Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

some plague rats posted:

hell yeah sick

edit: anyone who wants to do burnouts on my street has to naked wrestle with me first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

:drat:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the minneapolis vision zero pdf actually has a pic of the exact street i'm complaining about. this is the bottom part of the hill right after it widens and crosses 94. as you can see, no traffic calming of any type. this isn't a high injury street itself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nice job today thread.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

actionjackson posted:

the minneapolis vision zero pdf actually has a pic of the exact street i'm complaining about. this is the bottom part of the hill right after it widens and crosses 94. as you can see, no traffic calming of any type. this isn't a high injury street itself.

That street has better infrastructure and walkability than 99% of Houston streets. Houston kind of trips rear end backwards into pedestrian friendly streets by having old narrow streets riddled with potholes and ditches on both sides. Cars are too scared to drive quickly on those streets. I'll loving protest city hall if they try to repave my street.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 01:16 on Sep 5, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah houston is pretty lol

this is our high injury network. basically downtown and then the poor areas of course. the street in the pic is franklin ave SE which you can see on the center right. it's in the network but the rest of the street is

(lake and hiawatha is where the target and auto zone burned down after the floyd murder)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what rocks about houston is that now the trucks are getting os big people dont even need to slow down for speedbumps anymore

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

what rocks about houston is that now the trucks are getting os big people dont even need to slow down for speedbumps anymore

That's why I love when streets are unforgivably narrow. Drivers of oversized trucks or SUVs will slow down unless they want to end up in the ditch. There are a few spots where there isn't a ditch and drivers become overconfident and drive right into the grass and mud.

One of my favorite memories of learning to drive in Houston was during a heavy rain storm on one of those narrow roads surrounded by ditches. An impatient idiot sped around me, lost control, and crashed into the flooded ditch. I slowly drove past him to soak in the look of horror on his face.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

edit: anyone who wants to do burnouts on my street has to naked wrestle with me first.

Don't threaten me with a good time you idiot

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are the burnouts optional?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Trade unionists+bicycles

V good

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
When I was a kid and SUVs were new, every time it snowed the idiots who bought an SUV would go to the store to buy milk to show their purchase was useful. Our street would get plowed one lane wide, and inevitably several times a day two SUVs would wind up facing one another, each honking wildly and insisting the other driver back down and yield right of way. You could sit on the front porch with hot chocolate mom made you and learn new curse words.

Anyway today no one expects SUVs to be useful so the owners don't insist on driving more when it snows.

Also it snows a lot less.

For some reason.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mystic Mongol posted:

When I was a kid and SUVs were new, every time it snowed the idiots who bought an SUV would go to the store to buy milk to show their purchase was useful. Our street would get plowed one lane wide, and inevitably several times a day two SUVs would wind up facing one another, each honking wildly and insisting the other driver back down and yield right of way. You could sit on the front porch with hot chocolate mom made you and learn new curse words.

Anyway today no one expects SUVs to be useful so the owners don't insist on driving more when it snows.

For some reason.

Ahahehehah... yeah

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

For some reason.
:gbsmith:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That's actually a fairly common ritual for SUVs to establish territorial dominance. You're lucky they didn't reach the stage of headfirst ramming - it's less common now but they are descended from mountain goats, after all.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

omw to go buy some milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

pay close attention to the manchild's pants at 1:30

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

God Hole posted:

omw to go buy some milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

pay close attention to the manchild's pants at 1:30

This guy drives on public roads with the rest of us, good to know

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

man I saw someone park one of these in a hospital permit only spot right in front, and I was already to tell the people some douchebag was illegally parking there, but nope - on-call interventional cardiology

Only registered members can see post attachments!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

fun car brained story today. some people pulled over in my neighborhood close enough i could see and hear them easily outside my window.

they started exchanging insurance info or whatever so i assumed minor fender bender when suddenly one of them absolutely flipped a poo poo out of nowhere and started screaming at the other for a full 20 minutes just right up in their face

screaming driver finally drives off, thought it was over, then they come back with reinforcements. a whole friend group of people is now screaming at top volume at the original person, surrounding them, stopping them from driving off

this is Texas, so i was 85% sure someone was about to be shot dead right there. somehow miraculously without the cops showing up and without anyone getting shot everyone just dispersed like 20 more minutes of screaming after the second crowd arrived

so...yeah good outcome i guess

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

actionjackson posted:

man I saw someone park one of these in a hospital permit only spot right in front, and I was already to tell the people some douchebag was illegally parking there, but nope - on-call interventional cardiology

lol that dumb loser cardiologist could have gotten like 10 2019+ Miata's for that price, guess he's not a brain surgeon tho

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

speng31b posted:

they started exchanging insurance info or whatever so i assumed minor fender bender when suddenly one of them absolutely flipped a poo poo out of nowhere and started screaming at the other for a full 20 minutes just right up in their face

This poo poo is why I cycle where I can

The cost of upkeep and running costs is high enough without having to worry about hitting another vehicle for a couple hundred/thousand

Like, my bike is cheap enough I could just buy a new one if it got run over

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Jestery posted:

This poo poo is why I cycle where I can

The cost of upkeep and running costs is high enough without having to worry about hitting another vehicle for a couple hundred/thousand

Like, my bike is cheap enough I could just buy a new one if it got run over

Another perk to having a lovely ebike conversion kit is if a car runs it over it will blow up

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

lol that dumb loser cardiologist could have gotten like 10 2019+ Miata's for that price, guess he's not a brain surgeon tho

he prob makes a similar amount of money

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sphyre posted:

how many ebikes could you make out of the materials required for just one electric car

I am slowly catching up on the thread here but I ran the numbers on the battery pack in the new Hummer EV because I wanted to know the same and for a vehicle that can move like 5 people you can put a battery in over 650 Specialized Levo e-bikes with like 45+ miles of range.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I am slowly catching up on the thread here but I ran the numbers on the battery pack in the new Hummer EV because I wanted to know the same and for a vehicle that can move like 5 people you can put a battery in over 650 Specialized Levo e-bikes with like 45+ miles of range.

Excuse me. Are you implying that capitalism is inefficient???

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
they should just call it the mazda divorce

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Blockade posted:

Another perk to having a lovely ebike conversion kit is if a car runs it over it will blow up

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/cjyu/status/1566839980906860544

revolting