Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

cohsae posted:

A few years back one of Australia's newspapers wanted a famous person's opinion on immigrants coming to Australia.

They asked Ivan Milat.
If you're not sure who that is he's Australia's most notorious serial killer and one of the major inspirations for the villain in Wolf Creek.

Australian news is bad my friend.

well? was he pro or con?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

Isn’t the reason people don’t like movies at a high framerate is because they’re not used to it? There’s nothing actually better about 24 FPS.

Movies are designed to be watched at 24fps. If you watch Star Wars Episode IV, it's a cinematic milestone and masterpiece. If you turn on smoothing to 60 fps, it falls completely apart and looks like a 70s Doctor Who episode, filmed on VHS.

If you design your content to look good at 60 fps, it will look good at 60 fps and wrong at 24 fps.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Metis of the Hallway posted:

We have a tennis court named after her and it's not even the Margaret Court Court, it's an ~arena~

Like come on, if we have to have a tennis court named for a racist homophobe at least let it be funny

Someone with the last name of Margaret should become a solid tennis player, then it could be the Margaret Court

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There are periodic attempts to get it named the Tina Arena.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mx. posted:

https://twitter.com/oliverbrown_tel/status/1566552195771809802?t=bnT8BVYVSBV5G-GPgpEgtQ&s=19

Lol maybe it was all the pro-apartheid comments, maybe it was comparing lesbians to Nazis, or all the transphobia, who knows. All we know is it's somehow not poor old Court's fault that everyone is so mean to her

You spend your whole life being a hateful bigot, you end up looking like this

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pookah posted:

I see the Mussolini-chin thrust is still popular amongst the scum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samovar posted:

I hope they imitate a few more of his poses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samovar posted:

I don’t see the resemblance.

Now I see it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

RyokoTK posted:

Isn’t the reason people don’t like movies at a high framerate is because they’re not used to it? There’s nothing actually better about 24 FPS.

Special effects can suffer immensely without the blurring effect of 24fps. Your eyes CAN see at about 60fps and when films are done at higher frames you notice the details of motion more. This can be a big issue in special effects since you can easily create an uncanny valley of sorts if you aren’t really really good at animation.

Combine that with 4k and you can then see the set designs and lack of realism since now you also have a lighting issue.

For a great example of the effects of 4k AND higher fps watch The Hobbit trilogy and tell me how often you feel the effects to be jarring. Then watch its making of documentary to learn just how many practical effects and set pieces they actually used (a lot) and you will see it just did not work.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Sep 5, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

For a great example of the effects of 4k AND higher fps watch The Hobbit trilogy and tell me how often you feel the effects to be jarring. Then watch its making of documentary to learn just how many practical effects and set pieces they actually used (a lot) and you will see it just did not work.

Hobbit looks awful because they opened the aperture wide to increase motion blur, I believe the cinematographer called it "silky". It looks smeared as hell and it's unsurprising that any composites ended up like poo poo as a result.

No one has used HFR in a good way yet, admittedly. VRR in film could be neat, a lot of film uses clips that present as television but clearly do not due to the framerate, those could read more authentic if presented at 60hz instead. Could also use it to present thematic or context shifts much in the way changing aspect ratios are used.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve seen plenty of theatrically presented HFR material, but it was all designed and shot for HFR.so,e was also designed and shot for higher brightness! That stuff looks great if it’s presented correctly, and bad if it isn’t.

As displays keep getting brighter the 24Hz content strobes badly, that’s one reason to use those lovely temporal upscaling modes in the tv.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
https://twitter.com/eiecampaign/status/1566697053446721537
For those that aren't in the UK energy prices have gone totally insane. We're talking about over quadrupled since 2021 and they just keep raising the cap.

So far Tory leadership has suggested cutting taxes (mostly on the rich) and plenty of suggestions about how to huddle in the darkness for warmth.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Darkhold posted:

https://twitter.com/eiecampaign/status/1566697053446721537
For those that aren't in the UK energy prices have gone totally insane. We're talking about over quadrupled since 2021 and they just keep raising the cap.

So far Tory leadership has suggested cutting taxes (mostly on the rich) and plenty of suggestions about how to huddle in the darkness for warmth.
Meanwhile, This Morning is offering four months' worth of energy bills as a competition prize:

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1566748685341425664

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SCheeseman posted:

opened the aperture wide to increase motion blur

What.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pookah posted:

I get why they don't draw Judge Dredd with his helmet off now.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

spent all that time worried about lesbians when she should have been terrified of father time

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

cohsae posted:

A few years back one of Australia's newspapers wanted a famous person's opinion on immigrants coming to Australia.

They asked Ivan Milat.
If you're not sure who that is he's Australia's most notorious serial killer and one of the major inspirations for the villain in Wolf Creek.

Australian news is bad my friend.

At this point I'm assuming the news in Australia is hosted by Chopper.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Drinkslinger posted:

Meanwhile, This Morning is offering four months' worth of energy bills as a competition prize:

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1566748685341425664
gently caress, someone beat me to it in the replies.
https://twitter.com/nickwizzo/status/1566750918590218241

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Opened the aperture of the shutter wider, exposing the image to the sensor for a longer period of time. 270 vs a typical 180 degrees.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/whitefeeIings/status/1566508362577346560

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Inceltown posted:

There are periodic attempts to get it named the Tina Arena.

Boo!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

At this point I'm assuming the news in Australia is hosted by Chopper.

Ha ha ha, don't be silly. Chopper died in 2013, they had to find someone else.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Yeah remake all of those holocaust movies(???), Hollywood.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Elissimpark posted:

Boo!

Ha ha ha, don't be silly. Chopper died in 2013, they had to find someone else.

Eric Bana doesn't seem to be very busy these days, maybe he can fill in

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

old bean factory posted:

Yeah remake all of those holocaust movies(???), Hollywood.

Give us that chubby remake of The Day the Clown Cried we all deserve.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

The buried lede here is the "if there were a real holocaust".

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Ok this one is just bait.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

dialhforhero posted:

Special effects can suffer immensely without the blurring effect of 24fps. Your eyes CAN see at about 60fps and when films are done at higher frames you notice the details of motion more. This can be a big issue in special effects since you can easily create an uncanny valley of sorts if you aren’t really really good at animation.

Combine that with 4k and you can then see the set designs and lack of realism since now you also have a lighting issue.

I feel like if you watch the Hobbit movies at 24 FPS they’d still look like poo poo, I thoroughly hated the action in those (or at least the first two, I didn’t see the third). Trying to also acclimate to 48 FPS didn’t help. But like, if you interpolated Fellowship of the Ring to 48 it would still look better, I bet.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i choose to believe that tweet is not real

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Mx. posted:

i choose to believe that tweet is not real

I have met many, many people who believe this wholeheartedly.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

GreenMetalSun posted:

I have met many, many people who believe this wholeheartedly.

Wh... When did it come up

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Heath posted:

Wh... When did it come up

To be clear, that you can't lose weight by not eating and/or that starving to death is impossible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GreenMetalSun posted:

To be clear, that you can't lose weight by not eating and/or that starving to death is impossible.

You know many, many breatharians?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

A Nuclear Saturday is to be expected after a long work week. I did not expect to have a Nuclear Sunday, however.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Tiggum posted:

You know many, many breatharians?

If that's what they're called? I guess so, yeah?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

evobatman posted:

Movies are designed to be watched at 24fps. If you watch Star Wars Episode IV, it's a cinematic milestone and masterpiece. If you turn on smoothing to 60 fps, it falls completely apart and looks like a 70s Doctor Who episode, filmed on VHS.

If you design your content to look good at 60 fps, it will look good at 60 fps and wrong at 24 fps.

A coworker some years back indicated that he hadn't seen Office Space, so I queued it up on the break room TV which had HFR interpolation turned on.

Do you know what Office Space looks like at interpolated 60fps? Particularly the opening scenes where there is no music and he is just walking quietly through an office while the phone lady yelps "JUST a moment!" in the background and he is sneaking up on the doorknob to avoid getting shocked?

It looks like someone with a camcorder just taking a video of a bunch of cubicles at work. It's excruciating and you have no sense that you're watching a "movie" or that anything funny is happening.

The coworker just looked at his phone for a few minutes and then wandered away

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A few years back at the office halloween party my boss put on Scream, I hadn't seen it in about a decade. It had motion smoothing on and it kinda worked because it made the whole thing look more like a WB teen drama from the late 90s.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Croccers posted:

gently caress, someone beat me to it in the replies.
https://twitter.com/nickwizzo/status/1566750918590218241

Holy poo poo

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I have many questions.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TinTower posted:

I have many questions.
Like what though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TinTower posted:

I have many questions.

Energy is at a premium and coke is high in calories