Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I recently got some goats and I take them through the forest on walks and let them browse the foliage at their own pace and I've never felt more centered in my life than on our walks ihe forest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

FacelessVoid posted:

cadmium and arsenic accumulates in bottom of GSA since there is no outflow and now that it's causing heavy metal dust storms lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qr-wDh95TM

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

500excf type r posted:

I recently got some goats and I take them through the forest on walks and let them browse the foliage at their own pace and I've never felt more centered in my life than on our walks ihe forest

do you do this as part of a program with local trails authority to ensure that the trails are nice well kept for hikers?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wild that I had that recommended to me yesterday by YouTube. The algorithm must like milk

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

do you do this as part of a program with local trails authority to ensure that the trails are nice well kept for hikers?

I own 7.5 acres of woodlands and have miles of walking trails on it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FacelessVoid posted:

cadmium and arsenic accumulates in bottom of GSA since there is no outflow and now that it's causing heavy metal dust storms lol

Truly god hates the Mormons the most.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Wild that I had that recommended to me yesterday by YouTube. The algorithm must like milk

might have noticed us looking at all the cattle dying in kansas from the heat dome earlier this summer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

The truly rich will be insulated for a while, but "landowners" haven't been a protected class in the US for a long time. Every major hurricane, flood, or wildfire leaves a ton of homeowners completely screwed. You're still more likely than not to get a reasonable settlement from insurance, but it's becoming more and more of a gamble to own in really vulnerable areas.

some highly vulnerable places have full state support tho. like the jersey shore got owned by sandy. total destruction and nj and the army corps spent all the money on earth to make it an even bigger catastrophe next time because the beach= $$$

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Imagining a political cartoon where it's John wicks dog getting killed but the dog is labeled fossil fuels and Keanu is labeled gaia

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

500excf type r posted:

I own 7.5 acres of woodlands and have miles of walking trails on it

that’s neat I would love to pet your goats

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I can't stop thinking about how much I don't like hearing the term "phase change" with respect to a planetary wide system.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Situation Normal All Fahrenheited Up

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

500excf type r posted:

this is good

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

500excf type r posted:

what are you gonna do with the goats

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

what are you gonna do with the goats

Love them for the next 7-10 years of their life.

Two are boys and will I guess always be pets. I would like to milk the two girls and make butter and cheese but I would rather my goats be happy so if I don't think I can handle it then I'm not going to subject them to it. I need to talk to their vet later this month about pregnant goats and milking etc.

Additionally I have 16 chickens which means at like peak production I'd be getting close to a dozen eggs a day and a half gallon of goat milk.

I just planted four apple trees today also and will be planting more fruit trees in April.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

If you're already getting a half a gallon of goat milk per day from the chickens what would you need to milk the goats for?

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
milking a chicken sounds tough but we’re just gonna have to adapt to new normals

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

500excf type r posted:

Love them for the next 7-10 years of their life.

Two are boys and will I guess always be pets. I would like to milk the two girls and make butter and cheese but I would rather my goats be happy so if I don't think I can handle it then I'm not going to subject them to it. I need to talk to their vet later this month about pregnant goats and milking etc.

Additionally I have 16 chickens which means at like peak production I'd be getting close to a dozen eggs a day and a half gallon of goat milk.

I just planted four apple trees today also and will be planting more fruit trees in April.

Hi can I be your husband. I come with a wife and 3 dogs

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you can milk anything, in the sense of oat milk, almond milk etc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like to milk giant underground reservoirs of hydrocarbons

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Microplastics posted:

If anyone is looking at the current thread title and doubting it, I have corroborating evidence in the form of this photo of earth recently taken from space

i hate this little bastard. glad hes burning up soon

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

wheres arf? i miss him

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

do you?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I believe he's busy not watching speedruns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1566797139023462405

does this hold up because it's setting off my Malcolm Gladwell "bad thing actually good" counterintuitive bullshit alarms

Griz
May 21, 2001

i've been using the same 99c RPET wegmans bag for the past two years and this guy is some kind of corporate shill so i'm leaning toward bullshit

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i have vast untapped shale deposits, greg. could you milk me?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1566797139023462405

does this hold up because it's setting off my Malcolm Gladwell "bad thing actually good" counterintuitive bullshit alarms

Here's another chart from the same source that looks only at greenhouse gas emissions. The "environmental impact" chart seems to be weighted very heavily towards water use.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the reason single use plastic bags are bad has nothing to do with the amount of resources it takes to produce them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The plastic bag thing has been going around for a while and I've never seen anything to really refute it. Most of the counterpoints I have seen are really wishy-washy "well you should choose what's best for you and isn't it nice to reuse the same trendy bag?" kind of bullshit which also isn't reassuring.

I kind of suspect that it's probably reasonably accurate as long as you don't look too hard at the waste issue. Single-use plastic bags generate a poo poo ton of waste, whereas even cheap reusable bags tend to be really durable.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Depends extremely strongly on how you define environmental impact

Cotton does need a lot of water to grow. It doesn't produce nano cellulose particles.

They say growing, weaving, & using an organic cotton bag 1 time a week for 384 years is the same environmental damage as producing 20000 plastic bags and throwing them away, unless I have completely misunderstood

So technically 20k people should not all run out and buy several acres of cotton fields worth of bags is a different way of thinking about it?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
a thing that seems confusing for a lot of people is that there are multiple orthogonal ecological catastrophes caused by humans. plastic bags are bad because people absolutely cannot stop littering, plus our method of garbage disposal is “bury it in the ground or dump it in the ocean,” and so you get thin plastic fragments blowing around everywhere and it kills wildlife and eventually will kill us. the crisis of humanity sucking massive amounts of hydrocarbons from the ground and burning it to feed their unceasing hunger for free energy, creating a dramatic shift in the climate of the planet, is a different problem.

we also are cutting down all the forests and destroying all the wetlands and overfishing everything and hunting things to extinction, which is another different thing again. saying that plastic bags are actually good because they don’t use much energy completely ignores the primary reason that they are bad.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

a thing that seems confusing for a lot of people is that there are multiple orthogonal ecological catastrophes caused by humans. plastic bags are bad because people absolutely cannot stop littering, plus our method of garbage disposal is “bury it in the ground or dump it in the ocean,” and so you get thin plastic fragments blowing around everywhere and it kills wildlife and eventually will kill us. the crisis of humanity sucking massive amounts of hydrocarbons from the ground and burning it to feed their unceasing hunger for free energy, creating a dramatic shift in the climate of the planet, is a different problem.

we also are cutting down all the forests and destroying all the wetlands and overfishing everything and hunting things to extinction, which is another different thing again. saying that plastic bags are actually good because they don’t use much energy completely ignores the primary reason that they are bad.

they're not orthogonal. all of this has the same primary reason: capitalism.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

shopping bags dont matter

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Stereotype posted:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've never seen an animal get caught and die in a cotton tote bag at the beach.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also I don't know about the quality of that Danish study referenced, as they've since instituted a tax on plastic bags and they're practically gone from supermarkets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Bakers Cousin posted:

the dog is saying "playtime is indeed over "

lol