Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It could also be up to each legion's Legatus. I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Do we actually see anything above the footsoliders in this scene? Maybe the uniform is not only for practical reasons, but also to help mark conscripts with a different outfit to help emphasize the "outsiderness" of those conscripts to the rest of the army. To help that sense of alienation as a potential stick, with the accompanying carrot of ascension into Garlean society.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Twibbit posted:

I do find it fascinating that the Garlean empire will alter gear for where people are stationed, even if there is not a logistics reason for it necessarily. Like it is one thing to adjust to working in a cold, or really hot climate. Another for them to go full cosplay.

There is a thing I want to say about this, but it won't be relevant until the end of 4.0 and someone else will probably beat me to punch.

But if I remember, I will be sure and bring it up!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

AncientSpark posted:

Do we actually see anything above the footsoliders in this scene? Maybe the uniform is not only for practical reasons, but also to help mark conscripts with a different outfit to help emphasize the "outsiderness" of those conscripts to the rest of the army. To help that sense of alienation as a potential stick, with the accompanying carrot of ascension into Garlean society.

Considering we’ve already seen that the Skulls in Ala Mhigo had their own custom uniform, it seems like a pretty safe inference that that’s what the Garleans do with conscripts policing their homelands. Set them apart from both the rest of the empire’s armies and their countrymen, break the spirits of the conquered by appropriating their culture into yet another means of subjugation… It’s brutally effective at kicking people who are already down, and keeping them down.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

That said, we have seen plenty of conscripts in the "standard" uniform as well, back in Ala Mhigo and Eorzea. There's a mix of approaches. Perhaps the supply lines are simpler or something.

Oh, Eorzea does have supplies of Ceruleum. Wild guess, the Eastern variants may have lighter plating to make better use of limited imported factory fuel, where other areas we've seen have been able to produce their own and thus have sufficient stocks for the standard pattern.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

AncientSpark posted:

The most prominent character wearing the Doman uniform in these scenes is a Pilus, and therefore almost certainly a Garlean rather than Doman.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Twibbit posted:

I do find it fascinating that the Garlean empire will alter gear for where people are stationed, even if there is not a logistics reason for it necessarily. Like it is one thing to adjust to working in a cold, or really hot climate. Another for them to go full cosplay.

The armies of real life empires had different uniforms to account for strong ethic membership of units. The Royal Scotts, Irish, and Gurkha Regiments of the British Army for example have different uniforms from the rest that incorporate elements of their nation dress to this day.

You see this with the Skulls as others have mentioned. There could be a heavy Doman presence in the Legion here and the other Legions only have a shattered amount of volunteers/pressed non-Garlean members.

Empires also just love extravagant uniforms. Some quartermaster probably looked at the map.

Said, "these units are permanently in Doma. I'm going to give them some uniforms with a local favor. It's going to look great when they march through on parade with the rest. The people will pop when see something so exotic. The Emperor will love it."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

That quartermaster’s name? Hugossius Bossius

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yanxia - 延夏 - Yan Xia - Prolonged summer

I have my own personal minor beef with Yanxia in that it's aesthetically Chinese but it has Japanese names and samurai and ninjas. Like, c'mon.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Honestly that feels more like a Western game developer move. "I dunno, put some Asian stuff in there."

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I mean if you can't mix up different cultural influences and aesthetics to make a cool zone in a fictional fantasy game world, where can you?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
But I mean… there is also a very…. complicated history between Japan and China where Japan rarely comes out looking anything close to the “good guys.” So to have “this land looks like China but we’re using Japanese names” can be a little 😬

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm just going to say this now because people have accused me of this position before: I am NOT saying that Yoship or anyone on the FFXIV dev team is a Rising Sun flag-waving Japanese fascist. I am NOT saying that everyone else who is of Chinese descent agrees with me or has to agree with me. It's just my own personal beef with Doma. What I AM saying is that the dev team probably didn't have someone on the team to look at their innocent decision to have a bit of a mashup culture and see that it was a bit iffy on the cultural side of things.

Also I just think that Fei Yan is a cooler name than Hien.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 5, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schwartzcough posted:

Honestly that feels more like a Western game developer move. "I dunno, put some Asian stuff in there."

Guild Wars was made by a Korean developer and made a 'mash all of East Asia together into one continent' expansion. Internal company backlash was so severe that in Guild Wars 2 they originally made a district in the human capital for that region but decided that Cantha was so racist that they replaced the Canthan district with a literal hole in the ground.

When they eventually did add Cantha to Guild Wars 2, they streamlined the region to be very emphatically fantasy Korea, with all the overt Chinese, Japanese, Polynesian, and other influences scrubbed.

Asian developers can be just as insensitive as Western developers when it comes to depicting fantasy cultures and lands based on real-world Asian cultures and lands.

As it happens, I've also heard from Chinese FF14 players that the whole 'conquered by a technologically advanced foreign empire and crushed under heel' thing for Doma resonates heavily with Chinese cultural experiences in the 20th century.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cythereal posted:

Guild Wars was made by a Korean developer

Arenanet isn't Korean, they're American. Their owners and GW's publisher NCSoft is Korean but it's not the same thing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cantha still looks pretty drat Chinese in GW2, so I'm not sure if China with Korean names painted over the top is any better than China with Japanese names painted over the top.

And yeah, ArenaNet are American anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Argas posted:

Arenanet isn't Korean, they're American. Their owners and GW's publisher NCSoft is Korean but it's not the same thing.

Ah, my mistake. I thought Anet was mainly Korean as well.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

To me, the weirdest thing is that Doma was 100% fantasy Japan until the expansion where you actually go there, where it's revealed that there's a different fantasy-Japan that is a completely separate place, and Doma is actually fantasy-China.

It's like ALL Chinese aesthetics and geography and whatnot, except it also has samurai and ninja because those were introduced before they created Hingashi.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I agree with Ibblebibble that Yanxia is mildly irritating for the same reasons. Even the architecture directly references some very distinct very specifically minority Chinese buildings except they're full of samurais and shinobus I guess :shrug:

And yeah, it's not like the devs did this purposefully or with some nefarious intent, it just really runs against one of my personal hang ups lol

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 5, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Begemot posted:

To me, the weirdest thing is that Doma was 100% fantasy Japan until the expansion where you actually go there, where it's revealed that there's a different fantasy-Japan that is a completely separate place, and Doma is actually fantasy-China.

It's like ALL Chinese aesthetics and geography and whatnot, except it also has samurai and ninja because those were introduced before they created Hingashi.

i wonder if this is one of the last hiccups between the vague sketch of the story that they had in 2.x, compared to the clearly-defined lore and story trajectory that solidified around 3.2, that they just couldn't fix. doma was established as the home of samurai and ninjas and everyone has a japanese name, but also it's conquered by garlemald, but also now that we're introducing samurai we need a premise for its job quests that isn't super intimately tied to the MSQ and a non-ruined city to be the far eastern market board hub... and then this

more discourse to be had on it come samurai and ninja job quests too

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mister Olympus posted:

i wonder if this is one of the last hiccups between the vague sketch of the story that they had in 2.x, compared to the clearly-defined lore and story trajectory that solidified around 3.2, that they just couldn't fix. doma was established as the home of samurai and ninjas and everyone has a japanese name, but also it's conquered by garlemald, but also now that we're introducing samurai we need a premise for its job quests that isn't super intimately tied to the MSQ and a non-ruined city to be the far eastern market board hub... and then this

more discourse to be had on it come samurai and ninja job quests too

In retrospect they should have made fantasy Polynesia and left Doma the sole not-Japan.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Fun Lorebook Fact: fantasy polynesia does exist in xiv, it's the lalafell homelands and one imagines we'll get there eventually

just like roes are called out as coming from fantasy scandinavia, but we still haven't quite reached it

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 5, 2022

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
FF has a history of not taking the real world divides too seriously with regards to cultural inspirations (Wutai in FF7 comes to mind).

In my experience, cultural issues across Asian divides in Asian media tend to be overlooked unless you get too close to mirroring real-life effects or the political statement is seemingly blatant. They tend to be a lot more 0 or 100 about the whole thing vs Western perceptions of similar issues where they tend to notice the more subtle aspects about it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Considering just how awful the imperialism of Garlemald is portrayed in this expansion than anything that came before, I kind of do legitimately wonder if there was an actual, particular authorial intent to convey a message about reckoning with just how terrible Imperial Japan was to it’s conquered territories, instead of just a catch-all for all empires throughout human history.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

But it’ll take more than clothes to pull this one off! These are wounded and suspicious people, and to get them to drop their guard will take a portion of Kheris’ cunning. NO! All her cunning…

“Salutations from Ishgard, my fine Old Girl! Where might I find your most expensive local frivolities? As you can see, I am a noblewoman and thus lavishly wealthy, and I need to buy things to avoid confronting the crushing void of meaning that is my life of privilege! Also, I will happily purchase any large chunks of salt you have on hand! My many attractive-but-empty-headed peers will surely come to bed with me if I bring such an exotic foreign treat for us all to lick together during dinner, and the orgy will give me an excellent excuse to sleep in past noon!”

Brilliant! Why didn't my WoL think of that..

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pointed ears, alpine coat, obsession with salt, it all checks out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean the really weird thing about Yanxia is if you use the English VA almost everyone talks with these very strong British accents. It's like watching a dubbed Shaw Bros. movie sometimes.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This conversation is kind of amusing to me because I've been pondering a lot of these exact lines of thought for weeks. Like I mentioned:

Sanguinia posted:

I will [address the topic of Yanxia/Doma being this unexpected Japan/China hybrid instead of the presumed Fantasy Japan]. But not for a while yet. There are some things I want to see and still some thinking for me to do on the puzzle pieces I've gathered before I'll feel ready to discuss it.

Its good to know that I've been thinking along the right lines of inquiry based on everyone's comments, at least. Should be some interesting discussion when I get there..

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Doma is pretty funny, because it IS Japan with a whole lot of China influences, which was absolutely a Japan. That makes it your third Japan that you've visited so far in Othard. Hingashi is Edo Period Japan, Sui-no-Sato is Heian Period Japan, and Doma is Nara Period Japan. Every zone has had a different Japan. Stormblood: Whoops, All Japans!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

Doma is pretty funny, because it IS Japan with a whole lot of China influences, which was absolutely a Japan. That makes it your third Japan that you've visited so far in Othard. Hingashi is Edo Period Japan, Sui-no-Sato is Heian Period Japan, and Doma is Nara Period Japan. Every zone has had a different Japan. Stormblood: Whoops, All Japans!

Except for also Mongolia

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I agree that this weird China-Japan thing that Doma is is, well, weird, but I choose to blame it entirely on Kugane's existence, because I hate Kugane.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the really weird thing about Yanxia is if you use the English VA almost everyone talks with these very strong British accents. It's like watching a dubbed Shaw Bros. movie sometimes.

I mean, this probably has more to do with FFXIV using British voice actors in general, rather than the usual pool of American anime VAs.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except for also Mongolia

Well they certainly tried

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My pet theory is that they established Doma as fantasy Japan in 2.xx, but then realized that they really wanted to depict a fantasy Edo because that's basically a guilty pleasure when Stormblood was in the works. So they invent Hingashi, section it off with a sakoku degree, then run back to Doma and call it the aristocrats occupation of Doma by the cowardly Garlean Empire. They get to have their Doma and their fantasy Edo at the same time.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Regalingualius posted:

Considering just how awful the imperialism of Garlemald is portrayed in this expansion than anything that came before, I kind of do legitimately wonder if there was an actual, particular authorial intent to convey a message about reckoning with just how terrible Imperial Japan was to it’s conquered territories, instead of just a catch-all for all empires throughout human history.

I do wonder, since some of the aspects of how Garlemald is written seem to draw specifically from the history of Japan. I just don't have enough knowledge myself to really go deeper than "huh that seems familiar". StB is very much the deep dive on Imperialism Bad expansion, though, so them going for close to home imperial atrocity wouldn't surprise me at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, let's not forget that one cash shop outfit debacle. If I remember the drama right, it was another schoolgirl uniform - based on what the Japanese occupation government of Korea during WW2 made children wear.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cythereal posted:

Also, let's not forget that one cash shop outfit debacle. If I remember the drama right, it was another schoolgirl uniform - based on what the Japanese occupation government of Korea during WW2 made children wear.

Not even a schoolgirl, it was both male and female. Granted that's usually because in Japan it's just an old era uniform but for the rest of Asia it represents that. SMT3 HD had a similar issue where in parts of Asia they removed the Raidou Kuzunoha content because he's wearing that style.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ehhhhh, Doman architecture doesn't look very Nara period to me. Feels more Tang dynasty.

Cythereal posted:

The uniform by itself was perfectly normal in Japan, it was the standard school uniform for the era for Japanese students too. It takes on a different context in Korea where it was forced onto Korean children as part of the cultural genocide attempt by Imperial Japan, which is where the controversy comes from.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Specifically it was based on the school uniforms Japan used itself during that time period, which yeah has baggage in Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Garlemald borrows aesthetics from a variety of totalitarian empires, but I think a case can be made that its biggest influence is Imperial Japan