Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

That's... a really good explanation. Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Spatial posted:

It's literally a picture of a real CRT screen lol.

is it? i thought it was a filter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say given the weird effects at the edge no that's probably a real CRT.

Though obviously ceci ne pas une CRT

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Agents are GO! posted:

I like the look of the left, the right looks like poo poo. :colbert:

Nah the CRT looks better actually

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/ctznkate/status/1566900517397078016?t=ezuwaslS4dR13MphwS_fMQ&s=19

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Len posted:

none of that is worth having to deal with a crt in 2022
No one was arguing for that? Just loving enjoy the quirks of something for 3 minutes lmfao.

Mr. Fix It posted:

is it? i thought it was a filter
According to the video it's from, it's original console hardware and cable connection plugged into a RetroTINK5x Pro which appears to be a $300 box you can use as a filter (e.g: much more technical and involved than the "CRT Filter" you'll find in $10 indie games on Steam and in retro games emulator collections).

So kind-of both?

OwlFancier posted:

Though obviously ceci ne pas une CRT
:hmmyes:
Ms. Liz is making the best of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would rather have random twitter user for PM tbh.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

OwlFancier posted:

I would rather have random twitter user for PM tbh.

What if it's a hex-av-haver?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Austrian artist Gebhard Sengmüller’s 2008 piece “A Parallel Image” presents an example of video without frames.

There is a direct wire from each sensor element (photoresistor) to each display element (lightbulb).

Recording such an image without reducing it to frames would be a much greater nightmare, of course.

https://vimeo.com/143229255

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Neito posted:

What if it's a hex-av-haver?

no worse than a lateral move, p sure

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spatial posted:

It's literally a picture of a real CRT screen lol.

I don't think it is, I think it's a filter. But even if it is, a digital photograph of a crt reproduced on a computer screen is not an accurate representation of what it looked like on a crt.

I'm not saying crts are these magical beautiful artifacts that made everything better, I'm saying poo poo looked different on them and it's hard to reproduce that accurately.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Skwirl posted:

I don't think it is, I think it's a filter. But even if it is, a digital photograph of a crt reproduced on a computer screen is not an accurate representation of what it looked like on a crt.

I'm not saying crts are these magical beautiful artifacts that made everything better, I'm saying poo poo looked different on them and it's hard to reproduce that accurately.

also gotta factor in you're supposed to be a 1.5-2.5m away on the couch when looking at 'em

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Skwirl posted:

Some CRT shaders can do a really close job, but at that point you’re like, doing sub-pixel calculations to simulate aperture grills and poo poo. Most people are just likely to be lazy and go “round the corners and make every other line a little darker idk”.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I don't think it is, I think it's a filter.

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1408451743214616587

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

mind the walrus posted:

According to the video it's from, it's original console hardware and cable connection plugged into a RetroTINK5x Pro which appears to be a $300 box you can use as a filter (e.g: much more technical and involved than the "CRT Filter" you'll find in $10 indie games on Steam and in retro games emulator collections).

That screenshot is notorious and actually comes from CRTPixels (edit: dammit), a twitter account that is chronically wrong and regularly attributes things to some sort of CRT magic that can be more accurately attributed to "composite is really loving blurry". It's a photo of a TV, specifically a Sony KV-13M51, with the PS1 connected via composite.

the majority of the effect, especially the eyes, comes from horizontal blurring due to how composite signals work- vertically it's somewhat sharp, but horizontally everything gets smeared. here's the effect on my lovely HDTV, with the game running in an emulator on my Xbox, connected over composite, no filters

e: you know, "chronically wrong" is hosed up and I take that back, "regularly misused by people as a citation for why you should buy a CRT to play sonic" is more accurate

dreamin of semen has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Sep 6, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

teeth???

I mean I guess but I thought that was his lower lip. In either case, “added clarity” my rear end.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well that looks like smeared rear end and the CRT one looks nice, so

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dewgy posted:

teeth???

I mean I guess but I thought that was his lower lip. In either case, “added clarity” my rear end.

the teeth part is definitely reading too much into it, that sprite is drawn over an illustration where the mouth is closed

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/castlevania/images/5/51/DracSymph.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200703143712

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't understand why other people don't understand the very fact that we are looking at this through our computer screen or phone means we are seeing a fundamentally different thing than what people would have seen playing castlevania on an actual crt television. And again, I'm not saying one is better or worse, I'm saying it's different.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol drac dialog box is what like a few mins?

people play castlvania because theres kicking rad music while you try to grind out enemies drops.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I am the real hero of this derail because I actually have 3 CRTs hooked up in my house right now but I'm choosing to let this conversation drop.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I do miss the degauss button. I think there's a website that will emulate it for you

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

HopperUK posted:

I do miss the degauss button. I think there's a website that will emulate it for you

I had a big old DEC monitor that ran an automatic degauss every time you switched it on. That thing was so heavy my desk noticeably sagged under the weight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You gotta let it run for a while and not touch it so it really builds up and then CLONGGGG

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OwlFancier posted:

You gotta let it run for a while and not touch it so it really builds up and then CLONGGGG

Coolest drat sound in the world to ten-year-old me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It never got old reaching over to whoever was sitting next to you in the school's computer lab or library and hitting 'em with the ol' degauss.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skwirl posted:

I don't understand why other people don't understand the very fact that we are looking at this through our computer screen or phone means we are seeing a fundamentally different thing than what people would have seen playing castlevania on an actual crt television. And again, I'm not saying one is better or worse, I'm saying it's different.

This is not “The Treachery of Images”.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dreamin of semen posted:

That screenshot is notorious and actually comes from CRTPixels (edit: dammit), a twitter account that is chronically wrong and regularly attributes things to some sort of CRT magic that can be more accurately attributed to "composite is really loving blurry". It's a photo of a TV, specifically a Sony KV-13M51, with the PS1 connected via composite.

the majority of the effect, especially the eyes, comes from horizontal blurring due to how composite signals work- vertically it's somewhat sharp, but horizontally everything gets smeared. here's the effect on my lovely HDTV, with the game running in an emulator on my Xbox, connected over composite, no filters

e: you know, "chronically wrong" is hosed up and I take that back, "regularly misused by people as a citation for why you should buy a CRT to play sonic" is more accurate

OK so you are saying the effect doesn't actually come from the big glass tube and electron gun, it comes from a blur in the crappy analog signal input that controls the electron gun.

But... those are still parts of the same appliance. Would you be happier of people were saying "a 90s TV" or "an analog TV" instead of "a CRT TV"? Cus those are all basically the same thing.

And of course the nature of the technology affects how blur will show itself too. Since it works though scanlines, going across the screen drawing one horizontal line at a time, a temporal blur in the analog signal will result in a mostly-horizontal blur on the screen as opposed to the sort of 360-degree "gaussian blur" effect you'd see in photoshop. And a blurry signal is only possible in the first place if it is an analog device like a CRT, which uses a continual electronic signal over the wire to control the electron gun instead of discrete digital bits and bytes like an LCD or LED display. Your HDTV has a pretty visually different blur effect, because instead of directly controlling the output that blurry signal is getting passed through an analog-to-digital converter and turning into "clean" square pixels, and then it passes that pixel data perfectly and losslessly to the screen. (The pixels are the wrong color, but they're all still perfect* squares with exactly one color each).

e: * they aren't actually perfect, in this extreme closeup you can actually see the separate r/g/b subpixels which are in slightly different horizontal positions within the pixel, which is why the image looks all gross and color banded with vertical rainbow stripes. but you can't see those from farther away

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Sep 6, 2022

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

This is not “The Treachery of Images”.

Cross posting from the Fan Art thread:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1566998273797533696

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
CRT lines and blurriness helped make those blocky-rear end pixel fonts a lot more readable, too. Modern games that try to mimic that style forget this and so have huge swathes of near-unreadable text. :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I shudder to recall how many hours ten-year-old me sunk into copying the blurrily printed-out screenshots of Mega Man characters from Nintendo Power onto graph paper so I could transfer them into 816 Paint on the school's Apple IIgs'es and then blow them up to 2x2 and 4x4 pixel versions and smooth them out and turn them into high-resolution detailed versions

Now we spend whole careers and thousands of dollars on getting the blurriness back

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Skwirl posted:

drat I can't believe it, if so it's an extremely realistic one. Here's a real comparison from a CRT screen (sony trinitron):

It's true it doesn't look exactly the same on a monitor. Although I bet you could get it exactly right on a more capable display like an OLED.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Guys they’re little video game pictures. Wtf cares?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Scratch Monkey posted:

Guys they’re little video game pictures. Wtf cares?

This is all they have

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mods please change my name to Cassandra Ray Tube.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

So this is why Republicans were trying to warn us about the dangers of CRT.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cock and rall torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Cock and rall torture.

Having to deal with Ted Rall would be torture.