Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

the one looks too much like Donald Trump and to be honest it's kind of hosed up of you to post it here

Well either that or some sort of Habsburg nightmare poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was hoping my brother might let me play his copies of Moon and Ultra Sun since I never finished my playthrough of Sun (and never played the Ultra games at all) but sadly nope. drat Pokemon and its one save file bullshit.

I'll probably play his copy of New Pokemon Snap though, I did beat it but I never did the DLC.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Hell yeah. Please tell us about the first shiny you see. Seriously I wanna know. Mine was a zubat.

aside from the shiny ponyta you get from a quest, i just caught a shiny psyduck! just popped right up during an outbreak

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Heck yeah. Shiny Psyduck in a strange ball is my favorite thing. Mine is on his way to the Elite Four in Brilliant Diamond. Cloud nine is a pretty good ability.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Looper posted:

aside from the shiny ponyta you get from a quest, i just caught a shiny psyduck! just popped right up during an outbreak

That's fantastic! Shiny psyduck looks great. I'm not such a huge fan of shiny golduck.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wish I could use strange balls all the time don't make fun of me

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a random shiny and I’ve played at least one game from every gen but 5.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

My first shiny in Arceus was Pidove! I worked extra hard to get a shiny Rufflet later on. It took hours, but it was worth it. Cool birdy guy!

Strange ball is cool as gently caress. They could add a line of mono-color gradient Pokeballs at a premium in SV and I'd buy them all.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a random shiny and I’ve played at least one game from every gen but 5.

this, except ive not missed any gen. only shinys ive sene are storyline ones, and ones in side games like pogo and pla where the rate is jacked up for whatever reason.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this mf said sene

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I scammed a kid in middle school out of his shiny golem by making a bet that I could beat his groudon with a low level raticate and then doing the focus sash/endeavor/quick attack trick

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

indigi posted:

this mf said sene

Stux is a neurodivergent minor, please don't be ableist/ageist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

I scammed a kid in middle school out of his shiny golem by making a bet that I could beat his groudon with a low level raticate and then doing the focus sash/endeavor/quick attack trick

that loving owns

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My first shiny was an all-green Oddish in Emerald. I was a little bummed out at first, but in hindsight, I've developed a fondness for the line.

I've still never made a team around Vileplume though. I guess it'd just be a low-tier sun team? Even with Chlorophyll though, 50 base speed seems kind of bad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'd only ever see one shiny before PLA and now I have a dozen or so. Including a shiny Decidueye! And two shiny shinx who appeared together in a swarm.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i have never found a shiny pokemon and i like it. i guess some of the switch games have a lot more of them but i haven't played those. if i do find one then it's going to be nyuts and i'll try to beat the game with that pokemon by itself

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I'd only ever see one shiny before PLA and now I have a dozen or so. Including a shiny Decidueye! And two shiny shinx who appeared together in a swarm.

Yeah, every single shiney I have is either from PLA or from Pokemon Go. I've been playing since Red/Blue (that and the Gameboy were the first "big purchase" baby me ever paid for myself) and I've literally never seen one in the base games.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I've only seen one shiny (graveler in a double battle. Exploded before i could do anything.) until I found a way to hack in the pokemon I catch on emulator to transfer to pokemon home. Then I went on a tear tryna catch em all. Found a lil less than ten by the time I got to endgame shield.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I found a shiny tangela in crystal once.

Good shiny IMO.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have over 500+ different shiny species in Go, pretty easy to build a collection if you play every day for 6 years. And while I've been playing since Gen 1, took until a random Natu hatch in Diamond for my first.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

lmao that kid got owned. :discourse:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

At this point I've gotten a ton of shinies... Maybe about 60 or 80 now?

I need to do some kind of inventory check, and not include all the hacked surprise trade shinies

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
a FEARful scam.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

my first non-WT shiny ever was the first egg I ever hatched. it was a Honedge in Ultra Moon. but I'd skipped gens 5-6 and only played the first wave of gen 4

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm going to do another playthrough of Shield before the new games come out.

I'm going to do a monotype Bug run this time. Galar gives you access to a lot of good bugs, and a lot of them are pretty early on too. Should make for a fun challenge.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
While I have memories of a blue-pink Porygon in Crystal, first full-odds shiny I had was a Tentacruel in Platinum.

Followed weeks later by a blue Girafarig in Soul Silver's Safari zone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
new reverend video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_iIVNV_AMA

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My first shiny was a Roselia in Emerald. I nearly lost my poo poo, and didn't even end up using it. >_>

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

My first shiny was a Roselia in Emerald. I nearly lost my poo poo, and didn't even end up using it. >_>

Yeah ultimately that's the fate of most shinies in a given playthrough. I usually can't bare to use them for various reasons, but I guess the most important one is if the evolved form has a coloration that's not as good looking as an earlier form.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Let's be real it was shite at the time.
Though I actually have never used a roserade in my playthrough.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Let's be real it was shite at the time.
Though I actually have never used a roserade in my playthrough.

*Stares wistfully up at the heavens* I remember the days when Hidden power hadn't yet been cut.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

We're getting Tera Blast in the new games so Hidden Power is more or less back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hidden Power was the worst part of IVs.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Vandar posted:

I've heard that any Pokemon can be any Tera type, but I'm wondering if its possible to be manipulated by the player or if it'll be like the Gigantamax factor and that ability will be limited to DLC

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zuzie posted:

I've heard that any Pokemon can be any Tera type

this has absolutely not been confirmed (or even in any reputable leak), and in fact i'd say that it'd be kinda weird given how they've talked about it so far. granted they haven't confirmed it doesnt work like that but I've been pretty tuned in to the leak stuff and haven't seen it confirmed by anyone in that sphere

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
My first shiny upon starting fresh in gen8 was a rookidee on the first route outside motosuke. Needless to say it was on my team until I gave it Gigantimax form in the post-game, because Shiny Gigantimax Corviknight is one of the coolest looking out there

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vandar posted:

It might only work when actually Teratalized though

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Doesn't one of the promotional blurbs for the mystery gift Tera-Flying Pikachu say there's no other way to obtain one in-game? That implies there's some limit on what type/mon combinations can be used. That or every combination can be gotten except Flying Pikachu, which I guess I wouldn't put it past them.

RatHat posted:

It might only work when actually Teratalized though

Yeah, the site says the move's type only changes when you're Tera'd.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wow the preorder bonuses for this generation suck epic doodoo butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

indigi posted:

wow the preorder bonuses for this generation suck epic doodoo butter

To be honest, its better then something like a Mythical Pokemon or anything that'll actually aggravate people's fomo.

From what I remember reading somewhere, most Pokemon you catch or transfer into Scarlet and Violet will just have the Tera type be the same type they already are. The ones you get from those special crystal "dens" are ones that can become a different type when they Teratailize or whatever the transformation is called.

This is my prediction: Based on how Gigantamaxing was handled in Sword and Shield, the monsters that are generated from these Tera battles have the potential to be any Tera type. The likelihood of finding Pokemon a useful Tera type would be low and is very much dependent on what type the Pokemon is normally (something that normally has a double weakness would love to get a Tera type that counteracts that weakness). For a paid DLC introduced much later on, something will allow you to control what type any of your monsters can Teratailize into.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 6, 2022