Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I've heard recently that very few guilds are killing PD, let alone clearing VP (either with or without Nexxona). Can anyone corroborate this?

This will be our fourth week of full clears at least. I haven’t played for 20 years but it doesn’t seem like an especially hard raid once you can consistently get at least 32-35+ or maybe I just got lucky post guild drama split. Outside of that first week I think we’ve been finishing on average in an hour and a half with no wipes the last three weeks.

Managed to snag the overrated Robe of the Azure Sky when we had three drop at once for not a very large amount of DKP - but now you are giving me bidder’s remorse! Is there a curated list of what is “worth it” for say Enchanters on a TLP? EQItems had me thinking Sal’Varae’s was the only better option until Luclin.

I also managed to finish my epic the same night I got into VP for the first time, so I’m feeling pretty good about Kunark. Debating if the Chardok faction quests are worth it just for the experience given what a pain in the rear end the goblins seem to be to find up unless you can get lucky and able to pop a pick on raid night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Porterhaus posted:

This will be our fourth week of full clears at least. I haven’t played for 20 years but it doesn’t seem like an especially hard raid once you can consistently get at least 32-35+ or maybe I just got lucky post guild drama split. Outside of that first week I think we’ve been finishing on average in an hour and a half with no wipes the last three weeks.

Managed to snag the overrated Robe of the Azure Sky when we had three drop at once for not a very large amount of DKP - but now you are giving me bidder’s remorse! Is there a curated list of what is “worth it” for say Enchanters on a TLP? EQItems had me thinking Sal’Varae’s was the only better option until Luclin.

I also managed to finish my epic the same night I got into VP for the first time, so I’m feeling pretty good about Kunark. Debating if the Chardok faction quests are worth it just for the experience given what a pain in the rear end the goblins seem to be to find up unless you can get lucky and able to pop a pick on raid night.

Goblins are a pain in the rear end unless you're good at tracking timers and willing to no-life it.

The problem with Robe of Azure Sky for casters is rooted in the itemization problem of pre-luclin EQ. Most upgrades, even when piled together, don't form a meaningful upgrade unless you hit a step function that enables you to do something new. Wizards with huge mana pools are useful, but not that much more useful than small mana pool wizards, on boss fights. Because the mana regen rate is constant. If the mana pool was the difference between being able to quad kite or not quad kite TD raptors (lol), then it's a meaningful upgrade. For clerics, obviously it extends CH rotation timer and that's a measurable continuous improvement.

So the difference between a Robe of Azure Sky, Crimson Robe of the Alendine, or the PoG robe or the WToV robe aren't that big. Granted, each of those are a big upgrade over Insidious, and it is a pretty cool prestige pixel, it's just not a super huge upgrade. It doesn't really change how you do things. And with the exception of haste, and to a lesser degree, FT, there aren't many upgrades like that until Luclin. Fungi, fungi staff, CoS, free damage kunark armor, epics, DE mask, maybe a few others.

In overdue guild drama, our second VP raid, a Robe of the Azure Sky dropped. An Aradune guildmate, a Necro, bid and won it. Bid his whole stack. But then the guild loot master had a freak out. Loot master said Necro had indicated he wanted to switch to warrior. And that was true. But not until the back half of velious, and because we needed a warrior because we keep losing warriors to attrition. Loot master freaked out, awarded it to second place, said Necro was a scumbag, shouldn't be trusted, why would he even bid on it, etc. No officer alignment or consensus us on it. Necro dropped guild. Raid continued to talk poo poo with all the sycophants backing up loot master.

Necro eventually rejoined on the condition that his dkp and all dkp he earns on the Necro transfers to his warrior, he gets an epic, maybe some other stuff. next raid, we spent 3 hours wiping to trakanon, attempting to do 29 man splits with the second raid on standby. And if that dkp stuff could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. I was looking forward to the chest burst but have flopped until kunark ends, and I'll be out of town the first two weeks of velious. I don't know if Oggwhomp's run on Yelinak is over, but this guild is pretty gross and my friends are content to watch Rome sebilis burn and I'm pretty over it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

I don’t have a curated list but here’s some rambling for Velious/Luclin.

For Velious: Pick up a Girdle of Living Thorns to piss off your tanks. A mid-late expansion King Tormax head for White Dragonscale Boots is also usually a good buy since you can convert the reward into a tradeable form and sell it when you upgrade. The bonuses aren’t active yet but still look at mana pres (Obulus Death Shroud or Sky Watchers Monocle) and spell haste (Hand of the Master or Frostreaver’s Embroidered Cloak) and extended buff duration (coldain shawl if you can be bothered, can’t remember the other options) don’t spend on other items for those slots.

Luclin has way more essentials imo. Look into Wristbands of Secrets, Ring of Immobilization and Dagger of Thought. Koadic’s Robe of Heightened Focus is probably worth a moderately high bid for the click alone.

If you are staying into PoP then plan your Luclin bids around having enough DKP to win the first Serpent of Vindication. Being stuck waiting for that poo poo is demoralizing.

If you really think you’re going to stay for like a year+ after pop then I’d suggest main changing from enchanter to monk (or maybe ranger) between GoD and Omens. During PoP you will have an abundance of time to AA and gear up alts.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 2, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

DisgracelandUSA posted:

And if that dkp stuff could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. I was looking forward to the chest burst but have flopped until kunark ends, and I'll be out of town the first two weeks of velious. I don't know if Oggwhomp's run on Yelinak is over, but this guild is pretty gross and my friends are content to watch Rome sebilis burn and I'm pretty over it.

Whole story is hosed up. Loot systems work best when suffused with trust and that situation sounds bankrupt. So dumb to poison the well in kunark of all places. If someone wanted to cash in all of their chips on one item that’s supposed to be how the system works. Changing it on the fly to screw someone over just feels bad. Everyone that plays longer than a year over there is gonna be on two boxes at some point anyway so especially if warrior was on second account who gives AF.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I don't know if Oggwhomp's run on Yelinak is over, but this guild is pretty gross and my friends are content to watch Rome sebilis burn and I'm pretty over it.

Qeynos Yacht Club has been remarkably drama free since the split. We’re also very light on Shaman if you decide you want to give it another try. Waro and I are planning to stick it out and I’m getting married the week Velious launches so will be on a similar progression timeline.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

I don’t have a curated list but here’s some rambling for Velious/Luclin.

For Velious: Pick up a Girdle of Living Thorns to piss off your tanks. A mid-late expansion King Tormax head for White Dragonscale Boots is also usually a good buy since you can convert the reward into a tradeable form and sell it when you upgrade. The bonuses aren’t active yet but still look at mana pres (Obulus Death Shroud or Sky Watchers Monocle) and spell haste (Hand of the Master or Frostreaver’s Embroidered Cloak) and extended buff duration (coldain shawl if you can be bothered, can’t remember the other options) don’t spend on other items for those slots.

Luclin has way more essentials imo. Look into Wristbands of Secrets, Ring of Immobilization and Dagger of Thought. Koadic’s Robe of Heightened Focus is probably worth a moderately high bid for the click alone.

If you are staying into PoP then plan your Luclin bids around having enough DKP to win the first Serpent of Vindication. Being stuck waiting for that poo poo is demoralizing.

If you really think you’re going to stay for like a year+ after pop then I’d suggest main changing from enchanter to monk (or maybe ranger) between GoD and Omens. During PoP you will have an abundance of time to AA and gear up alts.

This is super helpful. I might try to snag some cheap Ancient Shissar Gauntlets off VS while we are still in Kunark since I’m addicted to AC too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

Qeynos Yacht Club has been remarkably drama free since the split. We’re also very light on Shaman if you decide you want to give it another try. Waro and I are planning to stick it out and I’m getting married the week Velious launches so will be on a similar progression timeline.

I’ll be back in a few weeks. I’m studying for 2 weeks of qualifying exams at the moment so I have no time to play.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

This is super helpful. I might try to snag some cheap Ancient Shissar Gauntlets off VS while we are still in Kunark since I’m addicted to AC too.

Velious is the proper beginning of absurd AC on raid gear, and they had no idea yet of what classes to restrict from it. So many All/All pieces with plate equivalent AC. Getting huge amounts of AC/HP and feeling invincible in solo/group stuff is more or less the whole appeal of raid gear to me.

also you probably already have this but do not overlook the Shisshar Nullifier Staff in kunark from VS. It’s my favorite enchanter click ever for pre PoP, and seems massively underrated. The difference between the click and the highest 60 era tash spell is about 10 points (-30 vs -40 roughly) and in my experience -30 is more than enough for most group/solo stuff. That frees up a spell gem in those situations, plus the click is fast and is usable during the global cooldown. You can start to weave it between spell casts and it’s fun and effective as hell. Lastly, Tashania causes less than half the threat of Tashanian, and like 1/4 the threat of the PoP era tash. It’s actually a huge difference if you are pulling for your group or soloing and want your charm to get immediate threat. I remember using the drat thing into GoD even, it’s just so good and fun to use.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Clicky debuffs have absurd shelf life. Malosinia finally got an upgrade in TSS but I only cast it on raids. Outside of that I’m still using the PoP clicky it’s too good. Same with slow, there are better slows
W/ higher slow % and lower cast time. But I still lean on the time’s antithesis almost exclusively w/ shaman.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I was extremely jealous of the Saryn mask click mages get as a shaman. I got massive mileage out of the VT Pendant of Malosini but that mask is just so superior. Any time I saw a mage using that to overwrite my Malos on raid bosses I noted them down as a Good and smart player. Usually it was the one who would yell for Ro’s debuffs when they weren’t up on bosses (very often).

Also my favorite TA usage was pulling in revamped splitpaw and slowing every single mob as I stacked up a train of 10+, all beating on me but slowed for 7 minutes with turgurs. Then the entire train got brought back into camp with enough threat to keep my bard from getting run over. Shaman is a hell of a class if you enjoy constant button slamming.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 4, 2022

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
This may be an incredibly stupid question, but I guess since the OP is old and there's 427 pages...uh, so are goons playing anywhere specific? I just installed for funsies to see how things are after playing WoW since launch and quitting EQ sometime around Gates of Discord launch.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i dont think there's a coordinated goon group playing anywhere anymore people are just kinda doing their own things. not playing myself at the moment but there's always someone on whatever TLP is newest

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
There hasn't been a group of goons playing EQ together for a long, long time, if ever. You might be able to fill half a group with some at the launch of a TLP, but someone will stop playing pretty soon.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
That's what I figured, and I appreciate the answers.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Every TLP has like 1-4 goons spread across 1-4 guilds. If you care to spend money to subscribe, Yelinak is the newest typical TLP and surely has the most goons kicking around.

There’s a few live server players here also but the gap between a totally new player and established players on Live is enormous compared to Yelinak that’s about to enter Velious.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mischief is another good TLP choice, gear is plentiful thanks to FV loot rules and bonus loot.

You can get geared up for very cheap (especially if you're wiling to buy a few krono), like, there's raid gear up on the bazaar for <1kpp.

The top couple raid guilds are also always taking members, especially if you're a desired class (clerics are #1, but BL/shaman/druid are up there too as well as some pure DPS)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’ve got a presence on Mischief and another goon buddy as well. It’s high pop with people at all levels, and loot is abundant.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

You just will run into the obstacle of needing 200-800 AA (totally depending on class) to feel viable at max level on Mischief. And this grind really sucks if you don’t have established social connections on the server to boost you through the worst of it. I’d suggest anybody rolling fresh there just start boxing from day 1 so you can get 2+ characters AA’d up from the same grind.

But if you care to invest time to see post Omens content then Mischief is probably the best place to do it since Mangler/Phinny.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
With Velious just around the corner, anything an Enchanter should grab while we're still in Kunark that becomes unavailable or will get significantly more expensive later on?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Who Dat posted:

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but I guess since the OP is old and there's 427 pages...uh, so are goons playing anywhere specific? I just installed for funsies to see how things are after playing WoW since launch and quitting EQ sometime around Gates of Discord launch.

Think there is a small handful in various guilds on Yelinak.

Depending on what you're wanting to engage in I'd say the servers breakdown sort of like this.

Yelinak: If you want to ground floor a character and be ready for some of the classic high lights like Planes of Power this is a good time to jump in even if you expect to be all by yourself. You will be able to find some random guild to join. Healthy pickup group scene. There will be a ton of large and small outfits taking down PoP content, though you'll start to see some fall off late PoP into Gates and Beyond.

Mischief: If you left EQ because you didnt like GoD and wanted to skip it, now is the good time to jump in on mischief with some caveats. Its just finishing the story arc from GoD and settling into a level 70 cap. DoN just opened, but is not one of the lauded expansions. It does however have progression which is a pain to do later and which if you want to play long term you kind of want to have done, so here would be a good time and place to wrap that up, with the knowledge that PoR is kind of a snooze fest. On Aradune we saw a ton of guilds merge out and whimper away in this era. But you can also suit a character to the nines off a few krono here. It will be costlier to do that on other servers.

Aradune: Mischief had a compressed early release schedule. Aradune sits about six months or three expansions after where mischief is currently. Normal loot rules. Server gimmick is Supposed to be a two box limit. People go over that but there has been a rash of targeted reporting and enforcement so people are cagey about it and you're safer sticking to two if you do box. Boxing two is almost a necessity unless you're in one of the zerg guilds that took a lot of merges. Aradune just exited the level 70 doldrums that mischief is just now entering.

The server is top heavy, but the activity at the top is fairly robust. People are leveling alts constantly but its more of a speed run to catch up gearing affair than it is a classic leveling experience. There are community pick up raids and somewhere in the range of five to ten guilds clearing end game content, at least three of those w/ heavy splitting. Its definitely an aging server but for the moment its aging gracefully. The climb to the end game would be steep but its exiting the middle era of the game and the level increases recur w/ greater frequency. So if you wanted to skip the older parts of the game and the slower parts of the middle, Aradune is where you'd try to land.

Anyways I burn my time on Aradune. If the other options don't fit the bill, I plan to powerlevel another character sometime in the middle future if you wanted a tail wind. I will say that on Aradune they just entered The Serpent's Spine, which was designed in a sense to allow people to engage EQ from level 1 to 75 w/out having to touch any of the old content. People aren't xping in the lowbie zones, but its sort of a reset expansion for the game.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

With Velious just around the corner, anything an Enchanter should grab while we're still in Kunark that becomes unavailable or will get significantly more expensive later on?

Ring of Stealthy Travel is usually farmed and sold the hardest during kunark. You can often get somebody to part with it for one krono and let me tell you that is money well spent with the absurdly low % spawn rate that named has.

I’d say Goblin Gazughi Ring too but that poo poo is always too expensive at all times/expansions.

Also not sure when the fungi staff switches to the nerfed version but it’s worth farming one if it’s still possible. It’s not very useful at 60 because health regen potions are extremely strong and cheap. Great for twinks though.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Anyone on Yelinak have any opinion on either of the 2 euro timezone guilds - dayraiders and darkwind ? I'm out of the loop on this server so no idea which if either is worth joining.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
relatedly, any good guilds for casuals? I'm 48 on my main now and might be a decent time to join a guild.

My untagged alt had a miserable run-in with one of the regular raiders from my most recent guild who was dominating Unrest and being a complete rear end about pulling the entire zone for his PLs. Maybe he would've been friendlier had I been tagged but that was enough to make me /guildremove myself. Not all that interested in drama over pixels that comes from those types.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Sleeper's up on Yelinak - Without Regret with 23 people. Guess I'll never see that mob haha

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i want a tlp where the goal is to zerg the sleeper to death, just turn off his in-combat hp regen and put his rampage on a loop

once he dies everyone gets a /claim mount that looks like one of those janky crystal gargoyles and the server unceremoniously shuts down

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

diapermeat posted:

Sleeper's up on Yelinak - Without Regret with 23 people. Guess I'll never see that mob haha

It's been... A day?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It's been... A day?

Opened at 2pm PST, downed at like 2:20am

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Like this is why content went time gated and instanced. People were paying other guilds 20kr for Sleeper keys just so they can block the instance on the server from everyone else. We also got to see box armies of 18 + monks selling loot rights and god knows what else on opening night.

Will they fix this poo poo and give a pre-sleeper DZ for like the first month? O hell no, this is engaging content the way it was meant to be played...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

PyRosflam posted:

Like this is why content went time gated and instanced. People were paying other guilds 20kr for Sleeper keys just so they can block the instance on the server from everyone else. We also got to see box armies of 18 + monks selling loot rights and god knows what else on opening night.

Will they fix this poo poo and give a pre-sleeper DZ for like the first month? O hell no, this is engaging content the way it was meant to be played...

Pure, distilled, drama is the true purpose of Sleeper

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
essentially ran out of steam by the time Velious dropped, but nearing 50 on Yelinak and finally got a Ceremonial Iksar Bp for my Shaman :toot:

grinding in Kael now with my static group (NEC, MNK and my SHM+CLR box), it's going okay but definitely feeling the slog.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

kael is pretty slow xp even in the best case. Velks is the place to be for 50-60 xp grind. Dragon Necropolis rats can be decent too, but velks is just overwhelmingly good in every way that matters.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

cmdrk posted:

essentially ran out of steam by the time Velious dropped, but nearing 50 on Yelinak and finally got a Ceremonial Iksar Bp for my Shaman :toot:

grinding in Kael now with my static group (NEC, MNK and my SHM+CLR box), it's going okay but definitely feeling the slog.

100% move to Velks for exp. I was grinding out some gems in Upper Dogs area, I netted 30-40% exp into 60 in 3 hours with just me boxing a monk/cleric/bard.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Where are the EQ live servers physically located? The latency I am seeing in-game seems abnormally high, like 110ms+, whereas "normal" for me in other games is probably in the mid 30ms range.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sand Monster posted:

Where are the EQ live servers physically located? The latency I am seeing in-game seems abnormally high, like 110ms+, whereas "normal" for me in other games is probably in the mid 30ms range.

They used to be in San Diego in the SOE days, but not sure where they are now.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Have been told their servers are in Las Vegas but not sure how to confirm.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Yiggy posted:

Have been told their servers are in Las Vegas but not sure how to confirm.
The servers moved to Vegas when they virtualized the world servers, afair.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yelinak question

Why is it that it seems like grouping completely died like a month into Kunark? Before that I could put an LFG tag up on my Shaman and I’d get at least 5 invites within 10 mins or so.

After that I have had an LFG tag up for dozens of hours and maybe gotten a handful of invites.

Is it just everyone at this point is strictly boxing?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

RCarr posted:

Yelinak question

Why is it that it seems like grouping completely died like a month into Kunark? Before that I could put an LFG tag up on my Shaman and I’d get at least 5 invites within 10 mins or so.

After that I have had an LFG tag up for dozens of hours and maybe gotten a handful of invites.

Is it just everyone at this point is strictly boxing?

Once you hit level cap and get your VP key, there isn't much point in exping outside of working on Epics which you are most likely going to do with friends.

Grouping becomes stagnant until AA's come in with Luclin.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Can you buy finished epics on Mischief? Was thinking about rolling a monk and dumping banked krono I have for some fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Epics aren't tradable but often the major items needed for them are, for example you can buy the pipes for the monk epic.. still need to go do all the fights n stuff tho