Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched a couple episodes of sprung, it's real good so far. Dillahunt is like a more serious will forte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cojawfee posted:

I watched a couple episodes of sprung, it's real good so far. Dillahunt is like a more serious will forte.

I'm getting some Oliver Queen vibes, he's got the same look as Stephen Amell and sorta sounds like him, too. And then there's the vaguely similar premise where the foolish kid goes away from society for years and comes back having learned how to be a badass, it just keeps making me think "what if Earl Hickey was trained by Ra's Al Ghul?"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah first couple episodes of Sprung are good. Love both Dillahunt and Plimpton, both are really good at physical comedy.

It's definitely a Greg Garcia show in the best way with more graphic dialogue which is a good thing. Like his other stuff it can be weird and mean but always funny and really sweet when it needs to be.

I hope we see Garcia regulars like Crabman and Greg Brinkley. Too bad Cloris Leachman isn't with us anymore, she woulda been great in this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If I liked the first two episodes of Yellowjackets, should I finish it or is it a disappointment? I’m really confused about whether the one lady’s husband was de-aged for the 1996 scenes, up-aged for the 2018 scenes, or both.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

If I liked the first two episodes of Yellowjackets, should I finish it or is it a disappointment? I’m really confused about whether the one lady’s husband was de-aged for the 1996 scenes, up-aged for the 2018 scenes, or both.

It's a good show, I'd say, but depends on which aspects of it you liked.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
irl Lost watch parties are a golden highlight of my memories of media in general. Such a fun cultural phenomenon.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
anybody watch the 60 Days In gatbage? I am hooked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lost was such a challenge for me since I was terrible at coming back each week and season for a show but here was this cultural phenomenon and show I liked that demanded it. I think I lost my place like 3 times over the first couple of seasons and had to find a way to catch up.

Thank god for Hulu v1 and DVRs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rappaport posted:

It's a good show, I'd say, but depends on which aspects of it you liked.

I am least thrilled by the 1996 slice-of-life stuff, which seems to be done by the end of the pilot. I am most interested in the ritual murder elements. I am most intrigued by how often trigonometry comes up as something the main characters think is unimportant.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
My wife self-published a Lost colouring and puzzle book. Didn't like the finale though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Breaking Bad is better than I remember and gave it credit for but also it's such a bummer vibe, stuck on sad meth kid episode, needed a break.

External Organs posted:

irl Lost watch parties are a golden highlight of my memories of media in general. Such a fun cultural phenomenon.

haha this is part of why I probably won't ever watch it at this point. I had the chance to be in that moment but just didn't fit naturally in my life at that time, was in college for a lot of it I think with spotty access to actual TV/tvchannels. Even if it were the best show ever with no possible edits to improve, just kinda feels like trying to huff some secondhand smoke or go to a new woodstock.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

None of the above. I think it’s worth watching if you liked what you’ve seen so far, but don’t expect all or even most of your questions to be answered by the end of the season.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
After all this Sprung talk, I started watching the pilot. I love how they are tackling covid. Feels like forever since people have been standing outside clapping and banging pots.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Khanstant posted:

haha this is part of why I probably won't ever watch it at this point. I had the chance to be in that moment but just didn't fit naturally in my life at that time, was in college for a lot of it I think with spotty access to actual TV/tvchannels. Even if it were the best show ever with no possible edits to improve, just kinda feels like trying to huff some secondhand smoke or go to a new woodstock.

It's a common refrain watching literally all serialized drama made since Lost came out that "Lost really hosed people up.". Like shows aping what it did are probably their own genre at this point. So, so much media owes it's intent to what Lost was. It's worth a watch just to see how massively it shaped expectations of how to do a tv show. Not even "For awhile", it still has it's hooks in writers and producers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I've been really pleasantly surprised by Pantheon this weekend, which is an animated ghost in the machine* evil tech corp conspiracy/philosophical drama. It's very good.

Also it's based on something by Ken Liu, who is apparently well regarded.

* not shell. That show is great, but this isn't like it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

I've been really pleasantly surprised by Pantheon this weekend, which is an animated ghost in the machine* evil tech corp conspiracy/philosophical drama. It's very good.

Also it's based on something by Ken Liu, who is apparently well regarded.

* not shell. That show is great, but this isn't like it.

What the hell, the cast is absolutely stacked

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11680642/

I know it doesn't mean much these days since actors probably just record their lines at home now but still

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughmoris posted:

After all this Sprung talk, I started watching the pilot. I love how they are tackling covid. Feels like forever since people have been standing outside clapping and banging pots.

Dude I laughed so hard at that part, I had completely forgotten that was a thing. And the "Remember he used to be a pedophile? Now he's a hero because he delivers snacks"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I decided to keep watching Yellowjackets, and it’s amazing how unlikeable the adult characters are while still being really interesting and compelling. Juliet Lewis is the only ethical one so far, though surely this will change as more of the 96 story unfolds.

I like it. I can already extrapolate where the murder ritual poo poo comes from by watching the schizophrenic girl and the religious girl doing foile a deux. I’ll be disappointed if it’s just Lord of the Flies, but it’s very compelling and funny in a way that doesn’t undercut the drama. The relationship drama in 96 is dumb but I guess that’s the show they wanted to make.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's a good chance you'll wind up liking it, but there really isn't a way to say more without spoilers :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of Lost, look who's coming back to TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmPOJ2FiUmA

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean he makes some good faces...

(Has he really not been on TV since Lost?)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
yeah sure I'll give it a whirl

made me think of the underrated, fun, and canceled too soon Revolution

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mu Zeta posted:

Jack Shephard leading a team into the unknown? Yes, please.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

External Organs posted:

I mean he makes some good faces...

(Has he really not been on TV since Lost?)

He's been retired.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My cousin added me to his gf's Sky sub for some reason, bless...so I'm gonna use it to try The Wire again at long last. But holy gently caress, a streaming service with ad breaks, so many loving ad breaks? Netflix and shameless downloading (drat right I would download a car if I could) have spoiled me for so long, it's weird and annoying having to put up with this poo poo. Plus the PS app is trash, so slow to navigate, pah. But gift horses, etc etc.

Anyway, the first ep was a lot more compelling than I remember from the last time I tried. Lance Reddick! And holy poo poo, Michael B Jordan looks like he just walked on the set from school or something! I've been spoiled on a couple of things through cultural osmosis (Idris Elba snuffing it at some point, a lady baked out of her mind buying a nail gun at a hardware store, Aiden Gillen adding to his Bad Accent showreel) but otherwise no idea where it's all gonna end up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Wire with ad breaks is loving insane, I can't imagine having to watch it like that :psyduck:

Still, it's a brilliant show, if you have no other way to watch it, watch it however you can!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 5, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Sky’s streaming service different from NOW TV? That has weird annoying useless breaks where the ads would be but then doesn’t actually have any

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I had never seen Mad Men with ad breaks until I tried rewatching it on IMDBTv a couple years ago. I got through the pilot and couldn't continue. Bought all the seasons when they were like 5 bucks last year around Christmas time. Worth every penny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's pretty rough watching Sprung with the ads. Especially when it gives me ads in Spanish, so I can't follow along.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Didnt Mathew Fox "retire" because he abused women?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I just had a realization after seeing a D+ commercial: Discovery is now owner of all of Anthony Bourdain’s TV work. He left Travel after a while to move to CNN (and made much more interesting TV imo) but now they own everything.

I think he was not the biggest fan of them though so… I dunno how I feel about this

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didnt Mathew Fox "retire" because he abused women?

I've heard that sentiment before so I did a little googling. He had a run in with a female bus driver in 2011 who accused him of assault, which he denied. Charges were never filed and a civil suit dropped. His LOST co-star Dominic Monaghan accused him in a 2012 tweet of beating women. Dominic Monaghan also just came out and said he was heavy in substances during that time which is why (he claims) Evangeline Lilly cheated on him.

No other accusations or run-ins that I saw but I don't care enough to search past the first google result page.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My theory is he quit acting after World War Z. He originally had a major part in the movie but got cut out. Imagine working on something for like a year and getting like 15 seconds of screen time. At that point he has all the money anyone needs so gently caress it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good thing he didn't come back to star in BatGirl.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mu Zeta posted:

The video isn’t available here, what is the show called?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

The video isn’t available here, what is the show called?

Last Light, it's a new (five episode?) miniseries airing on Peacock.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob_afyQgEXQ

New Nicholas Winding-Refn show incoming:

Copenhagen Cowboy posted:

Copenhagen Cowboy is a thrill-inducing, neon-drenched noir series set across six episodes which follows enigmatic young heroine, Miu. After a lifetime of servitude and on the verge of a new beginning, she traverses the ominous landscape of Copenhagen’s criminal netherworld. Searching for justice and enacting vengeance, she encounters her nemesis, Rakel, as they embark on an odyssey through the natural and the supernatural. The past ultimately transforms and defines their future, as the two women discover they are not alone, they are many.

I liked parts of Too Old to Die Young, but didn't manage to actually finish it, so we will see if this does a better job. If nothing else, there should lots of beautiful neon.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In The Dark finally ended this week, and the finale was pretty out there, but I loving loved it. Just really leant into the show's dark comedy side, basically completely eschewing the show's ostensible narrative conflict to just follow three psychopaths as they staggered around a farm house making hilarious and bad choices. No moral.

RIP to the last good CW original.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nicco Annan, Shannon Thornton, J. Alphonse Nicholson, and Gail Bean (Uncle Clifford/Keyshawn/Lil Murda/Roulette) are all on The Tamron Hall Show today to talk about P-Valley and boy if this isn't them announcing and promoting a season 3, I'm gonna be so mad !!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

Nicco Annan, Shannon Thornton, J. Alphonse Nicholson, and Gail Bean (Uncle Clifford/Keyshawn/Lil Murda/Roulette) are all on The Tamron Hall Show today to talk about P-Valley and boy if this isn't them announcing and promoting a season 3, I'm gonna be so mad !!!

They better loving renew it, even if that very last cliffhanger kinda sucked.

Renew original shows! Death to IP.