Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
2 to 4 were good. I forgot if 5 or 6 had the weird slide stop mechanic (which sucked) 7 was ok until goddamn Dr Wily. 8 was… decent. 9 was a goddamn banger. 10 was alright. 11 felt fresh with the Megaman unlocking Gear mode :v:

I only play MM1 in MM powered up. It’s tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

6 is the one that doesn't let you jump out of a slide. 5 and 6 both have the mechanic where getting hit drops your charge and I hate it so much.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Inafune is the biggest Zero (as a character) fanboy in the universe and boy does it show.

Guy should have never been given main character status. He effectively has 1.5 series, hah.

So much makes sense when you see the first X game where Inafune had a title with some actual power was X4. He'd definitely influenced things a bit before, but that's the real start of the Zero Power Hour, when it comes to the plot.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

hatty posted:

Classic, Zero, and legends are all bangers. Only stinkers are in the X and BN series. Pretty good hit rate overall
calling either MM & Bass a banger is a new take

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The SNES version isn’t bad but the GBA port is terrrible yeah

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

hatty posted:

The SNES version isn’t bad but the GBA port is terrrible yeah

I meant the Wonderswan and SNES ones, I forget it got rereleased on GBA, oof

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

also MMI and MMII are pretty awful. I think III-V are all bangers tho so it kind of evens out

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Inafune is the biggest Zero (as a character) fanboy in the universe and boy does it show.

Guy should have never been given main character status. He effectively has 1.5 series, hah.

Tbf Zero is cooler than X.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shindragon posted:

2 to 4 were good. I forgot if 5 or 6 had the weird slide stop mechanic (which sucked) 7 was ok until goddamn Dr Wily. 8 was… decent. 9 was a goddamn banger. 10 was alright. 11 felt fresh with the Megaman unlocking Gear mode :v:

I only play MM1 in MM powered up. It’s tolerable.

They should bring back dropping like a rock if you walk off a ledge.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

x is lame zero pwns

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He has a sword and that's badass

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

X is cool too. shut up. i always gave him the sword in X3.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

chumbler posted:

Tbf Zero is cooler than X.

You are allowed to be wrong.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

So much makes sense when you see the first X game where Inafune had a title with some actual power was X4. He'd definitely influenced things a bit before, but that's the real start of the Zero Power Hour, when it comes to the plot.

To wit:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In this case, Inafune was right

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Broken clock and all that.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In this case, Inafune was right

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, supposedly, Zero was supposed to be X (who was designed by Kaji).

There's basically two stories of how that didn't happen. Either execs told Inafune no, or Inafune swapped them before walking into a meeting. Who the hell knows.

Whatever the case, it's good the swap happened because X is something almost resembling an actual character and not a walking meme.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Least x2 tried lol. loving x6 was like i hid behind a rock and recovered lol.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That line was meant to be sarcasm, supposedly.

Funny meme though.

EDIT: Actually, it's also funny to mention Zero hiding behind a rock, because he near-literally does hide behind one to spy on X and Alia in the X6 ending where you never find him:

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 5, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tallgeese posted:

That line was meant to be sarcasm, supposedly.

Funny meme though.

EDIT: Actually, it's also funny to mention Zero hiding behind a rock, because he near-literally does hide behind one to spy on X and Alia in the X6 ending where you never find him:

Zero withdraws coolly

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Shindragon posted:

Least x2 tried lol. loving x6 was like i hid behind a rock and recovered lol.

i thought x2's thing for it was fine and cool, but the problem is the game robbed you of one of the best boss fights (and music themes!!) if you succeeded.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/M1STERRYAN/status/1022944209995788288

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

counterpoint: zero owns and zero’s games own
perhaps inafune was right about a few things

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
fortunately we got the Zero series afterwards so we could get our fill of those classic Zero lines like "......"

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Augus posted:

counterpoint: zero owns and zero’s games own
perhaps inafune was right about a few things

Pressing X to doubt.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vizuyos posted:

fortunately we got the Zero series afterwards so we could get our fill of those classic Zero lines like

no further questions your honor

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My only point against that series is when Zero goes to see his original body. Its the same sprite. I was expecting maybe a broken beaten up MMX zero body.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
X4 managed the incredibly rare feat of a game with unchanged levels and two characters being fun to play as either character, proving that Zero and X have every right to just be equal to each other and there needn't be an argument about which is better.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Even Zero admits X is better than him though.

Shindragon posted:

My only point against that series is when Zero goes to see his original body. Its the same sprite. I was expecting maybe a broken beaten up MMX zero body.

Well, supposedly depending on who you ask and when you ask them, it's only an art style difference and they look exactly the same. I have been told that there is an interview that contradicts this but have never seen it, and for what it is worth X Dive tries to fix this by claiming Weil modified Zero's body, but... yeah.

On the other hand, MMZ is one of those series where you can't trust what the devs say in interviews, especially on the topic of Ciel's age for some reason.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 5, 2022

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Augus posted:

no further questions your honor

I will never forgive zero for crushing balls robots dreams like that

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Even Zero admits X is better than him though.

Well, supposedly depending on who you ask and when you ask them, it's only an art style difference and they look exactly the same. I have been told that there is an interview that contradicts this but have never seen it, and for what it is worth X Dive tries to fix this by claiming Weil modified Zero's body, but... yeah.

On the other hand, MMZ is one of those series where you can't trust what the devs say in interviews, especially on the topic of Ciel's age for some reason.

I mean isn't the obvious explanation that most of the armored bits are literally armor and he looks mostly human underneath, and he just changed his clothes at some point for whatever reason? I know the art style differences are the Word Of God explanation but, like. . .

Zero Series Zero is wearing a lot less, and really why would he go into hibernation in full battle gear?

And then the first thing you do in the Omega fight is destroy his giant shell armor thing.

(The rebels never gave Zero any armor because he never asked and they assumed the legendary Zero just didn't wear armor.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The black skintight-looking parts on ZX characters are their actual skin. Maybe it's the same for Zero.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My favorite Zero thing is him getting blown the gently caress up in X3 absolutely does not work if you consider how the scene would work in 3D.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

My favorite Zero thing is him getting blown the gently caress up in X3 absolutely does not work if you consider how the scene would work in 3D.

He doesn’t get blown up anyway. The robot falls on him, he gets badly damaged, tosses his saber over to X and then teleports out

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Even ignoring my "blow the gently caress up" hyperbole, it still makes him look incredibly stupid when the solution is as simple as "move to the side".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Even ignoring my "blow the gently caress up" hyperbole, it still makes him look incredibly stupid when the solution is as simple as "move to the side".

No argument there (though I have seen some fans in the past that were somehow under the impression Zero “died” in X3)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It was a really narrow hallway cut him some slack

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sigma shouldn't be the only one who knows how to make backups of himself, but no one else has his Sigma mindset.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The only way to make progress in X Dive is to unlock him and get into the Sigma Grindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

AngryRobotsInc posted:

So much makes sense when you see the first X game where Inafune had a title with some actual power was X4. He'd definitely influenced things a bit before, but that's the real start of the Zero Power Hour

As if I needed anything more to be cross with InafKING about...