Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The lesson here is that FFVIII's combat is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I love FF8. Back when FF8 originally came out, I had just broken my leg, so I played it through like three times. I love it in the same way I love Morrowind, sure there's jank, but system mastery is so much fun.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

so are tidus and wakka gay and in love or not

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellioning posted:

wrong

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jazerus posted:

so are tidus and wakka gay and in love or not

not not not

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
if you play the game well tidus and wakka kiss at the end. not surprising people in here don't know that though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hellioning posted:

And IX's is the best of the PS1 games.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

And IX's is the best of the PS1 games.

Well only if you don't count FFT. Then again FFT is in a league of its own, it'd be unfair to compare IX to it. Just like how you wouldn't compare the best basketball player at your high school to LeBron James or Michael Jordan. So in that sense, yeah, IX has the best combat of the PS1 games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I think the standout thing to me regarding FF8 is that I have memories of playing the demo years ago, which I think was my only exposure to the franchise aside from FF1 on the NES. I was never able to finish it, though. I only ever managed to make it to the fight with Elvoret (the bat thing on top of the radio tower) and I would constantly die there.

I read Cool Ghost's LP of it a couple years ago, and it changed my opinion of the game to something much more positive. The combat/junction/card-mod system also seems like the kind of thing where you can get super-powerful if you know how to exploit it.

My goal of late has been trying to finish some games in my backlog to justify getting back into Final Fantasy 14, and playing through FF7 is part of that, but when I'm done with 7, I'll start FF8.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FF8 mechanically is very open but also largely pointless to engage with so it's bad.
Similarly the narrative is constantly shifting what it's trying to be and its tone and it's grasping for some neat poo poo but it misses almost every grasp it makes.

But the setting....the setting is....also very bad but it has some really interesting ideas that go largely underutilized in the actual writing.

I can't even say the whole things worse than the sum of its parts because I don't think those parts ever really sum up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FF8 is just a batshit fever dream in every aspect and that’s why it will always be one of my favorites.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
People might be tempted to say FF8 is incongruous but its maybe the most congruous game of the series, or maybe ever. It is so entirely self consistent is doesn't care if you don't understand the junction tutorials. Motorcycle ramps on sky fortesses are also incredibly obvious within the world building. And also time kompression did nothing wrong.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
final fantasy 8, where radios are witches, the moon is monsters, aliens are real, the north pole is the future and your school is a hovercraft

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

final fantasy 8, where radios are witches, the moon is monsters, aliens are real, the north pole is the future and your school is a hovercraft

ff8 was a documentary

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have a very high opinion of FF8s narrative and setting, but it's one of the rare RPGs that's legitimately brought down by it's plot.

(Rare because rpg plots tend to be inconsequential enough that bad plots aren't a hindrance.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah it owns

I can't claim to be a fan of FFVIII. But even if it's not one of my favorites, I can't help but be really charmed by it

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That train sequence was kind of a pain because of the button sequences, felt weird to do on a keyboard. Would've been better if it was arrow keys.

But, I have defeated President Evil.

I agree that the Junction system is kinda weird and the setting is bizarre but I love weird poo poo so this is very much My Jam so far

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's also kinda weird that you can pick three of four actions to use during combat and one of those is "use items"

Like "Look, buddy, I can summon my spiritually-fused pokemon, siphon magic, and use magic, but you want me to do all that AND be able to drink potions? Slow your roll, chief. Have someone feed 'em to me, I can't be bothered"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

It's also kinda weird that you can pick three of four actions to use during combat and one of those is "use items"

Like "Look, buddy, I can summon my spiritually-fused pokemon, siphon magic, and use magic, but you want me to do all that AND be able to drink potions? Slow your roll, chief. Have someone feed 'em to me, I can't be bothered"

I interpret that as the GF literally taking up the brainspace where you remember how to drink a potion.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol at GFs taking up so much processing power that you forget basic bodily functions like eating

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
So SeeDs are basically Pokemon.

... that tracks. Squall's a Whatever, I can buy it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MagusofStars posted:

They also recover HP very slowly through like walking around - not really enough to count on if you're regularly using them to tank, but it does help a little if they take a hit here or there.

But there's a quirky interaction to using GF's to tank hits: The more you summon them, the higher your compatibility goes, and the summon casts faster...and they have less time to tank hits for you. So ironically, the more you summon them to tank hits, the less effective they get at it.

Yeah, it's not really something worth worrying about. Every GF learns exactly the same number of abilities as they can have maximum. So it only comes into play if you use an item to teach a GF an ability that it wouldn't naturally learn - but this can be easily countered by spending a few thousand gold to forget the basic commands of Item / Draw / Magic / GF which are duplicated on every single GF.
GFs also have this thing where using one will make the others take longer to cast and you can get several of them angry at you for playing favorites.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

GFs also have this thing where using one will make the others take longer to cast and you can get several of them angry at you for playing favorites.

Oh am I going to have to play this weird chocobo minigame if I want to see the only Moogle in FFVIII? I just noticed it on the launcher

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the devs were thinking having to make Item take up a slot in your movelist. In FF7, you still have the option to use items just in case you forgot to equip some Materia, so FF8 feels like a weird QoL downgrade. There's also the fact that GFs have some nifty skills but you'll hardly get to use them because of the limit in the movelist.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It's a way to force you to pick & choose, you can't always do everything like FF7. I like it.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I have been playing 8 for 43 hours and just worked out that having more stacks of a magic spell im junctioning makes the junction more powerful

How ? what ?
am i really this dumb?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kullik posted:

I have been playing 8 for 43 hours and just worked out that having more stacks of a magic spell im junctioning makes the junction more powerful

How ? what ?
am i really this dumb?

What does your heart tell you (in very simple words.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I'm sorry.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Kullik posted:

How ? what ?
am i really this dumb?

GF stole your brainmeats

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like FF8's mechanics can be described as a bunch of weird and interesting ideas in isolation, that were implemented with no consideration for each other or how you might have to design base game mechanics around them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hellioning posted:

The lesson here is that FFVIII is bad.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm only half joking though. FF8 is the only main numbered FF game that I gave up on in the middle. And I even broke it over my knee early by staying low level and grinding fish at the beach to turn them into cards, and then getting the ability to turn items into junction points, then buying tents and maxing out my team's HP, and then turning off random encounters, and then just breezing through the story. The combat then became really easy although still kinda fun, but my problems came from all the plot/story padding

The biggest offender is when you take Rinoa back to Balamb Garden and you're forced to give her a tour of the place before you can advance the plot. Literally reusing assets to walk her all over the place and pad play time. Then you have to do something similar when you get to Trabia and you wander around and see the hockey team practicing or wherever that was. Even with random encounters turned off the game just has so much forced wandering around (the Laguna flashbacks too) that I just got frustrated and stopped playing. And I just don't care for any of the main characters except Selphie because she's funny. Everyone else is an annoying high school kid. Maybe it's because my first playthrough attempt was right after the Remaster on Steam came out and I was in my early 40s. I can't relate to any of these characters and I don't want to be forced to run around to pad out play time even if the goal is to try to develop characters. I do not care about the love story between the brooding introverted hot guy and the manic pixie dream girl love interest

Oh and then there's all the stuff about child soldiers which is extremely hosed up and I don't think anyone in the game ever really calls it out and says it's hosed up. Also Cid is married to Edea? For reasons? And they never really hang out or get together? Because???

One of these days I'll force myself to get all the way through it because it's one of the only main numbered non-MMO FF games I haven't beaten yet (FF3 is the other) and I figure I might as well beat them all at some point

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I used to rate FFIX as my least favorite of the PSX FFs growing up and now in hindsight I have no idea why. The characters are interesting and the world absolutely thrums with life. The cities feel so lived in. Like in Lindblum, you personally only traverse a part of the huge city and there are npcs everywhere. So much little detail.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SettingSun posted:

I used to rate FFIX as my least favorite of the PSX FFs growing up and now in hindsight I have no idea why. The characters are interesting and the world absolutely thrums with life. The cities feel so lived in. Like in Lindblum, you personally only traverse a part of the huge city and there are npcs everywhere. So much little detail.

I wonder if it might've been a maturity thing. I definitely feel like IX is the odd duck among the PSX FFs in that the other two feel almost self-consciously 'cool', especially for teens and younger adults in that era, while IX... well, IX is a Disney movie that goes for sixty hours and four discs. It knows what it wants to be and is mostly great at being that, but I can definitely imagine someone especially at the time playing it after VII and VIII and going 'what's this kiddy poo poo'.

EDIT: Hell, even I probably would've had that, because a big reason I liked Final Fantasy growing up was because it was an RPG that didn't feel like it was talking down to me in either gameplay or story. IX's far from an immature story, it's got a lot of thoughts about subjects like death and legacy, but it's coated in a lot of characters and aesthetics that feel like it's aiming for a younger audience.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 6, 2022

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Because it can be a real slog to play. Never underestimate how it feels to play a game reflect on how much you enjoy it. In a lot of ways, FF IX is one of the best Final Fantasies around but everything about the game is so slow and it can really grate when you sit down and it takes an hour to get anything of not done between slow fights, slow movement, long load times, seeing all the little side stories that go on 'out of view'and how much slog filler there is when you get to a location you need to do to advance the plot. Sometimes you don't want to sit down and experience a game, sometimes you want to sit down and play a goddamn video game, and when that's what you're in the mood for, holy gently caress Final Fantasy IX is not what you're looking for.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Locke posted:

Because it can be a real slog to play. Never underestimate how it feels to play a game reflect on how much you enjoy it. In a lot of ways, FF IX is one of the best Final Fantasies around but everything about the game is so slow and it can really grate when you sit down and it takes an hour to get anything of not done between slow fights, slow movement, long load times, seeing all the little side stories that go on 'out of view'and how much slog filler there is when you get to a location you need to do to advance the plot. Sometimes you don't want to sit down and experience a game, sometimes you want to sit down and play a goddamn video game, and when that's what you're in the mood for, holy gently caress Final Fantasy IX is not what you're looking for.

You're right, ff9 is for cool chill fun times.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mr. Locke posted:

None of this is wrong but it's all solved by the Moguri Mod on PC

I would have absolutely hated FF9 if it weren't for that mod. I liked most of the characters and the setting and the story (most of it anyway) but I would not have been able to deal with the slow combat for the 50 hours I played, and that would have turned 50 hours into like 70 or something

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The rereleases that add speed-up options are both incredibly damning of the original designs and extremely welcome. I don't think I'll ever play 9 or 12 again without some kind of turbo function.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

None of this is wrong but it's all solved by the Moguri Mod on PC

Oh gently caress take cover everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ff8 was my fave ff before shadowbringers and remains my second fave