Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Help, I’m lost in the Liefeld homage Twitter and I can’t stop scrolling.

https://twitter.com/lie_felled/status/1553406964176003072?s=21&t=dOizgkPznuwqN4YDEaW6PA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got a huge kick out of that this morning so thanks John Mirra. I don't have a Twitter account so I can't view all of it but seeing him gently caress up Watchmen really brings home how god awful that 90's EXTREME poo poo really was.

Now I want to see that guy him do Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns.

We had a thread a long long time ago where goons took Spiderman and took turns making him more and more Liefeldian, adding pouches and lens flare each time, where the end result was amazing. I think it was Spiderman anyway but I can't find the thread.

Liefelding up classic comic panels, covers or pages might make for a cool thread actually.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I can’t wait for Tintin Liefeld

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am 1000% convinced that Rob is actually running this account and drawing all this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I am 1000% convinced that Rob is actually running this account and drawing all this.

The backgrounds are too good

By virtue of the fact there are backgrounds at all

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah if it was rob drawing it, it would look like his modern work, which is actually significantly worse than his early work

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

yeah if it was rob drawing it, it would look like his modern work, which is actually significantly worse than his early work

I remember when I was doing my Claremont Uncanny read through and hitting what I think was Liefeld's first issue for Marvel (aliens invade Australia, most people don't notice) and thinking "hey, this is a little rough, but a lot of fun."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yeah Liefield was insanely popular at that time and it was for a reason, even if his technical skills were very rough.

Sad to hear he never got better

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I know it's just dogpiling at this point, but the detail I can't get over is how Fighting American's upper half seems to have rotated as an independent entity from the rest of his body. His belt buckle and belt loops are centered to his torso but also completely out of alignment with his pelvis.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Liefeld bascially draws like a 14 year old kid. is only real strength is that, for better or worse, his stuff absolutely screams off the page and nobody would ever say it's boring. It's all just so loving LOUD and he renders every character the same way. If I were to pay him a compliment, besides somehow getting rich drawing comics, it's that his poo poo is nothing but nonstop action, appeals to kids and you can tell he has a hell of a lot of fun drawing that poo poo. Except he's a horrible story teller.

But imagine him trying to illustrate Sandman or a Batman noir detective story. Watchmen. Daredevil.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Funny thing is early 90s Mark Pacella. Even as an X-Force loving little poo poo who thought Liefeld was pretty rad stuff, even then when I saw Pacella imitating Rob I was all "that is nasty that is dog poo poo"

BiggerBoat posted:

We had a thread a long long time ago where goons took Spiderman and took turns making him more and more Liefeldian, adding pouches and lens flare each time, where the end result was amazing. I think it was Spiderman anyway but I can't find the thread.

Erik Larsen beat y'all by about 25 years

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Someday I'd love to see some kind of deep-dive on all the historical, political, and cultural factors, both in and out of the comic industry, that led to the early 90's/Image/eXtreme aesthetic. It's simultaneously perfectly representative of the era and totally unique within it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Keromaru5 posted:

Someday I'd love to see some kind of deep-dive on all the historical, political, and cultural factors, both in and out of the comic industry, that led to the early 90's/Image/eXtreme aesthetic. It's simultaneously perfectly representative of the era and totally unique within it.

Apparently part of it was manga; Liefeld and some other creators were huge fans of Masamune Shirow’s Appleseed, which had big guns and military equipment galore.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Funny thing is early 90s Mark Pacella. Even as an X-Force loving little poo poo who thought Liefeld was pretty rad stuff, even then when I saw Pacella imitating Rob I was all "that is nasty that is dog poo poo"

Erik Larsen beat y'all by about 25 years

Does Cyber-Spider-Man (Spyber-Man?) have shutters on his cyber-shoulder? And what's with the ring of cyber-eggs on his cyber-bicep?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/SienkiewiczArt/status/1566636480860127233?t=tvK299J7c2TCyLMh4yj49A&s=19

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
That doesn't look like Moon Knight at all.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
The Housecat of Khonshu has been awakened and set upon the transgressing parakeets...

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Libra posted:

Does Cyber-Spider-Man (Spyber-Man?) have shutters on his cyber-shoulder? And what's with the ring of cyber-eggs on his cyber-bicep?

I think the shutters are supposed to look like samurai armor and the eggs are i dunno, healy orbs. Spiderman broke his arm and CYBORG X gave him that as a sort of cyber cast because it was the 90s and that stuff was cool as poo poo.

Here's a page from the book, I happen to own this one because CyberSpidey is awesome.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

thetoughestbean posted:

Apparently part of it was manga; Liefeld and some other creators were huge fans of Masamune Shirow’s Appleseed, which had big guns and military equipment galore.

Liefeld wishes he could draw firearms as well as Shirow does. All these years later he still draws every gun like it's a tube or shaped like a bar or chocolate.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

The iconic poster for CATS came out in 1981. I wonder if that influenced this at all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

The iconic poster for CATS came out in 1981. I wonder if that influenced this at all.

Came out November '82 apparently, so I think that's likely.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

According to this: https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/70416/moon_knight_1980_29

that issue was 1983 so lmao yeah probably

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

According to this: https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/70416/moon_knight_1980_29

that issue was 1983 so lmao yeah probably

Cover Date is when retailers are supposed to take something off the shelves and return the cover for costs, not when it was released.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How silly to think the word "published" meant "published."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

How silly to think the word "published" meant "published."

I was going off this
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Moon_Knight_Vol_1_29
which said the cover date was March 83 and the cover says March, I'm guessing whatever intern typed that up doesn't know what a cover date is.

Edit: Yeah, clicking through for a few issues the "Date published" is just the first of whatever month is printed on the cover.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 5, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

thetoughestbean posted:

I... I think I'm having a panic attack. I can see how Liefeld could be inspired by it, but... It's at least competent?! Help!!!

Also

Parkingtigers posted:

Help, I’m lost in the Liefeld homage Twitter and I can’t stop scrolling.

https://twitter.com/lie_felled/status/1553406964176003072?s=21&t=dOizgkPznuwqN4YDEaW6PA

That last panel had me literally snickering at work, so thanks for nothing.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Still working my way through Peter David's X-Factor, and Larry Stroman has been a lowlight on art. Anyone who isn't a main character looks like some sort of troll, and even the main characters suffer at times.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Libra posted:

he only wore this getup for like 6 pages before his broken arm healed. Only as I got much older did I realize how loving weird that run got, complete with Spidey and the Punisher taking on a military academy commandant or some poo poo who was trying to replace the dollar with cocaine.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Samovar posted:

I... I think I'm having a panic attack. I can see how Liefeld could be inspired by it, but... It's at least competent?! Help!!!
I knew Shirow was a big influence on a lot of late 90's artists, but never would have thought of the early 90's ones.

Well now I want to know where they got the way they draw women, especially that weird hip thing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Too busy drawing robot bugs to finish Wonder Woman, I guess.

And then Superman is turning into a Star Trek alien.

Earth 2 #0 (2012)
Pencils/Inks: Tomas Giorello

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Attacking a swarm entity with fists and a sword seems a bit of a poor choice.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Still working my way through Peter David's X-Factor, and Larry Stroman has been a lowlight on art. Anyone who isn't a main character looks like some sort of troll, and even the main characters suffer at times.

The art is atrocious but the writing is delightful

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stroman's art in the original run he did on X-Factor was great. He's got a unique style that isn't for everyone, but it stood out against the usual 90s stuff.

His art later from that run you posted isn't great, though. I don't know if it's age or different coloring or inking but it just looks sloppy. Maybe he was rushed.

I still like his art overall though

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Keromaru5 posted:

I knew Shirow was a big influence on a lot of late 90's artists, but never would have thought of the early 90's ones.

Well now I want to know where they got the way they draw women, especially that weird hip thing.

Given some of his other...output, probably also Shirow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Attacking a swarm entity with fists and a sword seems a bit of a poor choice.

Look he's not Silver Age Superman, he doesn't have some bullshit like singing at a note that will kill robot bugs.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is coloring in B&W art ever a good idea? I heard about the upcoming Best of 2000AD collections but the previews that are obviously colored after the fact look pretty lame, although it’s not the worst I’ve seen. Am I just a weirdo for preferring things stayed B&W?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

david_a posted:

Is coloring in B&W art ever a good idea? I heard about the upcoming Best of 2000AD collections but the previews that are obviously colored after the fact look pretty lame, although it’s not the worst I’ve seen. Am I just a weirdo for preferring things stayed B&W?

There’s a fan trend of coloring in popular manga and I pretty much always think it looks terrible.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Black & white art is usually drawn with the contrast between black and white in mind, so yeah, introducing colour can turn it into a mess.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

david_a posted:

Scott Pilgrim color edition is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

david_a posted:

Unless Brink was originally in B&W the only piece of art on that page which was not originally in colour is the Halo Jones spread, which looks pretty good to me.