Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

MightyJoe36 posted:

Back when I had an answering machine, people would leave messages like:

"Hey, I had some questions about the slides. Call me back."

"I need my heat turned on."

"Damnit! You didn't deliver my newspaper again!"

Wrong numbers obviously, but I don't know how they expected anyone to call them back without a name or a number.

Our city's code enforcement recently announced that they wouldn't take anonymous complaints anymore because they have literally never cleared a single one. I'm the one they forward all the environmental complaints to and you'd be amazed how many complaints boil down to "I am a phantom, an enigma shrouded in mystery, untraceable, untrackable. Please tell my neighbor he can't have a fire pit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shibawanko posted:

"please teach me"

"okay so have a look at the first line of this docu..."

"no, don't tell me, i want to do it myself"

There's also the issue that I'm dealing with when it comes to my supervisor who was on vacation for two weeks and has just now come back and I'm so sad because now I'm going to have to deal with this again :smith: :

"I know how to do [thing she taught me how to do], I'm going to work on the ticket that handles it"

"Okay, here's how you do [thing she taught me how to do] -- [instructions]"

"Yup, I remember, thanks"

"Okay, I don't want to micromanage you or anything, I just want to help in any way I can, so let me know if you need help"

"I'm good for now, thanks"

"Right, I'm just saying, I'm here to offer help if you need it, but I'm not trying to micromanage you or anything, just tell me if you have any questions, that's all I want to do, just making sure that I'm here any time you need any sort of advice or help or anything..."

:unsmigghh:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There’s a guy I know of, have met a couple times, wouldn’t call him a friend or even an acquaintance, but a ton of my friends know him.

Anyway, today he visited his 197th country. Every country in the world (except google says there’s 193 so ???). So everyone is on Instagram talking about how proud of him they are, it’s been an amazing journey and all that, he’s an inspiration.

Except….he’s just a really rich dude that has a job (idk what he does) that allows/affords him to travel a ton.

Like, if I had an assload of money and a job that would let me do it I could do it to? Anyone could. Yeah I mean that’s a lot of countries and it impressive but they’re acting like the guy survived cancer or something.

This is right in the same vein for me of when a tragedy happens people post their pictures of their vacation from 5 years ago like “Omg I was there”.

It all feels like they’re trying to grab some part of the attention or the achievement this guy has. Like “well I didn’t travel to 197 countries but I know a guy that did!”

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyway, today he visited his 197th country. Every country in the world (except google says there’s 193 so ???).

193 is the number of full UN members.

Opinions on what counts as a country vary. Does some rich fucker setting up on an uninhabited island, calling it Fucktopia, and printing Fuckbucks on his lovely computer printer, count as a country? Probably not. Is the Vatican a country despite not having its own currency, military, etc.? Probably.

What about South Ossetia, North Cyprus, Abkhazia, Kosovo, etc.? They are all claimed by a "mother country" but have de facto independence. General consensus is "no," they're not countries, except Kosovo, in which the consensus is mostly (but not entirely) "yes". And don't even get me started on Taiwan and Palestine.

His 197 is probably the full UN members plus Vatican City, Kosovo, Palestine, and Taiwan.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've never met anyone who makes "travel" part of their identity, say they're "based out of" somewhere instead of "lives" somewhere, etc that isn't a horrible rich gently caress who would absolutely be an "expat" not an "immigrant" if forced out of their comfort zone

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

When you become interested in a topic and find an SA thread about it, but the big informative first post is from 2017 and has literally zero correct/current information in it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've never met anyone who makes "travel" part of their identity, say they're "based out of" somewhere instead of "lives" somewhere, etc that isn't a horrible rich gently caress who would absolutely be an "expat" not an "immigrant" if forced out of their comfort zone

To be fair to the guy, everything I’ve heard about him is that he’s a super nice guy and the travel has something to do with his father that passed some years ago. He’s successful and wealthy on his own as far as I know. So whatever good for him I’m more annoyed at the people latching on to him like look at MY FRIEND guys this guy who’s doing things is MY FRIEND it’s about meeeee

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Different peeve that just happened

Me: “Hey Mr. Customer I’ll be in town week of the 26th and would like to meet. I’m wide open so let me know what’s the best time for you to come visit”

Customer: “Yes I am available that week, let me know what you have available and I’ll see if it works in my schedule and I’ll gather the team”

Mother fucker I just told you to give me a time that works in your schedule and I’ll show up what the gently caress it’s not hard

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Joey Freshwater posted:

Me: “Hey Mr. Customer I’ll be in town week of the 26th and would like to meet. I’m wide open so let me know what’s the best time for you to come visit”

Customer: “Yes I am available that week, let me know what you have available and I’ll see if it works in my schedule and I’ll gather the team”

Mother fucker I just told you to give me a time that works in your schedule and I’ll show up what the gently caress it’s not hard

No please provide an annotated schedule of your availability that week. Also, you told me you were available at time-o-clock, but when I got back to you two days later now you tell me you're not available then? How dare you.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s even better when you then go “okay, how about Thursday at 1?” And they respond “oh not then, we’re busy”

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Black Stones posted:

It’s even better when you then go “okay, how about Thursday at 1?” And they respond “oh not then, we’re busy”

Every, loving, time.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Weird, it's almost like they don't actually want to meet with you or something.

edit: I'll admit though, they're cowards for just not saying so outright. Even just, "Sorry man, my week is slammed." is better than wasting your time.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Aug 31, 2022

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm currently manning a stand at a huge expo, (which involves wearing a suit every day, with company color/highlights in addition) which is tedious but kinda cool. (Apart from me probably being guaranteed to get covid after this, ugh.)

What's less cool is that when I took a taxi yesterday the driver started asking a bit about getting his daughter a job at the company I'm representing (Biggest company in the field in the country, though I'm just a hired-in consultant), which I reply the standard 'go thorugh the website, we have a dedicated graduate program she can apply to.'

Then he proceeds to start calling her so that she can talk to me, and I can guide her through it and jesus loving christ dude, I'm a customer, stop hassling me like this because I'm suddenly your captive audience for the trip.
Thankfully she didn't pick up, so I was spared that, but ugh. I didn't mind him talking about it, but the moment he just called her up was when it went from normal to annoying and uncomfortable.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"adjacent"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

SubNat posted:

I'm currently manning a stand at a huge expo, (which involves wearing a suit every day, with company color/highlights in addition) which is tedious but kinda cool. (Apart from me probably being guaranteed to get covid after this, ugh.)

What's less cool is that when I took a taxi yesterday the driver started asking a bit about getting his daughter a job at the company I'm representing (Biggest company in the field in the country, though I'm just a hired-in consultant), which I reply the standard 'go thorugh the website, we have a dedicated graduate program she can apply to.'

Then he proceeds to start calling her so that she can talk to me, and I can guide her through it and jesus loving christ dude, I'm a customer, stop hassling me like this because I'm suddenly your captive audience for the trip.
Thankfully she didn't pick up, so I was spared that, but ugh. I didn't mind him talking about it, but the moment he just called her up was when it went from normal to annoying and uncomfortable.

Why would you even hire someone who needs their hand held through a web form

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Welcome to modern parenting.

I have seen parents accompany their young adult children to interviews.

Look up "snow plow parent" It's even worse in higher education.

The parents "help" so much the kid never learns how to grow up.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

It was more that he started calling her right off the bat probably so I could just repeat the same I said to him, to her. Hopefully I'd be off long before she got to trying to fill out the form.

Either way, people barrelling up to me to go 'Hey I want a job, can you fix me up?' has been a running theme this week. I cannot wait to be over wearing a suit every day.
Being at an expo for almost a week pops up enough peeves that I could probably hard-crash the SA forums with a too-long forums post.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

People that love to use social media to bemoan how hard it is having kids, or running their household, or raising their dogs, or whatever.

All of these "problems" are self inflicted, please stop mining them for internet points. You are not a cool Instagram mom, you are someone that needs therapy. Seeking validation by having multiple kids or pets and carping on about how hard it is, is not a positive thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Indolent Bastard posted:

People that love to use social media to bemoan how hard it is having kids, or running their household, or raising their dogs, or whatever.

All of these "problems" are self inflicted, please stop mining them for internet points. You are not a cool Instagram mom, you are someone that needs therapy. Seeking validation by having multiple kids or pets and carping on about how hard it is, is not a positive thing.

"Nobody knows what a sacrifice and burden it is to raise a family"
"No we all knew that and sidestepped it"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Indolent Bastard posted:

The parents "help" so much the kid never learns how to grow up.

My mom wasn't that bad but holy poo poo was my 20s just a series of discovering things I didn't know because she just automatically did everything. At least I could cook and do my laundry so it wasn't as bad as it was for some other people.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

My mom wasn't that bad but holy poo poo was my 20s just a series of discovering things I didn't know because she just automatically did everything. At least I could cook and do my laundry so it wasn't as bad as it was for some other people.

I taught a 26 year old man how to make a tuna sandwich. Once you leave home and lose your housekeeper, life gets hard.

He also tossed out left over pizza, because he had no concept of eating leftovers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I taught a 26 year old man how to make a tuna sandwich. Once you leave home and lose your housekeeper, life gets hard.
As in, bread + tuna = sandwich? How could you understand the concept of a sandwich and not be able to put that together yourself?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Indolent Bastard posted:

I already said thank you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

As in, bread + tuna = sandwich? How could you understand the concept of a sandwich and not be able to put that together yourself?

The tuna comes from a can, you see, and he never had a parent who cared enough to make him consider how the can opener addresses the can

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

the holy poopacy posted:

The tuna comes from a can, you see, and he never had a parent who cared enough to make him consider how the can opener addresses the can

You know, I had a friend tell me recently that he's the only one among his group of friends who knows how to operate a manual can opener. As in the kind with the handles you squeeze, and turn?

I called some bullshit on that but after reading these posts I'm beginning to think he wasn't bullshitting me, and operating a can opener is indeed some lost arcane knowledge. :psyduck:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Indolent Bastard posted:

He also tossed out left over pizza, because he had no concept of eating leftovers.

Wow holy poo poo I'm not anywhere near that bad. I just meant things like paperwork and budgeting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I'd assume 'what to mix with the tuna so you're not just eating tuna in your tuna sandwich'. Like my mom showed me when I was 8 and I literally just scooped some tuna onto some bread and was surprised when it wasn't very good.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Silver Falcon posted:

You know, I had a friend tell me recently that he's the only one among his group of friends who knows how to operate a manual can opener. As in the kind with the handles you squeeze, and turn?

I called some bullshit on that but after reading these posts I'm beginning to think he wasn't bullshitting me, and operating a can opener is indeed some lost arcane knowledge. :psyduck:

When I first met my wife, she was confused by my can opener, because it didn't have any handles or something to turn, it was just the, i dunno, what I consider the regular kind? A handle with a hook and a pointy bit.

As it turns out, no one in her family has even seen one before.

I had never seen any other kind. Apparently people have wall-mounted mechanical stuffs with rotary handles and cutting wheels or whatever. An entire world of complex solutions to a problem solved by a bent piece of metal with a handle.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I was at a party recently where someone had no idea how to use a non-electric corkscrew, or that they existed. We're all in our mid-30s.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I did not know that electric corkscrews existed :psyduck:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's called a "drill"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The wall-mounted stuff is overwhelmingly old timey buildings, not some modern tesla contraption.

This is an arrangement of modern can openers. They are all hand-powered mechanics vastly better than the "normal" one pictured and also use 0 electricity or effort.

I'm frankly glad my wife uses normal modern can openers for TYOOL 2022 can opening, same way I'm glad she doesn't get smug about wooden butter knives.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phosphine posted:

When I first met my wife, she was confused by my can opener, because it didn't have any handles or something to turn, it was just the, i dunno, what I consider the regular kind? A handle with a hook and a pointy bit.

I had never seen any other kind. Apparently people have wall-mounted mechanical stuffs with rotary handles and cutting wheels or whatever. An entire world of complex solutions to a problem solved by a bent piece of metal with a handle.

I have never seen this alien tool in my life

It looks like it’s for probing

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've used the little hook thing on my pocketknife to open cans before but I definitely prefer something with that modern extravagance known as 'gears'.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Phosphine posted:

I haven't seen one of them outside old Looney Toons cartoons. I could maybe figure out how to use one but I think I'd be afraid of slicing my finger open.

The one I'm used to is the bottom left one in the assortment that Edgar Allen Hoe posted.

But my bud was talking about how nobody in his friend group knows how to use any kind of manual, non-electric can opener, and it's like what?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bottom left is the standard dictionary definition can opener.

The one Phosphine posted is some old timey poo poo that I've only seen in movies made prior to the 1950s.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My Uber story is I got picked up by a navy sailor doing Uber as some part time extra cash, and midway through the drive he got a text message from his daughter that really had some kind of effect on him, so he said "I apologize but I need to stop and call my daughter." Before I could say anything he just pulled over in the shoulder of an elevated freeway and called his daughter. He just yelled at her for 20 minutes about college applications while alternately sitting in the driver seat or pacing around the car. Then he hung up angrily. He got back in and said "my loving stupid daughter makes me so goddamn mad" then drive me the last five minutes to my house. Anyway I guess my pet peeve is when that happens.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The fact you drain the liquid from the can and the mysterious alchemy that is adding mayo and the correct ratio of this exotic food item.

I dunno what to tell you. The dude was not well set up to live on his own.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

and other videos like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
It is raining so everyone's labor day plans are canceled and they all decided to go to the grocery store instead. It's been so busy i haven't even had time to process the fact that an old man came to me for a bottle return earlier and handed me two water bottles each containing just a little bit of loving URINE.