Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

MLSM posted:

This is the moment when Obama irrevocably became persona non grata to any remotely thinking human being.

theres like a 0% chance of taking any damage from chugging a single glass of even the lead-iest water, esp if your mr president and can get all your blood hotswapped by the end of the day

should have committed to the bit and chugged a pitcher and then had some aides unload a gatorade cooler of the water over him for good measure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Relentlessboredomm posted:

has there been any good modeling around how voters have shifted around since 2020? there's places like CO where every single small town is now overwhelmed with coastal libs who've moved there or FL where the population in general has just loving skyrocketed.

it'd be odd if all that pandemic/WFH driven relocation didn't affect the political makeup of some places (elections don't matter, im just curious what level of chaos I can look forward to)

At this point I'd say the modeling and predictions are even more worthless than usual. Modeling is about matching patterns. The past few elections and years in this country have been shaped by world events that don't map to the electoral trends, so all anyone is doing is guessing and then trying to justify why the tea leaves they read were scientific.

hekaton posted:

theres like a 0% chance of taking any damage from chugging a single glass of even the lead-iest water, esp if your mr president and can get all your blood hotswapped by the end of the day

should have committed to the bit and chugged a pitcher and then had some aides unload a gatorade cooler of the water over him for good measure

Didn't he even fake it? I thought that was part of the controversy, he wouldn't even really drink the Flint water. But yeah, the issue isn't an adult being exposed to lead once, it's the long term effects of bioaccumulation, especially in developing bodies.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

yeah im sure all the liberals who "go high" are totally ready and prepared to fight a brutal, violent war that will level towns and cities and everything

do these people think war consists of showing up with their stupid loving fight song playing and waving their signs around that the other guys are just gonna go home dont answer I already know the answer please shut up

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Good soup! posted:

yeah im sure all the liberals who "go high" are totally ready and prepared to fight a brutal, violent war that will level towns and cities and everything

do these people think war consists of showing up with their stupid loving fight song playing and waving their signs around that the other guys are just gonna go home dont answer I already know the answer please shut up

Nah, that's what the military is for

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it doesn't take much to level a town, just need an MLRS. i saw one going down the highway the other day on a flatbed. probably going to ukraine

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Good soup! posted:

i mean the other side of the civil war thinks war consists of the same thing except they get to say the n-word on facebook and force their estranged children to read it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Business Gorillas posted:

i mean the other side of the civil war thinks war consists of the same thing except they get to say the n-word on facebook and force their estranged children to read it

The difference is the police actively help that side commit violence -as long as it doesn't go too far in interrupting the system. They infiltrate rightwing groups to steer them and make them better at terrorism and provide plausible deniability.

Griz
May 21, 2001

LastInLine posted:

To say nothing of Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia that got nothing worth mentioning and has had poisoned water for the entirety of its existence and is currently still a (man-made) disaster area.

don't forget Hawaii where the navy is still leaking jet fuel into the aquifer and doesn't plan to do anything about it for at least two years

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Peak Democrat was Eric Adams doing a media bit drinking the 'supposedly poisonous' tap water but there was the most obvious jerky cut between him filling the glass from the tap and drinking the glass of water.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

hekaton posted:

Obama, in an alternate timeline where he actually was a fan of Breaking Bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiiqp9gnly8

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Griz posted:

don't forget Hawaii where the navy is still leaking jet fuel into the aquifer and doesn't plan to do anything about it for at least two years

I literally did forget

I guess I'm the moron for expecting the government to provide water for its citizens

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/flkdayton/status/1566439107974385667?s=21&t=qycMRV1vRQPyoj2sNgvW_g

Dems sure are getting destroyed all right alooollll

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1566480848530153474?s=20&t=qWBAvC61Cg-Y2B7AiA0ejw

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Coolness Averted posted:

Didn't he even fake it? I thought that was part of the controversy, he wouldn't even really drink the Flint water. But yeah, the issue isn't an adult being exposed to lead once, it's the long term effects of bioaccumulation, especially in developing bodies.

It was the governor, Rick "I'm a smart nerd" Synder who faked it by pledging to drink the water for a month then taking a two week trip to China

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Right, looking up the video Obama just lightly sipped some of the flint water in such a brave and noble move

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
you can’t blame him for not wanting to be like the guy in Punjab

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/india-drink-river-pollution-water-b2129263.html

quote:

The chief minister of a northern state in India has been hospitalised after he was filmed drinking water from a “holy” river to prove the water was clean.

you also can’t blame me for wanting to have seen him do it anyway

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

oh chris always so fun to read

quote:

In my book America: The Farewell Tour, I examined the social indicators of a nation in serious trouble. Life expectancy in the U.S. fell in 2021, for the second year in a row. There have been over 300 mass shootings this year. Close to a million people have died from drug overdoses since 1999. There are an average of 132 suicides every day. Nearly 42 percent of the country is classified as obese, with one in 11 adults considered severely obese.

A Bakers Cousin has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Sep 4, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why cant chris understand how great everything is?
vote joe

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

His substack is free and pretty much always good

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The nazis are coming and there's nothing we can do about it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Coolness Averted posted:

Right, looking up the video Obama just lightly sipped some of the flint water in such a brave and noble move

Sipping is such a failing democrat move.

Fake it or don’t. Either way, down the whole glass.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

Sipping is such a failing democrat move.

Fake it or don’t. Either way, down the whole glass.

did you ever read that piece from like 2017 where they interview a buncha obama admin functionaries and they reveal poo poo like they tried holding multiple "bipartisan move nights" where they basically invited congress to hang out and the republicans just kept laughing at them and not showing up

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i'm assuming they wanted to screen a bunch of dork-rear end poo poo like harry potter or the blind side or something instead of awesome poo poo like delta force or heat.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

republicans just kept laughing at them and not showing up

Lol republicans spent the first 3 yes crying if ONLY obungler had invited them for golf they would probably be passing his bills, bipartisanly

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
lol
https://twitter.com/robreiner/status/1566489320919158784?s=21&t=cW_9oXtlE_ROZV9uZzkZ6Q

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this seems like an unhinged nonsense rant that is mad at biden's speech because...uh it is hard to summarize it because it makes no sense. what parts of it did you think were of interest

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

*democrats also contain fascism

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sounds like ill be taking robs advice and voting cpusa

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The premise of this article is kind of dumb, because it implies that America was a functioning democracy in the past.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I would argue yhat America still does not have universal suffrage because it still disenfranchises felons and makes it as hard as possible to vote in most states. I do not consider those exceptions

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The relevant point is literally the first line

quote:

A functioning democracy could easily dispatch Donald Trump and his doppelgängers. A failed democracy and bankrupt liberalism assures their ascendancy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilpicard posted:

quote:

Decades in the making, this disconnect has extinguished American democracy. The steady stripping away of economic and political power was ignored by a hyperventilating press that thundered against the barbarians at the gate — Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, the Taliban, ISIS, Vladimir Putin — while ignoring the barbarians in our midst. The slow-motion coup is over. Corporations and the billionaire class have won. There are no institutions, including the press, an electoral system that is little more than legalized bribery, the imperial presidency, the courts or the penal system, that can be defined as democratic. Only the fiction of democracy remains.

implies that the US was once a democracy by these standards

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

evilpicard posted:

Normally like Chris Hedges but I think the idea that Donald Trump is somehow uniquely horrible is just an absolute dogshit opinion. Just thinking about my life there have been 5 presidents. Bush senior I was a baby but he was CIA lmao, Bill Clinton hosed kids on Epstein's plane (I guess Hillary defended that child rapist to prep for helping Bill should the time ever come), Bush literally murdered a million Iraqis and Afghans for oil money, Obama did all the same poo poo but he was a really good public speaker (although I don't think he is a child rapist like Bill, just a child killer, although to be fair is 16 really a child? ah but what about all the others?), and then Trump who supposedly did all this horrible poo poo like...? Oh yeah, he staged a coup in Ukraine and then put Jared Kusher on the board of directors of their national gas company at a 50k/month salary and Jared spent the whole time smoking crack and loving hookers while being late for the payments on his Porsche and shorting his secretary her salar OH WAIT that wasn't Jared that was Joe Biden's son and the coup happened under the Obama/Biden/Clinton administration. God drat America. gently caress dude. Sometimes I think about moving home and then I imagine my daughter having to say the pledge of allegiance in school and just lol gently caress that, can't go back, ever.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Would you say overturning the voting rights act increased or decreased democracy in the United States

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

IAMKOREA posted:

Normally like Chris Hedges but I think the idea that Donald Trump is somehow uniquely horrible is just an absolute dogshit opinion.

Did you read the same article I did? What I got from it is that Hedges is acknowledging that the government is completely subservient to Capital, and Trump or Biden or Obama are just different faces of the same beast.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Chamale posted:

Did you read the same article I did? What I got from it is that Hedges is acknowledging that the government is completely subservient to Capital, and Trump or Biden or Obama are just different faces of the same beast.

Nah I didn't read poo poo I just read the line quoted above

quote:

A functioning democracy could easily dispatch Donald Trump and his doppelgängers. A failed democracy and bankrupt liberalism assures their ascendancy

And like, I'm sure it's a good essay, it is Chris Hedges after all he is really smart and I like him, but I just take issue with the idea that Donald Trump needs to be dispatched and not like, every single loving politician who has been in charge for my entire life.

E: I mean Donald Trump isn't even president, the current corrupt piece of poo poo president was in the administration that staged a coup in Ukraine and put his loving idiot drug addict hooker loving son on the board of Burisma, why aren't we talking about how a functioning democracy should be able to easily dispatch Biden?

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Sep 5, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ex post facho posted:

I would argue yhat America still does not have universal suffrage because it still disenfranchises felons and makes it as hard as possible to vote in most states. I do not consider those exceptions
I'd add that universal suffrage still does not a democracy make, even if it's a requirement. If your political system makes people think voting is a waste of time, that's no more democratic than just saying those people aren't allowed to vote in the first place.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

I just take issue with the idea that Donald Trump needs to be dispatched and not like, every single loving politician who has been in charge for my entire life.

His entire career has been spent documenting and condemning the failures of liberalism though, his point isn't we need to defeat trump and put in a neoliberal goon because they're so awesome, it's that the failure of liberalism is actually the proximate cause of trumpism and future Speaker Magic The Gathering.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

evilpicard posted:

His entire career has been spent documenting and condemning the failures of liberalism though, his point isn't we need to defeat trump and put in a neoliberal goon because they're so awesome, it's that the failure of liberalism is actually the proximate cause of trumpism and future Speaker Magic The Gathering.

I think we're speaking past each other, I agree but at the same time I don't think "trumpism" is a novel thing. I mean it is novel in the sense that its loving hilarious, but its not novel in the sense of making the world worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fair enough