Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

dirtsposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

"AI won an art contest, and artists are furious"
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/03/tech/ai-art-fair-winner-controversy/index.html

"In August, Jason M. Allen's piece "Théâtre D'opéra Spatial" — which he created with AI image generator Midjourney — won first place in the emerging artist division's "digital arts/digitally-manipulated photography" category at the Colorado State Fair Fine Arts Competition."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the category is called “digital arts/digitally-manipulated photography”, the artist is upfront about the method, and the judges are cool with it, I don’t see the problem.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

"AI won an art contest, and artists are furious"
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/03/tech/ai-art-fair-winner-controversy/index.html

"In August, Jason M. Allen's piece "Théâtre D'opéra Spatial" — which he created with AI image generator Midjourney — won first place in the emerging artist division's "digital arts/digitally-manipulated photography" category at the Colorado State Fair Fine Arts Competition."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Fair

https://coloradostatefair.com/competitions/general-entry-fine-arts/

The arts world has been destroyed.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I can't believe CNN would jeopardise its journalistic integretahaahaha

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Fat Dan posted:

coloradostatefair.com

Ah yes. The state fair. Where I go for the most discerning of art critiques.

(tbh, I love looking at the terrible folk art / photo competitions at the Wisconsin State Fair. Someone can take a blurry picture of a tomato and have it win a blue ribbon. It's glorious.)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if there are angry letters from the 19th century decrying the perfection of the camera.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

By popular demand posted:

I wonder if there are angry letters from the 19th century decrying the perfection of the camera.

It's one of the reasons Modern art developed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I know that, I'd just like to find some angry rambling about how the kids will never learn proper technique now and will only make lazy kitche.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I know that, I'd just like to find some angry rambling about how the kids will never learn proper technique now and will only make lazy kitche.

Check out a guy called Ben Shapiro

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

http://chimeraobscura.com/vm/episode-497-dave-mckean

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

If the category is called “digital arts/digitally-manipulated photography”, the artist is upfront about the method, and the judges are cool with it, I don’t see the problem.

I do not think that that is what happened.

I wonder if any of the artists whos works were included in the AI's training set were asked permission. IIRC it's been established that these AI generated works aren't copyrightable for exactly that reason.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if any of the artists whos works were included in the AI's training set were asked permission. IIRC it's been established that these AI generated works aren't copyrightable for exactly that reason.

nah, they're not copyrightable because only human's creations can be given copyright. It's like that monkey selfie.

If you use the tool and put in more than de minimis creative effort (or if you take something public domain and use it as part of creating other art), then you own the copyright.

using copyrighted works to train a machine model (even for profit) has already been held up as fair use by US courts in multiple cases. In Japan they've already altered their copyright law to add a specific explicit fair use carveout for model training.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

drat i found the real life lawyer advice thread nice 😎

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

I've seen stuff from the 80s where people are arguing if "computer music" is real music or not, lamenting that soon nobody will know how to play instruments, and not understanding that the computer is not actually "making" the song.

And as we all know every singer was replaced with Hatsune Miku in 2007.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY2UU-PPdfc

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I do not think that that is what happened.
It is. Read the article. "Allen stated that Midjourney was used to create his image when he entered the contest, he said."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tiggum posted:

It is. Read the article. "Allen stated that Midjourney was used to create his image when he entered the contest, he said."

I wonder if the judges understood what that meant though? Telling someone you made the art with AI, they might assume just using a computer in general was "using AI". I mean, I knew a fuckton of knowledgeable, respected artists that thought CGI was "just the computer doing everything" when it first came out because they had no idea how the process worked. Old art judges might think "using AI" is the same as using Photoshop.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder if the judges understood what that meant though?

At least one of them didn't, but later found out and stuck by the decision:

quote:

Cal Duran, an artist and art teacher who was one of the judges for the competition, said that while Allen's piece included a mention of Midjourney, he didn't realize that it was generated by AI when judging it. Still, he sticks by his decision to award it first place in its category, he said, calling it a "beautiful piece".

"I think there's a lot involved in this piece and I think the AI technology may give more opportunities to people who may not find themselves artists in the conventional way," he said.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I like that man's attitude.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/jdragsky/status/1566567391533973505

tl;dr: training an art generator on a lot of 19th century art means that it generates art with the same themes that were being explored back then.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/jdragsky/status/1566567391533973505

tl;dr: training an art generator on a lot of 19th century art means that it generates art with the same themes that were being explored back then.

Yeah that was a deeply stupid series of tweets. My least favorite genre of tweets is 'someone explains something really obvious as if it were deeply obscure in 47 tweets'.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah that was a deeply stupid series of tweets. My least favorite genre of tweets is 'someone explains something really obvious as if it were deeply obscure in 47 tweets'.

There's a really good conversation that should be had about AI/machine learning systems carrying bias because they're programmed by biased sources, trained on biased data, and/or only shown the results of bias being carried out; it's a serious problem and generally reinforces bias in the people that see it because they assume or pretend that a machine couldn't have biases, so it pushes them harder into "this is an uncomfortable truth, not baseless bigotry" territory.

This series of tweets ain't that conversation.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Gabino_Iglesias/status/1566789485723062272?s=20&t=9rnjQ6JYQjtk9VOrFsdqjA

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Someone send a messenger to Geralt.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I should petition to the Unicode consortium to introduce special heavy duty scare quotes to put around ❠AI❞.

Just about anything marketed as «AI» has no 'I' in it and the ‹A› is just a big dataset of badly categorised data being fed through a statistical model. It's bias laundering for assholes, a way to obscure assumptions and intentions and turn them into infallible black boxes that can no longer be questioned or interrogated.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Weird ❠Al❞ Yankovic

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Antigravitas posted:

I should petition to the Unicode consortium to introduce special heavy duty scare quotes to put around ❠AI❞.

The position makes me think the quotes are highlighting it cheerleader style.

Gimme an A!
Gimme an I!

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Just about anything marketed as «AI» has no 'I' in it and the ‹A› is just a big dataset of badly categorised data being fed through a statistical model. It's bias laundering for assholes, a way to obscure assumptions and intentions and turn them into infallible black boxes that can no longer be questioned or interrogated.

Why do you use fishbone quotation marks? Are you French?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Lies. Lies and slander.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/dogs-poop-in-alignment-with-earths-magnetic-field-study-finds

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Why do you use fishbone quotation marks? Are you French?

Mon Dieu!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

we need dogs making GBS threads in a faraday cage STAT

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I wish this was true for your sake, UK peeps

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mark Twain posted:

He said, then have cats. He was sure that a royal family of cats would answer every purpose. They would be as useful as any other royal family, they would know as much, they would have the same virtues and the same treacheries, the same disposition to get up shindies with other royal cats, they would be laughable vain and absurd and never know it, they would be wholly inexpensive, finally, they would have as sound a divine right as any other royal house…The worship of royalty being founded in unreason, these graceful and harmless cats would easily become as sacred as any other royalties, and indeed more so, because it would presently be noticed that they hanged nobody, beheaded nobody, imprisoned nobody, inflicted no cruelties or injustices of any sort, and so must be worthy of a deeper love and reverence than the customary human king, and would certainly get it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Interested to see how the EU reacts to their policy of being let in, then being let back out multiple times per day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Hygiene posted:

Interested to see how the EU reacts to their policy of being let in, then being let back out multiple times per day

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probably would do a better job than Boris

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

A shoe would do a better job than Boris, let's be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah but they gave the job to Liz Truss, not a cat or a shoe.