Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Is it even possible to get Shingrix in the US if you’re under 50? Maybe by an off-label Rx?

Based on what I’ve heard about having shingles, I’d love to get vaxxed for it. But I’m still in my 30s and don’t know that I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Is it even possible to get Shingrix in the US if you’re under 50? Maybe by an off-label Rx?

Based on what I’ve heard about having shingles, I’d love to get vaxxed for it. But I’m still in my 30s and don’t know that I can.

Yeah.

You have to get a doctor to prescribe it, and insurance probably won’t cover it, but it’s possible.

Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks out of pocket.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JeffLeonard posted:

Got the new Moderna booster + flu shot today.

gently caress Covid.

I don't like getting both at the same time because both my arms will be sore for a few days. Did you specifically choose Moderna? I always hear Pfizer has fewer side effects. I've got 3 Pfizer shots now and only had a mild headache.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Yeah.

You have to get a doctor to prescribe it, and insurance probably won’t cover it, but it’s possible.

Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks out of pocket.
Seems better than getting shingles…

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I got shingles at 37. Thankfully we have some pretty good anti-viral treatments for it now but lol that we all have to live with it because our parents decided letting chicken pox run wild was fine.

No lessons to be learned there...

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The reason they let it run wild is that if you get it for the first time as an adult it is much more dangerous. That also complicates vaccination because if only part of the population gets the vaccine then the portion of people who aren't vaccinated are more likely to get it as adults and you can end up in a worse overall situation. I'd call it a success that the US seems to have implemented vaccination such that that didn't happen--maybe that could have been done sooner but maybe not.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like getting both at the same time because both my arms will be sore for a few days. Did you specifically choose Moderna? I always hear Pfizer has fewer side effects. I've got 3 Pfizer shots now and only had a mild headache.

I got both in the same arm, not the one I sleep on.

This makes 5 shots for me, all Moderna. Never chose Moderna, it just worked out that way.

My side effects have always been pretty mild, usually just a day of headache & lethargy. So far so good.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Scarodactyl posted:

The reason they let it run wild is that if you get it for the first time as an adult it is much more dangerous. That also complicates vaccination because if only part of the population gets the vaccine then the portion of people who aren't vaccinated are more likely to get it as adults and you can end up in a worse overall situation. I'd call it a success that the US seems to have implemented vaccination such that that didn't happen--maybe that could have been done sooner but maybe not.

Yeah I think the answer is to continue childhood chickenpox vaccines and boost anyone who had wild chickenpox with shingrix at like loving 30 or regular intervals or whatever works

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cretin90 posted:

Weirdly specific question goons. I have to go to a national conference type meeting on Wednesday that will no doubt expose me to at least a bit of covid. (Everyone will be COVID tested immediately before the meeting via lovely RAT tests and I suspect 80%+ will be vaccinated.) Should I even bother getting the updated booster tomorrow or should I wait until after the conference when I’ve confirmed I didn’t catch anything (hopefully) and won’t be getting any additional risk for awhile? I would’ve much preferred to get this updated booster weeks ago but here we are.

I already booked for the 16th but could try to snipe one tomorrow morning.

In fewer words, should I wait until AFTER my very shortly upcoming large risk event to get it? Is there any reason to not get the updated shot just a couple of days before a fairly high risk event?

I would not change booster date unless you actually end up being covid positive on the 16th. the booster buff maxes out around 2-4 weeks after you get it. i don't know how the immune response actually scales between day 1 and max titers. i didn't look too hard, but I cannot find any trials on post-exposure prophylaxis with the mrna vaccines, just papers along the lines of https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8127950/. given the current incubation time of like 5 days i would not put stock on getting anything out of boosting right before you expect to get infected.

it sounds like you have/use N95s or equivalent so ideally if you keep your mask on while you're in shared air and nothing fails you will keep the covid out of your mucus membranes. if you have the temptation to not mask during the time that you are in shared air at a big conference, that is a ghost trying to trick you. don't listen to it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I wonder how much public money was spent on the EU covid vaccine passport. Does anyone know of an estimate?

And all based on a faulty assumption, that being vaccinated prevents you from being contagious...

I mean, I thought it was a really cool idea at the time, too, but it looks absolutely silly in retrospect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I wonder how much public money was spent on the EU covid vaccine passport. Does anyone know of an estimate?

And all based on a faulty assumption, that being vaccinated prevents you from being contagious...

I mean, I thought it was a really cool idea at the time, too, but it looks absolutely silly in retrospect.

Here in Australia we had a "covidsafe" app which would ping off other users and if a person tested positive and updated their status on the app it'd send an alert to everyone who'd been a 'close contact' so they knew they needed to go get tested. It cost $21 million and over the 2+ years it was running it only identified 17 close contacts who had not already been picked up by manual contact tracers and found 2 covid cases. That's a cool $10.5 million per case it successfully identified.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-10/covidsafe-app-scrapped-what-went-wrong/101317746

What a bargain!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I was gonna stick with Moderna because that's what I've always gotten but walgreens didn't have any Moderna so I decided to just go with Pfizer this time. I haven't had barely any side effects even with Moderna. But we'll see

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL you lucky ducks getting to choose, here in Australia we only just got provisional approval for the Moderna bivalent vax and the first shipment still won't arrive for another few weeks and it'll only be the BA.1 bivalent vax and not the BA.5 bivalent vax like in the US, even though cases in Australia at the moment are almost completely BA.5 with a little BA.4 and a tiny tiny amount of BA.2/BA.2.75 and BA.1 almost completely disappeared way back in April. There's no word on whether we'll be getting the BA.5 bivalent vax at all.

https://covariants.org/per-country
22B= BA.5
22A = BA.4
22D = BA.2.75
21L = BA.2

It'll still give increased protection against the current omicron subvariants so it's better than nothing, I guess. :shrug: I'll be first in line to get it and I'll be bugging all my friends and family to get it as well.

Here is Switzerland we're still on version 1.0 of the vaccines/boosters. The medical regulator recommended only last week that the Federal Office for Public Health should start the discussion on the bivalent vaccines. Our summer wave never really took off somehow so I'm expecting a lot of people to get sick when school starts up again. Looks like I'm going to get a fourth jab of the OG vax rather than wait for whatever discussions to happen and then navigate the gatekeeping bullshit that happens with every new treatment here.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Australia we had a "covidsafe" app which would ping off other users and if a person tested positive and updated their status on the app it'd send an alert to everyone who'd been a 'close contact' so they knew they needed to go get tested. It cost $21 million and over the 2+ years it was running it only identified 17 close contacts who had not already been picked up by manual contact tracers and found 2 covid cases. That's a cool $10.5 million per case it successfully identified.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-10/covidsafe-app-scrapped-what-went-wrong/101317746

What a bargain!

lol

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

I would not change booster date unless you actually end up being covid positive on the 16th. the booster buff maxes out around 2-4 weeks after you get it. i don't know how the immune response actually scales between day 1 and max titers. i didn't look too hard, but I cannot find any trials on post-exposure prophylaxis with the mrna vaccines, just papers along the lines of https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8127950/. given the current incubation time of like 5 days i would not put stock on getting anything out of boosting right before you expect to get infected.

it sounds like you have/use N95s or equivalent so ideally if you keep your mask on while you're in shared air and nothing fails you will keep the covid out of your mucus membranes. if you have the temptation to not mask during the time that you are in shared air at a big conference, that is a ghost trying to trick you. don't listen to it.

Thanks, appreciate the response. I believe the conference will actually be outdoors as well so it’s definitely not a sure thing that I will catch it…. Just a likely thing.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I’m currently at my in-laws in Montreal, and the city gives boosters to whoever wants one. Even if you’re not Canadian, like me. However, they give the old boosters, and I’ll get the new one, adapted to omicron in about a month or so in Belgium. Should I still get this one? I never got a second booster, Belgium opted to wait for the new ones. Or are these boosters too close to each other?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mrfart posted:

I’m currently at my in-laws in Montreal, and the city gives boosters to whoever wants one. Even if you’re not Canadian, like me. However, they give the old boosters, and I’ll get the new one, adapted to omicron in about a month or so in Belgium. Should I still get this one? I never got a second booster, Belgium opted to wait for the new ones. Or are these boosters too close to each other?

I’d get the American omicron booster if you can iirc the European omicron is for BA.1-2 which has pretty much disappeared. US is for BA.5 which is currently running rampant (but 2.75-76 is on the move).
They’re not even allowing the original booster in the US anymore. For the record, I was a mere 7 weeks out from my 4th booster when my kid gave me omicron.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

DickParasite posted:

I got shingles at 26 after a nasty bout of the flu. I recommend getting it ASAP.

My old boss got shingles at 34, and it developed into postherpetic neuralgia that—as far as I know—she still has 3 years later. It was really hosed up watching her be in constant pain to the point that she's fighting back tears sometimes. It ended her military career, and from what I can tell she's still in neverending pain.

Ever since I saw that, I've been pretty determined to get the shingles vax, and I don't give a gently caress if it's out-of-pocket.

Yes, this is like another case I posted in this thread, and it's depressing

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I'm about to turn 37 and I am very much considering trying to find a doctor who will prescribe me shingles vax, because I am gonna be out of work for a while in march/april no matter what and I am totally down to pay out of pocket and get hosed up by that thing (my boss and my dad had a bad time with it) while I'm getting UI.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Oracle posted:

I’d get the American omicron booster if you can iirc the European omicron is for BA.1-2 which has pretty much disappeared. US is for BA.5 which is currently running rampant (but 2.75-76 is on the move).
They’re not even allowing the original booster in the US anymore. For the record, I was a mere 7 weeks out from my 4th booster when my kid gave me omicron.

If I understood correctly, the one here in Montreal isn’t for omicron yet at all.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

mrfart posted:

If I understood correctly, the one here in Montreal isn’t for omicron yet at all.

Yeah, as far as I know, the earliest deliveries to Canada aren't expected until later this week.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mrfart posted:

He asked if he should get the (non omicron) 4th booster in Canada or wait til he got back to Belgium, which is doing its own BA.1 version of an omicron booster. I answered none of the above and to shoot for a BA.5 which far as I know is only available in America, which Montreal is not that far from so Is a realistic option.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I've seen 3M Aura N95 masks for sale at Home Depot I believe they are the ones that are generally recommended right? Are there different versions of the Aura? I have a 5 hour flight coming up later this month and I will take any recommendations on what N95 to wear for the entire duration of the trip.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yep, Aura's are good assuming they fit comfortably on your particular face. Go ahead and buy some and try wearing them for a few hours to see what you're in for. There are different versions but they're harder to find. One has woven nylon straps instead of rubber and another has an exhale valve though that one is tighter on the face for some reason.

I used to wear Auras all day at work but I ended up switching to the 3M VFlex because they're even more comfortable on my face. Kinda odd looking though.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I got shingles in my early twenties and the spot still feels like it’s burning sometimes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Oracle posted:

He asked if he should get the (non omicron) 4th booster in Canada or wait til he got back to Belgium, which is doing its own BA.1 version of an omicron booster. I answered none of the above and to shoot for a BA.5 which far as I know is only available in America, which Montreal is not that far from so Is a realistic option.

Getting an ESTA can be a pain in the rear end though, so it might not be a realistic option to go to the US for a booster.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

Yep, Aura's are good assuming they fit comfortably on your particular face. Go ahead and buy some and try wearing them for a few hours to see what you're in for. There are different versions but they're harder to find. One has woven nylon straps instead of rubber and another has an exhale valve though that one is tighter on the face for some reason.

I used to wear Auras all day at work but I ended up switching to the 3M VFlex because they're even more comfortable on my face. Kinda odd looking though.

I've been using the 3M V-Flex masks when I actually go to the office because I can speak through them way more clearly than with other masks. They aren't the most comfortable masks I've used, and tend to leave very obvious marks on my face where they seal, but feel like good protection and really help improve my ability to communicate verbally.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

My old boss got shingles at 34, and it developed into postherpetic neuralgia that—as far as I know—she still has 3 years later. It was really hosed up watching her be in constant pain to the point that she's fighting back tears sometimes. It ended her military career, and from what I can tell she's still in neverending pain.

Ever since I saw that, I've been pretty determined to get the shingles vax, and I don't give a gently caress if it's out-of-pocket.

Yes, this is like another case I posted in this thread, and it's depressing

The shingles vax is an every 3 years one. When I had shingles I was like "I would pay any amount of money to make this go away" but afterward it went away $300 every 3 years seemed like too much. Can't wait for future me to curse my penny pinching ways when I inevitably get it again.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I had no idea I could get shingles before 50. I had chicken pox as a child, and never had a vaccine for it. I guess I have to figure out what they call shingles where I live and how much a vaccine costs.

Just give me all the vaccines please.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been using the 3M V-Flex masks when I actually go to the office because I can speak through them way more clearly than with other masks. They aren't the most comfortable masks I've used, and tend to leave very obvious marks on my face where they seal, but feel like good protection and really help improve my ability to communicate verbally.

Yeah there's just no substitute for trying on a bunch and seeing what fits your face. Long term comfort is also very different than initial comfort. A mask may just be "okay" when you first put it on but if it still feels "okay" at the end of a 9 hour work day that's an important factor. I've got some "comfortable" masks that actually hurt my nose after 4 hours.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

binge crotching posted:

Getting an ESTA can be a pain in the rear end though, so it might not be a realistic option to go to the US for a booster.

I got an esta, because I’m meeting up with US friends tomorrow. But I doubt the cabin at a lake in Vermont is anywhere near a vaccination center, nor do I think a non US citizen can get vaccinated?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Facebook Aunt posted:

The shingles vax is an every 3 years one. When I had shingles I was like "I would pay any amount of money to make this go away" but afterward it went away $300 every 3 years seemed like too much. Can't wait for future me to curse my penny pinching ways when I inevitably get it again.

Oh holy crap really??
I apologize for giving the wrong info here and will go edit my post!!!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Spinz posted:

Oh holy crap really??
I apologize for giving the wrong info here and will go edit my post!!!

There are multiple shingles vaccines.

quote:

Shingrix provides strong protection against shingles and PHN. In adults 50 years and older who have healthy immune systems, Shingrix is more than 90% effective at preventing shingles and PHN. Immunity stays strong for at least the first 7 years after vaccination. In adults with weakened immune systems, studies show that Shingrix is 68%-91% effective in preventing shingles, depending on the condition that affects the immune system.

[...]

Adults 50 years and older should get two doses of Shingrix, separated by 2 to 6 months. Adults 19 years and older who have or will have weakened immune systems because of disease or therapy should also get two doses of Shingrix. If needed, people with weakened immune systems can get the second dose 1 to 2 months after the first.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

i just did a search to see if the bivalent booster is available in my city and it says it's coming "after labor day" so i'll check back next week i suppose.

i'm a little pissed that this poo poo is being made available so late after it was developed though since i finally caught covid a couple of weeks ago after having been infection-free for two years. i also had a second booster shot scheduled a couple weeks before i was infected but i canceled hoping that the bivalents would be made available here (and i didnt want to make myself ineligible for receiving the new one compared to a potentially less effective OG covid formula one).

better late than never i suppose. im on a college campus and all the kiddos are back and don't have to mask indoors, seems like a recipe for supercovid or something but idk maybe i just have doomer brain poisoning from catching a """"mild"""" case and feeling super scary sick for a couple of days.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mrfart posted:

I got an esta, because I’m meeting up with US friends tomorrow. But I doubt the cabin at a lake in Vermont is anywhere near a vaccination center, nor do I think a non US citizen can get vaccinated?

Vermont will likely have plenty of vaccination centers because it’s one of the least chudy states, and my Thai relatives were telling me about chartered plane loads of rich Thais jetting into California for shots, so no, they don’t care. You’re on vacation and didn’t bring your id but saw the shots were available and figured hell with it. They’ll hook you up. Just make sure to tell them you’re fully vaxxed.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I've seen 3M Aura N95 masks for sale at Home Depot I believe they are the ones that are generally recommended right? Are there different versions of the Aura? I have a 5 hour flight coming up later this month and I will take any recommendations on what N95 to wear for the entire duration of the trip.

i have a big melon and the ones with threaded straps dont fit my dome. the blue elastic ones fit amazingly well tho.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i did the dumb thing and tried to wear powercom kn95’s instead of my auras at school so i’d seem ~*~less weird~*~* but theyre so uncomfortable for long periods i said gently caress it and switched back to auras. they are without a doubt the most comfortable masks ive worn, n95 or otherwise.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah there's just no substitute for trying on a bunch and seeing what fits your face. Long term comfort is also very different than initial comfort. A mask may just be "okay" when you first put it on but if it still feels "okay" at the end of a 9 hour work day that's an important factor. I've got some "comfortable" masks that actually hurt my nose after 4 hours.

I have two sets of N95's for this reason: one I can wear long-term at work, and another one that I wear at the gym.

The gym-one is annoying to wear because it folds easy (but is very secure so it doesn't leave my head), but my regular one has a longer snout so if I'm doing military presses or something it gets in the way.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Charliegrs posted:

The Aura 9205 is the one I bought at Home Depot, with the blue elastic straps. the straps snap REALLY easily, so I splurged a whole dollar on 6 feet of fabric elastic at the dollar store and stapled backup straps onto it. Aura 9210s seem like the exact same mask with the better straps pre-installed, but I haven't seen a store nearby actually ordering them in.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I had no idea I could get shingles before 50. I had chicken pox as a child, and never had a vaccine for it.

I had what I think was shingles in my late 30s. I got a crazy weird rash on my shoulder blade and it scarred really badly and still feels kind of numb. I had chicken pox BAD when I was a kid, so I assume my body is like 40% viral material at this point. I had them on my tonsils, on my eyelids, inside my ears. My doctor was like "holy poo poo" which is not reassuring when you're a 9 year old kid. And then all my friends were told to come over and play because their moms wanted them to get it over with too :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Zil posted:

I'm scheduled for my bivalent booster and flu shot next Saturday.

Also as an aside, does anyone have recommendations on when to start getting the shingles vaccine? Nearing 40 if that matters.

If you are old enough to have gotten chicken pox and not the vaccine as a kid, definitely get the shingles vaccine as soon as they let you. I got shingles in my 20s somehow and it was absolutely miserable. I'm fortunate in that I had no permanent damage, but you do not want shingles it's no joke.