Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what I do when I'm idea hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, but that's a very general ranking and doesn't mean a whole lot other than "this is what user-submitted decks on an unmoderated website play a lot of", and isn't linked to actual card quality or influencer by what commander you are playing, so consider the value dubious.

Agreed, and you know that, but it's the answer to the question. It's also a decent start for someone coming back to the game without having to comb through 20 years of draft chaff.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Aranan posted:

Agreed, and you know that, but it's the answer to the question. It's also a decent start for someone coming back to the game without having to comb through 20 years of draft chaff.

It's great for that, it's great for getting ideas.

There are people in this very thread who make statements about the meta based on EDHREC card rankings and stuff which is just lol.

I think I made like 40+ decks on EDHREC that were never assembled or printed or anything before I switched to moxfield, where I've made literally hundreds of decks that were never assembled nor printed (but a lot of them at least had articles written about them).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I know nothing about the meta, I just play cards that are pretty and nice and are fun to play. CEDH sounds awful to me lol

I tweak my decks, Neera is my strongest and she's a blast to play, but the idea of adjusting to meta is boring and lame and I'm just gonna be casual and play under optimised cards I like instead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have never tweaked a deck to adjust to my personal meta, I just build a wide variety of decks with different strengths and weaknesses

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

I have never tweaked a deck to adjust to my personal meta, I just build a wide variety of decks with different strengths and weaknesses

Disgusting. I bet you even enjoy building and playing them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Disgusting. I bet you even enjoy building and playing them.

:sickos:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My group started playing pauper commander and it's the most fun I've had with magic in months. Tons of cards I would never look at otherwise and we're discovering a ton of stuff we've never seen before instead of seeing the same board wipes and removal and combos every game.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Heath posted:

My group started playing pauper commander and it's the most fun I've had with magic in months. Tons of cards I would never look at otherwise and we're discovering a ton of stuff we've never seen before instead of seeing the same board wipes and removal and combos every game.

Best way to refresh your games is to have new cards introduced into the pool, either from new sets coming out, or as in your case, adding restrictions (like pauper) to force creativity. These kinds of things can be super fun if you have a whole group whose into the idea. If enough people have access to a broad enough range of cards you can do themed commander nights as well, like only cards from specifics blocks or specific planes.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TotalHell posted:

Best way to refresh your games is to have new cards introduced into the pool, either from new sets coming out, or as in your case, adding restrictions (like pauper) to force creativity. These kinds of things can be super fun if you have a whole group whose into the idea. If enough people have access to a broad enough range of cards you can do themed commander nights as well, like only cards from specifics blocks or specific planes.

I liked watching Commander VS for the various restrictions they had every week.

1) Everyone picks a plane, only cards from there + core sets
2) $X budget based on card prices the day they set the restriction
3) Everyone builds two decks and then they get handed out randomly
4) Secret Santa deck building where you have to build a deck for one other person

I think Jeremy Noell also does Commander on MTGO where the decks have a very low tix restriction (like 10 or 2 or something).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I liked watching Commander VS for the various restrictions they had every week.

1) Everyone picks a plane, only cards from there + core sets
2) $X budget based on card prices the day they set the restriction
3) Everyone builds two decks and then they get handed out randomly
4) Secret Santa deck building where you have to build a deck for one other person

I think Jeremy Noell also does Commander on MTGO where the decks have a very low tix restriction (like 10 or 2 or something).

That is a lot of loving work.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Well they do get paid for it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah god forbid you actually do something that requires effort in this game instead of just going to EDHRec and building the same deck 4 times

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Heath posted:

My LGS has a newbie-friendly pauper Commander night. The sharks stay away, so it's the chill regulars leaving pauper or low power dumb stuff and new players with precons or borrowed decks. It's pretty fun and a great way to build community.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's very cool to be able to play and have something like Crib Swap be a high tier removal spell, or to have combat tricks and go-wide strategies be viable

I ran over my friends with an army of 1/1 bunnies with Cadira last night. Good times

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Heath posted:

Yeah god forbid you actually do something that requires effort in this game instead of just going to EDHRec and building the same deck 4 times

Sorry, I only review every single card that comes out for applicability to EDH, and write a commander article a week. My bad, I'll try to :effort: a bit harder.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

pseudanonymous posted:

Sorry, I only review every single card that comes out for applicability to EDH, and write a commander article a week. My bad, I'll try to :effort: a bit harder.

This is why I put caveats in my original post about this. If you don’t have access to the cards or you have people in your group who say “This is too much effort for too little return” then you should, you know, not do it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

PleasantKenobi - Why Do You Still Play These Cards?

E: He starts off by telling people to stop playing taplands and then kicks off his list with Temple of the False God.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There are just too many untapped duals (ranging from usable to actually good) these days to ever really justify running tapped ones.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ravnica Bounce lands are basically the only cipt duals I still sleeve up, but that’s because rebuying your modal spell lands as spells late game Fuckin owns

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Typed duals that etbt are fine since they can be fetched or tutored on someone else's end step

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silhouette posted:

Typed duals that etbt are fine since they can be fetched or tutored on someone else's end step

Yeah. I run the tango lands in all but the most competitive lists if I need more duals.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There's a lot of ETBT lands with weird properties.

The MDFC spell/lands except for the mythics enter tapped, so Bala Ged Sanctuary and Glasspool Shore among others. The bridges ETBT. Every land with Cycling that adds colored mana also ETBT, which includes a full fourth of the deserts. Same with colored ebt life gain lands. The Depletion lands and the Fallen Empires sacrifice goobers, that add two colored mana for one land drop, also ETBT.

There's a lot of one-off lands like Hall of the Bandit Lord and Field of the Dead that ETBT but sometimes they're win conditions.

There are only four Island Mountains and Niv-Mizzet, Parun costs UUURRR. That one matters most to me.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I just try to keep my tapped lands below a fifth of my total lands (and obviously make sure they're in the deck for a good reason). Seems to work out fine for casual play and feels a world apart from the kind of tapland-heavy land bases that plague precons

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Heath posted:

It's very cool to be able to play and have something like Crib Swap be a high tier removal spell, or to have combat tricks and go-wide strategies be viable

I ran over my friends with an army of 1/1 bunnies with Cadira last night. Good times

i use crib swap in my 5-color changeling "sweep the floor" tribal deck because you can cast it endlessly from your graveyard when haakon's out

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I forget specifically which of you goons is the Commander Mechanic on YT but grats on getting what looks to be a huge rear end pentagonal box from WOTC to open up.

Also I saw that short on Ratadrabik(sp?), and would like to know more about this making infinite tokens to destroy my enemies with......

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Jiro posted:

I forget specifically which of you goons is the Commander Mechanic on YT but grats on getting what looks to be a huge rear end pentagonal box from WOTC to open up.

Also I saw that short on Ratadrabik(sp?), and would like to know more about this making infinite tokens to destroy my enemies with......

That would be Balon.

So I set down to build a deck to abuse Traxos' untap. One of the players in my group asked for a colorless deck, and he prefers fairly casual stuff. I settled on vehicles because I just haven't ever done anything with them, and T-Pain can crew any vehicle by himself easily. Even though the deck is casual, I'm concerned that vehicles might not hit hard enough, especially in a deck that can't run the colored ones from Kamigawa. Thoughts?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Colorless decks are absolutely memes, you can either play insane ramp and Stax pieces into your completely hosed up Eldrazi commander or your deck kind of sputters & fails to do anything. Conceptually the idea of using Traxos to crew multiple vehicles at once is really cool, but I just don’t think the connective tissue will really come together in most games unless you absolutely juice the gently caress out of their mana base and draw engines. If the deck isn’t reliably hitting its Skysovereign or whatever then it’s not doing anything all, so you’ll for sure need stuff like Inventor’s Fair & Mystic Forge and I would run all the Cloud Key-Cost reducer cards.

Post an idea list on Moxfield and we can spruce it up within your budget.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh one funny thing colorless deckbuilders sometimes do is try to include stuff like Myriad Landscape to try and go fetch up basics, then include a few Wastes in the landbase

this doesn't work: Wastes are basic lands but they lack a type and so can't be searched up by that stuff

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Too bad the player wants a colorless deck and not a vehicles/equipment deck. Astor, Bearer of Blades might have been fun to build around.

E:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh one funny thing colorless deckbuilders sometimes do is try to include stuff like Myriad Landscape to try and go fetch up basics, then include a few Wastes in the landbase

this doesn't work: Wastes are basic lands but they lack a type and so can't be searched up by that stuff

I learned that from an episode of Commander VS!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Colorless decks are absolutely memes, you can either play insane ramp and Stax pieces into your completely hosed up Eldrazi commander or your deck kind of sputters & fails to do anything. Conceptually the idea of using Traxos to crew multiple vehicles at once is really cool, but I just don’t think the connective tissue will really come together in most games unless you absolutely juice the gently caress out of their mana base and draw engines. If the deck isn’t reliably hitting its Skysovereign or whatever then it’s not doing anything all, so you’ll for sure need stuff like Inventor’s Fair & Mystic Forge and I would run all the Cloud Key-Cost reducer cards.

Post an idea list on Moxfield and we can spruce it up within your budget.

Yeah. I like the challenge of building colorless, but ooh boy is it tough sledding. Removal in particular is hot garbage.

Mystic Forge could be crazy good in this deck and is 10000% on my mental list, as are all of the cost reducer I am allowed to use. I'll post a Moxfield list in a bit when I get a chance to throw one together.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I noticed this too and I avoided it as I started to put a mana base together. My comment to my group's Slack chat was, "It's cool to run all these utility lands because the deck is colorless. My mana base can do so many things! Granted, they're all things that I need them to do because colorless decks are poo poo."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Reminds me of people brewing Raggadragga without looking up what a mana ability is.

Grand Warlord Radha does not have a mana ability.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Alright. Got a quick and dirty list for Traxos. It's not done, and aside from lands it is not pared down at all. I am just working with what I know I have lying around, but not against going out and getting new cards to fill holes. I added a few flashier cards that I normally wouldn't have in a budget deck: Maze of Ith, Urza's Saga, All is Dust, and holy poo poo Unlicensed Hearse is worth a lot, huh?. I had to add some fuel for the terrible options this deck gives me for tutors, boardwipes, etc.

The vehicles are just kind of a pile of potential adds expecting that I'll winnow them down more than other parts of the list. I'm also looking for more tapdown options for Traxos like Paradise Mantle, Heavy Arbalest, and Honor-Worn Shaku.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/PjL8WxbOnkWdeeDvKPy3Pw

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

Word hey thanks! I’m on the wotc swag list now which is pretty cool, you can see some of the stuff here (there was a shirt, a light, and a bunch of sealed product):

https://twitter.com/cmdrmechanic/status/1567324665848238081?s=21&t=Vg911xruAtcYkXmLpHcxjQ

The Ratadrabik combo is pretty cool, but I think it fits best in the 99 of a Sharuum deck right now until we get a BW legend that can rez itself on ETB

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Balon posted:

Word hey thanks! I’m on the wotc swag list now which is pretty cool, you can see some of the stuff here (there was a shirt, a light, and a bunch of sealed product):

https://twitter.com/cmdrmechanic/status/1567324665848238081?s=21&t=Vg911xruAtcYkXmLpHcxjQ

The Ratadrabik combo is pretty cool, but I think it fits best in the 99 of a Sharuum deck right now until we get a BW legend that can rez itself on ETB

Now I just want to play Time Sieve, a sac outlet, Ratadrabik, and Sharuum and kill the table with the most awkward Kiki combo ever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pre-Report for Cash Cards Unlimited Black Lotus Roundup

Top 16 Decklists

Mono-U Teferi won the Lotus, lmao

Remember folx, Tier Lists are GARBAGE and anything can viable if you just believe

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I would not read too heavily into this event. One of the top 16 made it in at 2-0-4. They did not finish 2/3rds of their games. It sounds like the logistics of this were... not great.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Drawing a game that you absolutely cannot win is part of tournament magic in every format. If the pilot was playing to a draw then I don’t really see how that’s indicative of some structural failing, those are basically the same stats SickRobot used to win T1 Con last year using Cody.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tournament winner used 2014 Precon Teferi holy poo poo. The rest of his deck list is nasty. :yeshaha:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not following how that Teferi deck works at all. :psyduck: