Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Pirating stuff is really very lame. Maybe if you are a young kid with no money and too much free time but no serious adult gamer should be at it

Nah pirating stuff is awesome. Especially poo poo like textbooks that have wildly inflates prices because of forced monopolies l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
:wotwot: "why don't these peasants simply BUY more things? they are like children!" :wotwot:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

QuarkJets posted:

I say boycott Steam and Epic, use GOG Galaxy exclusively. You can connect it to your Steam and Epic libraries so you just have 1 launcher instead of 3+.
Wait. You can buy games on the Epic or Steam websites and then download and run them through the GOG app? Is that what you're saying?

I've never even looked at the GOG app because you can just download the installers from the website so I didn't see any reason to ever bother with it, but if it replaces multiple other lovely apps then I guess I've been missing out.

Fur20 posted:

The worst(?) part of Sleeping Dogs is when you're trying to go between missions and then the social gaming prompts pop up like "your friend car surfed in the wrong lane above 60kmph for FIVE MINUTES STRAIGHT this is how close you are to beating their record" and then you spend the next forty minutes barreling down the wrong lane at maximum speed, by which point you've lost the thread of the plot.
The worst part of Sleeping Dogs is I pressed the loving counter button and it didn't loving do anything. There is clearly some timing or something I'm not getting, but the game is doing absolutely nothing to teach me what I'm doing wrong, and this mission has no checkpoints so gently caress this poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Pirating stuff is really very lame. Maybe if you are a young kid with no money and too much free time but no serious adult gamer should be at it

I am a grownup and I buy games I play but if I'm not sure I will try before I buy np

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Steam has the biggest catalogue or hentai visual novels and match 3 games and an official deck to play them in public. Steam wins.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i don't pirate AAA games any more because they are a billion gigabytes and I'd rather use that space for 50,000 pirated role-playing books. also they're all rubbish

i pay for indy games because the money actually goes to a game making person and not a vampire ghoul capitalist

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What was the last game you pirated that you played for more than 15 minutes before just getting stoned and loading up rocket leauge

Cult of the lamb. I basically just play short indie games but aye mostly rocket league in between lol

Edit. Oh wait I actually bought cult of the lamb apparently. I can't keep track of my life. Looks like the last I pirated and completed was rdr2

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 6, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

i don't pirate AAA games any more because they are a billion gigabytes and I'd rather use that space for 50,000 pirated role-playing books. also they're all rubbish

i pay for indy games because the money actually goes to a game making person and not a vampire ghoul capitalist

I can't believe we agree on something

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AAA games cost so much in Brazil, like some of them cost half what lower class people make in a month, some cost 200 usd which is an ungodly amount of money here. If you're lower middle class you get to buy 4 of them before you run out of your monthly income.

The people I know who are into AAA only or console games are some of the poorest most broke motherfuckers I've ever seen.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Elentor posted:

AAA games cost so much in Brazil, like some of them cost half what lower class people make in a month, some cost 200 usd which is an ungodly amount of money here. If you're lower middle class you get to buy 4 of them before you run out of your monthly income.

The people I know who are into AAA only or console games are some of the poorest most broke motherfuckers I've ever seen.

Imagine going broke because you can't wait until The Last of Us: Part 1 has been discounted to what it's actually worth.

I liked it on PS3 but I couldn't be bothered to finish my PS4 playthrough. On the other hand, I'm on my 4th playthrough of The Evil Within, and just need to finish Akumu difficulty for the platinum. It's a much more janky game that TLOU but is jam-packed with great ideas for setpieces that are really challenging to get through.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i pay for indie games

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That loving Sned posted:

Imagine going broke because you can't wait until The Last of Us: Part 1 has been discounted to what it's actually worth.

I liked it on PS3 but I couldn't be bothered to finish my PS4 playthrough. On the other hand, I'm on my 4th playthrough of The Evil Within, and just need to finish Akumu difficulty for the platinum. It's a much more janky game that TLOU but is jam-packed with great ideas for setpieces that are really challenging to get through.

I'm not sure they get discounted to acceptable prices. We also do the lovely practice of doing this:

There isn't a practical black friday. The days before sales, product prices go up (sometimes drastically and always shamelessly) so that when the sales happen the products cost as much, or more, than before. We call it "black fraud".

We still sell the sega genesis for the same price as when it was released, but to make up for it everything else goes up so much that it's literally cheaper at times to travel to the US, buy a console, and travel back, and our ticket prices are ludicrous. The PS3 was released costing 3700 USD back when it was costing 600 USD in the US.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i just pirated ff7r and played through it last month because se really wants 70 bucks for that poo poo lol they can gently caress off

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
AAA gaming has become so stagnant that I am currently replaying a game from literally 10 years ago (Dragon’s Dogma) and you could believe it was made today. In fact I’d say AAA gaming has outright gone backwards, Dragon’s Dogma at least has fun fast paced gameplay and a near non existent excuse-story instead of being “hold forward until cutscene/quicktime event” .

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JollyBoyJohn posted:

sharing stuff for free is awesome
admittedly i don't pirate steam games but i love to illegally download ebooks and read them on my kindle
it's like a library but the size of the whole internet

emulation is neat too, play Symphony of the Night!

Tiggum posted:

Wait. You can buy games on the Epic or Steam websites and then download and run them through the GOG app? Is that what you're saying?

I've never even looked at the GOG app because you can just download the installers from the website so I didn't see any reason to ever bother with it, but if it replaces multiple other lovely apps then I guess I've been missing out.

The worst part of Sleeping Dogs is I pressed the loving counter button and it didn't loving do anything. There is clearly some timing or something I'm not getting, but the game is doing absolutely nothing to teach me what I'm doing wrong, and this mission has no checkpoints so gently caress this poo poo.

you have to have the steam and epic apps installed, gog galaxy (and playnite which does the same thing but better) just talks to the other apps locally to consolidate all that crap into one library screen that has all the different stores.
depending on how good the apis are some storefronts will let you install/uninstall stuff you own through a third party client but for others hitting the button will just pop open the window for the 'real' store app for you to do it there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you have to have the steam and epic apps installed, gog galaxy (and playnite which does the same thing but better) just talks to the other apps locally to consolidate all that crap into one library screen that has all the different stores.
depending on how good the apis are some storefronts will let you install/uninstall stuff you own through a third party client but for others hitting the button will just pop open the window for the 'real' store app for you to do it there.

So it's a complicated way to almost do something worthwhile?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah pirating stuff is awesome. Especially poo poo like textbooks that have wildly inflates prices because of forced monopolies l

I used to work for Follett, if you can pirate a textbook always do so

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Elentor posted:

I'm not sure they get discounted to acceptable prices. We also do the lovely practice of doing this:

There isn't a practical black friday. The days before sales, product prices go up (sometimes drastically and always shamelessly) so that when the sales happen the products cost as much, or more, than before. We call it "black fraud".

We still sell the sega genesis for the same price as when it was released, but to make up for it everything else goes up so much that it's literally cheaper at times to travel to the US, buy a console, and travel back, and our ticket prices are ludicrous. The PS3 was released costing 3700 USD back when it was costing 600 USD in the US.

That anecdote about the genesis is insane, but I don't doubt it. Lol at anyone who would actually travel to the US to buy a console though.

I also live in South America, though not Brazil. I've been out of the console game niche for some time but it's extremely common here to have your console modded to run pirate games (at least up until the PS2 era, though I'm sure at least the PS3 has received similar treatment) and then you can go buy pirated discs at a street market for local currency equivalent of 3 dollars and have a blast. Microsoft and Nintendo consoles were pretty unpopular here until the Switch, so not sure if the same thing happened as frequently for those.

As far as the discussion at hand, I feel like at some point I saw that a significant % of piracy is by individuals who would never buy the product anyway, mostly because they couldn't afford to. I feel no qualms about trying before I buy and attempting to mostly focus on my purchases on indy developers or, outside of games, otherwise low-scale producers. Libgen and sci-hub got me through university.

Also a hearty lol at the poster who said "piracy is very bad" and their complete lack of perspective about people who can't drop 100 bucks on Total War Warhammer 3 + DLC because that's money for two weeks of food. Those people clearly just shouldn't play games at all!!

Tosk fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 6, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's important that poorer people can play videogames so that they can admire all the cool skins the richer players bought.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've def bought some stupid cosmetic poo poo from a game simply because I thought the dev deserved an extra $4.99. I mean, only once....

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I bought the rocket league rocket pass once, and I play it so much I always get enough free credits for the next one. I honestly rarely use any of the cosmetics but it's all gonna be worth it after all 'cos tomorrow they're adding a '90s honda civic which is similar to one I used to have irl.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I buy cosmetics and prebuilt computers because money isn't real

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

can i have some of ur money then plz?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sometimes i pay for games just because im too lazy to pirate them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What was the last game you pirated that you played for more than 15 minutes before just getting stoned and loading up rocket leauge

cyberpunk, and humankind. both were interesting to play, but neither were actually worth spending any money on

precision posted:

i pay for indie games

this but also i pay for mid-size studio games too.

site posted:

i just pirated ff7r and played through it last month because se really wants 70 bucks for that poo poo lol they can gently caress off

Square Enix is a company I unapologetically pirate 100% of my consumed media from. gently caress them, gently caress their CEO, and gently caress their "we realize that some people play games to have fun, but we're more interested in a different market" bullshit. I declare g*mer jihad against them

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I pirate square games becuase i need those roms to make the randomizers work

Never play a squaresoft game larger than 5 megabytes

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

i paid full price day 1 and after about 8 hours just thought gently caress this, it's not what i want and i can't tell which of us got owned more

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I buy skins in games because they're pretty and I want my character to look pretty and/or ugly in specific ways.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

City of Heroes is the best game because it had a character creator worth a drat as opposed to one with 30 different sliders that barely do anything. BUT BUT BUT you'll ruin your immersion if your character has pink hair!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i paid full price day 1 and after about 8 hours just thought gently caress this, it's not what i want and i can't tell which of us got owned more

It was definitely you

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Elentor posted:

i worked for a toy company that got approached by a distributor about doing business in brazil and the import taxes made everything a resounding nope. i assume that's what happens?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Elentor posted:

I buy skins in games because they're pretty and I want my character to look pretty and/or ugly in specific ways.

ill never spend money on microtransactions in a $60 game, gently caress that poo poo
overwatch trying to get me to buy lootboxes :argh:

ill spend realmoney on a f2p game that i enjoy my time with though, like i bought some stuff in path of exile and warframe

Tiggum posted:

So it's a complicated way to almost do something worthwhile?

it works well for the thing you do 99% of the time which is looking through your library for a game to play and then playing it
it's also handy for stuff like "poo poo i think i got that game for free on some giveaway a few months ago, which of the 12 stores is it on" since it puts them all in once place, and still llists stuff that's in the libraries but not installed:

the last played / time played indicators aren't really accurate for games that aren't on steam tho

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 6, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kntfkr posted:

i worked for a toy company that got approached by a distributor about doing business in brazil and the import taxes made everything a resounding nope. i assume that's what happens?

The import taxes make everything cost a lot more. Our store taxes make everything cost a lot more. The stores wanting to have a 100% profit margin (literally) make them cost a lot more.

Consider the 3700 usd PS3. This is the average yearly income at different levels of wealth, converted to usd:

very poor: 2k usd
poor: 2.6k usd
vulnerable: 3.5k usd
lower middle class: 6.4k usd
middle middle class: 11k usd
upper middle class: 23k usd
lower upper class: 40k usd

Yearly. So a 3700 usd PS3 for us is not nearly the same as what it would be for an american, it is much, much worse. A GPU is an investment, quite often one that costs 2-3 months of income even if you're gunning for a low-end one.

Edit: Also just for reference, that lower upper class mark represents being close to the top 1%. From then on top 0.5% is 70k usd a year, top 0.3% is 100k usd a year, 0.1% is 200k usd a year. The vast majority of people make at most 10k usd a year.

Edit 2: Our import taxes are officially 60%, but in practice they're a lot more. They're taxed based on what the govt. thinks the product costs and they overshoot, also they tend to use our own prices which causes an inflation cycle. A friend of mine imported a smartwatch and it got 110% tax. That's right, he paid more than double the product's cost plus shipping. He paid more in taxes than in the actual watch.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 6, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
retailers expecting 100% is nuts

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

The import taxes make everything cost a lot more. Our store taxes make everything cost a lot more. The stores wanting to have a 100% profit margin (literally) make them cost a lot more.

Consider the 3700 usd PS3. This is the average yearly income at different levels of wealth, converted to usd:

Yearly. So a 3700 usd PS3 for us is not nearly the same as what it would be for an american, it is much, much worse. A GPU is an investment, quite often one that costs 2-3 months of income even if you're gunning for a low-end one.

no one actually has money it all goes to the landlords not ps3s

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elentor posted:

Yeah but think about how much people sold their used ps2 for when they upgraded to a ps3!

edit: Also that's insanely hosed. Who would buy a ps3 at that price instead of go on vacation somewhere and just buy it there?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 6, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

It was definitely you

another self own to add to the bank like that time i got peer pressured into buying dead or alive beach volleyball

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Your honor, I was pressured into buying the game known for scantily clad women with big ol bouncing boobies. I only boot it for the compelling gameplay

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Elentor posted:

Edit: Also just for reference, that lower upper class mark represents being close to the top 1%. From then on top 0.5% is 70k usd a year, top 0.3% is 100k usd a year, 0.1% is 200k usd a year. The vast majority of people make at most 10k usd a year.

Edit 2: Our import taxes are officially 60%, but in practice they're a lot more. They're taxed based on what the govt. thinks the product costs and they overshoot, also they tend to use our own prices which causes an inflation cycle. A friend of mine imported a smartwatch and it got 110% tax. That's right, he paid more than double the product's cost plus shipping. He paid more in taxes than in the actual watch.

I'm out of the loop. Brazil?

e: nvm it occured to me to click the question mark button.

My partner is Brazilian and holy poo poo as I read into this back then my sanity left me.

Vic fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Bascially a system of import taxes made to stimulate local production back in 80s (iirc) made sure regular people can't easily buy poo poo like usb-c cables 40 years later.

And now there's lobby to keep it this way.