Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like the applause for the King after he fucks up killing a deer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In the Game of Crabs you either eat, or get snipped.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

BigglesSWE posted:

In the Game of Crabs you either eat, or get snipped.

Or in Daemon's case he'll jump kick you.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Lannisters had a long way to go before getting to Tywin apparently

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This show is seriously good and I can’t imagine why anyone would speak against it.

It is known.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
So the guy who played Jason Lannister, played Ser Hugh in GOT.

And he was the podcaster guy in Halloween(2018) which is why I kept thinking "I know this guy"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Miching Mallecho posted:

And he was the podcaster guy in Halloween(2018) which is why I kept thinking "I know this guy"

Thanks cus when I saw him I was like, “I swear I’ve seen him before somewhere in some medieval show like this” and holy poo poo it was GoT. :v:

Also lol at Daemon literally going I’d rather die if this plan doesn’t work than be bailed out by my brother. :lol:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
This episode was better than anything from the last five seasons of game of thrones.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The lead Crabman's costume and makeup were seriously rad as hell

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
why would you not show the fight lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Miching Mallecho posted:

and fuckin' Torstein on Vikings!

Big fan of Vaemond laying about with a bardiche. Not enough polearms usage in medieval shows honestly

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nighttime dragon battles look sick as gently caress.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Caraxes is probably the best dragon design put to film. Love it!

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

ex post facho posted:

why would you not show the fight lol

It probably wasn't much of a fight. Crabman looked like he had an advanced case of... I'm guessing Greyscale? He was all twitchy and blind in one eye.

He's fine at walking around, crucifying people and putting crabs on them, likely not so great against someone armed with Valyrian steel.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Also it seemed like the Crabfeeder was never really a match for Daemon. He drew out the fight hoping to garner his brothers attention, but instead of a “good job, bro,way to deal with this problem for me”, Daemon only got a message years into the fight that his brother was coming to bail him out of trouble, so he made a particularly showy display of ending the war, and showing he never needed his brother’s aid.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I feel like the writers of this show really like Succession.

Put Kieran Culkin in a blonde wig, please.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Glad to see Rhaenyra got to take her frustrations out on that boar.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

I thought Daemon was gonna knife Corlys's brother for talking poo poo, instead he reads the letter telling him hes got reinforcements and proceeds to beat the poo poo out of the messenger

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DukeofCA posted:

It probably wasn't much of a fight. Crabman looked like he had an advanced case of... I'm guessing Greyscale? He was all twitchy and blind in one eye.

He's fine at walking around, crucifying people and putting crabs on them, likely not so great against someone armed with Valyrian steel.

Yeah, he got greyscale. There’s a half hour behind the scenes show for every episode where the show creators confirmed it last ep.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This show is super good. Am I mistaken or did Matt Smith not have a single line of dialogue all episode and yet stole the finale? All they needed was a few lines of exposition and the writing and Smith's acting carried the rest through to the dramatic battle setpiece. Just really well done. I've always been a Matt Smith fanboy but they've given him so much to chew on in this show and he's knocking it out of the park.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

This show is super good. Am I mistaken or did Matt Smith not have a single line of dialogue all episode and yet stole the finale?

He might’ve shouted something at the beginning when he was on his dragon, I don’t remember, but other than that I think you’re right. The scene where he gets the message is one of his best and he didn’t even have to say anything.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Episode was mostly good, but the entire last battle was bizarre. Why portray Crabby's archers as stormtrooper bad shots, only to land three hits in a row, only to have none of slow Matt Smith down? Why have crabby scan the sky for dragons only to have a tactical stealth dragon come out of nowhere?

Just a whole lot of weird writing decisions. You probably could've gotten to the same point without such a baffling fight.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It's neat watching this in parallel with Rings of Power. I'm enjoying RoP well-enough but this show seems to be doing everything better, including colorblind/diverse/equitable casting, with the exception of the scenic eye candy. Everyone is more interesting and likable; I'll keep tuning in to RoP because why not but right now I'm looking forward to more of this show in a way I'm not with the other one.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tom Tucker posted:

This show is super good. Am I mistaken or did Matt Smith not have a single line of dialogue all episode and yet stole the finale? All they needed was a few lines of exposition and the writing and Smith's acting carried the rest through to the dramatic battle setpiece. Just really well done. I've always been a Matt Smith fanboy but they've given him so much to chew on in this show and he's knocking it out of the park.

Matt Smith challenged him in the beginning but yeah, man can act his rear end off without even any dialogue. Simply a true professional in action.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

Episode was mostly good, but the entire last battle was bizarre. Why portray Crabby's archers as stormtrooper bad shots, only to land three hits in a row, only to have none of slow Matt Smith down? Why have crabby scan the sky for dragons only to have a tactical stealth dragon come out of nowhere?

Just a whole lot of weird writing decisions.

Agreed. I liked it all except for the battle which was the first time i've had flashbacks to the bad GoT seasons. The whole thing was just so ridiculous, like the war has been going on for 2 years because they can "hide in caves"? Just burn their ships lmao

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Something my friend pointed out is that Viserys's infected cuts seem to now have him missing two fingers. Love the metaphor of the throne cutting away at him, it's heavy handed but it works

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

His hand is looking more and more like the Hand of the King pin.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
this was easily the best episode so far. viserys' actor is so good.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Why make the battle so bad? That was literally somebody putting together some scenes some producer (or director) dreamed of. If that was replaced with dozen still images, it would be an actual improvement.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

unlimited shrimp posted:

It's neat watching this in parallel with Rings of Power. I'm enjoying RoP well-enough but this show seems to be doing everything better, including colorblind/diverse/equitable casting, with the exception of the scenic eye candy. Everyone is more interesting and likable; I'll keep tuning in to RoP because why not but right now I'm looking forward to more of this show in a way I'm not with the other one.

House of the Dragon has been really solid so far and can easily turn into something great. If the first two episodes of Rings of Power are indicative of things to come, I see that show going the way of Boba Fett, a show in the "oh yeah, that exists" bin

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Gladi posted:

Why make the battle so bad? That was literally somebody putting together some scenes some producer (or director) dreamed of. If that was replaced with dozen still images, it would be an actual improvement.

Nah it ruled and anyone who shits on this but loved Battle of the Bastards (which was at least 3 times dumber) is whack.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't tell with the helmet, who on earth was the guy riding a dragon at the end?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Darko posted:

I grew up in a community where 70% of women were wearing wigs and weaves that were obviously not their hair to the point where it was just normal; I literally don't even notice anything different or wigs at all due to that conditioning.

the mirror image of this experience is very funny: i grew up in a zero-wig childhood. i took a job at a school in nigeria in my late 20s, where 90% of the employees were women, and hair/hairstyle is a way i've used to memorize people i've just met, especially if many at once. i went back to work after a long holiday weekend and half my co-workers had been fired and replaced

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I don't mind about dumb battles but I really hope they don't do the thing where the size and effectiveness of every force varies from episode to episode

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

PostNouveau posted:

I couldn't tell with the helmet, who on earth was the guy riding a dragon at the end?

I think that was Laenor Velaryon. I didn't notice him on the battlefield.

In other news did anyone else get really distracted by this painting tapestry? in the background of Alicent/Otto's scene?

Pobrecito fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 5, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pobrecito posted:

I think that was Laenor Velaryon. I didn't notice him on the battlefield.

Ohhhh, OK. Did he have that dragon the whole time? They could have set that up.

Anyway, great ep. Love King Dork more than ever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that whole last battle was awful

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
God, I also loved the Lannister who won't shut the gently caress up about being a Lannister and how great Casterly Rock is.

Even when he presented his spear he was like "Made in our great forge of Blah Blah Blah" like the King would give a gently caress that it was made in Casterly Rock's forge.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they could have spent thirty seconds longer with jason to make him seem halfway enticing before instadick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol at how bad the battle was. I agree with the broad strokes. Pride gets Daemon into this mess but it also gets him out of it. Predictable, but pretty fun.

But the actual battle, holy poo poo was that awful. They described exactly what would happen before it happened. Thanks for the suspense?

And none of it makes any sense. How the gently caress do crab people not anticipate the arrival of a dragon, having battled it for literally months? How does an entire army reach the battle zone without being noticed from high-altitude archers? To begin, how does being holed up in a cave constitute a tactical advantage? If they can’t come out they can’t disrupt your ships, which was their whole MO. Just park some dudes at the entrance and starve them out. And then the final swordfight takes place off screen. Wow.

I still mostly enjoy the rest of the show but lol that a GoT show butchers a battle sequence so badly. I honestly don’t think there’s another GoT battle that’s been so bad. Maybe the Dorne stuff but everything beyond the wall, illogical as it was, was still heads and shoulders above this in pure entertainment.