Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The way mihoyo is releasing dendro is odd. We're apparently getting two more cryo characters before the next dendro after nahida which is at least 3.6??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i do really like how stumbling her attack animations are as a reflection of that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

The way mihoyo is releasing dendro is odd. We're apparently getting two more cryo characters before the next dendro after nahida which is at least 3.6??
the game released in september 28, 2020, with xingqiu, barbara, and mona as the available hydro units. tartaglia was released in november of that year as the 4th hydro unit.

the 5th hydro unit, kokomi, was not released until september 2021, almost a year later.

compared to that, dendro getting a 5th unit in like march is an extremely rapid pace.

say what you want about collei: she is probably a better off-field dps than barbara.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
My only real gripe with Collei is that the backswing on her E is painfully long. It's also a little unreliable with its pathing and how long it stays out, which can mess with timing.

I honestly prefer her over DMC, because at least her E can hit something that isn't on the exact same horizontal plane her application has decent AoE and isn't fully reliant on her Q.

But that said, bring on Nahida and more Dendros please.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Collei is great and I will force her to be viable through sheer force of favoritism.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waiting on the Dendro Ayaka/Mona sprinter.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I lost the 50/50 for Tighnari, so looks like I'm building Collei this week (got her a few levels last week then ran out of mushrooms and dendro gem things, whatever those are called, spent this week grinding boss chicken and waiting for mushroom respawns). I now have enough bits to get her to level 71, which is where I tend to level people I want to use to until i decide I like them enough to put them in the elite club of characters where I could be bothered to grind the materials for their final ascension. Its a very exclusive club. So far its basically just Zhongli, MC and I think Razor (because he was my main carry for most of monstadt and liyue).

So, anyway, on the subject of Collei uh... what does she actually do? Like I've read her ability summaries, and I played her demo (for all those are ever worth) but I'm still not really sure how to build her/what artifact sets and weapons I should give her/what her talent priorities are. Assume I dont have any 5* weapons, but I do have a decent number of 4* (including the fish one, the other thing I've done this week), and if I dont have a recommended artifact set I'm fine grinding out whatever. Shes C3 if that makes a difference. Is she just applying dendro with her burst/skill then gettng the gently caress off the field so someone can electrify it? Ordinarily I just use the spreadsheet but shes too new to have any information there.

(I actually do have a 5* Bow, Amos' bow from the standard banner a while back, but as my next 5* is a hard pity I've kind of earmarked that for Ganyu).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you have favonius or sacrificial she wants that. and yeah, shes just an off field applier. in terms of artifacts, she wants deepwood if shes the only dendro on the team, or noblesse if she isnt. also she really wants energy recharge sands.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's definitely a weird choice to drop 3 dendro characters (two of which are bow users) and then dip for a few patches. But I can also see how people would get burned out on a non-stop dendro train.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

She's an okay Millelith holder too, because her E hits periodically with A1 and C2.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Endorph posted:

All we know about her is that she isn't the original Hydro archon. The oceanid boss was one of the original hydro archon's minions who was sent to Liyue to spy on it, but after the original hydro archon died, it refused to accept the new archon as its boss and decided to just sit in Liyue spouting cryptic bullshit and spitting out annoying flying enemies.

In terms of personality, we've got this quote from one of the Hydro ascension gems

and thats it.

Lookin forward to the Hydro archon throwing a city-threatening tantrum after a likeable NPC successfully sues them for being a jerk. The plot beats with Dunyarzad's festival and Zhiqiong's letter at the end of her arc have built on the somewhat clumsy Liyue Adepti/humans conflict. Genshin is really interested in exploring the concept that people still matter even if they haven't been blessed with superpowers by the heavens.

Having a story arc about an Archon getting reigned in by the checks and balances they put in place blithely assuming it would never come up for them personally is a compelling idea for the chaser to our current arc about out-of-touch and corrupt institutional power. I wonder what Mihoyo has in mind... they've done a pretty good job making all the archons likeable yet seriously flawed so far, but the upcoming regional gods definitely sound a bit more punchable than the ones we've met so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's definitely a weird choice to drop 3 dendro characters (two of which are bow users) and then dip for a few patches. But I can also see how people would get burned out on a non-stop dendro train.

Bows let you be the most creative when designing puzzles. Early game sucked when you only had MC for anemo and Kaeya for ice but everyone else was a bow or catalyst user.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I feel like they're really starting to hit the limits of their design space for characters that play differently. There just aren't enough different reactions and team archetypes to endlessly keep adding new characters. There should be some alternative way for characters to synergize with each other, other than their elements.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

They just came out with Heizou. Reaction-wise, he's not too different from previous characters, but his controlling is on a different level. I think they're (generally) getting a lot better at making characters who feel really smooth mechanically, rather than doing anything particularly groundbreaking with their kits. Tighnari makes charged shot bow gameplay more fast-paced. Yelan's dash is a big improvement from Sayu's and feels incredible after the pathing buff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yelan C1 is still unquestionably the most useful individual constellation I have. It does so much. Not only does her skill hit like a truck (and it's one of the more versatile AoE damage skills, since you can easily chain it across multiple enemies that aren't clumped together), but it also solves any energy issues (which in turn lets her stack more damage stats in her artifacts).

avoraciopoctules posted:

Genshin is really interested in exploring the concept that people still matter even if they haven't been blessed with superpowers by the heavens.

Maybe one day there'll actually be a single NPC without a vision/gnosis who doesn't have Generic NPC Face/clothes. It's silly how even the important unpowered NPCs still have the same generic faces/designs. I think Dunyardzad and Rana both have the exact same "young woman NPC" face.

Can't you just throw some money at artists/modelers to create some new NPC designs. Seems like the sort of issue that actually can be solved directly with money, like how Cyberpunk 2077 has a zillion different clothes. I get that the reason is "because mihoyo as a business gains literally nothing from this," but it's still a shame.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 4, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, the playable characters are also all the same five base models with different clothes and textures, is the thing. if they cant make itto actually buff they definitely arent gonna do that

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

well, the playable characters are also all the same five base models with different clothes and textures, is the thing. if they cant make itto actually buff they definitely arent gonna do that

Well there are actually pretty small differences between character models so it is something they're trying to do. Sadly I think Itto might have just missed the buff train :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

The clothes and faces make the difference, though. Particularly the faces, since NPCs are pretty goofy with the degree of sameface.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Itto is a glam rocker anyway, not a strong dude. It's why he's got that long hair and pulls the comb out for his idle animation.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Me every time this thread starts talking about team comps and other combat related things

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Itto's an oni in a Touhou sense, doesn't matter if he doesn't look like he can beat Kevin Nash in an arm wrestling contest, he's still easily able to punch through mountain in a month.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

RareAcumen posted:

Itto's an oni in a Touhou sense, doesn't matter if he doesn't look like he can beat Kevin Nash in an arm wrestling contest, he's still easily able to punch through mountain in a month.

And then Sara shows up and clowns on him because she's a tengu and tengu are stronger than oni.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

x1o posted:

Me every time this thread starts talking about team comps and other combat related things

Just trying to make as many reactions as possible happen as fast as possible is going to smash the bulk of the game. Yeah, once you're in abyss 12 you probably want to have some gameplan but I cruised through the AR1-40 just trying to see what pushed out the most numbers. Reactions are the only thing that makes the combat interesting so not using them was never in the cards.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Excuse me, I will not have my "Drop Rocks on Everything as Fast as Possible" playstyle dismissed.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Man, whoever it was in here that mentioned that the Aranyaka questline was long AF was NOT kidding.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nature is healing

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

x1o posted:

I'm currently working on an innovative build based on the theme of "characters I own", focusing on the inherent synergy around the fact that I own all the characters in it; thus, none of them require me to spend 15,000 primos I don't have on a banner that won't reappear until next year. This yields a significant increase in DPS.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

"Genshin Impact Shakes Up The JRPG Formula With Its New NPCs"
https://kotaku.com/genshin-impact-sumeru-dunyarzad-3-0-npc-playable-vision-1849491938

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ReverendHammer posted:

Man, whoever it was in here that mentioned that the Aranyaka questline was long AF was NOT kidding.

Someone in here said 10 hours and man was that a low estimate. It just never ends. It's not even inazuma bad with the dialogue bloated to all hell. There's legitimately just that much poo poo to do and everything has to fork into three. It's mandatory for exploration reasons, too, which is extra weird.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mailer posted:

Someone in here said 10 hours and man was that a low estimate. It just never ends. It's not even inazuma bad with the dialogue bloated to all hell. There's legitimately just that much poo poo to do and everything has to fork into three. It's mandatory for exploration reasons, too, which is extra weird.

to be fair I said "easily 10 hours" and I had just pulled an all-nighter grinding out rep 2 in the first 48 hours

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Well, I did it now. I broke the video game.

https://i.imgur.com/2rcVBSj.mp4

I can fast travel to the domain 'Fragment of Childhood Dreams' and drop down, there's a cave with some robots I can go through. I can play the game normally, except I can't shoot arrows, because I'm actually underwater. If I go upwards enough I reach the surface of the water and pop out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Maxwell Adams posted:

I can fast travel to the domain 'Fragment of Childhood Dreams' and drop down, there's a cave with some robots I can go through. I can play the game normally, except I can't shoot arrows, because I'm actually underwater. If I go upwards enough I reach the surface of the water and pop out.

Yeah, there's a youtube channel where Moosashi does a lot of out of the map exploration and unintended stuff that's fun to watch now and then. He's got a series with Traveler-san which is his alt account where he only plays the traveler at low level who made it to Inazuma at AR 7 by walking along the bottom of the ocean, which is a challenge due to all of the lightning and well, being on the floor of the ocean. Here's a recent one where he covered getting to the underwater waypoint before lowering the water and just getting under the map in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD-egDTAPBY

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing: apparently you're supposed to drain that area from the other side or something?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mix. posted:

believe it or not dps kokomi DOES exist though, it's just not 'slap a weapon on her and go', you have to actually artifact/team build for it... and her ult is really useful for that, because it buffs her attack and jellyfish damage by a scaling amount of her max HP, which at level 7 is around 7% of her max HP. which can scale up pretty drat high with the new hydro resonance. (its around 11% at level 7 for charge attacks/jellyfish). you really want her C1 for that though, because it gives her ult an extra effect where the final attack in her NA chain fires off a fish that deals damage equal to 30% of her max HP with no cooldown on it

Sub DPS Kokomi is good and is a thing. She needs to clam set to keep up, and farming it to get either a hydro goblet or a healing crown will give you lots of opportunities to weed out those pesy crit rate and crit damage stats she can't use. Lots of opportunities. It took me soooo drat long. Was worth it, though. She's one of my favorite characters now.

People who like Kokomi really like her.

RareAcumen posted:

Waiting on the Dendro Ayaka/Mona sprinter.

It just a hedge with two little legs running under it really fast.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

If the bubble weren't so dinky, I'd want to build main DPS Kokomi

Kokomi/Kazuha/Fischl/Eula sounds like goofy fun

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 5, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

If the bubble weren't so dinky, I'd want to build main DPS Kokomi

I have Kokomi with an R5 Prototype Amber, an R5 Hakushin Ring, and I may get an Everlasting Moonglow on the next banner. Not what I'm aiming for, but then I won't turn it down.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My alt account got the Sumeru archon questline unlocked finally. I had it to the end of Liuye before Sumeru went in, but unlocking the archon quest requires doing the Inazuma archon questline and then the Chasm stuff with Dain that counts as Chapter II Part IV of the archon quest chain. Sumeru is Chapter III. Inazuma isn't super long if you only do the archon quest and required story quests and ignore everything else and spam spacebar through all the talking.

Since it's only four weeks old, this account doesn't have many characters so I've been using Diluc as my carry and picked up ZL when the banner came out. Due to getting a lot of primos with quests I'm 26 pulls from pity on the Tighnari banner but I might stop rolling on it since Collei is at C4 already and how many dendro characters do I need? The Traveler is my only Anemo unit on that account and it just hit AR44. I'm going to have an issue when I get to the next world level since I've been ignoring artifact domains to hold out until 45, so I'll have to run a lot then. Zhongli definitely makes things easier when you're a little underpowered, I opened both the Signora fight and Azhdaha over the weekend and didn't have much trouble repeating them as weekly.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing: apparently you're supposed to drain that area from the other side or something?

You get to drain it after fighting all sealed ruin machines, then you'll get the quest that will lead to draining the water there.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
I killed the three rajas this afternoon just in time to get to rank 2 and do the weekly bounties/requests.

Pretty hilarious that a world quest you can do in 5 minutes (and I had already accidentally killed two of the animals) gives as much standing as one of the multi-stage hours-long Aranara quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ssmagus posted:

You get to drain it after fighting all sealed ruin machines, then you'll get the quest that will lead to draining the water there.

There's a sealed ruin machine in that cave that'll drain the water one stage when you beat it. There's a second stage to the drain that happens with all machines unsealed.