Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can someone help me with my stupid thoughts

I keep thinking shielded spears are a better all round option than halberds because they block at least SOME ranged while still performing pretty well as line holders

Change my mind
In theory and based on general trends, units with a two handed weapon typically have a bit less melee defense but higher melee attack and damage. So spear infantry will do a bit more dps than shielded spears. Shielded units tend to have a bit less melee attack and damage but better melee defense and shield block.

In addition, halberds (compared to great weapons) don't have as good armor piercing and typically the game will describe a unit as "armor piercing" if over 50% of its damage pierces armor. But there's still a lot of variation to that; polearm men at Arms probably have far less armor piercing damage than many non armor piercing units. They're still decent for what they do, countering armored cavalry though I find the weapon more useful on cavalry units for intercepting enemy cavalry/chariots as they will be fast enough to actually use them consistently vs passively waiting for something to slam into them. Also note that Tomb Kings and Cathay have halberd units which are also shielded, so best of both words I guess.

Back in II the SFO overhaul mod I believe had a much more stark difference in stats between spear, spear+shield, and halberd units which was nice as it gave them all distinct roles vs just picking the best ones you can afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Someone help me with my TW2 campaign, I am bad at this game.

Started a game on Hard that wasn't dwarfs, as the White Lizard guy who gets Kroak, doing Vortex campaign finally. I think it hosed it all up already.

I took my starting province, took an opportunity to confed the guy to the south as he was losing a fight for two regions, then used the momentum to wipe out every rat on the continent except one, doing a small loop downwards before coming back up for a mission objective, 'capture Altar of the Rat God' which was a tablet place. Maybe I took too long, I felt it was rather quick? I left the bottom provinces to their insurrection fate and let Dark Elves & dwarfs fight over it (dawi winning), as I was already stretched thin in a hellwar with the last skaven clan, who had 6 settlements most of which where on the sea. So hit peace with him, took stock of my situation, and I"m 100% sure I'm hosed.

Captial province has like 12 Vampire corruption, since the geography is GREAT and it technically touches two other provinces and so the Awakened (who I have yet to meet) are ruining me desipite them having no army. I spent pretty much all my early turns trying to get money+walls in minor settlements (from prior experience as Mazamundi before I got disgusted at Vortex). I'm very far behind on tablets, and basically need to keep a stack around as the tablet settlement is constantly being threatened by pirates and insurrections (and soon skaven, once they backstab). I've managed my sight lines well and so I don't really have rando empires wardec-ing me, but my economy is in shambles and I'm still running around with nothing but Saurus and it takes *forever* to walk anywhere, so I feel pinned (you'd think the lizards wouldn't be the worst in the continent at walking through their own jungles.) There's also a beastman heard running around nearby out of sight.

Should I just restart and head northwards asap to hit the human expedition, whose tablet settlement isn't a loving trap? Could let met cycle east and get rid of that loving VAMPIRE CORRUPTION in a reasonable timeframe, and just let the skaven play with each other? I'm also sure I botched the building progression, as I'm hitting tier5 but have no money for any unit production facilities, all I wanted was Temple Guard but I can't even afford that, lol.

edit: Turn 56, christ.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 5, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Back in II the SFO overhaul mod I believe had a much more stark difference in stats between spear, spear+shield, and halberd units which was nice as it gave them all distinct roles vs just picking the best ones you can afford.

Yeah they had it so that spears alone had like +20 vs large or something, spear and shield had a fair bit less but more overall defense, and halberds about on par with spear and shield but AP based and with the cavalry bane contact effect that slows unit acceleration making them very good at binding up enemy cav or SEMs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

RoyalScion posted:

Kind of want to try a Katarin campaign in IE even though it looks like a raging dumpster fire

Rats in the hellpit, Norsca in your starting region, Azhag to your east, vampire counts and angry trees to your south, festus to your west, and then undoubtedly Archaon and/or Azazel coming in from the north later.

Kislev's economy is dogwater too :shepface:
I'm working on a campaign now. I'd say it is one of the harder starts because now your primary theater is squashed in and you are under constant pressure from chaos, moulder, Norsca,and chaos incursions.

The compressed territories also screws you over in a unique way-their -enemy movement commandment and blizzard rite are less effective when enemies need less turns in your territory.

I did notice they buffed many research techs which is a small help; existing techs have additional recruit capacity, veterancy, etc. My previous strategies more or less still work with Kislev: Run primarily Kossar exclusive armies and sit in ambush stance in forests to gank enemy armies trying to recapture their settlements. Do this until your economy stabilizes. More than their economy buildings, their minor settlement wall buildings are more expensive for no goddamn reason. Boris is probably good for offsetting this though I haven't tried him with his new start yet. Kostaltyn looks even more painful with how harder everything is in that region (does he start in Erengrad? That would at least be a step up). I picked Katarina who probably has the best starting area of the 3 LLs, good lord and campaign skills and her magic is great synergy for the armies ranged heavy play style. In addition to having Kislev, Praag is very close by and you can nab it early on if you're quick.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

So this is the weirdest campaign I remember playing. Now the Dwarfs are my vassals. I guess I'm going to do the Empire-thing and help them fight off the Greenskins.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I know they've made the earlier battles in general a bit stronger but I kind of laughed a bit when I saw Katarin's starting enemy force has a mammoth and ice trolls.

Apparently they have another mammoth too in another army.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 5, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can someone help me with my stupid thoughts

I keep thinking shielded spears are a better all round option than halberds because they block at least SOME ranged while still performing pretty well as line holders

Change my mind

If all you want them to do is hold in place, shield-spears will perform slightly worse in melee since they won't kill back like halberdiers will, but they have the same armor so the shields will make a difference with ranged damage.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dramicus posted:

So this is the weirdest campaign I remember playing. Now the Dwarfs are my vassals. I guess I'm going to do the Empire-thing and help them fight off the Greenskins.
The contrast versus WH1 Mannfred having to sprint down and wreck Thorgrim before he could confederate all the dorfs is spectacular. I ended up vassalizing Grimgor after he got sick of his own 200-turn hell war.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What should I be doing as N'Kari? I killed Chrace and Avelorn just goes nuts on Saphery. It seems like your cults take way too many resources to setup early on. Do I just go after Cothique? I hit a wall with Eltharion and it just feels like my replenishment is terrible. Just feels awful to play this faction after Belakor or Archaon.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

JBP posted:

Some empire peon drinking ale in a now haunted tavern, "hey, at least it isn't that loser Mannfred"

Giving up some literal blood might actually be easier to handle then the metaphorical blood demanded by the regular aristocracy as turns out.

Whats Settra's anti-Khorne and especially anti-Skarbrand play? Spears and big stony bows?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Caidin posted:

Giving up some literal blood might actually be easier to handle then the metaphorical blood demanded by the regular aristocracy as turns out.

It's the entire joke with hams vamps: one of them is a blood-sucking monster who will drain your life until you're in the ground and bury your descendants under the crippling weight of their tyranny forever, and the other is a vampire.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Playing Ghorst feels like commanding the zombies from RE2 or something. Slow, not a huge threat, but there's just so many.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

and the other is a vampire.

Who has a vested interest in you living because they need more blood on a recurring basis.

It's one thing I love about Warhammer Undead is that with both the Vampire Counts and the Tomb Kings, while being spooky, are technically not bad overlords. They don't ask for their taxes in money, and also don't require you to serve in their armies. Well not while you're alive at least.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

And.... now I'm on friendly terms with Cathay. The gently caress???

Hell, if I can roll 4 Crane Gunners with my zombros I won't complain!!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Playing Ghorst feels like commanding the zombies from RE2 or something. Slow, not a huge threat, but there's just so many.

I have a few elite armies but I can raise literal armies of the dead on a single turn to combat any flanks. He's basically unstoppable and I'm still earning like 40-50k a turn so I can build up every province I capture.
I'm currently in a battle to defeat the Orcs once and for all but they've built a stronghold in Bretonnia and I have to defend constant chaos incursions to mount an effective push. Singlehandedly holding back the tide and the world loves me for it.

Pro tier move now is just recruiting max level necromancers in every army so I can drop zombies non stop into fights to fatigue out and distract elite units.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And.... now I'm on friendly terms with Cathay. The gently caress???

Hell, if I can roll 4 Crane Gunners with my zombros I won't complain!!

Yeah, Cathay doesn't seem to mind Vampires much. I think it makes sense too because technically they are doing almost exactly the same thing. In Cathay you have a dragon overlord class ruling over humans. Vampire counts are not all that different in a general sense.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
magic missiles seem even weaker than before. they were never great, but you could line up a mobile caster to shoot down a line and net a couple dozen kills a cast. now it just seems to kill one or two guys a spell

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Caidin posted:

Whats Settra's anti-Khorne and especially anti-Skarbrand play? Spears and big stony bows?

Net of Amyntok, shoot him to pieces for Skarbrand himself. The rest, same poo poo you always do really. Bump and grind with Tomb Guard and have chariots/golems/etc do the hammering.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

RoyalScion posted:

Kind of want to try a Katarin campaign in IE even though it looks like a raging dumpster fire

Rats in the hellpit, Norsca in your starting region, Azhag to your east, vampire counts and angry trees to your south, festus to your west, and then undoubtedly Archaon and/or Azazel coming in from the north later.

Kislev's economy is dogwater too :shepface:

Just did a few rounds of this. Murder azhag fast for an income boost. You may not get a chance to confederate any other LL without some tricks.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Serephina posted:

Started a game on Hard that wasn't dwarfs, as the White Lizard guy who gets Kroak, doing Vortex campaign finally. I think it hosed it all up already.

I took my starting province, took an opportunity to confed the guy to the south as he was losing a fight for two regions, then used the momentum to wipe out every rat on the continent except one, doing a small loop downwards before coming back up for a mission objective, 'capture Altar of the Rat God' which was a tablet place. Maybe I took too long, I felt it was rather quick? I left the bottom provinces to their insurrection fate and let Dark Elves & dwarfs fight over it (dawi winning), as I was already stretched thin in a hellwar with the last skaven clan, who had 6 settlements most of which where on the sea. So hit peace with him, took stock of my situation, and I"m 100% sure I'm hosed.

Captial province has like 12 Vampire corruption, since the geography is GREAT and it technically touches two other provinces and so the Awakened (who I have yet to meet) are ruining me desipite them having no army. I spent pretty much all my early turns trying to get money+walls in minor settlements (from prior experience as Mazamundi before I got disgusted at Vortex). I'm very far behind on tablets, and basically need to keep a stack around as the tablet settlement is constantly being threatened by pirates and insurrections (and soon skaven, once they backstab). I've managed my sight lines well and so I don't really have rando empires wardec-ing me, but my economy is in shambles and I'm still running around with nothing but Saurus and it takes *forever* to walk anywhere, so I feel pinned (you'd think the lizards wouldn't be the worst in the continent at walking through their own jungles.) There's also a beastman heard running around nearby out of sight.

Should I just restart and head northwards asap to hit the human expedition, whose tablet settlement isn't a loving trap? Could let met cycle east and get rid of that loving VAMPIRE CORRUPTION in a reasonable timeframe, and just let the skaven play with each other? I'm also sure I botched the building progression, as I'm hitting tier5 but have no money for any unit production facilities, all I wanted was Temple Guard but I can't even afford that, lol.

No, the tablet poo poo doesn't matter. Stop caring if your opening was perfect. It will take you less than 10 turns to fix your corruption and economy.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

magic missiles seem even weaker than before. they were never great, but you could line up a mobile caster to shoot down a line and net a couple dozen kills a cast. now it just seems to kill one or two guys a spell

Every time I get that stupid-rear end item that gives you bound fireball and have nothing else to equip, I foolishly put it on, knowing full well that I will occasionally try to use it and regret the time spend doing so. Especially when you end up needing to try like 4 times to actually get it to cast. gently caress all magic missiles.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Playing as Ghorst, it's gotten real weird. I'm in a hell war with Grimgor, Archaon, and Khalida, which means Zhao Ming, Thorgrim, Katarin, and Karl all loving love me... meanwhile I'm just trying to drown the world in zombies. The Black Pyramid just popped on turn 124, so that's going to be interesting.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Serephina posted:

Don’t worry about tablets. If someone beats you in the tablet race you don’t lose, you get a mission to kick their face in and stop them winning.

For pirates that are worrying your settlements, if you mean the factions with the blue and black flags that move last in the turn order you don’t need to worry about them; they don’t attack settlements only armies.

For backstabs and needing protection against surprise threats, rather than just leaving a defensive army say there I would either use that army to take out the threats you’re facing or not bother with a defensive army and in a pinch instead recruit a lord and assign him some ogre mercs and regiments of renown that you can pull together in a single turn.

For corruption, how to deal with it depends on how you are set-up.

1) As this seems to be happening in one of your most developed settlements (tier 5?) the corruption may not be enough to get you into -100 public order in which case who cares? Alternatively it could do so but take so long the effect will be negligible.

2) You mentioned about walling your settlements, so if they’re all walled then insurrections don’t matter too much. Either the AI will assault in which case the walls should give you a good enough advantage to win or it will siege you down which will give you a bunch or turns before they do anything so you can come rescue it.

3) If your settlements aren’t walled then you’ll probably lose your minor settlements but that’s fine and you can just capture them back when an army works it’s way up there.

It sounds like you’re doing well and a couple of threats away from consolidating your position very nicely. Don’t give up!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It's fun how much diplomatic goodwill kicking the poo poo out of some chaos and orcs gets you. My Vlad campaign turned into Vlad: Hero of the Empire. With every order aligned faction being my friend.
As is usual with Total War games, you have to make up your own victory conditions though. I'm looking at that "Destroy Riekland" condition and wondering why I would want to do that? Franz & Vlad have been best buddies over the last 150'ish turns.

The outpost system is cool and allows for fun roleplaying. Like importing some canons from Cathay. Or get some Ice Guard in the armies that are helping protect Kislev. It's kind of funny that this is basically the same system modders made for Rome1 mods.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm playing as Cathay and I have panda riders and terracotta soldier armies :shobon:

Thanks, mods

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
and of course, the most important mod:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The Ghorst all-zombie meme experience is fun in the early and mid game, but hot drat does it become a slog when you continue past the short campaign. As I was nearing long campaign victory (turn 150ish) I had 25 stacks of zombies. Turns were taking forever when you have to fight most battles manually, as the greatness of turbo-zombies doesn't really hold in autoresolve against late-game stacks. Overall fun campaign, but wouldn't do it again.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
So do some factions have the ability to make whole settlements and their armies invisible on the world map or did my game just bug out?

Also what's up with ranged units that are on a hill with skirmish toggled off running into armies downhill instead of just shooting them?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Self-hating Vampire prays to Nurgle for a cure, gets death. It checks out.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Imaginary Friend posted:

So do some factions have the ability to make whole settlements and their armies invisible on the world map or did my game just bug out?

Also what's up with ranged units that are on a hill with skirmish toggled off running into armies downhill instead of just shooting them?

Yes, anyone can enter ambush stance which hides them if successful, underways movement also basically teleports people so it can be confused for armies going 'poof'. Skaven in particular have their settlements hidden/listed as ruins until you walk into them, which includes the stack garrisoned there.

For the ranged units, they either ran out of ammo, where trying to walk forwards to get into firing range, or more likely you accidentally set them into force melee, via button on the command list or by fat-fingering it's hotkey F.

Sorry if you already know all this.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

For the ranged units, they either ran out of ammo, where trying to walk forwards to get into firing range, or more likely you accidentally set them into force melee, via button on the command list or by fat-fingering it's hotkey F.

Ranged units with guns can also have a lot of line-of-sight issues. If you have the camera up high, it's very easy to not notice that a slope, or the edge of a hill is obstructing their firing arc.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 5, 2022

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Third World Reagan posted:

Just did a few rounds of this. Murder azhag fast for an income boost. You may not get a chance to confederate any other LL without some tricks.

I'm on my third attempt at Katarin IE and it is ZESTY. I tried this on my second try and it worked okay -- sure, as I finished him off my home provinces were in grave danger from Drycha's emo rear end and the Noscan Party Boys but now that I had my bankroll secured I can run back over and reconsolidate, so no problem!

Right?

What's that, dwarves who merrily sat on your asses and sucked each other's beards while I murdered your ancestral enemy, the orc? You're declaring war on me? You're retaking all 3 of that provinces' settlements the second I step away? Understandable, have a great day.

This poo poo is going to give me night terrors.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

RoyalScion posted:

I know they've made the earlier battles in general a bit stronger but I kind of laughed a bit when I saw Katarin's starting enemy force has a mammoth and ice trolls.

Don't forget the trolls too! You can peel off some of the units with your ice kitty and paper mache winged lancers, but your kossars are going to have a bad time if you fight that in the field. I found that skipping that first fight and going straight for the settlement in range is the best option.

I imagine her campaign will be tuned up in the October patch - having Norscan cultural settlements in the Southern Oblast has to be a mistake.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinatrapod posted:

What's that, dwarves who merrily sat on your asses and sucked each other's beards while I murdered your ancestral enemy, the orc? You're declaring war on me? You're retaking all 3 of that provinces' settlements the second I step away? Understandable, have a great day.

I feel like if you do go up and take Azhag's mountain settlements like that you might just as well sell them to said Dwarf faction (before they declare war of course) in return for an alliance. Feels like they would be too much of a bother trying to defend in addition to Kislev itself. Also possibly nets you some Dwarf artillery if that's your fancy.

RoyalScion posted:

Probably shouldn't wait to deal with that army. "Starting battle" AI army is always destroyed, but I don't know if this is the case past the first turn. I think that army looks scarier than it actually is, you use ice sheet to slow down the mammoth and/or trolls then hit them focus fire, they have low armor and low leadership, you should be able to break them relatively easy, then if you can spare them, lancers or kitty can purse and possibly escort them off the field.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 5, 2022

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How many units roughly do you guys have in your core front-line and ranged block? I was going for 6 frontline infantry and about the same for my ranged, but I'm starting to think that after 2-3 Artillery this isn't leaving me with enough spots for other useful units and I get flanked a lot. Is 3-4 ranged units a decent amount?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 5, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Francis posted:

Kislev has no non-generic bonuses to war income, so saying they get money for fighting is pretty meaningless. You might as well point out how much army you can get with your 3000 base income.

So yeah. Their economy is, in fact, bad.

It was a joke about my first experience with Kislev and how the sheer scale of constant slaughter was keeping my economy going. Like as a settled faction I have never ran a serious negative income but with Kislev I did.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Currently hellwaring with Count Noctilus as N'kari over who will rule the High Elves, after splitting the donut in halv between us. All original High Elf factions starting on Ulthuan is dead, except for Saphery who I am keeping around as a pet, though I might uhm forcefully integrate them later if only to get a nice, pink Ulthuan on the map. Going to have to backstab two allied dark elf factions as well, since they hold the Shrine of Khaine and the capital of that province between them for the same reason as I am thinking about murdering Saphery.

Next up after that is heading over to save Morathi from all her neighbours, since I vassalized her quite early and I would like to have her stick around. Might get a fourth stack as well to reinforce my Chaos Lord holding off Moussilon, getting tired of having to punt the red dukes rear end back into the sea all the time. After playing both I still prefer the demons over the warriors, I just like conquering stuff and painting the map too much I guess :shobon:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pierson posted:

How many units roughly do you guys have in your core front-line and ranged block? I was going for 6 frontline infantry and about the same for my ranged, but I'm starting to think that after 2-3 Artillery this isn't leaving me with enough spots for other useful units and I get flanked a lot. Is 3-4 ranged units a decent amount?

Depends on who you are and who you're fighting. Versus Brettonia, I'd bring more spears and fewer ranged as they will crush your flanks, but against Dwarves I'd bring AP ranged and artillery and pincushion their slow asses. Playing as any Elf or Tzeentch I'd want more than 6 ranged for sure, but playing as Lizards you only need like 2 chameleon skinks alongside your stegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

6/6/4/2 is my super rough rule of thumb for melee/ranged/cav/artillery with 2 left over for the lord and a hero. This is obviously incredibly flexible based on faction strength and who I am fighting. First thing I'll tend to drop is melee infantry for another hero or good artillery.

My late game empire armies typically only have 4 ranged infantry because they are gunpowder and so finding ways to get them into constant firing is a lot harder than something like Shades or Sisters of Avelorn who can fire wherever, so more guns don't help me there, but I have more artillery and heroes. Sometimes more cavalry too.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 5, 2022