Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Chemmy posted:

Chinois? China cap?

I had never heard of these words before today, but how very French. Cheers, I'm looking into them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I had never heard of these words before today, but how very French. Cheers, I'm looking into them now.

Many american suppliers will call them Boullion Strainers

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
The oven in my parents' Whirlpool range has been on the Fritz for the longest time now. It works great sometimes, but then other times it'll just stop igniting in the middle of a bake.

When it's acting up, the gas turns on and the electronic ignition clicks a few times, but it never ignites and the gas turns off.

Today, I tried using the oven without the burner cover, leaving the heat shield in place, and the gas ignites on the first click.

I guess the cover is limiting the amount of oxygen to the burner? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Pro-tip: you can use a 2-oz ladle to help pass stuff through a chinois quickly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m too cheap to get a chinois so I use a strainer and press it with a utensil

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

The oven in my parents' Whirlpool range has been on the Fritz for the longest time now. It works great sometimes, but then other times it'll just stop igniting in the middle of a bake.

When it's acting up, the gas turns on and the electronic ignition clicks a few times, but it never ignites and the gas turns off.

Today, I tried using the oven without the burner cover, leaving the heat shield in place, and the gas ignites on the first click.

I guess the cover is limiting the amount of oxygen to the burner? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I've seen ranges where the burner cover thing (in the center of the gas outlet for the stove right?) could cover one or more gas outlets if not positioned correctly. Maybe the burner cover from another stove position got mixed up and they're both on the wrong ones, interfering with the gas outlet where the ignitor is?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm trolling through Goodwill's auction site and I have the option between a Jamba Juice blender to bid on, or a Breville BBL620SIL. I know Jamba Juice blenders are from Blendtec, but that's about it. This Jamba Juice blender's page doesn't go into enough detail about it.

Which should I get? Either will be somewhat of a gamble considering the source, but I'm not sure which I should double-down on.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm trolling through Goodwill's auction site and I have the option between a Jamba Juice blender to bid on, or a Breville BBL620SIL. I know Jamba Juice blenders are from Blendtec, but that's about it. This Jamba Juice blender's page doesn't go into enough detail about it.

Which should I get? Either will be somewhat of a gamble considering the source, but I'm not sure which I should double-down on.

Are there photos of the Jamba Juice blender? A lot of the smoothie shops in my area have a model with a plastic cover that goes over the entire blender jar, which seems like it would be annoying. The only other thing I can think of is that parts may be more available for the Blendtec/Jamba Juice one, since it will likely be a commercial model and most places will want to repair them.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There are some photos for it, sure.
https://shopgoodwill.com/item/150815496

I recently noticed that the Jamba one is 4 cups and the Breville is 8. But is 4 cups really that little?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Were it me, I would look at the Breville. Half the appeal of Jamba Juice blenders to me is those hoods that deaden the sound.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That Old Ganon posted:

There are some photos for it, sure.
https://shopgoodwill.com/item/150815496

I recently noticed that the Jamba one is 4 cups and the Breville is 8. But is 4 cups really that little?

I would get the Breville. 4 cups means pureeing any kind of soup would have to be done in multiple batches, which would get annoying fast if you're making it for more than 1 person.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I've seen ranges where the burner cover thing (in the center of the gas outlet for the stove right?) could cover one or more gas outlets if not positioned correctly. Maybe the burner cover from another stove position got mixed up and they're both on the wrong ones, interfering with the gas outlet where the ignitor is?

Sorry, should have mentioned that its specifically the oven burner and ignition. The range burners work fine.

I ended up taking the ignition out and scrubbing the electrode and grounding point with a wire brush to it to get any oxidation and gunk off and it seems to be working fine now. Lights up on the first click of the relay.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Breville it is! Thanks, friends.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been trying to figure this out on my own, but I'm coming up blank. Does anyone know if there's a large griddle that would work on an induction cooktop? I'm basically looking to get a plancha-type setup and it would be ideal if I could just use my stovetop. Thanks goons.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been trying to figure this out on my own, but I'm coming up blank. Does anyone know if there's a large griddle that would work on an induction cooktop? I'm basically looking to get a plancha-type setup and it would be ideal if I could just use my stovetop. Thanks goons.

Maybe this guy?

There may be cheaper options, I just searched for "induction griddle plate"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Maybe this guy?

There may be cheaper options, I just searched for "induction griddle plate"

I don't mind the cost. That one is interesting. It says several times in the description that it's not induction compatible, but the sole entry in the Q&A says it is. Might be worth a try. I was looking for something but bigger, but that's certainly not super small.

Thank you! Might be worth trying out.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 6, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lodge has a big cast iron griddle that should work on an induction top.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I love my gas stove, but I lived with family for a minute and grew to love their induction stovetop. And convection oven.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't mind the cost. That one is interesting. It says several times in the description that it's not induction compatible, but the sole entry in the Q&A says it is. Might be worth a try. I was looking for something but bigger, but that's certainly not super small.

Thank you! Might be worth trying out.

Plenty of other options and I'm guessing at least one will be induction compatible. I think your biggest issue with any plancha on an induction cooktop is going to be that you'll have hot and cold spots - unless the entire cooktop is induction, of course.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I love my gas stove, but I lived with family for a minute and grew to love their induction stovetop. And convection oven.

I have had a convection oven for ~6 months or so now and I'm never sure when I should be using it in convection mode. To me I'd think that using it in that way is going to make the outsides of things cook faster and perhaps leave the insides less cooked than I would expect. When should I be using it?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

VelociBacon posted:

I have had a convection oven for ~6 months or so now and I'm never sure when I should be using it in convection mode. To me I'd think that using it in that way is going to make the outsides of things cook faster and perhaps leave the insides less cooked than I would expect. When should I be using it?
Whenever you want anything to be dry on the outside. Many vegetables, most tubers, most meat.

It's just plain good, it's rare that it's not something I want to use.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 6, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Lodge has a big cast iron griddle that should work on an induction top.

I think you might be referring to the one linked. Sounds like I should give it a try!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I went from electric, then to gas for a year, then to induction and I really love the induction. Super responsive, safer, easy to keep clean. It took some getting used to, but so much nicer. First time with a convection oven (two of them:aaaaa:), as well, and I love it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Plenty of other options and I'm guessing at least one will be induction compatible. I think your biggest issue with any plancha on an induction cooktop is going to be that you'll have hot and cold spots - unless the entire cooktop is induction, of course.

Yeah, that's one thing I was worried about. The stovetop I have has the burners pretty close together, so I was hoping it would do okay and the heat would just radiate across, but you're right it's definitely going to have hot and cold spots.

Guess I'll just have to try! Thank you all for the responses.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No Wave posted:

Whenever you want anything to be dry on the outside. Many vegetables, most tubers, most meat.

It's just plain good, it's rare that it's not something I want to use.

Thanks, do you adjust cooking time or just enjoy a better exterior? Say, for a roast. I get that you're kinda going halfway towards air fryer type of results and for something like squash or similar I could imagine it being fantastic, just inexperienced when it comes to cooking animal protein with it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

PolishPandaBear posted:

Sorry, should have mentioned that its specifically the oven burner and ignition. The range burners work fine.

I ended up taking the ignition out and scrubbing the electrode and grounding point with a wire brush to it to get any oxidation and gunk off and it seems to be working fine now. Lights up on the first click of the relay.

My whirlpool oven started doing the same thing last fall. I just replaced the igniter like-for-like from a local appliance parts store for $60 or so and the oven hasn’t had a problem igniting since. I didn’t even bother cleaning up the original in my case, since it wasn’t sparking at all when I was observing it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, do you adjust cooking time or just enjoy a better exterior? Say, for a roast. I get that you're kinda going halfway towards air fryer type of results and for something like squash or similar I could imagine it being fantastic, just inexperienced when it comes to cooking animal protein with it.

Only time you turn off convection really is cookies. Everything else, it highly depends on your oven's particulars but common wisdom is cut the temp 25°F and start checking 25% early.

If you have a probe thermometer that's the best way to be sure - just make sure your meat internal temperatures are the yummy temp not the FDA "0 bacteria but also 0 remaining moisture" temperatures.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Only time you turn off convection really is cookies. Everything else, it highly depends on your oven's particulars but common wisdom is cut the temp 25°F and start checking 25% early.

Yeah this is the way for a convection oven

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

If you have a probe thermometer that's the best way to be sure - just make sure your meat internal temperatures are the yummy temp not the FDA "0 bacteria but also 0 remaining moisture" temperatures.

Really love this kind of heuristic. Okay great, I'll have to start experimenting with it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wait, why not for cookies?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend strainers online that are 1) all metal 2) relatively tight screened

All the ones I see at discount stores have screens like chain link fences

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

AnonSpore posted:

Wait, why not for cookies?

Same reason it's bad* for cakes, souffles, custards, and quick breads. The air circulation makes the outside cook before the inside gets heated through. If you take a standard cookie recipe and put it in a convection oven at the same temperature, it won't spread as much, the edges and top will be browner, and the center won't be done before the edges are threatening to burn. A quick bread will have the outer surfaces set before the inside can rise properly.

*without proper adjustment.

Now I really want to make cookies and it's like a billion degrees outside so I can't.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone recommend strainers online that are 1) all metal 2) relatively tight screened

Skimmers here.

Strainers here.

Not sure what you're doing with it, but something on one of those two pages should be fine - especially if you pick a fine mesh option.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Sounds like you want a chinois? Usually the first place I check for that kind of “metal, but doesn’t need to cost $25 at Target” utensil is the big Asian grocery nearby with a restaurant supply aisle. I think most of my handheld strainers are from there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
No I’m looking for a round strainer

I found out there’s a rating for fine mesh strainers (30 mesh) and coarse strainers (20 mesh) so I guess I’ll shop for that

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Someone mentioned an oven cleaner a few pages back, I can’t seem to find it, but my oven is a dirty mother fucker right now. What’s the go to cleaner?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I use Easy Off

If you’re sensitive to fumes use the blue one

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Someone mentioned an oven cleaner a few pages back, I can’t seem to find it, but my oven is a dirty mother fucker right now. What’s the go to cleaner?

Does your oven not have a self clean feature?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My parent's dishwasher is on its last leg so I figured I'd get a new dish washer and give them the two year old one that came with my house when I bought it as a way to get them a newer dishwasher without it being such an obvious gift.

What should I look for in a dishwasher?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

captkirk posted:

My parent's dishwasher is on its last leg so I figured I'd get a new dish washer and give them the two year old one that came with my house when I bought it as a way to get them a newer dishwasher without it being such an obvious gift.

From everything I've heard, the brand name "Bosch" - every single person I know who owns one loves it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

captkirk posted:

The name "Bosch".

I guess I don't know if there are other high-end brands that are as good, but my crap-rear end, decades-old dishwasher gave out in the middle of the pandemic and I had to wait months for a Bosch 500 to become available and it's by far the best dishwasher I've ever owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah another vote for Bosch here.