Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CainFortea posted:

You don't actually believe it though. You're just making an argument.
I really do believe that I would not be able to tell the difference between being instantly killed and reconstituted as a completely new being with all my memories and being teleported seamlessly into a new spatial position. If I were killed I could never know it because I would not exist and the being that replaced me would believe and profess they weren't killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Jesus takes care of the souls during transport. It's not complicated.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CainFortea posted:

You don't actually believe it though. You're just making an argument.

You actually believe you shouldn't go around telling people what they actually believe.

Did that work? If so, you actually believe you owe me five grand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

You actually believe you shouldn't go around telling people what they actually believe.

Did that work? If so, you actually believe you owe me five grand.

I was giving them the benefit of a doubt. Turns out they really are just fabulously stupid.

My bad.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Transporters are actually Q, he set them up so he could harass Picard because without transporters Picard would have been stuck at the vineyard.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nigmaetcetera posted:

You’d climb into a sausage grinder head first wouldn’t you?

Is that not the best way? Going feet first involves experiencing much more pain.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Jesus takes care of the souls during transport. It's not complicated.

Man's a hard worker

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I thought all people in transporters were weird one eyed worm creatures like that one Barclay episode.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CainFortea posted:

I was giving them the benefit of a doubt. Turns out they really are just fabulously stupid.

My bad.

well, of the two of you, one is clinging to an unreasonable delusion because it makes them feel good while attacking rational belief as stupid, displaying both intolerance and ignorance in the same breath, while the other would, given access to transporters, never have to experience the very real and permanent, torturous death of flying in economy for 31 hours straight.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CainFortea posted:

My bad.
Sorry to hear you're struggling to confront concepts alien to you, perhaps abstracting them through science fiction could help? The Prestige touches on this particular topic.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Other trek controversies:

Is consuming replicated meat that is generated from non-invasive/non-destructive DNA scans ethical or not?

If someone commits horrific acts in a holodeck that would be illegal in real life, should authorities arrest them for deviant behavior?

How do local/state/federal/global governments operate with the oversight of the Federation on top of that. Are they treated more like managers of theme parks than real governments?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Sorry to hear you're struggling to confront concepts alien to you, perhaps abstracting them through science fiction could help? The Prestige touches on this particular topic.

The concept isn't really confusing. It's just wrong.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So the rather bad (even when you ignore it’s loving with canon on Galadriel and the Hobbits) RoP is being derided for both being slow and having rather derivative action scenes. (of the Witcher where such scenes work) and the creatives behind Picard have been defending it. Seriously what is it with all the writers in Hollywood being in lockstep?

By the way Worf was the good guy in the Risa Episode. Also let the planet be the wet world it’s meant to be. Sounds funner then horny swinger land.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 5, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You're quite welcome to present your evidence against materialist reality.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

I did, Worf was right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jesus loving christ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghostlight posted:

I really do believe that I would not be able to tell the difference between being instantly killed and reconstituted as a completely new being with all my memories and being teleported seamlessly into a new spatial position. If I were killed I could never know it because I would not exist and the being that replaced me would believe and profess they weren't killed.

No, you wouldn't care as a whole new person who's alive and well. Still sucks for the first Ghostlight that actually got killed though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, the fact that it's a philosophy means it's made up bullshit already. But no, you prove that reality doesn't exist.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Transporters are suicide machines and no amount of argument will convince me otherwise. I stand by this statement and also that First Contact is the best TNG movie.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

This whole conversation is as enthralling as a catalogue of phaser banks and torpedo launchers on various Federation starship classes, and just as made up.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How many shitters has the Defiant got?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I mean, the fact that it's a philosophy means it's made up bullshit already. But no, you prove that reality doesn't exist.
Everything is made up bullshit. That is reality, which I do not deny. You say I am wrong and stupid for it, yet you cannot even articulate your own position let alone support it. I hope you find the peace you seek.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, you wouldn't care as a whole new person who's alive and well. Still sucks for the first Ghostlight that actually got killed though.
That idiot got what he deserved.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How many shitters has the Defiant got?

It had one but now it has none because that is now Worf's room.

If you try to go take a poo poo , Worf just starts sharpening his batleth.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Everything is made up bullshit. That is reality, which I do not deny. You say I am wrong and stupid for it, yet you cannot even articulate your own position let alone support it. I hope you find the peace you seek.

I don't have to. vOv. You're the one claiming that reality isn't real. You're going to need to do more than just mention some bullshit philosophy buzzwords. You sort of have the burden of proof here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm not sure how you got the idea I was claiming reality wasn't real when I made explicit reference to materialist reality - ie: the reality that can be materially proven to exist. I haven't had the burden of proof since you claimed my beliefs were wrong.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
"You have poo poo in the Defiants bathroom , you are with out Honor!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not sure how you got the idea I was claiming reality wasn't real when I made explicit reference to materialist reality - ie: the reality that can be materially proven to exist. I haven't had the burden of proof since you claimed my beliefs were wrong.

if someone posits the existence of something, the burden of proof is on them

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

This whole conversation is as enthralling as a catalogue of phaser banks and torpedo launchers on various Federation starship classes, and just as made up.

I would actually like this please. Gimmie those sweet sweet classified specs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why do ships even stock photons after quantums came out, anyway?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

the problem with quantum torpedos is that you can either know how many you have, or what ships they're on, but not both.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Not all ship's launchers can use quantum torpedos. And the federation doesn't really keep replacing their fleet with the newest and most destructive. Excelsior Class ships fought in the Dominion war.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

For every stupid Star Trek question there should be a Voyager episode like Threshold to provide a conclusive stupid answer

You want to know what happens when you go warp 10? Are you sure?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tunicate posted:

the problem with quantum torpedos is that you can either know how many you have, or what ships they're on, but not both.

It's a solution to stranded ships exceeding their allotted inventory with no discernable means of resupply or producing more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Not all ship's launchers can use quantum torpedos. And the federation doesn't really keep replacing their fleet with the newest and most destructive. Excelsior Class ships fought in the Dominion war.

Seems a bit silly not to make a compatible casing, they look the same size. Unless the launcher needs to do something quantum wierd to prime them or something.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 5, 2022

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

When I was a kid I thought they were launching "full-ton" torpedoes and was just waiting for the day they tried a half-ton or quarter-ton torpedo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tunicate posted:

if someone posits the existence of something, the burden of proof is on them
If you need proof that reality exists materially you need only to reach out and touch faith.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Sisko is the best captain, and he's a Kirk fan, while he thinks Picard sucks, so therefore, Kirk is better than Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

loving Star Trek thread.