Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

As much as I want to see a Versys 300 with full Ohlins, you should probably get a bike that's more suitable for the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suspension + motard wheels will be cheaper than an r3...

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I'm not opposed to dropping like $1500 on the bike and trying it for another year, and it almost seems like suspension and tires might be more important than exhaust + power commander the more I ride.
Racetech is recommending much harder front springs...back spring not much different.
I wonder if a cartridge emulator + front spring for my weight + some decent tires would be decent for now.
I'm wondering if progressive springs might be nice for the beat up street though and a compromise for the track + cartridge emulator.

Edit: Bleh, going to kill the idea of progressive springs. Hitting the progressive part of the spring on the track because the forks are compressed and suddenly having the bike stiffen up doesn't sound super attractive.

It..is fun either way. Nothing else has felt bad at the track except for this one turn so far. I'm thinking honestly it might be good up to the intermediate group which...maybe I might hit next year.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 4, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Progressive springs are a lateral step at best and a waste of cash imo. Springs set for your weight will benefit you on the street IF paired with cartridge emulators, I didn't realise the versys still had damping rod forks. These two in conjunction will make a collosal difference in every scenario that is hard to overstate. Better tires will help you take advantage of it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

almost seems like suspension and tires might be more important than exhaust + power commander the more I ride

It's not 'almost seems' it is a fundamental truth that is the case on literally every bike ever made. Even on a fancy literbike a few percentage points of extra power and smoothness are only worth a fraction of a second a lap while substantial suspension and tyre improvements can be worth multiple seconds, it isn't even close. The corners are where the speed happens, especially on a small bike adding horsepower is basically totally worthless and pretty much just flushing money down the toilet.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am going to send my forks to racetech this winter.
I am super confused though, why are my springs .6kg/mm stock?
The site recommends like .87kg/mm, and even higher for adventure riding - for a 150lb peson who likes default stiffness.

Is it worth having preload adjusters alao added? They seem cheap. Right now has no adjustment.

Why so soft from factory?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Interesting! I’ve never bottomed out my fork, besides once hitting a massive pothole, so I guess I assumed you were bottoming out at entry not mid corner :shobon:

Yeah suspension and tires (and brakes) are far more important than any exhaust or fuel controller. Racers do everything possible because 0.1s per lap can be the winning difference. Amateur track day riders are still shaving seconds off their times and are too inconsistent for a tenth here and there to even matter (myself included).

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Toe Rag posted:

Interesting!

Are you tracking your CBR300R at NYST? You mentioned going there.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

No, that was yummycheez and rev Lester p Moses (not sure on the name spellings here). I’m in SF so Sonoma is my closest track. We are kind of lucky in CA. I have 6 tracks within 5 hours, but I’ve only been to 3 of them so far.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I am going to send my forks to racetech this winter.
I am super confused though, why are my springs .6kg/mm stock?
The site recommends like .87kg/mm, and even higher for adventure riding - for a 150lb peson who likes default stiffness.

Is it worth having preload adjusters alao added? They seem cheap. Right now has no adjustment.

Why so soft from factory?

Yes preload adjusters have value if you're playing with spring rates, definitely get those.

It's like that from the factory for reasons that seem obvious if you apply your brain meat for a second: the factory didn't make the bike for you. They made the bike for millions of different people. They have certain product expectations to meet wrt feel and comfort. Damping rod forks tend to feel super crashy with a higher spring rate. Also in a general sense, because they have no idea who is going to ride the bike they have to err on the side of caution - as you've just discovered, if the bike is too soggy for you, you just have to go slower and the results are basically safe. Otoh if you were super light and the bike was too stiff, the bike can't pitch at all and you would have no grip in basically any circumstance and be at risk of crashing constantly and that leads to lawsuits. This is directly analogous to how basically every street car naturally understeers by design even if it's got 500hp.

Explanation of how cartridge emulators will help you here

Toe Rag posted:

Damping rod v cartridge fork]

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

More of a personal question here but I don't know the backstory to the various characters who post in the thread. Slavvy, how do you know so much about bikes? I appreciate your knowledge on the subject and even if it's nothing to do with anything I need to know it's always a good read. There's a few other people in here whose input has been remarkably helpful too, so thank you in general.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I just wanted to pop into the Newbie thread to give an update on my bike I wrecked about a year ago. I stuck to my word and rebuilt it.

How it started

How it went

How it's going

It's obviously still a work in progress (I'm learning that's probably going to be the case forever lol)

I personally replaced the handle bars, all the gages and bar controls, installed a new muffler and air filter, new battery (li-on), fabbed a new rear fender, replaced and upgraded all the lights and electrical. (PO had done so many janky fixes, most of the wiring was held together with electrical tape) Learned that the PO had managed to completely gently caress the clutch so I taught myself to replace that. Oh yeah, and I changed the oil/ oil filter and spark plugs. Right now I'm trying to figure out a the best way to install the new seatpan I made so I can mount my new seat.

On top of all that I've put in about 2000 more miles on the bike and become friends with the motorcycle mechanic down the road.

Have I mentioned that I've never worked on a car, let alone a motorcycle, before this? Thank you Youtube!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

More of a personal question here but I don't know the backstory to the various characters who post in the thread. Slavvy, how do you know so much about bikes? I appreciate your knowledge on the subject and even if it's nothing to do with anything I need to know it's always a good read. There's a few other people in here whose input has been remarkably helpful too, so thank you in general.

Self employed bike mechanic for about ten years, burnt out car mechanic before that, burnt out failed engineer before that. Bikes are the first thing I found that I couldn't get bored of, like a puzzle with infinite layers you can never quite solve and for a while they consumed me completely. I was very lucky in being able to ride a huge variety of bikes on the same highly technical stretch of road for a good 5-6 years, also was defacto crew chief for a couple of people's post-classic racing efforts at the same time. That's about it.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
great work on that tu! what was replacing the clutch like?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
This hobby can get expensive. Eyeballing a toy carrier.
Would be cool to set up a trailer wirh a floor, AC, heater, desk, as a portable garage/work area too. Saw so many people at the track with beds in their utility trailer, fire pits, awnings.

Going to wait at least one more year on a different bike. Still enjoying the versys 300, going to spend a little on upgrading the suspension.

Edit:
It's mine. Been eyeing these for a while. Used trailer prices are insane, just went new. Ugh my bank account :saddowns:
Cheaper than the campers I've been looking at and wondering if I'd use.

Planning on installing some flooring.

Most of the people at the track are super rich. People fly in their own planes, everyone has a giant trailer, fire pits, beds in them. Probably going to be a monthly thing for me next year.

No new\new used bike next year I don't think.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 6, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Slavvy posted:

Self employed bike mechanic for about ten years, burnt out car mechanic before that, burnt out failed engineer before that. Bikes are the first thing I found that I couldn't get bored of, like a puzzle with infinite layers you can never quite solve and for a while they consumed me completely. I was very lucky in being able to ride a huge variety of bikes on the same highly technical stretch of road for a good 5-6 years, also was defacto crew chief for a couple of people's post-classic racing efforts at the same time. That's about it.

Ah I did wonder if there was some engineering in your past due to some of the explanations. Awesome. Thank you for explaining and thank you again for what you've posted and for what you will post when I inevitably ask something in future.

*edit: actually while I remember a new bike turned up in the work car park recently, an immaculately clean 2008 Honda Hornet in white. It looks awesome.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 6, 2022

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ah I did wonder if there was some engineering in your past due to some of the explanations. Awesome. Thank you for explaining and thank you again for what you've posted and for what you will post when I inevitably ask something in future.

*edit: actually while I remember a new bike turned up in the work car park recently, an immaculately clean 2008 Honda Hornet in white. It looks awesome.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome having Slavvy around. There's so much garbage information out there. I've definitely been steered in better directions on several occasions here.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
This came from one of my mailing lists may be useful for some folks: https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/paulb

quote:

The purpose of the Paul Bachorz Rider Safety Training Grant is to award grants to individuals in the motorcycle riding community to assist them in pursuing rider education and training opportunities. The Foundation will award grants of up to $250 for MOA members, or up to $100 for non-members (neither amount to exceed the actual cost of the training), towards the cost of participation in an approved training course. A committee comprised of 3 Foundation Board members will review all requests submitted and exercise broad discretion in approving training proposals.

Basically, you can get a grant for motorcycle training from this foundation. I can't vouch for this, don't know what the catch is, or how many grants there are to go around. But hey, free money.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

T Zero posted:

This came from one of my mailing lists may be useful for some folks: https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/paulb

Basically, you can get a grant for motorcycle training from this foundation. I can't vouch for this, don't know what the catch is, or how many grants there are to go around. But hey, free money.

Thanks for posting. Looks like it also covers Tony's track days as well as MSF.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Not sure if anyone follows the you tube drama or cares , I only know because his videos are in my feed for motorcycle stuff

Apparently Yammie Noob fired his long time worker and then did an exit interview video , and posted it to YouTube

He’s since taken down the video after the intense backlash , but this kind fellow has reposted it

https://youtu.be/uXOdhHJjwMg

Since the video went live YN has lost 10k subs , and Spite the Fellow that was fired has gained 40k or more

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Blue On Blue posted:

Not sure if anyone follows the you tube drama or cares , I only know because his videos are in my feed for motorcycle stuff

Apparently Yammie Noob fired his long time worker and then did an exit interview video , and posted it to YouTube

He’s since taken down the video after the intense backlash , but this kind fellow has reposted it

https://youtu.be/uXOdhHJjwMg

Since the video went live YN has lost 10k subs , and Spite the Fellow that was fired has gained 40k or more

Yammie Noobs is one of the most useless channels I have had the unfortune of watching in my decades on youtube.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The only good motorcycle YouTubers are old British dudes and like the Daily Rider videos.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Yammie Noobs is one of the most useless channels I have had the unfortune of watching in my decades on youtube.

I can't even be sure i've watched any of his videos, i just know they're constantly recommended though

I usually watch DanDanTheFireman if I want bike related stuff

Spiggy posted:

The only good motorcycle YouTubers are old British dudes and like the Daily Rider videos.

Is that the Revzilla daily rider? I've watched some of those too, not bad

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Blue On Blue posted:

I can't even be sure i've watched any of his videos, i just know they're constantly recommended though

I usually watch DanDanTheFireman if I want bike related stuff

Three dot menu -> don't recommend channel

Yammie also has like 1 million subscribers, losing 10k is barely going to be noticeable.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Blue On Blue posted:

Ya, I like it because I'm predominately a commuter and a weekend cruiser so their recs usually line up with how I'll realistically be riding.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yammie Noob has 1M subs? Jesus H

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Xakura posted:

Three dot menu -> don't recommend channel

Sadly, no way of blocking his channel from search results. I’m pretty sure he has a clickbait hot take video on every motorcycle made in the last 30 years.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
He also runs a questionably legal lottery that he brands as "giveaways"

Also, lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

some kinda jackal posted:

Sadly, no way of blocking his channel from search results. I’m pretty sure he has a clickbait hot take video on every motorcycle made in the last 30 years.

Ah, yes, the "Grim Reapers"-problem. I can't remember if there's some plugin that fixes this, but you can just include "-yammie" in your search.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

It shows you that a total lack of talent, knowledge and charisma are no match for relentless self promotion

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
When I first got into motorcycling, his videos were like an STD.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

i think in that video he mentions the channel pulling in like $250k a month

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So why did he fire him? I can't watch cringey/embarrassing stuff and this seems like both.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

So why did he fire him? I can't watch cringey/embarrassing stuff and this seems like both.

Same

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

apparently there were two guys doing one job but one of them owns the company. it was an extremely weird choice to both do and put out that video

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

As wang said , YN feels he has been too busy doing stuff like running the company as CEO , boring things like counting money and such, he misses doing the videos and that end of things

He wanted to go back to doing more video content and for some reason Spite was in his way , so he fired him.

Seems like the worst decision someone could make instead of promoting or shifting people around , he straight up fired the guy who helped build his channel to where it is today

On top of that he posts a video explaining why it’s happening and then drags the poor guy in-front of the camera too

Not sure how it works in other countries but here that would open you up to lawsuits and human rights complaints

Either way , me not knowing anything about this YN guy I learned everything I needed to watching the video, so I guess thanks for setting the record straight bud ?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Maybe they are still good friends and Spite wanted to start his own channel and this is a 4d chess move to promote the new channel.

I mean it isn't but it will do that.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

he makes click bait listicles and uses stock footage for the visuals, its so bad

he also smashed his bike while ripping on the wrong side of the road head on into a porsche and hes lucky hes not dead

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 15, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

he makes click bait listicles and uses stock footage for the visuals, its so bad

he also smashed his bike while ripping on the wrong side of the road head on into a porsche and hes lucky hes not dead

too bad Death doesn't do mulligans

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My only possible defense of Yammie Noob would be that I find him less irritating than the beards and bikes Jesus dude. He has multiple channels and they’re all terrible.

I dislike them both, but “here’s an unrelated Bible verse” dude who never actually tells you anything of interest is more annoying to me.

Spite was far and away the best part of the channel (and he was always just fine), so it’s kind of a relief to just block the channel entirely now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

numberoneposter posted:

You forgot to mention the piss poor compressed jpg memes slapped over the stock footage during the lists which somehow have a 15 minute runtime but are completely void of interesting insight, knowledge, or entertainment.

I used to watch YN before I just realized there's nothing to gain and I was just wasting time while high.

DDFM videos were nice to watch being a new rider and getting his take on rider safety and awareness, but after you've seen a few videos you've pretty much seen them all.

Daily Rider videos are great, and the other stuff that Revzilla puts out with both Ari and Zach are good to fantastic.

Spite seems like the kind of guy that I'd go out on a ride and hang out with, but he's a bit too monotone to carry on for longer videos.