Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think you need the screen to light up with a brake light indication but I do think the manufacturers generally haven’t communicated how brake lights work with regen braking. Brake lights are such an important signal on the roads and I think they could probably be speaking more to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elviscat posted:

*cries in Leaf owner*

I don't even get one bubble when it's cold out these days

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think you need the screen to light up with a brake light indication but I do think the manufacturers generally haven’t communicated how brake lights work with regen braking. Brake lights are such an important signal on the roads and I think they could probably be speaking more to it.

On my Bolt, it was listed in the manual.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
One of the first things I asked during my test drive of my 3 over 3 years ago was if the lights came on while regen braking. Guy said yes they come on if the decrease in speed is over 5% of the current speed. Or something like that.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I just want the brake lights to stay on when I've regened to a complete stop.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
You could press the brake while stopped.

I think the most mind-boggling thing about EVs is reflecting on just how absurdly energy-dense fossil fuels are, and how inefficient burning it to drive is.

If you have a thirsty EV that gulps say 42 kWh to go 100 miles, that's roughly equivalent to 1.25 gallons of gas (1 gallon of gas is comparable to 33.7 kWh).

Granted, there are some losses in charging from the grid and generating power to begin with, but the above is a very inefficient 80 MPGe.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

McPhearson posted:

I just want the brake lights to stay on when I've regened to a complete stop.

All modern Teslas do this, and I'd assumed most other manufacturers with single pedal driving did it too. It actually engages the brakes once you're at a complete stop, presumably a safety thing in case you get rear ended.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Brake lights are on when stopped via one pedal regen on everything except... early unpatched Bolts I think?

I like that the Model 3 clearly shows a brake holding icon when you firmly stop, so you can just chill both feet off pedals waiting at a red. The friction brakes also close when stopped in case of being rear ended.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, any Tesla in "hold" mode will apply the friction brakes at a stop and also keep the brake lights illuminated the whole time. They automatically blend over to the friction brakes below 5 MPH because regen stops working about at that speed. And in the latest software Teslas will even blend in the friction brakes at all speeds for consistent single pedal driving if regen is limited for some reason (typically full or cold battery).

The only significant difference is if you creep forward really slowly the brake lights will go out while you are doing it, where as an ICE car with an automatic transmission can creep forward without fully releasing the brake or turning off the brake lights.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

That does not happen in the i3. The brake lights will be on right until the moment the car stops moving. And one pedal driving is the only available mode.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

And in the latest software Teslas will even blend in the friction brakes at all speeds for consistent single pedal driving if regen is limited for some reason (typically full or cold battery).

What software version is this feature on? because it definitely does not do it for my M3. Everytime I charge up to 100% for a road trip i get a rude awakening at the first few stops.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Who loving cares if the brake lights are on, just drive forward you dingus

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Who loving cares if the brake lights are on, just drive forward you dingus

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've almost rear-ended Tesla's that crawl while one foot braking with no brake lights.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’m sorry you’re a bad driver.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

I've almost rear-ended Tesla's that crawl while one foot braking with no brake lights.

Do you really need brake lights to tell you that there's a car in front of you, though? Like what do you do if you encounter a parked car in the lane, presumably you don't just smash into it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Do you really need brake lights to tell you that there's a car in front of you, though? Like what do you do if you encounter a parked car in the lane, presumably you don't just smash into it?

Turns out brakes lights are completely useless and they're federally mandated for no reason whatsoever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

White noise shitposting aside, they're very useful for signaling to the car behind you that you're reducing speed :shrug:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My LiveWire turns the brake lights on when I roll off the throttle, I.E regen brake.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hell of a trick for a bottle of Mtn Dew

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Seriously, wrestling programs from the late 90s really tried everything to get attention, didn't they?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

You dont need brake lights if you never lift :rice:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Deteriorata posted:

Turns out brakes lights are completely useless and they're federally mandated for no reason whatsoever.

Brake lights are great but if you need them to not hit the car ahead of you that is “crawling forward” then you’re not paying attention to the road.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Brake lights are great but if you need them to not hit the car ahead of you that is “crawling forward” then you’re not paying attention to the road.

Yeah, gas powered cars that are idling forward also wouldn't have their brake lights on.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
What I really hate is the trend toward not having dedicated turning signal lights and instead just having the brake light flash. This is super irritating when travelling in the HOV lane because when traffic is heavy you can only see the left side of the car and thus can't tell if someone is braking on and off or planning to change lanes out in front of you. Thank you for listening to this very important issue that surely affects many EV owners since we often get to travel in HOV lanes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's even more stupid when you realise separate turn signals are mandated in most of the world so any manufacturer that combines them with the brake lights has gone out of their way to make things worse for the North American market.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just want Polestar to turn on my fancy pixel high-beams that just got legalized in the US

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I just want Polestar to turn on my fancy pixel high-beams that just got legalized in the US

Annoying that your car has them and you can't use them - they're totally fine here but due to part shortages they're not shipping with them at the moment anyway.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

lostleaf posted:

What software version is this feature on? because it definitely does not do it for my M3. Everytime I charge up to 100% for a road trip i get a rude awakening at the first few stops.

It’s one of the newer ones, like 2022.20 or 2022.24

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lol we just go to our vacation hotel that advertised EV charging and it turns out all they have is a 15amp outlet. Other hotels have Tesla destination chargers but we’re not allowed to use them without being guests. No DC fast chargers within an hour.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lol we just go to our vacation hotel that advertised EV charging and it turns out all they have is a 15amp outlet. Other hotels have Tesla destination chargers but we’re not allowed to use them without being guests. No DC fast chargers within an hour.

If you have at least 30 miles left in the battery even a standard wall outlet will get you a good 50 additional miles by the time you leave in the morning. Or you could cancel your reservation and go to one of the other hotels with a proper destination charger.

Lastly check plug share and a better route planner to see if there is any other public L2 nearby, an hour at one while you have a sit down breakfast can make a world of difference (especially in combination with the overnight L1).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah we’re gonna try going Karen a bit and see if we can book another hotel. We called up the Hilton support for this one and the lady said they “were aware of the issue and had reported it several months ago.” There’s a 7kW public charger a few miles away so we can use that but we didn’t exactly want to spend several hours at an outlet mall on our first night here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

I wonder if their charger was listed in PlugShare. Still, pretty funny in a technically correct way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We switched to a nicer, way cheaper hotel with a Tesla charger but it’s not working with my J1772 adapter so I guess we’re hanging out at the outlets for a while. Still came out ahead, I guess. Kind of crazy that a vacation spot like Myrtle Beach has so little charging infrastructure.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

dissss posted:

It's even more stupid when you realise separate turn signals are mandated in most of the world so any manufacturer that combines them with the brake lights has gone out of their way to make things worse for the North American market.

:same:

In fact, I've gone so far as to find international-market tail lights for an Ioniq 5 but it's $800 for the whole unit plus $200 shipping and 2 weeks to ship.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275313503841?hash=item4019f6ae61:g:wYUAAOSw~rxigbM8

Not to mention that I would have to hope that the wiring harness still has the wiring for the turn signals (I would assume that since the Ioniq 5 is manufactured in South Korea that they wouldn't bother making a USDM-specifc wiring harness but dumber things have happened) otherwise I'll need to run additional wires for the turn signals. There's also the issue of re-wiring or reprogramming everything to utilize the different tail lights. With relays, I imagine it would be trivial but CANBUS adds a whole additional layer of complexity and that's assuming the firmware isn't locked and encrypted. I suppose it may be possible to use conventional relays to piggyback off the front turn signals and center brake light to get the signals I need but it will be a kludge. Between that and the price (plus a 2-ish week lead time if I needed to replace it), it would be something I would need to think long and hard to be considered worth doing. Of course, I would need an Ioniq 5 in the first place. :haw:

I'm also considering a similar hack for a Bolt/EUV except I'm not aware of any other markets they've been released in where they have to have dedicated rear turn signals. I think there is supposed to be a turn signal in the upper/hatch light cluster that's supposed to mimic the upper light cluster on the front which acts as the DRL and turn signal. With any luck, the turn signal bulb mount is present but unused and uses some kind of standard bulb. There's still the issue of rewiring everything to use the rear turn signal and trying to work around CANBUS. Or I could just say gently caress it and search for a pre-facelift Bolt.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Do I have this correct?

- New rules regarding final assembly and $55,000 cap for EV tax credit take effect Jan 1
- Sourcing requirements for batteries don't take effect till 2024
- Therefore, if Model 3 LR price drops below $55k when Tesla starts taking orders again in 2023, it will be eligible for federal tax credit

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Do I have this correct?

- New rules regarding final assembly and $55,000 cap for EV tax credit take effect Jan 1
- Therefore, if Model 3 LR price drops below $55k when Tesla starts taking orders again in 2023, it will be eligible for federal tax credit

No.

Final assembly requirements are in place now

Sourcing requirements begin in 2023, for half of credit. Battery assembly requirements also kick in 1/1/23 for other half

I don’t know when the pricing rules kick in

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
MG4 sounds like a decent EV option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwpMJnz6NsM

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Do I have this correct?

I’m very curious if the M3LR will drop below 55k as well and whether the Tesla site will reflect the credit on their build / checkout pages. Otherwise I’m seriously eyeing a M3 base model for 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I’m very curious if the M3LR will drop below 55k as well and whether the Tesla site will reflect the credit on their build / checkout pages. Otherwise I’m seriously eyeing a M3 base model for 2023.

That's a pretty big change in direction. The base M3 is $72k nowadays.