Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

chaosapiant posted:

Didn’t he originally start writing the GOT novels because he was tired of writing for TV, and wanted to write about as many characters and locations as he could that would be too expensive and confusing for a TV audience?

Yea but now the tv network will bend to his every whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

chaosapiant posted:

Didn’t he originally start writing the GOT novels because he was tired of writing for TV, and wanted to write about as many characters and locations as he could that would be too expensive and confusing for a TV audience?

It's more that he was leaving Hollywood at the time, anyway. His line about being able to include more into a book was just him talking about how freeing it was to go from TV back to books.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Arc Hammer posted:

The big CGI production houses have been on a decline for several years as more and more studios demand their work and animators are grist to be ground in the mill. COVID-19 didn't help matters because the safety measures means fewer actors are legally allowed to be on set so more green screen and composite shots are required to fill out the crowds. Even more work for overworked animators.

Digital lighting effects are also much more common because shooting on sets is "easier" than location shooting where you're waiting on weather conditions and it ends up making the lighting flat and ugly looking and that in turn makes the CGI stand out even more. Everything done for the convenience of the shoot throws more work onto the CGI studios so they're burning through talent and trying to match natural lighting patterns with technology that isn't there yet.

I don't understand how an uptick in work would lead to a production house's decline. That seems counter-intuitive. Even if there is a shortage of workers to burn through, that demand can be met overseas - not to mention the loving hordes of young animators / 3d modellers our there. The biggest threat to these places ( from my limited experience ) is maintaining the large staff necessary for projects. You need a ton of people for a project and to keep all those people employed you need a stable pipeline of new projects. It doesn't take much for a digital studio to go under - but too much work is an amazing problem to have.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The CGI in Rings of Power is absolutely impeccable so I guess Bezos didn’t cheap out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TERFherder posted:

I don't understand how an uptick in work would lead to a production house's decline. That seems counter-intuitive. Even if there is a shortage of workers to burn through, that demand can be met overseas - not to mention the loving hordes of young animators / 3d modellers our there. The biggest threat to these places ( from my limited experience ) is maintaining the large staff necessary for projects. You need a ton of people for a project and to keep all those people employed you need a stable pipeline of new projects. It doesn't take much for a digital studio to go under - but too much work is an amazing problem to have.

There's no breathing room in the industry right now, which leads to decline and cannibalisation. You can't skill up workers if you're constantly churning though people who just graduated from college or whose training comes from certification mills and YouTube tutorials. Having too much work is a great problem, having too much work that is basically the same 101/201 level stuff over and over plus crunched timelines leads to corner cutting, ignoring investment in infrastructure, and general mismanagement.

This isn't a problem unique to VFX by any means but VFX is a case study where you can see the ripple effects (lovely CGI, burned out staff, etc) in relatively real time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The CGI in Rings of Power is absolutely impeccable so I guess Bezos didn’t cheap out.

Is it actually good? I saw some clips from the Galadriel ice troll fight that looked pretty dire but maybe that was an outlier.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it actually good? I saw some clips from the Galadriel ice troll fight that looked pretty dire but maybe that was an outlier.

Literally everything else in the show so far has been absolutely bonkers gorgeous. It makes House of the Dragon look like a really well done episode of Xena. And I think the CG in HOTD is pretty good too.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Rings of power definitely has a leg up in that they're venturing across tons of beautiful natural landscapes while HOTD is stuck in castles we've seen plenty of

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is Rings of Power a retelling of The Lord of the Rings, or something else spun off from Silmarillion or something like that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

Is Rings of Power a retelling of The Lord of the Rings, or something else spun off from Silmarillion or something like that?

It's inspired by the stories set during the Second Age. Think of it as a prequel to the prologue scene from the Fellowship of the Ring film.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

nah, it looks too much like video games

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

it's about lotr appendix

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

chaosapiant posted:

It’s pulled from material from the appendices of Return of the King, which includes some overlap with content in the Silmarillion. So the show can include whatever is located there, but where there are gaps that the Silmarillion might fill, it has to zag.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The new show is extremely boring to me so far

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it’s pretty underwhelming overall.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Haven't had the chance to check out the new show yet since my friend's media server has been down :filez: The costumes look incredibly nice and I'm curious how the styles will shift after the time jump.

I just love dresses ;-*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RC Cola posted:

The new show is extremely boring to me so far

Rings of Power has managed to hold my attention way better so far than House of the Dragon has, I find. The only time the show comes alive is when Daemon is on screen doing poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Rings of Power has managed to hold my attention way better so far than House of the Dragon has, I find. The only time the show comes alive is when Daemon is on screen doing poo poo.

I am incredibly biased but personally I find Tolkien’s extended writings regarding his legendarium just so much more fascinating and imaginative than GRRM’s nebulously pop history-Medieval but with dragons and maybe magic who knows setting. And that’s accounting for Rings of Power having to take huge creative license with the source material.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

TERFherder posted:

outsourcing to overseas teams is not nesessarily a smooth process, new hires has less experience and are often net-negative in terms of value added for the first year or two of their tenure

nine-gear crow posted:

I like the Viserys actor more and more as the show goes on

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Deptfordx posted:

That would make an incredible amount of sense. Which means it's probably not going to happen.

Edit: The more I think on it, the more I like it.

You could actually stick to the existing stuff without having to *finger cross* your writers could bloat it into far too many seasons.

You could wrap up the Hedge Knight in one neat season.

You don't have to tie actors and showrunners down for years, hell I bet there's some big names who'd love to do a single season of a Westeros show.

you could do hedge knight/sworn sword/mystery knight in 1 season prob

those stories are really self-contained

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Typo posted:

I like the Viserys actor more and more as the show goes on

He’s been fantastic. I’ve never seen a performance get across better the “Heavy is the head that wears the crown” idea.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

kaworu posted:

I also really hope that’s the direction they head in, I mean…. I think maybe they could stretch the material out to three arson’s if they include the whole winding-down of the Dance of Dragons - meaning stuff like The Hour of the Wolf, Tyland Lannister’s fascinating and selfless reign as a disfigured and castrated Hand to a boy-king he once tried to have killed, all the stuff with Unwin Peake trying to repeatedly grab power, the early adventures of Alyn Oakenfist.

The hour of the wolf is logically the last eps or two of the DoD arch to wrap everything up

every "main" character we see now except Corlys will be dead by then anyway, having fan-favorite Stark guy wrapping up the fate of the remaining characters is logically how you would end it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

He’s been fantastic. I’ve never seen a performance get across better the “Heavy is the head that wears the crown” idea.

I love the way he's playing Viserys's slow degeneration over the years with each episode, and how in this last one you can't really tell if his various outbursts are either that good old Targaryen Crazy™ starting to rear its ugly head and he gets closer and closer to death, or if he's just that goddamn fed up with all the bullshit in his life and everyone around him.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Hot D is ok at best, I mean it's well done with the costumes etc. but it feels like a rather boring Game of Thrones remix with slightly different characters (most of which have same last names as GoT characters)

Haven't read Fire & Blood but I've read the relevant parts of the Targ history from ASOIAF wiki years ago or whatever and even though I know there's a war and whatever other conflict coming, it's still just not very interesting to watch

Granted, Rings of Power has the same "issue" that I know the story they're going to tell (not a problem really, first three seasons of GoT were the same before it went off the railz and it didn't bother me in the slightest), but even just two episodes in it's managed to be more engaging and visually more interesting than more of the same GoT style we just had eight seasons worth

Gonna watch 'em both anyway tho :shrug:

e: it's funny is that the first HotD episode had a bunch of obligatory T&A for obvious reasons, this is the adult GRRM fantasy series but I don't think there's been a titty on screen ever since which is just fine since no one needs another play with her arse

ALLAN LASSUS fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 5, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I keep harping on this, but I feel more engaged with Rings at the moment because I can loving hear the lines. There was a scene in Hot D last night where characters were all whispering important dialogue at a feast, and the sound of food hitting plates was twice as loud as any one actor's voice.

I still like Hot D. Its main problem is that it is setting up so much and nobody would have put up with it this far if Paddy wasn't carrying all of his scenes.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I feel like sound mixing in general has gotten a lot worse over the years. Seriously, why would you let music and background noise overtake the spoken dialouge. This isn't nitpicking one specific show I feel like it's everywhere

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The throne in that famous fanart is eye-rollingly grimdark.
But I mean asoiaf is kind of grimdark, in an eye-rolling way.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pennsylvanian posted:

I keep harping on this, but I feel more engaged with Rings at the moment because I can loving hear the lines. There was a scene in Hot D last night where characters were all whispering important dialogue at a feast, and the sound of food hitting plates was twice as loud as any one actor's voice.

I still like Hot D. Its main problem is that it is setting up so much and nobody would have put up with it this far if Paddy wasn't carrying all of his scenes.

lol yeah, i had to use subtitles to understand what the were mumbling about

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

^^^What kid of soundbar/audio setup do you have? I'm in a high ceiling loft and had to focus my speakers and soundbar and still have issues due to the 15ft ceilings, and am having no issues with it.

I'm enjoying HotD and feel that Rings is a slog. I know this is the book forum, but HotD is just so much better at telling things visually. Like, the hunt in the last episode was an excellent way to explain 3 years of development and where characters are, and only half was done qith dialogue and exposition, while the rest was done with visual language. Rings is just too much talking and exposition, where ita nit using its medium and just making me rather read it if it's all going to be text anyway.

Darko fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 6, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

I feel like sound mixing in general has gotten a lot worse over the years. Seriously, why would you let music and background noise overtake the spoken dialouge. This isn't nitpicking one specific show I feel like it's everywhere

Yeah, it's why I've kind of given up on a lot of TV and movies. I'm willing to watch subtitles for non-English movies, but I'm tired of needing them in so many English-speaking shows just because for some reason a door closing in the background needs to be as loud as a sonic boom while austere British actors are mumbling to each other from across the room. People try to blame it on sound setups, too. No matter what the setup or room, it's bad everywhere and I'm really tired of having to be ready on the volume at home or just having to deal with it in theatres.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It does make me laugh how Game of Thrones and now House of the Dragon devide to go splatter film whenever it comes time to show blood and gore. That boar didn't stand a chance.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I've always watched TV shows with subtitles, I've always had trouble understanding dialogue over loud background noises wtihout them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Episode was pretty boring and the ending scene dragged out way too long.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Episode was pretty boring and the ending scene dragged out way too long.

There was like three or four moments where I was like "what the gently caress is even happening? Who the gently caress is THAT guy? Wait, who's dead and who isn't?"

Like seriously, who was that dude who showed up on the Dragon to save Daemon's rear end?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm assuming he was one of Viserys's dragon riders. Would have been nice if they mentioned him at all and didn't spend five minutes if silence making it look like Damon was going to surrender just to spite Viserys when we know it's a fake fakeout.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm assuming he was one of Viserys's dragon riders. Would have been nice if they mentioned him at all and didn't spend five minutes if silence making it look like Damon was going to surrender just to spite Viserys when we know it's a fake fakeout.

Yeah, like why did he get mad and beat the poo poo out of the messenger for giving him... the exact news that he wanted to hear and was hoping for this whole time? You know, the thing he sent that letter to Viserys that was like "Yo, bro, they're beating my rear end here, I think I've made a mistake. HELP ME!" about?

I mean, I love what a messy, spiteful, contrarian drama bitch Daemon Targaryen is, but that was just... uh... :raise:

I honestly thought for a second that Viserys had pulled a switcheroo on him and actually sent a "Lol git fukd" letter to him for some reason at the last second. It was so poorly conveyed.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 6, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean this whole conflict with the Crab man has been poorly conveyed. They kept cutting to him every so often for three episodes building up this mystery. Then when the time comes for a confrontation, we get nothing from the Crab man and Matt Smith comes back with his torso. Crab man is like Boba fett but less cool.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
The dragon rider was Velaryon's older kid, there was like a split second where you could see his hair

It was probably meant as a rather important plot point with all the pureblood Valyrian talk and marrying him off to Rhaenyra, but... yeah

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, like why did he get mad and beat the poo poo out of the messenger for giving him... the exact news that he wanted to hear and was hoping for this whole time? You know, the thing he sent that letter to Viserys that was like "Yo, bro, they're beating my rear end here, I think I've made a mistake. HELP ME!" about?

I mean, I love what a messy, spiteful, contrarian drama bitch Daemon Targaryen is, but that was just... uh... :raise:

I honestly thought for a second that Viserys had pulled a switcheroo on him and actually sent a "Lol git fukd" letter to him for some reason at the last second. It was so poorly conveyed.

Daemon didn’t send for help, Corlys’ brother did (Vaemond, the other Velaryon at the war council that received the letter).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Daemon didn’t send for help, Corlys’ brother did (Vaemond, the other Velaryon at the war council that received the letter).

Ah, I'd heard "Daemon" instead of "Vaedmond" because, again, the sound mixing on this show kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
That was also set up in the previous scene where Viserys says Daemon would rather die than ask for help