Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Malus's campaign is super fun now, you effectively have 3 paths to go for:

1) Stay possessed and make friends with all the local chaos factions and invade south into Norsca and then the Empire
2) Take the potion and go to war with Chaos in the north (taking the potion gives you massive faction-wide growth bonuses to help you do this)
3) forget the north and focus on Hag Graef in Naggaroth and do whatever you want there.

Also, I absolutely love the rework to Dark Elves economy and slave system. It's 1000x better than it was in WH2. Slaves are now a consumable resource and you have a bunch of impactful decisions about how to spend them and gathering more slaves will inform your conquests and raids. Also Dark Elves love ports, gathering costal settlements can get you rich fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Malus must be stopped

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
After dealing with Malus, I now have exactly the same problem with Tyrion who decided to invade... only this time he really is unkillable because all my armies have been given flaming attacks because I made the unforgiveable mistake of doing the quests that have come up for Imrik. I think it's something like 95% total resistance to every attack. No even Ogres are exempt! Guess I just have to pray for army losses once again...

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Malus totally owns, after burning my through Norsca for fat piles of loot and sending Belakor back to hell I launched what has become a twenty turn hellwar with every elf on Ulthuan. Now that Malus can go daemon mode without losing all replenishment there's absolutely no reason to drink the potions.

I'm being overwhelmed by the nerd elves, but I just need to hold on long enough to take the Sword and then the entire world is doomed

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Oxyotl kinda owns. His poisons let him basically melt any demons. Secured the south pole and now I've been setting up a stronghold in the Arctic north to annihilate all chaos.

Sure feels fun to teleport in, kill a chaos stack and teleport home.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Okay I managed to get the Slaneesh soul and then got halfway through the Nurgle zone and finally decided this poo poo isn't worth it for a cutscene or whatever. Nice idea for a mode and the realms look beautiful but god drat that is beyond tedious.

Edit: I'm sure this conversation has been had a million times but maybe they could have made it more similar to TW2's tome buildings. Maybe certain regions near to you have rifts in them to open and you could just do smaller versions of the realms or something as demons try to shut you down? IDK, I'm going back to the warm embrace of IE.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 4, 2022

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I want to fight a ghorst army with my irondrakes as i feel they'd destroy it but maybe i'm under estimating ghorstin time.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Malus totally owns, after burning my through Norsca for fat piles of loot and sending Belakor back to hell I launched what has become a twenty turn hellwar with every elf on Ulthuan. Now that Malus can go daemon mode without losing all replenishment there's absolutely no reason to drink the potions.

I'm being overwhelmed by the nerd elves, but I just need to hold on long enough to take the Sword and then the entire world is doomed

Malus by himself: :catstare:

Malus with the SoK: :allbuttons:

That... that's just... I think I pooped a little.

Also going to second Be'lakor as probably the best WoC campaign. Unkillable flying raid boss for a LL, great start position, can teleport around the map on a whim (use agents as scouts, you can pop portals in any region where there's an army, regardless of whether or not you're at war with them), can access exalted daemons normally.

It's almost like Oxyotl, just without the punishments for failure. You can launch hell wars anywhere that you currently have an agent, and you can (eventually) turn any human non-LL into a Daemon Prince just by sending an agent to do a thing to their army.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 4, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arghy posted:

I want to fight a ghorst army with my irondrakes as i feel they'd destroy it but maybe i'm under estimating ghorstin time.

Possibly, but.... well, they surprised the hell out of my Grail knights. They are no slouch.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah do not underestimate the Ghorst shuffle. I have personally watched his zombies face tank AI Kholek and come out having lost only two models.

You're talking a wall of health that has 10% ward save, 20% physical resist, multiple forms of stacking regen (zombies can get The Hunger through tech), AND lore of vamps to back all of that up.

Fortunately, in a pinch, auto resolve seems to devalue Ghorst zombies heavily

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gonkish posted:

Yeah do not underestimate the Ghorst shuffle. I have personally watched his zombies face tank AI Kholek and come out having lost only two models.

You're talking a wall of health that has 10% ward save, 20% physical resist, multiple forms of stacking regen (zombies can get The Hunger through tech), AND lore of vamps to back all of that up.

A good amount of irondrakes still win versus ghorstin zombies, if you keep the drakes from getting tangled in the melee then the zombos will sizzle faster than they can be regenerated

Also if you run belegar you can use his ghost thanes to potentially double mortis via the rune of spite, and with the skill to give them fire resistance they will just be there while the zomboys evaporate

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 4, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Aren't the max healing caps supremely bugged for them and they can heal many, many times more than intended (which is already a lot)?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah some of the values are 100x higher than intended because whoever was setting them thought they were percentages rather than multipliers. There are mods to fix them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pierson posted:

Okay I managed to get the Slaneesh soul and then got halfway through the Nurgle zone and finally decided this poo poo isn't worth it for a cutscene or whatever. Nice idea for a mode and the realms look beautiful but god drat that is beyond tedious.

Edit: I'm sure this conversation has been had a million times but maybe they could have made it more similar to TW2's tome buildings. Maybe certain regions near to you have rifts in them to open and you could just do smaller versions of the realms or something as demons try to shut you down? IDK, I'm going back to the warm embrace of IE.

Yeah I tried to finish skarbrand's campaign for the cutscene but I just couldn't be hosed and I painted the map red instead because it was going to take less time.

Realm missions aside, the map for the rift campaign is cool and fun imo.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Nurgle's Chosen with Exalted Champions of Nurgle with the regen aura didn't even notice that Malus is supposed to be a problem, they were able to bully him so thoroughly and completely to the point that I didn't notice he was any different from any of the other LLs I've stomped into the ground.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Nurgle's Chosen with Exalted Champions of Nurgle with the regen aura didn't even notice that Malus is supposed to be a problem, they were able to bully him so thoroughly and completely to the point that I didn't notice he was any different from any of the other LLs I've stomped into the ground.

While I didn't know that Exalted Heroes of Nurgle can get the Locus of Fecundity aura, I did notice that Aspiring Champions (with Festus' research tree at least) can, in addition to their own regeneration. Which means that yes, the individual heroes can get different Aspiring Champions than Archaeon or someone can. And also means that I'm prepared to gently caress up everyone.

Also found someone with a hilarious Gift of Chaos that gives Aspiring Champions a skill that takes any ally unit (i think, i need to read again) below 20% health and kills them, then summons a chaos spawn a la Morghur's ability. Useful? Who knows, but it is goddamned hilarious.

I'll keep Belakor in mind for a late post-DLC playthrough. I did Archaeon near the end of WH2's lifespan and might as well do him similarly, it does seem fun.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Ghorst zombies are strong but they're not invincible late game, they'll still get shredded by heavy spell aoe and specialized anti-infantry artillery like flame cannons. (pretty sure thorek himself killed like 1k+ zombies when I had to mob him with an emergency raise dead squad); main thing stopping them is the AI isn't good at using stuff like burning head

They're still absurdly cheap and punch way above their cost though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
A QUEST, mighty lord.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Jarvisi posted:

Oxyotl kinda owns. His poisons let him basically melt any demons. Secured the south pole and now I've been setting up a stronghold in the Arctic north to annihilate all chaos.

Sure feels fun to teleport in, kill a chaos stack and teleport home.

Yes I just started in on his campaign and just jumping around tussling with chaos is great. Excited for the eventual snipe chameleon skink doomstack. Are there other factions that have goals or mechanics that make them play pretty differently from traditional map-painting? I.e., the Wood elves with their spread out trees, or Oxylotl. I like the strong focus on unique objectives etc. in both.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
vcoast lokhir beastmen belakor...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was gonna spin the wheel for my next campaign but I think it better be Ghorst since the patch is dropping soon

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

vcoast lokhir beastmen belakor...

Awesome, ty. Gonna do some pirating. It's honestly incredible that this game works as well as it does, Immortal Empires seems like the kind of thing a studio promises and then never delivers after like 7 years.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the main thing is that ca has been a going concern for 35 years so there could be a reasonable expectation 6 years ago when they were only 29 that they would last the 6 years it took

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ca is the 39th oldest gamedev company in the world. older than gamefreak, bungie, blizzard, first party sony games...

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 4, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Very... interesting army compositions for these quest battles (armies like these can show up as early as turn 10, though you can beat them with proper chameleon cheesing).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Also we remember old games based on how they looked relative to the time, so games that were beautiful at the time are often remembered as being much better than they are compared to today's graphics. Warhammer's obviously working on a pretty dated engine by now since the first game in the trilogy came out over six years ago (and I think they were using the engine before that?), so thinking the game looks pretty rough isn't that much of a hot take.

To be clear, I think using old tech for a long time to get all this poo poo shoved into one giant encompassing playspace has been worth it, I just think it's reasonable for someone new to the trilogy to look at game 3 and think wow this is pretty visually unimpressive for 2022.

What? Name a similar large scale RTS game that looks this pretty.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
After playing an embarrassing amount of IE since it came out, here's my semi-arbitrary rankings of LLs for a couple of factions I've been focusing on:

Dark Elves:
  • 1. Malus - invincible unstoppable death engine with a fantastic strategic map game. Besides Tzar'kan being buffed, the replenishment penalty got taken off full possession so he can go full daemon mode at all times and make very useful alliances with daemon factions. His huge upkeep reduction to cold ones also benefits from dark elf cold one cavalry being buffed hugely from "useless trash" to "actually pretty good AP units" with the removal of rampage.
  • 2. Lokhir - Black Arks are as absurd as ever and Lokhir still gets a million of them. He benefits hugely from sea lanes existing, but even if you don't want to go sailing around the world you can still basically conquer Cathay from the rivers. Super strong.
  • 3. Rakarth - Being moved to Lustria is a gigantic glow-up for him because it means you're going to be swimming in carnosaurs and stegadons from basically the beginning of the game, and the boosted early DE economy can actually support you monster mashing super early. Also benefits a lot from the huge sweeping buffs to dragons.
  • 4. Morathi - basically as good as she ever was, except now your chaos corruption gives you daemonettes and your main rivals either got moved slightly away from you(Alith Anar) or are busy with all the fuckery they added to the donut(the other elves). Start can still be kind of rough depending on who decides to war dec you immediately, and I don't like her building shuffle because shuffling Khainite Assassins off into their own building is actually a downgrade because that hero is so important now.
  • 5. Malekith/Hellebron - About even. Neither of these LLs are bad so much as I feel like the others have stronger mechanics and bonuses in the current game. Malekith actually benefits a bit from Naggarond being shrunk because he doesn't need to spend his first 7-8 turns chasing skaven into the godforsaken mountains.

Warriors of Chaos
  • 1. Be'lakor - I gushed about him earlier in the thread, but he's really the whole package. Great central start point, unmatched access to daemon units without losing any mortal unit access, starts with chaos gift slots of all the gods available, is a giant combat monster who is the god king of shadows magic(which is currently in the running for best lore in the game), can uniquely link up his entire empire with teleportation portals. No real flaws.
  • 2. Vilitch - this one surprised me a lot and a lot of it comes from his start position. Vilitch gets basically full and free access to the tiny strip of land beyond the Great Bastion, which is 1. in the corner of the map and 2. has like 4 dark fortresses, and then he can immediately invade Cathay and take several more for an insane powerhouse economy for WoC and also a bazillion heroes. Vilitch himself is a surprisingly strong lord - a strong AoE barrier regen lets him deathball just like Festus can, and he himself is a ridiculously tough nut to crack and can wipe blobs just like any Tzeentch caster can.
  • 3. Festus - Something of a rough start, but you can sidestep his issues by simply looping up to Norsca and stealing Azazel's house ASAP. Festus himself is a fantastic combat piece and complements Nurgle's approach to combat perfectly, and being Nurgle aligned is lovely in WoC - Nurgle exalted heroes are some of the best combat heroes in the game, and Nurgle caster lords/daemon princes are loving great.
  • 4. Valkia - "I want to play Khorne but also want to actually manage an empire instead of charging from settlement to settlement like I've got rabies". Khorne's roster is still top notch and Valkia is a solid if kind of boring lord to lead it.
  • 5. Archaon/Kholek - Both of them are perfectly solid starts, I just feel like if you're going to play Undivided Be'lakor blows them both away. Archaon actually suffers from the amusing problem of his start being way too easy, to boot.
  • 6. Azazel/Sigvald - I really feel like Slaanesh got the short end of the stick with Champions of Chaos. The missing units their roster received don't really help them as much as Nurgle and Tzeentch's additions, the Mark of Slaanesh is possibly the weakest mark(Strider on 28 speed infantry is some kind of cosmic joke), and their unique Chosen are currently the worst Chosen in the game by a lot. Seduction is flawed mechanic because you're still going to run into the perennial problem of "Oh cool you vassalized some order factions, congratulations because now you're going to be at war with every destruction faction in the world as they declare on your vassals". As far as the lords themselves, Azazel is okay - he's basically a small N'Kari with wings, and he's great at leadership bombs. Sigvald is still completely invincible but is also still a foot lord with no mount options and no particularly impressive abilities beyond "can't die" so I can't bring myself to care.

This post is getting a bit long, so I'll talk about the other factions I've been deep diving later, I think.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Very... interesting army compositions for these quest battles (armies like these can show up as early as turn 10, though you can beat them with proper chameleon cheesing).

I think some quest battles are specifically designed to undercut certain army compositions- early and mid-game.

There is a Grombrindal quest battle that is incredibly difficult if you have artillery+ranged spam.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cranappleberry posted:

I think some quest battles are specifically designed to undercut certain army compositions- early and mid-game.

There is a Grombrindal quest battle that is incredibly difficult if you have artillery+ranged spam.

I mean, I don't know how much design is involved in "Literally fill your entire army with Keepers of Secrets""
The Khorne deathstacks are a bit more manageable, since he seems to prefer to spam Minotaurs instead.

I did beat that battle though

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I ran into a lizardman faction that built a whole army full of dinosaurs that kicked my rear end

Also I think I've finally gotten ahold of Kairos, but apparently the Weaver of Fates plan for my faction is to constantly be at war with literally everyone, because the only two friendly factions around are the Tzeentch minor on Antarctica and some skaven that the elves wiped off the map before turn 10. Its been really hard and at times pretty frustrating (i've had to restart a couple of times), but I think I've finally gotten the hang of it. Blue horrors are an amazing gunline and meat shield and Kairos can easily rack up hundreds of kills from his spells, its great.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cranappleberry posted:

The early Katarina one is ugly with the base units.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

Azazel/Sigvald - I really feel like Slaanesh got the short end of the stick with Champions of Chaos. The missing units their roster received don't really help them as much as Nurgle and Tzeentch's additions, the Mark of Slaanesh is possibly the weakest mark(Strider on 28 speed infantry is some kind of cosmic joke), and their unique Chosen are currently the worst Chosen in the game by a lot. Seduction is flawed mechanic because you're still going to run into the perennial problem of "Oh cool you vassalized some order factions, congratulations because now you're going to be at war with every destruction faction in the world as they declare on your vassals". As far as the lords themselves, Azazel is okay - he's basically a small N'Kari with wings, and he's great at leadership bombs. Sigvald is still completely invincible but is also still a foot lord with no mount options and no particularly impressive abilities beyond "can't die" so I can't bring myself to care.

I'm just wrapping up a Sigvald campaign that I enjoyed. I'm not sure if this is available to all of the WoC factions, but the gift that allows army wide vanguard deployment for Slaanesh marked units really resolved a lot of the problems with a WoC infantry army. My marked Chosen would end up at 40 speed, which is plenty when you can deploy right in the enemy's face. Chaos Knights would hit 86 speed, which also made them feel a lot less lumbering than the 66 or whatever on the basic type. Can confirm that Sigvald is still completely invincible (thanks 110 MD, AE MA debuff, and perfect vigor!).

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Long time coming but finally giving Khatep a proper go. His main issue in WHII was being crammed in a tiny corner of the map with nowhere to really go except a sea of dark elves.

Not so now. It’s turn 28 and a fleet of tomb kings lands on the shores of eastern cathay. Khatep’s going on tour.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Did a bit of an experiment. I confederated middenland and Belakor was on the outskirts. When I held the land he went through a settlement a turn rampaging. I reloaded and didn't confederate. Ten turns later and nobody has heard anything from Belakor.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Both of the Settra quests just want to torture you with Artillery units

So I cheesed both times by just yeeting Settra to murder the artillery and skedaddle

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The early Katarina one is ugly with the base units.

Unless they fixed it turning on auto-skirmish at the start of the quest battle regardless of your settings is a giant gently caress you too. You start backed up against a wall and everyone auto-retreats on top of themselves so nothing can shoot and you get murdered by a flamer.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Having a great time with Festus but it takes forever to work up to the higher level dark God gifts. What does a warrior of chaos have to do to get a second nurgle slot.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Khatep in my Sisters game might be the most useful and steadfast ally I've ever had in a strategy game lol. It's about turn 100, and we've been allied since about turn 5. I raze the lands of the dark elves/chaos wastes and give him ally orders every so often, he colonizes behind me, defends his lands well and I think has always mobilized towards what I've asked him to do. It's weird.

The world is a total clusterfuck right now though. There are about 80 factions left and I bet every one of them is at war with at least 4 others. Ikit Claw and Sniktch are currently invading the donut while Kroq-Gar and Teclis descend on the Tzeentch bastion that's formed in the Southland. Durthu and a supporting Kislev garrison just beat back Azazel and some other Slaanesh host. It's wild poo poo and I can't imagine what it'll be like after 3-5 years of more content, patches and mods.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

JBP posted:

Did a bit of an experiment. I confederated middenland and Belakor was on the outskirts. When I held the land he went through a settlement a turn rampaging. I reloaded and didn't confederate. Ten turns later and nobody has heard anything from Belakor.

Yeah I'm noticing that a lot of LLs are establishing little 5-10 settlement kingdoms by wiping out minors and occasionally I'll see something funny via diplomacy like Grom holding Massif Orcall in at turn 90 as a single settlement. Everybody around him hates him, how did they not a-click to that? I think IE has new player based triggers that keep the AI from being as aggressive, especially with each other, though once you're aware of each other and declarations are issued they behave normally. Maybe triggers that prevent LLs from killing each other offscreen nearly as much? It makes ramping up and building your empire early dramatically easier and the mid and late game nice and tense if you can't just point your LL or a doomstack and paint.

Like I had 5 Lords sweeping Cathay as Tretch and 5+ more plus having to replace those that died holding the mountains in the west from multiple order factions working together and it was really difficulty to advance on them. And Wurrzag and Vlad were still there running wild and not getting along with the ordertide either! Fun stuff.

Now that I think about it Eshin held on by a single settlement the entire time too when I was first approaching Cathay as Tretch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Impermanent posted:

Having a great time with Festus but it takes forever to work up to the higher level dark God gifts. What does a warrior of chaos have to do to get a second nurgle slot.

Are they tied to techs? Valkia's are tied to techs. I have three Khorne slots before turn 50. And well, one of those techs was the mapwide spell for Big Sword. :clint: