Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm glad she's finding some food comfort in such a lovely time. gently caress cancer, I hope she continues to improve and that you make many more memories with her.

Did you write up the technique for lime pickle in your cookbook? I know I bought a digital copy once upon a time, but I can't remember the name so I can't find it. Regardless of whether it's written in there, could you remind me the name please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dang, hugs to you and your mom dino. Wishing her the best.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm starting to spec out for an outdoor kitchen at my new place. This is a smaller property than my previous place so I am trying to scale back. I previously had a huge single-burner and a separate grill. I wanted to try to consolidate this in a way that isn't too strange. I don't really think I can so I'm looking for alternatives too.

When I was grilling, I tended to just use a griddle on top anyways. We prefer smashburgers to grilled and I found myself doing a lot of stuff that would have just been messy in the kitchen outside like hash browns on a griddle. The single burner was particularly useful for deep frying, but I'd also flop a wok over on top of it and make some Sonoran tortilla shells on it.

I rarely operated both things at once and now that I don't have as much space, I figured I might as well collapse this. I personally would just go for some duel burner thing on which I can put a pair of griddles if I needed it. If I really wanted to grill something, I could fall back to a Weber kettle. I also smoke meat in that using a Slow and Sear. I didn't like what how my previous grill smoked meat.

There are three problems with the burners. One is that I may have a height issue here. The large burner was lower. presumably it would be easier to toss a large pot on it but I never did. Still, it was useful to be looking down at it. Meanwhile, the grill was nice because it was higher up, and it was nice *not* looking down in it and getting smoke in my eyes. So I have a situation to reconcile. The second problem is the aesthetics of the burners I was casually searching for online. The third problem is that we'll probably sell this house in two years too before moving somewhere more permanent and I can't do something absolutely wild. So my wife might just veto for a grill we personally don't use much.

Is there some pretty magic grill/griddle/fryer thing that would take care of business here?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
My mom and I were not talking for years, because of stuff I'd sooner not get into, so when she did reach out (via my big brother) to say sorry for all that, and will you please talk to me because I'm poo poo scared of this and I don't know crap about medical anything, and I don't want to die, I was like, "Yeah of course I will." She's been a real trooper about this. "Even though I've been going through such a scary process, I've seen so many miracles happening in my life, one of which is that I have my son back." Finished talking to her, and then bawled my eyes out.

She didn't know that she could request a home health aid, because the chemo leaves her so tired that she can't always remember to take all her meds on time, or keep up with meals. I told her to ask her doctor to make the request, and the doctor was like, "Sure, I'll put in the order for you." Anything to avoid another emergency room visit, which she freaking hates, but has to do if she spikes a fever, or if the pain gets unmanageable (it's happened three or so times thus far). They're also gonna do another round of bloodwork and a CAT scan to see if all this rigamarole has done anything. So fingers crossed it's good news.

@BrianBoitano - I never did write it up in the book, because it's a goddamned process to make any type of Indian pickle, and one that suits better to a video. I was about to link you a few recipes, but they're Tamil, so probably not very helpful. However, this Tamil lady laid down the process of one version in English here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1mekBsusA

I've used her recipes before, and they've come out pretty well.

@Rocko, if you're going to sell and move out anyways, and you don't really *grill* grill per se, but end up using a griddle anyways, why not grab one of those cast iron jobbies that goes over two stove top burners?

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Grid-Griddle-Reversible-Easy-Grip/dp/B00008GKDQ

I've used those guys before, and they're pretty neat. They have a grill looking side and a smooth side, so you can use it for pancakes and junk on weekends, and not just for grilling. Then you can grab you some cast iron stoves like these guys:

https://a.co/d/11WgwKX

My mom had them in her house in Florida, and they were pretty handy to have. You hook them up to a propane tank, and you're solid.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

When I was grilling, I tended to just use a griddle on top anyways. We prefer smashburgers to grilled and I found myself doing a lot of stuff that would have just been messy in the kitchen outside like hash browns on a griddle. The single burner was particularly useful for deep frying, but I'd also flop a wok over on top of it and make some Sonoran tortilla shells on it.

Can you elaborate on the tortilla? I found https://ladyandpups.com/2021/05/13/paper-thin-soft-chewy-sonoran-style-flour-tortilla/ which I could do with my camping skillet, and sure as poo poo am going to try. Regarding a wok though, I only saw reference in the comments pointing out the similarity to some Indian flatbread, and that was using the wok upside down.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm glad to hear you reconnected with your mom, and it sounds like you're being a great advocate. Health care is hard enough even when you're well informed and healthy, the extra crap of not knowing what's available while you're going through cancer treatment is awful.

dino. posted:

@BrianBoitano - I never did write it up in the book, because it's a goddamned process to make any type of Indian pickle, and one that suits better to a video. I was about to link you a few recipes, but they're Tamil, so probably not very helpful. However, this Tamil lady laid down the process of one version in English here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1mekBsusA

I've used her recipes before, and they've come out pretty well.

Thank you! What's the name of your book again? I need to find whatever folder I saved it in anyhow.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Can you elaborate on the tortilla? I found https://ladyandpups.com/2021/05/13/paper-thin-soft-chewy-sonoran-style-flour-tortilla/ which I could do with my camping skillet, and sure as poo poo am going to try. Regarding a wok though, I only saw reference in the comments pointing out the similarity to some Indian flatbread, and that was using the wok upside down.
This is something more formal than a wok on a burner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoikPDzmEY

I did find the curve of the wok gave me more surface area, and the little bit of gravity on the sides help keep it all from contracting versus if I tried to make them on a flat surface.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is yours a round bottom? I'm trying to convince myself to get a round bottom with just metal handles now...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yes I have a round wok. The downside is since I moved, the best I can do with it is perch it precariously on an old turkey fryer burner I have.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a big green egg type grill to try and do everything may be worth it for two years. Best smoker at home imo after you move.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So we got fresh as hell ginger- it’s pale with green shoots off the top- and don’t know what to do with it that’s different than grocery store ginger. Figure the rhizome would be brighter than the store bought- any idea about the tops? It’s fibrous like lemongrass and would probably enjoy an ethanol bath, but other solutions are solicited.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
That sounds like young ginger. It's less pungent than regular ginger and doesn't need to be peeled, I think a handful of Thai recipes use it raw due to its milder flavor. It'd probably be good julienned and tossed in a Thai style salad?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never peel ginger

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Never peel ginger

Wait, really? Like, don't remove the exterior? Never heard this before.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Young and fresh ginger definitely doesn't need peeling, older ginger where the skin has toughened a lot may need peeling but it's up to you really and you don't have to

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh man this poodle is delicious, what’d you put in it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Wait, really? Like, don't remove the exterior? Never heard this before.

Yeah if it’s in a cooked application and either sliced thin or grated, don’t bother peeling. The heat makes the skin unnoticeable.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BrianBoitano posted:

Thank you! What's the name of your book again? I need to find whatever folder I saved it in anyhow.
https://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/0977080420

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yeah if it’s in a cooked application and either sliced thin or grated, don’t bother peeling. The heat makes the skin unnoticeable.

Whaaaaaat?! Mind: blown.

How do we know this isn’t an evil prank?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I tried it once and instantly becsme a convert

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I get a big bunch, chop it into manageable chunks, stick it in the freezer and grate it. It’s not elegant, but it is quick. Lets me buy the big cheap roots at the asian market, too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yes I have a round wok. The downside is since I moved, the best I can do with it is perch it precariously on an old turkey fryer burner I have.

Would a butane burner work there? That's how I use my wok.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

I tried it once and instantly becsme a convert

How do I know you’re not in on the joke too?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CainFortea posted:

Would a butane burner work there? That's how I use my wok.

I was thinking about it, but I figured if I could just get burners that could take a griddle or a work, I have most of my needs set. I was aiming for something built-in since I'll probably end up throwing up another pizza oven (it'll be my third time hooray).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

How do I know you’re not in on the joke too?

The freedom of grabbing the ginger from the fridge and micro planing a little into your dish without having to peel it is a pleasure everyone should know. Try it once and you’ll see. I guarantee you won’t notice a difference in the finished product.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The freedom of grabbing the ginger from the fridge and micro planing a little into your dish without having to peel it is a pleasure everyone should know. Try it once and you’ll see. I guarantee you won’t notice a difference in the finished product.

I actually will give it a shot.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

If I am julienneing ginger, I'll peel it, if I'm grating it I don't.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I usually only thinly slice ginger or grate it, and rarely bother to peel it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just can't bear not to peel my ginger

It's a slippery slope from there to leaving the skin on kiwis

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just waste a ton of it by cutting a chunk of root into a nice square or rectangle and chopping from there.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

mystes posted:

I just can't bear not to peel my ginger

It's a slippery slope from there to leaving the skin on kiwis

Take a bite out of a kiwi like an apple, it is so very freeing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Grandicap posted:

See I knew the ginger crusters were sickos

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Grandicap posted:

It's way more environmentally friendly to source your meat locally.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Grandicap posted:

I've never peeled a kiwi; i just slice them thin and call it done.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We're talking about regular kiwis right with the brown fuzzy skin? That's absolutely unhinged

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

We're talking about regular kiwis right with the brown fuzzy skin? That's absolutely unhinged

Like sticking a 3 week old shorn scrotum in your face.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I was slowly being radicalized with the no-peel ginger talk so I'm glad everyone just went mask off and revealed their terrible secrets

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Once you go putting unshaven scrotum fruits in your mouth, you never go back

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

CainFortea posted:

Like sticking a 3 week old shorn scrotum in your face.

Is this too long for a title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hawkperson posted:

I'm glad everyone just went mask off and revealed their terrible secrets

I like eating frozen (wild, not cultivated) blueberries.