Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh, I was planning for a SSLP, actually.

Oh, I was just saying that in general. Here's my script if you end up wanting it- it's likely not perfect, but it does fine for me.

code:
ffmpeg -f gdigrab -draw_mouse 0 -framerate 60 -thread_queue_size 5040 -i title="whatever the window title is" -f dshow -i audio="your desktop audio output" -c:v libx264rgb -crf 0 -preset ultrafast -color_range 2 Your_filename.m4v
pause
I just have multiple copies of it, each batch file minorly tweaked to match the game.

Commander Keene posted:

Personally I'd just record with the emulator's built-in recording function, as long as it has one, and most do.

This is also probably a pretty good idea.

edit: what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Commander Keene posted:

Personally I'd just record with the emulator's built-in recording function, as long as it has one, and most do.

I tried that, but lately it just crashes whenever I attempt it.

Odd Wilson posted:

Oh, I was just saying that in general. Here's my script if you end up wanting it- it's likely not perfect, but it does fine for me.

code:
ffmpeg -f gdigrab -draw_mouse 0 -framerate 60 -thread_queue_size 5040 -i title="whatever the window title is" -f dshow -i audio="your desktop audio output" -c:v libx264rgb -crf 0 -preset ultrafast -color_range 2 Your_filename.m4v
pause
I just have multiple copies of it, each batch file minorly tweaked to match the game.

This is also probably a pretty good idea.

edit: what a snipe

Where/how do I use this?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Where/how do I use this?

Ah, right, I should probably explain how to use it. That would probably help, yeah. It's been a long day. :doh:

Forewarning, this is going off the assumption you're using Windows. Some tweaks can be done to make work for Mac and Linux, but I don't know anything about them. With that in mind, here's a very simple but detailed general use write-up, because that's what I like in a tutorial.

First up is installing FFMPEG, just grab a precompiled binary. When it installs, open up Command Line and simply type "ffmpeg". If a bunch of version text shows up, then congrats it's installed right. Otherwise, you'll want to locate the binary (usually installs to C:/ffmpeg by default, I think) and add it to your PATH variables.

The code I pasted is just a line of code to be run in command line once tweaked a bit- I specifically just throw this in a batch file. It uses DirectShow, so this is meant to be run on Windows- I don't know the input you'd use for other systems, but I'm sure there's an equivalent for Linux or Mac.

To use it, you first need a consistent name for the window running the game. I only mention this because some emulators put the FPS in the window title (MelonDS for one), but this can usually be solved by merely pausing the emulation first (netting you something like "MelonDS 9.4 - Paused"). Replace the ' "whatever the window title is" ' part in the script with that title. This is just calling DirectShow to capture the window, and it needs to be able to find it when you run the batch.

Next up is audio. You may or may not need this for your SSLP, and if you don't I can give you a shortened version of the script that ignores audio. If you do, use the audio, get the exact name of your default speakers in your audio settings, mine being "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)" and put that in place of ' "your desktop audio output" '. This'll record your literal desktop audio output, so it'll capture your Discord notifications or background music or whatever too, so handle that part on however you need it.

Lastly is just a filename for the video file, but just go ahead and leave it as .m4v if possible. You don't put quotes around this, so just- VideoOutput01.m4v - is fine.

(The "pause" at the end of the file is just a batch code to ask for input before the window closes after FFMPEG is done.)

With your resulting code in a .txt file renamed to a .bat, just run it and it should hook to the window as long as it can find the name. The video will be in the same folder as the batch file. When you're done, just hit "q" with the console window focused to properly shut down FFMPEG. I usually move the window to somewhere where I can watch the live statistics, so I can easily see if it's started to drop lots of frames for some reason.

If it ends up capturing part of the emulator's options or GUI, you can likely just batch crop it out in Irfanview or something.

I probably overlooked or forgot to mention something, but I hope it's usable instructions. I can only somewhat explain to you what all the code actually means myself, I've just pieced this thing together from various code snippets across the internet + some troubleshooting. If there's anything I missed out on, folks who know more about this can feel free to correct me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'll have to give that a shot once I get home. Hopefully it'll work out for me.

Thanks!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm trying to get OBS to record Return to Krondor and having not a drat bit of luck with getting it recorded "properly," in that the only way I can record it is a "display capture," and even though it displays in full screen, it records in postage stamp size.

I have this issue with both the GOG version and the Steam version. For Betrayal in Antara I originally had a similar issue, but futzing about with compatability settings eventually allowed it to record properly, but I've been having no such luck with Return to Krondor.

Any suggestions? I've tried googling the problem and just found other people with the same problem and no solutions...

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Anybody have a good microphone/audio capturing guide? I've been doing the same recording and post-processing in Audacity for like a decade, except for tweaking filters and upgrading microphones periodically to the Blue Yeti I have now. I spend so much time scrubbing my audio for mouth noises and stuff, and then I'll see a random clip of some teenage streamer who just has their mic in front of them and the audio sounds great without any of that work. Makes me feel like there was some big leap forward in audio capture that I just missed the memo on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What kind of noises?
Background noise from the outside? Noise from computer equipment? Clicks and pops? Electrical noise? Breathing noise?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
It's mostly things like lip smacks when people go to talk, the occasional tongue click, and exhales after people finish speaking. I can remove them but I'm just curious what the trick is for people who seem to be able to just stick a mic right in front of their face and have it sound good.

For reference, here's the steps I take in post with my audio tracks:

-Noise Reduction
-Noise Gate
-Click Removal
-Compressor
-Normalize
-manual scrub for noises/coughs/etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The usual about increasing the signal to noise ratio applies. If you can move the mic a bit further away and then speak louder, then all the unwanted mouth noises will be less audible. Breathing noises are lessened a lot if you can have the mic not directly in front of the air stream.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm looking at microphones and I'm considering either a Blue Yeti or Shure MV7. Assuming cost isn't an issue, is there any reason to recommend one over the other?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

First up is installing FFMPEG, just grab a precompiled binary. When it installs, open up Command Line and simply type "ffmpeg". If a bunch of version text shows up, then congrats it's installed right. Otherwise, you'll want to locate the binary (usually installs to C:/ffmpeg by default, I think) and add it to your PATH variables.

The code I pasted is just a line of code to be run in command line once tweaked a bit- I specifically just throw this in a batch file. It uses DirectShow, so this is meant to be run on Windows- I don't know the input you'd use for other systems, but I'm sure there's an equivalent for Linux or Mac.

To use it, you first need a consistent name for the window running the game. I only mention this because some emulators put the FPS in the window title (MelonDS for one), but this can usually be solved by merely pausing the emulation first (netting you something like "MelonDS 9.4 - Paused"). Replace the ' "whatever the window title is" ' part in the script with that title. This is just calling DirectShow to capture the window, and it needs to be able to find it when you run the batch.

Alright, I finally tried giving this a shot after some weeks of handling some busywork IRL and I think I'm a bit confused on this part. I downloaded the MPEG, but it's a bz2 file. Is this what I need DirectShow for? Or did I download it incorrectly?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Alright, I finally tried giving this a shot after some weeks of handling some busywork IRL and I think I'm a bit confused on this part. I downloaded the MPEG, but it's a bz2 file. Is this what I need DirectShow for? Or did I download it incorrectly?

A bz2 is a zipped file for Linux, so you've got the wrong file. Some precompiled libraries can be found here or here's a direct link to the .zip you'll probably want from there.

It doesn't actually use an installer or anything, (my previous post is wrong in that regard,) it's just the .exe files. Unzip it and put it somewhere easy to find. Next, you can either put the batch file in the same folder with it and just run it like that, or put a path to ffmpeg.exe, ffplay.exe, and ffprobe.exe in your PATH variables so that it can be accessed from anywhere. (You should only need ffmpeg.exe for this script.)

My previous post wasn't exactly the most clear on this, that's on me.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I use and can recommend Davinci Resolve. It has a learning curve, like all creative software, but it's not too hard to learn the basics.

EDIT: here's my Davinci Resolve tutorial:

My workflow for Davinci Resolve is basically:
  • Record footage with OBS
  • Use ffmpeg to convert OBS's .mkv files to .mp4 files (ffmpeg -i video.mkv -c copy video.mp4)
  • Create a new Resolve project, switch to Edit mode (button at the bottom-center of the window)
  • Drag the .mp4 files into the media pool. Resolve will probably pop up a warning that the clips don't match the framerate/resolution settings of your project. Change the project to match the clips.
  • There's two video players in Edit mode. The one on the left is your source clip from the media pool; the one on the right shows the final output. Double-click a clip in the media pool to show it in the left side. Scrub through it with the player until you find the start point you want to use, then hit i (for "in"). Keep playing until you find where you want the clip to cut off, and hit o (for "out"). Then click on the video itself and drag it into the timeline.
  • Each clip in the timeline has a set of small handles at the top-left and top-right corners. You can drag these away from the sides to fade the clips. Note that if you want to fade the audio, you have to do so separately. If you want to change the length of the clip, you can click and drag on the left or right edges to shorten or extend it.
  • You can right-click on a clip to bring up more commands. The main one I use is "Retime Curve" (and then click on where it says "Retime Frame" and change it to "Retime Speed"). This opens a little widget that lets you change the playback speed of a clip with fine precision, which I use to speed up clips so I can fit more of them into the trailer.
  • In the very top-right of the window is an "Inspector" button, which is where you access stuff like volume controls or the position of overlaid graphics.
  • When you're done, click on the "Deliver" button at the bottom to choose how you want to render.
  • Remember to save often, Resolve isn't the most stable software. I've only had it crash once or twice, but that's still more than I'd like.

This is some well timed information... I'm trying to switch from an oldschool avisynth workflow to OBS + Resolve at the moment. I'm curious, why record to mkv in OBS rather than using the "Custom Output" setting and writing .mp4 files directly? Is the ffmpeg-based output less reliable?

The other thing I'm concerned about is having h264 video to edit from.. I'm used to the flexibility that lossless video gives me. Is there significant quality loss from reencoding when using h.264 as a source in Resolve?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Gul Banana posted:

This is some well timed information... I'm trying to switch from an oldschool avisynth workflow to OBS + Resolve at the moment. I'm curious, why record to mkv in OBS rather than using the "Custom Output" setting and writing .mp4 files directly? Is the ffmpeg-based output less reliable?

If you're recording in the mp4 format and it ends abruptly, for some unfortunate reason, then the video becomes unusable whereas with an mkv file you can salvage what you recorded up until that point. With OBS, you can record in mkv and then remux the video file into mp4, which can take a few seconds to a couple of minutes depending on the length and file size of the recording.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I haven't noticed any quality drop issues. My understanding is that when you use -c copy in ffmpeg to convert mkv to mp4, it keeps the data identical, it just changes the kind of container it's in. It certainly can't be doing much work, as it's basically instantaneous even for large files.

Knowing some ffmpeg is handy in general. Like, here's a command for making your videos more Twitter-friendly:

ffmpeg.exe -i source.mkv -vf scale=-1:720,fps=30 out.mp4

This rescales it to be 720px tall, and cuts the FPS to 30. Note that that scaling mode has to neatly divide into the source resolution, you can't just plug in any number you like. Downscaling more can make a big difference in filesize, which is handy if you need to e.g. upload long videos to Discord (which has an 8MB limit).

You can also add -an to strip out audio.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Gul Banana posted:

I'm curious what Resolve can do that Avisynth/Avidemux can't. Is it just a better interface or are there some things you can do that you can't do/are a pain to do with the latter?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Are there *any* Subtitling programs that work with work with VDub2? My computer won't/can't run Vdub1 anymore, so the old plugins for that won't work.

*sigh* The downsides to having a stable workflow for 15 years, then needing a new computer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

berryjon posted:

Are there *any* Subtitling programs that work with work with VDub2? My computer won't/can't run Vdub1 anymore, so the old plugins for that won't work.

*sigh* The downsides to having a stable workflow for 15 years, then needing a new computer.

As far as I can tell, VDFilterMod (VirtualDub2) should still support all plugins for original VirtualDub, including VSFilter/TextSub for subtitles.
Just check that the bitness (32 or 64) matches between program and plugin.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Sorry not working. Any suggestiongs for something I can drop .rear end and .avi into to get them to work? VobSub can't read .rear end, and I can convert .rear end into .ssa.

mujie
Mar 14, 2015
For let's plays I know older screenshot LPs used some website to put the music on, is there any place like that now? Thanks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mujie posted:

For let's plays I know older screenshot LPs used some website to put the music on, is there any place like that now? Thanks

Clyp was an option, but I think all of their tiers are paid now unless you got grandfathered in. For 13 Sentinels I ran an ffmpeg script I painfully hacked together myself to automatically combine each track on the soundtrack with a background image and then uploaded each of the resulting videos to YouTube on a burner account because I knew I couldn't use Clyp again.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can upload music to LPix as long as it's less than 4MB, and IIRC you can ask baldurk to lift that limit? Otherwise you're probably going to have to either search out the music on YT or upload it there yourself.

mujie
Mar 14, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

You can upload music to LPix as long as it's less than 4MB, and IIRC you can ask baldurk to lift that limit? Otherwise you're probably going to have to either search out the music on YT or upload it there yourself.

Thanks. So if I wanted to upload an ogg file, I'd need to convert it to mp3 first?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've been capturing images and video from RAMA (1996) for the LP I've been meaning to do for a long time now. I might need to upload some more videos for proper reference but I wanted to get some feedback on the captures I've done so far.

The above image is a screenshot taking using DOSBox's built in screenshot key.

The game's max resolution is 640x480, so that's what resolution the screenshots are in. I'm running the game in a window, and I know you can up the window resolution, but I don't think that will affect the screenshot resolution. I'm wondering if 640x480 is too small for the screenshots. My thought was to use IrfanView to mass crop all the screenshots to remove the UI, but that would make the screenshots even smaller.

Here's two quick test crops I did:

Top is just the crop, bottom is the crop, but in Photoshop, I went into Image Size and upped the resolution to about 100 pixels/inch, and changed the 'Resample Image' type to 'Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges). The upscale doesn't look too bad, but doing that with every image would be very tedious.

-

This image is a screencap from a video I took using OBS. I couldn't use DOSBox's built-in video capture, because upon watching the capture, the footage had a messed up color palette.

How I captured this with OBS was kind of cheesy. I simply scaled the capture up in OBS to fit to the screen. As a result, it does look a little blurry or pixelated in places.

What I was wondering is if I should also crop/zoom to eliminate the UI, go further and crop it down to the window with the video, or just leave it as it is?

If you want an actual video example for reference/review, I uploaded a video of the prologue with the UI cropped out. The resolution was tweaked a bit from running it through HandBrake to shrink the file size, but it doesn't seem to have stretched the video out or affected the image.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Irfanview can do mass resizing as well, you could totally automate the whole image editing process. When I was running a Wild Arms LP briefly, I was capturing video using BizHawk's built in video capture, then getting screenshots from that, and then cropping off the overscan borders and resizing in Irfanview.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Commander Keene posted:

Irfanview can do mass resizing as well, you could totally automate the whole image editing process. When I was running a Wild Arms LP briefly, I was capturing video using BizHawk's built in video capture, then getting screenshots from that, and then cropping off the overscan borders and resizing in Irfanview.

Thanks. Gave that a shot and the resizing turned out pretty well.

This is resized up 150%, with 'Use Resample Function' enabled. I thought about adding something to 'Set new DPI value' but I wasn't sure of the original image's DPI.

It seems like there's a little bit of detail loss and/or artifacting, but it could just be that the dithering is more noticeable when the image is blown up.

Still, I'm wondering if I should leave in the UI or not. Does it seem like it would get repetitive if you were reading through with the UI showing up in each shot, or would be better if you could see changes to the compass and inventory?

Sample text goes here.

Lorem Ipsum dolor sit amet.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Me today:

"Well, that was a nice holiday from LP'ing, let's get Gothic 2 to work with OBS so I can get back in the saddle!"

[half an hour later]

"Well, that's a loving busted-rear end mess. Let's get Divinity: Original Sin 2, to work with OBS so I can get back in the saddle!"

[an hour later]

"Huh, apparently there's only one solution to make it work, and it only works for a fraction of the people who have a problem, and you need to re-do the same wizardry every time you want to record/stream! And the solution doesn't actually work for me!"

Why the heck do I always have to decide to LP the games that are reluctant to be recorded? And does anyone have a solution for recording DOS2 that doesn't involve flipping the game seemingly randomly between Windowed and Fake Fullscreen in the hope that it'll trick OBS into letting you record it? Both it and Gothic 2 are happy to let you record sound, but refuse to record any actual footage.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

PurpleXVI posted:

Me today:

"Well, that was a nice holiday from LP'ing, let's get Gothic 2 to work with OBS so I can get back in the saddle!"

[half an hour later]

"Well, that's a loving busted-rear end mess. Let's get Divinity: Original Sin 2, to work with OBS so I can get back in the saddle!"

[an hour later]

"Huh, apparently there's only one solution to make it work, and it only works for a fraction of the people who have a problem, and you need to re-do the same wizardry every time you want to record/stream! And the solution doesn't actually work for me!"

Why the heck do I always have to decide to LP the games that are reluctant to be recorded? And does anyone have a solution for recording DOS2 that doesn't involve flipping the game seemingly randomly between Windowed and Fake Fullscreen in the hope that it'll trick OBS into letting you record it? Both it and Gothic 2 are happy to let you record sound, but refuse to record any actual footage.

I thought that I'd install Gothic 2 and give it a try myself. The version that I have is the Steam version "Gothic II: Gold Classic". This game was a pain in the arse as it was throwing a wobbly every time that I tried to tab out of the game. Even after I enabled windowed mode in the Gothic.ini file and changed the resolution I was still having issues tabbing out of the game but and after digging around I found this: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/4-gothic-and-gothic-ii-fullscreen-fixes/

It was installed easily, enabled windowless borders and made tabbing out of the game possible (Be warned: it crashes the game if you do it during a cutscene). In OBS I was having trouble with "Game Capture" so I decided to try "Window Capture" instead and OBS picked it up straight away on the Preview side. I had to restart OBS for the game to appear on both the preview and program windows but it worked for me. I quit out of the game and restarted it just to make sure everything would work fine afterwards and it did. I hope this works for you.

A quick and dirty screenshot:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thank you!

I was missing doing an LP despite how short my break was.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
this is embarrassing to ask, but can someone recommend me some quick and handy software for making video clips? i just recorded a good hour of sophie 2 footage with elgato's 4k capture utility, and where i'd previously use elgato's built-in video editor software to make clips, this new software doesn't seem to have that functionality anymore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
VLC can do it, as can the W10/11 Photos application. Vidcutter will work just fine too.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

this is embarrassing to ask, but can someone recommend me some quick and handy software for making video clips? i just recorded a good hour of sophie 2 footage with elgato's 4k capture utility, and where i'd previously use elgato's built-in video editor software to make clips, this new software doesn't seem to have that functionality anymore.

Here's a free few options
Option 2

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
speaking of i just used the native windows 10/11 photos app to trim off some of the fat at the start and it was... a bit of a clunky experience, especially with an hour's worth of footage

in other news i just got recommended davinci resolve by a good samaritan so i'll be giving that a whirl soon!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Davinci Resolve is a good program that I use a bunch for general video editing. That sounds a bit more heavyweight than what you were asking for though. I mean, it can absolutely chop up a big block of recorded video into clips for you, and a lot more besides.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah Resolve is a truly excellent non-linear editor. I can't say I wouldn't use it for clipping because..well I have but you know.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

IS this an ok place to ask about Twitch streaming tech support issues? If not, can someone please point me in the right direction?

I am running Twitch Studio on a 2015 Macbook Pro and it works extremely well, until I plug in my phone via USB and add its screen share to my scene, at which point I start getting FPS drops in my game. What's weird is if I add a USB webcam to the scene, I have no issues. I can't imagine a screen share is too different from a webcam but I guess it is.

Any advice about how to improve performance here?

Edit: answered my own question. The solution is to not use the phone as an additional capture source, but instead open QuickTime and start a new movie recording using the phone as a source, then add that window as a new source in the scene. Problem solved!

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 9, 2022

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Is this thread a means of asking questions to Blastinus?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Delphisage posted:

Not strictly, but if it's something tech-related, I'll see if I can answer it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delphisage posted:

Yes. This is it's specific purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Blastinus posted:

Not strictly, but if it's something tech-related, I'll see if I can answer it.

It's not related to tech, sorry. It's an ask on whether I can request an archival of someone else's LP.