Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Erpy posted:

It's not my intention to be an rear end about it, I simply feel that the Zerofield team was wasting their talent by focussing their time on the newest games that were guaranteed to receive a commercial release announcement in the (relatively) short term. And I say that as a former fan-game developer who spent nearly 8 years working on fan-remakes.

They've helped a bunch of people play some rad games and i'm sure their translations are going to keep doing that. 4-5 years is a really rough turn around on localisations these days and their translations are doing a good job of helping fans continue to experience the series contemporary to their release. So good on em honestly. They did good work.

I'm sure someone will eventually do the same for Kuro 2 as well. Series is decently well known i'd say, so there's a pretty good chance someone will take a crack at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
nisa doing their best to kill the franchise by making GBS threads on the most hardcore fans. the only ones who are still interested despite the years long waits for other translations. a really poo poo company. by the time hajimari comes out officially, I doubt I'll even remember it.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I am one of those old Yakuza fans that waited years for the translations of the newer games once upon a time and look where we are now with that series.

Maybe one day here it will happen......one day.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm not sure about CSIII but the Zerofield team has had spreadsheets since at least CSIV, interesting that NISA would tell them to stop now. Maybe so the same people don't start working on Kuro 2 at the end of the month? The translations probably kept the fanbase pretty engaged, I haven't met anyone that used the early translations suddenly declare they wouldn't buy the official western releases down the line.

Pretty sure the power of the internet will get Kuro 2 translations out there at some point, especially assuming Clouded Leopard does a PC release of it eventually.

I've beaten the Zerofield stuff on PC multiple times and still plan on buying at least the Switch versions of both.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

itll be more like 5 years before kuro 2 comes out tbh

Maybe I'll be able to buy a PS5 by then lmao

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's annoying that best I can tell, NISA (or any other translating company) have to wait for Falcom to release the game in Japan before they're allowed to start translation. I'm not even asking for a simultaneous release so much as letting them start work on translating the bulk and let them work on the changes after a game's released.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That could be the case but a Korean and Chinese language version of Kuro was just released on Steam. Almost a full year out from the original release but definitely quicker turnaround than whenever the English version comes out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Clouded Leopard also do the port work themselves IIRC

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That could be the case but a Korean and Chinese language version of Kuro was just released on Steam. Almost a full year out from the original release but definitely quicker turnaround than whenever the English version comes out.

Which then makes me wonder if they have more access or NISA is just slow.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm assuming NISA just got a lot on their plate and not enough people to go around. Maybe also Trails isn't a high priority for them for whatever reason.

I also think that NISA might do the japanese Steam releases of Trails games? So even though PC ain't huge there you'd gotta think NISA would have decent access to the script and everything if they're involved in the domestic market as well.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tesseraction posted:

Which then makes me wonder if they have more access or NISA is just slow.

More access. I believe Clouded Leapard has close ties with Sony, who is frequently involved on the technical side of things during Falcom's game development cycles. Neither XSeed nor NISA have that advantage.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Since people were talking about Emma's important bonding event, I would like to reiterate that the way she went about that made me not only rule her out as a potential match for Rean, but also made me feel like, on the whole, she's probably his worst friend.

It's perhaps a hypocritical position, but I am not sure. Rean is self sacrificing to a fault, but he's usually pretty honest and straightforward about it. I just remember having a viscerally upset reaction when I saw that. I can't believe people pick her at the end.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
From what I can tell NISA does around 8 games a year, some likely dont take long to localize as others, but it's still a significant load. For me at least i'd be 100% fine if they kept the Japanese audio and just translated and edited the text if that led to a quicker turn around as I imagine it's quite a bit of work getting the English dubbing done. The unfortunate paradox us that the western market pretty much demands English dubbing in order to bring more sales numbers.

i think I spent at least 200 hours getting the plat in Japanese Hajimari and would do it again for the Western release. It's a bit of a strongarm move by NISA if they really thought it'd be a sales threat. I don't see any significant boycott happening but there is certainly some backlash.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dubbing is a pittance of time compared to editing text. Especially for Trails where the vast majority of text is unvoiced.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

without fan translations we wouldn't even have Zero releasing officially on the 27th so I just find NISA's stance here hard to swallow

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Was there a reason Xseed lost the Trails license? If NISA is struggling so much to get the games out in any reasonable timeframe maybe they bit off more than they could chew?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The president of falcom is drinking buddies with nisa and threw xseed under the bus on the issue of japanese voice acting being suddenly freely available

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
NISA sucks a butt

Like, a really nasty butt

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tae posted:

The president of falcom is drinking buddies with nisa and threw xseed under the bus on the issue of japanese voice acting being suddenly freely available

That doesn't seem like a strong move for moving your games in western markets!! You'd really think they'd be more concerned about their games getting broader releases without multi-year delays

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

No Dignity posted:

That doesn't seem like a strong move for moving your games in western markets!! You'd really think they'd be more concerned about their games getting broader releases without multi-year delays

NISA also supposedly promised same time switch, PC, and Playstation releases for Ys 8. Among other stuff I think. Instead we got a big hole.

(the switch version got delayed several times and the PC version was busted til they let Durante fix it a few years later)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

Well, that and XSeed passed on Tokyo Xanadu (since Falcom failed to mention it wasn't going to remain Vita-only for long) and so Falcom started shopping around for other interested parties. And NISA probably outbid XSeed, promised a Switch port of Ys VIII (which XSeed couldn't deliver) and promised a simultanous console and PC release. (which they were forced to walk back)

The 7th Guest posted:

without fan translations we wouldn't even have Zero releasing officially on the 27th so I just find NISA's stance here hard to swallow

Different circumstances. Zero and Azure were products that were long considered commercially non-viable. Fan projects tend to co-exist best with commercial publishers when fan producers focus on preservation of older IP that's threatening to fall by the way-side. But ZeroField's more recent work had nothing to do with preservation since it targetted Falcom's most recent and most commercially valuable releases. When you go from preservation to non-licensed competition, that's when publishers stop looking the other way. Their stance was already made clear when that translation patch for Trails to Reverie was C&D-ed last year. This recent event was a surprise for noone who was paying attention.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Erpy posted:

Different circumstances. Zero and Azure were products that were long considered commercially non-viable.
huh could've fooled me, seems like NISA views them as commercially viable since they bought the translations and are promoting and releasing Zero & Azure like any other trails game!!

they're so full of poo poo

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

The 7th Guest posted:

huh could've fooled me, seems like NISA views them as commercially viable since they bought the translations and are promoting and releasing Zero & Azure like any other trails game!!

That's why I said "for long". As in the 6 years between Sky SC's release and Geofront's patches.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The 7th Guest posted:

That might have been part of their contract with Falcom - they get localization rights for several of the Trails games, but they have to do localizations for Zero and Azure as part of the package.

Cold Steel 4 spoilers:

Act 3, Operation 1

- The surprise appearance of the airship and the switcheroo of required party members was a nice twist. I do like proactive bad guys. They’re not entirely just sitting around watching Rean slowly knock off the Divine Knights in Rivalries one at a time.
- The cutscenes before and after the fight were a lot longer than I was expecting.
- I like Rean angrily calling Alberich a liar. I also was a bit surprised by that because Rean rarely reacts that strongly with that much genuine anger in his voice.
- I also like sentimentality not being Alisa's reason for saying this isn’t in Irina’s character, which makes sense, because Reinford is successful in the current economic climate. The chaos and devastation of a great war doesn’t fit its business model.

- Honestly for a long time I really, really could not figure out what the deal was with Irina Reinford. Now all the pieces are there. At last it finally becomes clear. Her big secret is that deep down… she’s a romantic. There was even a hint of that going way back to the Academy festival, when she accepted a dance with Machias’s father, saying “both of our partners left the dance all too soon.” She has been living the last 10 years in a sort of emotional suspended animation. She knew Franz had secrets, she knew that he wasn’t dead, she didn’t know the whole story, but she was still waiting. When he returned, she took that one shot… and finally it did become clear that it might be Franz’s body walking around, but the man she fell in love with wasn’t inside.

- I do appreciate that characters acknowledge that what ****** George Nome ****** did was wrong, even if he may not have directly killed anyone. I also appreciate the weight of the guilt on George. I also appreciate that the characters acknowledge the guilt without absolving him of it. A little bit more of this sort of thing when it comes to Crow would have been good - that same "hey, you actually killed a whole bunch of people" never gets the same treatment. I also like telling George that if he really regrets his actions, to help them instead of taking the quick and easy way out, that makes a lot of sense. It's pragmatic, doesn't give him a free pass, and gives a path to redemption.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

xseed also lost a ton of money due to sony changing its censorship policies at the last second and forcing them to delay a senkags game to cut content from it, and then that series kinda died on the vine because of those policy changes. senkags was one of xseed's big earners, and delaying a game always hurts the wallet. so they had to let people go. when one side is promising the moon and the other side is going 'we will probably release these games slower than previously and with less marketing than before,' it isnt hard to see which will win.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Since people were talking about Emma's important bonding event, I would like to reiterate that the way she went about that made me not only rule her out as a potential match for Rean, but also made me feel like, on the whole, she's probably his worst friend.

It's perhaps a hypocritical position, but I am not sure. Rean is self sacrificing to a fault, but he's usually pretty honest and straightforward about it. I just remember having a viscerally upset reaction when I saw that. I can't believe people pick her at the end.

The "usually" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. Rean being borderline suicidal and trying to hide it from his friends is a big part of his character. If you think Emma trying to do what Rean spends most of his time doing is unforgivable than Rean is an utter poo poo to most of his friends an uncommonly large amount of the time.

The thing is that Rean isn't. Rean has a hard life and is depressed in a lot of ways and his friends understand that and want to help him. Likewise Emma wants to help Rean but has a lot of similar problems to Rean. The game pretty strongly contrasts them reasonably often and their actual interactions are largely two people who understand each other more than either of them quite gets. (Rean more than Emma earlier on but Emma gets Rean more than some other characters, as opposed to Rean The Friendship Speech Coolguy persona.) Emma and Rean can both be good friends and good romantic interests because they are fairly equal with one another.

Also just in raw plot terms there's a ton of plot-crossover with them that there isn't with any other character, up to and including the 'rival' team of Crowe/Vita in CS2 mirroring Rean and Emma, Celine spending a bunch of time around Rean, Emma being tied to the overall plot in a lot of ways, etc, etc. So it's pretty easy to imagine her as a romantic interest for Rean if just through plot momentum. Certainly easier to imagine than a lot of Rean's other potential love interests. (TBH I feel like Towa -> Emma -> Laura -> Alisa are basically the only ones who make any sense and also aren't loving creepy.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 3, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Terper posted:

Dubbing is a pittance of time compared to editing text. Especially for Trails where the vast majority of text is unvoiced.

Yeah, i wish more of cold steel was voiced

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think almost at the last chapter of Ys 8. I really liked the different timelines plot and finally finding Dana was a great moment. This game definitely has more character and story than Ys Origin/Ys7 which are the only other Ys games I played. I thought this series was mainly focused on combat but the story is intriguing. The base building on the island with the other survivor was well done and actually made sense for the plot. The whole exploring and base building all went together, you find more survivors, more supplies to build more poo poo and you get stronger. Then the flashback/dreams of Dana was confusing at first but then when you figure out that she is in a different timeline that is really interesting.

The gameplay is also good, I do like the flashguard/flashmove mechanic that wasn't in Ys7. Definitely makes the combat more skill based than just having higher stat than enemy like the other Ys games I played. I didn't actually realize until very recently that flash move and flash guard have different bonuses. So for most of the game I kept doing flash move which just slows time while the flash guard is the better option as it increases your dmg by a decent chunk.

I've done most of the sidequest, I am currenty at almost 36 hours? I know there is different endings but I believe the real ending is only locked behind a certain approval rating by the village? I should be done soon but definitely really enjoyed this game, so far I would say Ys Origins still had better boss fights and music but this is a massive improvement over Ys 7.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Uh, flash guard is in Ys 7 and it also gives you a damage buff there.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I remember not finding out about flash guard in Ys 7 until I had already beat the game so it is either poorly tutorialized or I just missed where the game told you you could do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It absolutely tells you in the tutorial, I remember going "oh man Flash Guard is cool"

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ImpAtom posted:

It absolutely tells you in the tutorial, I remember going "oh man Flash Guard is cool"

I don't think it tells you in the Ys Seven tutorial. Although in the PC version, you still see the option exists when you map your buttons and there's a button specifically for guarding.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
6th Stratum of Sky 3rd is basically just the "gently caress you, waste time" gimmick hour, isn't it. God, two of these down and already I'm irritated, especially since I had to look up what the hell the first monument asked of me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Erpy posted:

I don't think it tells you in the Ys Seven tutorial. Although in the PC version, you still see the option exists when you map your buttons and there's a button specifically for guarding.

Ya I played it this year, I don't remember it at all but Ys 7 is so forgettable that it could have been there and I forgot it. Also I found the PC version was not that good for some reason, I could not figure out how to fix my resolution and ui. Playing 8 on PS4 so far no issues.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
At the risk of firing up a discussion again, I would like to point at this video -- not really the video itself, as it contains a lot of speculation (and some questionable numbers) and kinda reiterates a lot of what I suspect most people here already know anyway, but specifically the top comment below it from Hatsuu/Leona Renee (formerly known as Brittany Avery) that sheds some light on how Falcom treats the localization process (that is, not very well) and explains part of why the gap between JP and EN version is so long compared to most JRPGs these days. As you're reading this keep in mind that all of this has to happen after the game is out in Japan, as Falcom does not hand out the script/code/voice files/etc. to western studios until then.

quote:

This is a great video, CommRio. :D I'm the Leona Renee mentioned in the video, and I can say it all pretty much tracks. Even if I'm no longer involved in the series, your thoughts/assumptions on the problems with localizing future games (including Falcom going ham on releasing multiple Trails games year after year recently) also tracks.

I want to say thank you for expressing such concern for the staff. Jessica Chavez has also mentioned the extreme stress of Sky FC and SC, and yeah, SC in particular ended up being multiple instances of me sitting in my office chair for over 30 hours in a row trying to get things done. Sleeping in the office. Grabbing quadruple espresso shots at 9PM to keep on through the night. All that good stuff.
The burnout was so extreme that I was feeling similar thoughts Dice had, but I didn't want to acknowledge them and was even angry it got in the way of progress. I felt at the time if I could power through the worst, then so could he. It was the wrong way to go about it completely, but depression and suicidal thoughts put you in a very dark place, and I can easily say while I love the Trails series with all my heart, no game is worth burning yourself out to such a degree. The series itself was not only a huge learning experience from a localization perspective, but it was also a learning experience on a person's physical limits as well. I do still push myself from time to time due to the nature of the industry, but I'm also very adamant about keeping my free time, getting lots of sleep, and generally avoiding burnout as much as possible. I'm a freelancer now, so when I feel burnout coming on, I communicate as much with the client and always choose my health first. I also heavily encourage others who are younger and more willing to burn themselves out to do the same before it comes to the worst.
It's worth noting that coworkers tried to tell me to stop, but I became obsessed with meeting a certain quality standard for the games. I was getting almost offended when people told me to stop after a certain point, but hey, depression/burnout brain makes you think wildly stupid things.

One thing I didn't see mentioned in the video was voice recording. Only the English localization does voice recording, and the workload involving providing an English dub option has evolved a lot over the years. Falcom was reluctant to provide original audio in the beginning, or rather, we were never made aware of the hoops to jump to get them and at least thought they were completely closed to us. At this point, it could have been either; they could have relaxed this policy as the years went on or something else entirely, but that we couldn't get the JP audio in the beginning and grew used to this policy was the truth. In any case, dubbing a game adds to a lot of time. There's:

- formatting the script
- finding all the timed lines
--- Falcom never told us these timed lines. The only way to know was by watching all the cutscenes and noticing them, and by TOCS4, there was hundreds upon hundreds to find
--- There were also lines that weren't timed as a whole but "timed" because facial expressions changed midway through a line. This number was also in the hundreds and I just had to watch all the cutscenes and figure them out myself
- listing out all possible SFX added on to lines like echos, radio SFX, etc.
- listening to all files beforehand and sorting them into folders by character since they're delivered in a single folder
- watching all cutscenes multiple times/writing all the stage notes about the scene for the actor (basic emotional delivery, physical distance, relationship with people they're speaking to, what's happening in the scene, etc.)

While I wasn't present for recording for TOCS3/TOCS4, I tried helping behind the scenes while I could. I wrote stage notes for TOCS3 until I was too sick and had to drop out (I was sick from burnout and taking isoniazid for tuberculosis at the time), and I wrote TOCS4 stage notes up until the finale chapter. One watch was to purely catch timed lines and highlight the Japanese in the script so the English could match changes in expression or full timing, and the other was writing context directions. Do both at once, and the process becomes agonizingly slow.

All in all, TOCS1-TOCS4 included approx. 15k lines each (TOCS1-2 had about 10k lines each, but we recorded about 5k new lines per game for the PC release). The process, recording included, can take 4-6 months of work. Granted, you're multitasking other things at the same time, but it's just not a quick process at all. You also have the check each file afterward and make sure there aren't any errors.

I was co-director in the recording studio for TOCS1-2, and the process also is exhausting. Sometimes ten hours of listening intently to line after line, scrutinizing in an instant if it fits the context or doesn't. And since characters are recorded one person at a time, you also had to memorize if a previous read matches a current read. Like this:

Person 1: This is...
Person 2: ...great!

Person 1 might've been recorded two months ago, but I still need to remember how they read their line to ensure Person 2's delivery sounds right when matched with Person 1's line. I would usually review the cutscenes a third time for every character the morning they were set to record (so on the day Alfin was recorded, I'd wake up early and review all Alfin voiced scenes in context). By the end, I saw these cutscenes dozens of times.

From what I've seen watching folks play through the games on YouTube, Hajimari no Kiseki and Kuro no Kiseki bump up the timed lines/partial timed lines for facial expressions even MORE than previous games. Not only that, but there are scenes with super fluid animation, meaning they could possibly fall into the realm of ADR territory (where you have to record to picture to match the animation). That also adds time. I don't know how many files they have since they're Japanese only atm and I'm no longer part of the series, but I imagine those games would take even more time than the 4-6 month window to prep. *

***This is pure speculation based on my past experience with the series. Please don't read into this.

Personally, even though I'm a big Trails fan, I'm glad I've only worked on the games once they're completed. Given the heavy lore and how much I've relied on the finished visuals to edit scenes or direct the voice acting, I can't imagine going without visual context. I can't imagine, with the lore as heavy as it is, working on this while there are still changes being made to the script in the Japanese. Honestly, it would lead to a shoddier product. Maybe it would be faster, but the cost in quality could potentially be severe. These aren't one-off titles, but one story in the middle of a grander story. It's hard enough picking up hints in future games enough as it is!

Again, thanks for the great video! Can't believe I only came across it now.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 6, 2022

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it's not just nisa that's to blame. falcom also mismanages the property, as evidenced by the extremely long translation times, rushed development, and taking 2 games worth of story and stretching it out to 4 games. I also don't really care that much about graphics, but trails being a generation behind current gen competitors isn't helping too much either. I'm not expecting some AAA graphics, but cold steel 4 (last one I played) is pretty bad looking. it's sad, once they transitioned to 3d they lost a lot of the charm that crossbell and sky had.

I mean it's just indefensible. by the time kuro comes out in english, the next arc of the story will be starting, lol.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

At the risk of firing up a discussion again, I would like to point at this video -- not really the video itself, as it contains a lot of speculation (and some questionable numbers) and kinda reiterates a lot of what I suspect most people here already know anyway, but specifically the top comment below it from Hatsuu/Leona Renee (formerly known as Brittany Avery) that sheds some light on how Falcom treats the localization process (that is, not very well) and explains part of why the gap between JP and EN version is so long compared to most JRPGs these days. As you're reading this keep in mind that all of this has to happen after the game is out in Japan, as Falcom does not hand out the script/code/voice files/etc. to western studios until then.

The 2nd to last line is the most important tbh. Game Development of any kind is COMPLETELY different than actually playing a game, and its pretty drat hellish even at it's best. Really it's honestly amazing she and the others still love the series as much as they do after working on it like that.

Also would it be insensitive in any way to ask why Hatsuu's name changed?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ImpAtom posted:

The "usually" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. Rean being borderline suicidal and trying to hide it from his friends is a big part of his character. If you think Emma trying to do what Rean spends most of his time doing is unforgivable than Rean is an utter poo poo to most of his friends an uncommonly large amount of the time.

The thing is that Rean isn't. Rean has a hard life and is depressed in a lot of ways and his friends understand that and want to help him. Likewise Emma wants to help Rean but has a lot of similar problems to Rean. The game pretty strongly contrasts them reasonably often and their actual interactions are largely two people who understand each other more than either of them quite gets. (Rean more than Emma earlier on but Emma gets Rean more than some other characters, as opposed to Rean The Friendship Speech Coolguy persona.) Emma and Rean can both be good friends and good romantic interests because they are fairly equal with one another.

Also just in raw plot terms there's a ton of plot-crossover with them that there isn't with any other character, up to and including the 'rival' team of Crowe/Vita in CS2 mirroring Rean and Emma, Celine spending a bunch of time around Rean, Emma being tied to the overall plot in a lot of ways, etc, etc. So it's pretty easy to imagine her as a romantic interest for Rean if just through plot momentum. Certainly easier to imagine than a lot of Rean's other potential love interests. (TBH I feel like Towa -> Emma -> Laura -> Alisa are basically the only ones who make any sense and also aren't loving creepy.)

This is reasonable enough. And it's hypocritical, (of Rean) but only to a degree.

Where Emma fails for me is there's no immediacy in her plan. It's a thing she thought up and carried out. In Rean's suicidal stands, it's "I have no choice. I guess I had better (usually use his power)". And yeah, I do agree that it is nonetheless kind of lovely that he keeps doing it. He gets called out on it quite a lot.

Emma very deliberately set up a situation where she wouldn't get a "that won't be necessary!", And I find that hosed up. It's why it doesn't feel like the same thing.

I also think that being similar to Rean here isn't a plus. It's his worst trait, probably. He doesn't need it reflected back at him in an even worse shade.

It's just my take. If you like Emma, well, I am glad her writing hit for you. I literally have a Machias avatar, so I'm pretty used to other people having different takes on characters.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's just my take. If you like Emma, well, I am glad her writing hit for you. I literally have a Machias avatar, so I'm pretty used to other people having different takes on characters.
Wait, do people not think Machias is one of the best members of Class 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
He sort of stops having an arc or purpose in the story after CS1 but he's not alone in that regard.