Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Luggage posted:

I wish there was another way to get your hands on Glyphs for infinite gathering tools other than drop luck from BLCs or buying them at horrendous prices from the TP.
I don't mind G.o.Volatility only paying for itself after 28k+ strikes and G.o.Watchknight after 20k+ strikes, but the upfront cost of (at the time of writing) 650 gold (i.e. $ 40+) for three is intimidating for someone without thousands of hours in the game.

That being said, can someone recommend a cheaper glyph (up to 50ish gold) they found useful for specific ingame farming goals other than "additional gold per strike"? Right now I am eyeing Timekeeper and Scavenger.

Yeah this is kind of annoying. I bought the 'molten' infinite tools years ago and I guess they aren't one that get a glyph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Xerol posted:

This isn't what I'm doing though, I'm just pressing the regular mount/dismount key and able to hop off whenever. Gravity immediately takes over unless I hit the glider.

bagrada posted:

Oh - this says you can only dismount while in the air if you have either midair rescue mastery unlocked, griffon or skyscale:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dismount

So it used to be you couldn't use the regular mount/dismount key in the air to get off the skyscale (and I think Griffon?) Which made the skyscale slightly annoying to fly down to ground level with since it was so slow.

Apparently they fixed that a few months ago and you can now use the dismount key in the air. The special ability is its own separate thing. It looks like the wiki hasn't updated to account for being able to dismount in the air, hence the confusion.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah this is kind of annoying. I bought the 'molten' infinite tools years ago and I guess they aren't one that get a glyph.

Same, molten was the very first infinite pickaxe introduced and got it, now I feel a bit stuck because glyphs on the market are very expensive and I can't cheaply or easily just buy say, a volatile sickle, I got to buy the entire infinite set.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

is there really no reward for that character adventure guide stuff? not complaining as its one less thing to worry about, but that's kinda surprising

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just a bunch of XP I think.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

CODChimera posted:

is there really no reward for that character adventure guide stuff? not complaining as its one less thing to worry about, but that's kinda surprising
There is: massive amounts of extra XP. Every achievement you finish get's you extra XP.
Volume 1 gets you 18% extra per achievement, i.e. 1 bonus level every 6 achievements or 3 extra for all achievements.
Volumes 2-5 gets you 50% extra per achievement., i.e. 30-35 levels all summed up.
So if you focus on it, you gain half your levels to 80 just from that achievement category.

(Numbers based on the Wiki, but matching my experience with leveling several Revenant 1-25 over the last few weeks to unlock all Mistward collections.)

Luggage fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 3, 2022

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

So I just hot 80 on my Mesmer I'm still working on finishing my story but this is where i kinda floundered when the game first came out what do I do now? I know there is the living stories and the expos but other then that what should I be doing to gear up?

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
First: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Tanetris/So_You_Want_To_Gear_a_Character (this is super wordy but has a lot of good reference so you can just skim it if you need to get certain points.)

For the ye modern GW2, now I would recommend gear and hero points (train, running through maps for EOD), maybe hitting up some fractals for them sweet sweet mastery points, and picking up a expansion you have access to so you have some story, some mastery points, and some unlocks to crack through. In your specific case, I'd look at just one, and maybe pick between POF and EOD if HoT is frustrating. Mounts are probably the most fun, so maybe go for POF.

Gear can be crafted, or purchased with a large variety of currencies, including open world in Verdant Brink (HoT), strikes (EOD and LS5's strikes), or simply bought from the market board, which is entirely the easiest way to go. Get named exos if you're going for berserker's. Accessories can come from fractals, crafting, or LS 3/4 for stat selectable ascended bits. Figure out what content path sounds most fun to do, do it.

After you have gear sourcing figured, maybe picked an expac, try some daily routine stuff, or figure out if you want to focus on finishing stories and masteries, or a blend of both.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I've had my Bladesworn living in Dragon's End for 2 weeks now with the same 10 stacks of Dragon's End Contributor and I am convinced he will never get to leave the zone. I've seen Soo-Won once and it timed out because there weren't enough people breaking defiance

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Mohawk Potato posted:

So I just hot 80 on my Mesmer I'm still working on finishing my story but this is where i kinda floundered when the game first came out what do I do now? I know there is the living stories and the expos but other then that what should I be doing to gear up?

While you finish your story and before dive into different content, get yourself a set of Exotic gear with Berserker stats from the TP. Don't search for "Berserker" but rather set filters to: level 80-80; attributes: power (this should be the highest value), precision, ferocity; quality: exotic. Get the cheapest items, the are identical in stats, only differ in looks. The armor you want is called Zhed's. The weapons you want are a greatsword, a sword and a pistol as an offhand. A focus as a second offhand if you liked that during leveling. If you can't afford all gear slots right away, get weapons first, then armor, then trinkets (sorted by greatest bang for your buck upgradewise).

As you explore different types of content and stumbled across sources with certain builds and gear sets you may want to try, these two videos are the most up to date regarding getting gear with specific stats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdmJXIUgbGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7GzKAzRZsI

Luggage fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 4, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phoix posted:

I've had my Bladesworn living in Dragon's End for 2 weeks now with the same 10 stacks of Dragon's End Contributor and I am convinced he will never get to leave the zone. I've seen Soo-Won once and it timed out because there weren't enough people breaking defiance

Have you tried just keeping an eye on LFG after it's entered the preparation phase but before the battle phase on /wiki et? you should kinda consistently win the meta if you join a active group that sorts people into alac/quickness subgroups, if you just try and force it with rando's who don't know what their doing you'll always fail.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 4, 2022

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Phoix posted:

Dragon's End groups form up to an hour before the meta starts, but often around 30 minutes before, because commanders want to try and get as many people doing the meta onto the map as possible.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugh man I kinda burned myself out trying to bypass a bunch of poo poo and get a skyscale; now that I'm at the point post story where I can even start to do the achievements to get it, I'm realizing how much of a goddamn undertaking it is to do all of these achievements. I think there's some things I'd need to complete these that I don't have anyway, I should probably go back to just playing through this story in order and forget about the skyscale for the time being.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alright so I've decided I am going to probably go spectre (per trhe great post in this thread) with my new thief but I saw this pistol deadeye build which grabbed my attention this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehPvGmmajw.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAoiVlFwgYUsOmJOuOqvKA-zxIY1ojvQKoCKLE6IBE+AEue41AipNA-e
It's a deadeye pistol/sword condition spec which uses celestial armor that seems pretty effective.

I'm thinking I may be able to do both specs with similar gear?

For now I've just been wallowing around as core spec while getting hero points and using siege weapons to contribute in WvW.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That deadeye build is great but very annoying to play (for me at least) because of how Shadow Strike works.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Luggage posted:

There is: massive amounts of extra XP. Every achievement you finish get's you extra XP.
Volume 1 gets you 18% extra per achievement, i.e. 1 bonus level every 6 achievements or 3 extra for all achievements.
Volumes 2-5 gets you 50% extra per achievement., i.e. 30-35 levels all summed up.
So if you focus on it, you gain half your levels to 80 just from that achievement category.

(Numbers based on the Wiki, but matching my experience with leveling several Revenant 1-25 over the last few weeks to unlock all Mistward collections.)

It turns out to be more than that because volumes 3 and up have a lot of achievements with 3 tiers and each tier gives the XP award. On my testing character I'm in the mid-70s while only being halfway through volume 4, and the only other XP I've got is from map exploration (including completing queensdale and hirathi hinterlands, plus any waypoints needed for story) and doing personal story through the end of the level 60 instances (granted this is worth about 15 levels so far by itself).

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
And yet, one of the rewards from.Chest of Loyalty is 6 Tomes of Experience. :dafuq:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright so I've decided I am going to probably go spectre (per trhe great post in this thread) with my new thief but I saw this pistol deadeye build which grabbed my attention this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehPvGmmajw.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAoiVlFwgYUsOmJOuOqvKA-zxIY1ojvQKoCKLE6IBE+AEue41AipNA-e
It's a deadeye pistol/sword condition spec which uses celestial armor that seems pretty effective.

I'm thinking I may be able to do both specs with similar gear?

For now I've just been wallowing around as core spec while getting hero points and using siege weapons to contribute in WvW.

weird, I just watched that video after looking up legendary weapon skins.

i've been using celestial gear on my specter and it seems fine. you have so much defence, it's a nice change. gotta decide if I want to put the torment runes on cele or vipers armour though. i'm sc/p but from what i've read sc/d is very popular as well

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

explosivo posted:

Ugh man I kinda burned myself out trying to bypass a bunch of poo poo and get a skyscale; now that I'm at the point post story where I can even start to do the achievements to get it, I'm realizing how much of a goddamn undertaking it is to do all of these achievements. I think there's some things I'd need to complete these that I don't have anyway, I should probably go back to just playing through this story in order and forget about the skyscale for the time being.

You really should not make skyscale your main quest. Unless you're all out of other fun things to do, it's best to work on skyscale slowly, doing piece by piece. It has a lot to it. Tons of little collections. Blish HUD makes to Dragonfall collections easier, but its still tedious.

If you're desperate for a flying mount, get a griffon for now. It's 250g, and some easy collections and can be done in a couple hours.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
If your cele armor is the boost stuff, be careful, because you can't get your runes back out without extractors, which cost gems or other cash shop stuff.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Upgrade extractors don't work on the boost freebie gear either IIRC.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Finally got the drat missions to finish by having a youtube video on in the background, that's a very stupid solution.

Quick question during the final mission for the original campaign, are destiny's edge supposed to be completely useless? They just stood in the back of the ship.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Azubah posted:

Finally got the drat missions to finish by having a youtube video on in the background, that's a very stupid solution.

Quick question during the final mission for the original campaign, are destiny's edge supposed to be completely useless? They just stood in the back of the ship.

You'll find that this is more or less how every single story instance works in GW2. Everyone except you is a complete moron who does maybe 1 point of damage, which I assume is a design choice not to take away from YOUR EPIC FIGHT if they were actually contributing. At least in some fights they rez you (and then go back to doing nothing).

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Is Trahearne supposed to be this unlikeable cause man he is such a weeny. At least so far.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Mohawk Potato posted:

Is Trahearne supposed to be this unlikeable cause man he is such a weeny. At least so far.

It's not going to get better. A good portion of the player base hates him as a character. The people who don't hate him often claim he's hated because he "steals the player character's thunder". In reality, he and his arc are just badly written and the reference many people point to when they want to make a case how much the writing of the game has improved over the years.

PS: he's introduced earlier in the personal story for Sylvari characters, but those additional story threads don't pay off until the epilogue of Heart of Thorns.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 4, 2022

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Mohawk Potato posted:

He gets more tolerable around the end of Hot. At least thats my experience, I'm not far into LS3 yet.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Kris xK posted:

He gets more tolerable around the end of Hot. At least thats my experience, I'm not far into LS3 yet.

Love him or hate him, his best contribution to the story is at the end of HoT

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Working my way through all the living story stuff I missed and I still don't remember where this other Sylvari with the gambling addiction came from or why I am supposed to care about him at all. Luckily Palawa Joko owns, though I have to sorta question the wisdom of making your primary antagonist more fun and personable than all of your traveling companions combined.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Canach? He's a villain-turned-ally introduced in Southsun portion of LS1, which hasn't been restored yet. He's generally regarded as the least annoying of the PC's companions.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hello Sailor posted:

Canach? He's a villain-turned-ally introduced in Southsun portion of LS1, which hasn't been restored yet. He's generally regarded as the least annoying of the PC's companions.

Ah, that would explain it. Yeah he's not annoying, he's just kinda...there, and I was trying to figure out when he popped up or remember anything about him except the gambling. Marjory and Kasmeer have also just kinda disappeared for the past few chapters, no idea where they went either. I guess the downside of episodic story content that I had to buy and play piecemeal is that it becomes really easy to lose track of everything beyond the main narrative beats.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Palawa Jokowns

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Something about his delivery gives me Frisky Dingo vibes and it just makes all his appearances so much better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I always thought people's hate for Traherne was somewhat unjustified. Granted I started as sylvari where he is with you all throughout personal story whereas for other races he just gets dropped on you later saying "here's this guy he's important okay bye".

He's a scholar, not a soldier, and sort of gets pushed into a role he didn't ask for but tries to do his best anyway.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Traehearne does get better in HoT unironically. His writing improves and I remember the VA having to use range and emotion in the story. In Core, he’s fairly monotonous.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

AmbientParadox posted:

Traehearne does get better in HoT unironically. His writing improves and I remember the VA having to use range and emotion in the story. In Core, he’s fairly monotonous.

And then he loving dies lmao

Yeah it doesn't help that his delivery sucks throughout the core, and also he's the weird Important Chosen One in this story that didn't need one of those. Yeah, your mommy called you special, all the other sylvari got told they're special too, no one cares.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Hello Sailor posted:

Canach? He's a villain-turned-ally introduced in Southsun portion of LS1, which hasn't been restored yet. will not be restored

Fixed!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can get a glimpse of Canach's (and Marjory+Kasmeer's) backstory in the LS5 memory instance but that's about it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Arenanet really didn't know how to support the game going forward from launch, I hope whichever higher-up in the company no longer works there that had the bright idea that the devs should be in eternal crunch-mode as they push out monthly content which would then be removed and wasted and trigger FOMO burnout (until they got their heads out their butts and started scrapping together the old abandoned content)

Apparently they wanted it to be like a TV show that you could only watch once and then all recordings were burned and you could never watch it again, Anet eventually found their niche as the game with a million billion collectathons that you can just ignore until you feel like doing them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

^^^
Yeah I abandoned the game when it was revealed that content would have limited availability.
I have a life, motherfuckers.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Something about his delivery gives me Frisky Dingo vibes and it just makes all his appearances so much better.

Joko's influence over Aurene will have her push Tyria in to the sun.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Joko is the only villain, or honestly even story beats, that have stuck with me. He was so well done, made literally laugh out loud a few times and I wish we could have served him.
I made a Sylvari for the sole purpose of doing the whole story start to finish and get the extra dialgoue bits..... but I'm completely distracted by, and loving wvw.
I gotta look into a server transfer more seriously as God i love being a Hammer Herald. I want more ranks!!! Only rank 31