types of people that retire. BWM do not have a degree or any relevant certification or credentials to go with their hands on skills, haven't put any money in their TSP (secondary retirement fund), haven't kept track of medical stuff so they can't file with the VA easily and have wasted 20 years by never making rank or promoting. All of that to earn a $1800-$2500 a month check on the enlisted side. Don't forget working at Lowes or Walmart because of the mentioned education.

GWM leaves with multiple degrees and a relevant license/certification, $100k+ in TSP, keep up with medical and their health but can still file for VA disability for all of life's aches. Gets a second job in a in demand industry making more than they did while enlisted on top of paying $200 a month for full medical coverage and banking $4-6k in combination of retirement and VA.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Humerus posted:

You joke but I saw an article about an app that's AirBnB but to swim in people's pools, which seems like a lovely way to get wrongful death lawsuits spread around.

Lol, it's called Swimply that's the dumbest poo poo ever:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/16/tech/swimply/index.html
I went to a friend's birthday party last week booked through this service. We kept the group email and had a good time, but no matter what rules were in place for safety and supervision (especially regarding minors), it positively reeked of liability if anything went wrong.

olylifter posted:

at least it wasn't shirts with incredibly complicated patterns

I mean, you walk by a store that has 50 guys who look just like me fighting over very complicated shirts, you go in!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Welp, that thread title got real.
https://news.yahoo.com/man-fell-dea...3KRW-GfFhJkpruA

quote:

Man who fell to his death from the 18th floor of a New York tower identified as Bed Bath & Beyond CFO

A man who died after falling from the 18th floor of an apartment building has been identified the chief financial officer of Bed Bath & Beyond, the New York Post reported.

Gustavo Arnal, 52, fell from the tower on Leonard Street in Manhattan on Friday, the New York Police Department confirmed to Insider.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

speculation is whether it was due to lawsuits or the company just being hosed or what because he cashed out 1.4m beforehand

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Re playing music: one does not necessarily require a band in order to play music. You can do it on your own, for the enjoyment of it.
That appears to be an assumption people are just jumping past. Sure, having others to play with can make all kinds of activities and endeavors more rewarding, but an absence doesn't erase the benefits of the core activity.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I can't wait for the memestock reddits to explain how this is good for BB&B stock.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
He probably stepped for in a BBB one time and decided to snuff it. Those places are dreadful.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

speculation is whether it was due to lawsuits or the company just being hosed or what because he cashed out 1.4m beforehand

I wonder if he sent the 1.4m to someone. I feel like if I was sure I was gonna off myself and wanted to make sure people I cared about got taken care of I could just like initiate a bunch of wire transfers or whatever then do the deed. I feel like even a clear will could result in a legal battle when talking about the assets of a c-level exec of a major company. Sending that 1.4m somewhere could make sure someone likely to lose that battle gets something.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SpelledBackwards posted:

I went to a friend's birthday party last week booked through this service. We kept the group email and had a good time, but no matter what rules were in place for safety and supervision (especially regarding minors), it positively reeked of liability if anything went wrong.

Few years back was renting a room in a house with a pool, trampoline, and zip line. When I called to get renter’s insurance I mentioned all this and the friendly agent only asked if there was a fence, and I confirmed there was and that meant everything was a-ok with no higher rates.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Few years back was renting a room in a house with a pool, trampoline, and zip line. When I called to get renter’s insurance I mentioned all this and the friendly agent only asked if there was a fence, and I confirmed there was and that meant everything was a-ok with no higher rates.

Sounds like they basically thought of it all purely from an attractive nuisance standpoint.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

hydrocarbonenema posted:

Being a in a military band is one of the few ways to not be BWM and have a career in music, you get health insurance and a pension and generally don’t have to deploy. Downside is that you need to work a lot of nights and weekends but I think that is part of the plan with musicians in general. There are a surprising number of military bands in all services all over the world and you basically just transfer from band to band depending on your needs. A lot of the bands have singing ensembles, rock groups, and string sections. Also I think a lot of these guys make bank giving private lessons in their off time as well although I once met a particularly BWM musician who owed the IRS for his off the book income and was headed to Leavenworth for the military consequences of that.

Overall probably one of the few good deals in the military which is an organization I generally don’t recommend for your average goon.

In the air force it's a crazy good gig. Everyone else starts at E1-E3 depending on a few things and has to get rated well, test well, and/or do boards well to get promoted. Band members roll in at E6. After starting at E3, getting promoted first time to E4 and E5 and leaving at 6 years I was still a year from testing and then another year from sewing on E6 if I had made it first time.

I also don't recommend the military unless you can pick up very specific jobs.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Re playing music: one does not necessarily require a band in order to play music. You can do it on your own, for the enjoyment of it.
That appears to be an assumption people are just jumping past. Sure, having others to play with can make all kinds of activities and endeavors more rewarding, but an absence doesn't erase the benefits of the core activity.

Brass instruments are so loud though. There are mutes and soundproofing options you can get for your practice room, but at a certain point I’m a scorpion trumpet player and I must sting play way too loud above the staff like so (not my vid of course):

https://youtu.be/E5Hnnf2M_VM

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Brass instruments are so loud though. There are mutes and soundproofing options you can get for your practice room, but at a certain point I’m a scorpion trumpet player and I must sting play way too loud above the staff like so (not my vid of course):

https://youtu.be/E5Hnnf2M_VM

Louis Dowdeswell being a goon would be the best thing ever

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

I'm in awe of this number. How did you find 150 movies in theater to watch in eight months?

I'm not sure how many times I've gone to the movies in my life (mid 30s), but I want to say that it's under 50 for sure.
I get that it’s possible, at one point in my life, I was at the theater probably 5 times a week on average, for various special showings and an occasional new movie. A lot of those were <$5 at the time though, so not as expensive as it could have been.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It might be worse:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bed-bath-and-beyond-cfo-found-dead-insider-trading-lawsuit-2022-9 posted:

The Bed Bath & Beyond Chief Financial Officer Gustavo Arnal, who was found dead on Friday after falling from the 18th floor of a New York City apartment building, recently was named in a lawsuit accusing him of fraud.

The incident occurred less than two weeks after the executive, 52, was named in a federal class-action lawsuit on allegations of federal securities fraud, insider trading, and breach of fiduciary duty, according to court documents.]

Bed Bath & Beyond Jurisdiction Now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Upgrade posted:

College equestrian is cutthroat because it’s a super small world and your horse applies separately

I'm genuinely unsure whether the horse applying separately is a joke or not, and I fear to know the answer.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

What do call an equestrian who graduated last in its class at Yale?

A horse

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I tutor horses before their entrance exams. It's a niche job but at least its stable.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

B33rChiller posted:

Or as my dad says, "I play guitar because you can't take a piano to the beach with your friends"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heffer posted:

I tutor horses before their entrance exams. It's a niche job but at least its stable.

How do they handle their B-level exams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

gschmidl posted:

How do they handle their B-level exams?

Thought of them and died.