Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh jay posted:

I think that what's happening with Mirko is a little distasteful, but it's also nice to have equal opportunity violence. In shonen, we often have the male characters getting incredibly, viscerally hosed up, while women get little dirt scratches drawn on them (see: Bakugo vs. Uraraka) trying to convince the reader that they were beaten within an inch of life.
the issue is that mirko is getting way more hosed up than any other character in the manga has, so its still not equal opportunity. like bakugou is literally laying on the ground dying and hes less visibly injured than her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mirko's the closest we've got to a Bruno Bucciarati in here anyway.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hori read all the hornyposting about Mirko and this is your punishment.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

RareAcumen posted:

Mirko's the closest we've got to a Bruno Bucciarati in here anyway.

Please do not give Hori the suggestion of Mirko being a smelly, visibly rotting corpse person.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's funny because when I said it was starting to read like Hori gets off to this stuff, everyone thought I was crazy :V

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

To be clear I wasn't serious about it being Horikoshi's fetish. I think he just thinks it makes her look badass to get hosed up and keep fighting and people liked it the first time so he's going back to that well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephthys posted:

To be clear I wasn't serious about it being Horikoshi's fetish. I think he just thinks it makes her look badass to get hosed up and keep fighting and people liked it the first time so he's going back to that well.

I am pretty sure it is this. The character first shone during a battle where she was an unstoppable berserker who didn't let injury stop her so that is now her gimmick. Presumably with the idea of 'cyborg limbs are awesome' because Hori loves cyborg limbs a lot.

It still is weird that female characters get hosed up more than male characters but I think people viewing it as 'fetish' in this case are reaching when it is just repeating what people thought was cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not gonna call it his fetish but it is insane how many random dead women with barely any screentime this series has managed to accrue, even more than most shonen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

im not gonna call it his fetish but it is insane how many random dead women with barely any screentime this series has managed to accrue, even more than most shonen

Oh yeah. Not disagreeing at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mirko is the cursed item from the Simpsons. In a constant flux between "that's good", "that's bad" and "can I go now"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure it is this. The character first shone during a battle where she was an unstoppable berserker who didn't let injury stop her so that is now her gimmick. Presumably with the idea of 'cyborg limbs are awesome' because Hori loves cyborg limbs a lot.

It still is weird that female characters get hosed up more than male characters but I think people viewing it as 'fetish' in this case are reaching when it is just repeating what people thought was cool.

I think dismembering a rabbit is a fetish thing

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's just razzing the author which by this point is fair

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

When 60% of the chapter is barely understandable except the parts with the popular girl character losing limbs I’m not really gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If it was a buff dude still fighting after losing 3 limbs, y'all would've been going on about how badass it was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mymla posted:

If it was a buff dude still fighting after losing 3 limbs, y'all would've been going on about how badass it was.

Someone hasn't been reading the thread. The conversation would be the same as the last 70 chapters of fighting Shigaraki. And the last 20 chapters with this mutation that Eraserhead isn't allowed to turn off because of plot armor.

'Why is this not a Quirk' 'Wow, another chapter tries to do something and accomplishes nothing' 'Waiting for Goku' 'Bleach comparison' 'Naruto comparison' 'What is happening, where are anyone standing, I can't understand who's doing what' 'Manga shouldn't be made on a weekly schedule if it's any bigger than a 4koma'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mymla posted:

if it was a buff dude still fighting after losing 3 limbs it still would be stupid and not really progressing the plot any

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also the Monty Python jokes would be in full force rather than simply sporadic

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Maybe Hori just like ripping arms off. Mirko lost one, Endeavor lost one, Mirko lost another.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mymla posted:

I dont think anyone saw deku exploding his arms and legs and decided to scream sugoiiii~ in this thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Actually, it was me. I screamed sugoi.

I apologize for my words and deeds.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Maybe Hori just like ripping arms off. Mirko lost one, Endeavor lost one, Mirko lost another.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

He loves hands but hates the limbs they're attached to. See also: Mr Compress, Overhaul.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mymla posted:

Endorph posted:

if it was a buff dude still fighting after losing 3 limbs it still would be stupid and not really progressing the plot any

A prayer comes from the heart

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

This was Deku's main fighting style for a significant portion of the series and it ruled.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Horikoshi tore off one of Nighteye's arms and no one cared, so he had to triple down on that strategy .

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Considering he's trying to speedrun to the end I dunno why he keeps stalling the fight. Just end it already you worthless hack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nephthys posted:

This was Deku's main fighting style for a significant portion of the series and it ruled.

I remember when the moral of the story that was constantly repeated and emphasized was that Deku destroying himself in the process of doing heroics was stupid as hell and counterproductive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I remember when the moral of the story that was constantly repeated and emphasized was that Deku destroying himself in the process of doing heroics was stupid as hell and counterproductive.

I mean that is true but people also thought it was cool.

I was introduced to the series when someone in the comic forum posted the panels where Deku was breaking his fingers to fight iceyhot in the "badass panels" thread.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 6, 2022

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's genuinely annoying how weird people are in this thread about stuff like that. Guys, it's ok to simply just think the manga isn't any good and stop reading.

You don't need a "big/legitimate reason" to leave, you can just be annoyed by all the small issues adding up and give up on it, no one is gonna be mad at you for it.

(Also the reason it's women dying is the same reason Araki kills dogs, people see it as more dramatic and sad then if a man dies. Y'all thinking way harder then the author did)

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Miserable Maid posted:

Guys, it's ok to simply just think the manga isn't any good and stop reading.

You don't need a "big/legitimate reason" to leave, you can just be annoyed by all the small issues adding up and give up on it, no one is gonna be mad at you for it.

I can't find anything else I'm enthusiastic to talk about, though. I thought that was the reason people stuck by Bleach - it gave them an excuse to socialize by laughing at how dumb the latest powerup or beam struggle was?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 6, 2022

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This series was fairly entertaining and interesting at the beginning and occasionally still is, but especially since it is such a small time investment to read every chapter as they come out I may as well just see it to its conclusion. It only takes like two minutes once a week and then I can promptly forget about it for the rest of the week so I don't feel like I'm wasting much.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Indiana_Krom posted:

This series was fairly entertaining and interesting at the beginning and occasionally still is, but especially since it is such a small time investment to read every chapter as they come out I may as well just see it to its conclusion. It only takes like two minutes once a week and then I can promptly forget about it for the rest of the week so I don't feel like I'm wasting much.

Yeah. I read so many manga I don't care about each week just because I'm bored haha.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is the same manga where a relatively prominent female character got hellblasted and suffered mild singes and had to cut a couple inches off her hair.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Miserable Maid posted:

Yeah, it's genuinely annoying how weird people are in this thread about stuff like that. Guys, it's ok to simply just think the manga isn't any good and stop reading.

(Also the reason it's women dying is the same reason Araki kills dogs, people see it as more dramatic and sad then if a man dies. Y'all thinking way harder then the author did)

This has now turned into a Bleach situation where each week it’s amusing to see how much damage an author can do to their own work

If Shiggy gains omnipotence once the merge is fully complete, we know we’ve hit peak bleach. Just let people enjoy it, because there isnt anything else positive to say right now really

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Deku beats All for One, but All for Two shows up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Libra posted:

He loves hands but hates the limbs they're attached to. See also: Mr Compress, Overhaul.

Compress didn't just stop at an arm he went full rear end

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Quirk God, who is the glowing baby himself, descends upon the battlefield once Shiggy is beaten. The final battle starts now

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

The Quirk God, who is the glowing baby himself, descends upon the battlefield once Shiggy is beaten. The final battle starts now

No no the glowing baby blows up Shiggy and then the baby turns out to have an oddly specific and far more convenient method of defeat.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Eggplant Squire posted:

Compress didn't just stop at an arm he went full rear end

Really one of the most tragic injuries in the series. We know limbs can be replaced with cyber-prosthetics, but can anything be done about this poor man's rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

The more Shoto enhances his Quirk, the more powerful his Hand Crusher curse gets. He's moved on to arms now.

Kild posted:

I dont think anyone saw deku exploding his arms and legs and decided to scream sugoiiii~ in this thread

I still think Deku blowing up his arms against Muscular during the camp arc was pretty lame, honestly. Could've been a good time to use Full Cowling solo, but instead he just wishes really hard and then one-shots the guy with his broken limbs. :shrug: