Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My complaint about Trahearne is that the base campaign is called “Your Story” but then from about level 40 on is actually you playing second fiddle as a side character in Trahearne’s story. Everything after the base campaign is much better about centering you and feels a lot better narratively as a result.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Your character becomes the Pact commander while Trahearne becomes Pact marshal.

I never got whose rank was superior.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
It's got something to do with certain Sylvari - mostly first born - following their 'wyld hunt' (i.e. pretentious way to say 'destiny'). It's the sole purpose of their existence and seems to be assigney by avatar tree lady. After they have fulfilled their 'wyld hunt', Sylvari are basically ready for the compost pile. Which is interesting because that means according to the core story Sylvari player characters have been doing bonus laps ever since they defeated Zhaitan.

Yes, the ranks of pact commander and pact marshal are about as easy to tell apart as the 'wyld hunts' of the PC and Trehearne. The player characters was to kill an elder dragon, while tree boy's 'wyld hunt' only was to cleanse Orr of Zhaitan's influence. That's why he stepped back after that level 70 block of personal story missions. That still doesn't make the character any more interesting than watching paint dry though.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 5, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Luggage posted:

It's got something to do with certain Sylvari - mostly first born - following their 'wyld hunt' (i.e. pretentious way to say 'destiny'). It's the sole purpose of their existence and seems to be assigney by avatar tree lady. After they have fulfilled their 'wyld hunt', Sylvari are basically ready for the compost pile. Which is interesting because that means according to the core story Sylvari player characters have been doing bonus laps ever since they defeated Zhaitan.

Yes, the ranks of pact commander and pact marshal are about as easy to tell apart as the 'wyld hunts' of the PC and Trehearne. The player characters was to kill an elder dragon, while tree boy's 'wyld hunt' only was to cleanse Orr of Zhaitan's influence. That's why he stepped back after that level 70 block of personal story missions. That still doesn't make the character any more interesting than watching paint dry though.

Sylvari can have multiple Wyld Hunts. It's not something they must do but a calling they hear during their first Dreaming. They are not required to follow it, if they don't want.

Caithe has had two so far.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I don't know how they managed to make the plant elves so dang boring. Their whole single use life cycle "wyld hunt" that's assigned at creation is normally saved for robots gaining sentience. HoT even stayed on the standard robot themes with an override. Putting that onto the race that is usually the traditional druidic/nature caretakers is a fantastic twist on the trope, then they write the most dull characters in existence (outside of Canoch) to represent it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Mr. Neutron posted:

Your character becomes the Pact commander while Trahearne becomes Pact marshal.

I never got whose rank was superior.

Its "A" pact commander, not THE pact commander. You meet several other commanders during the story.

Pact Marshal is the highest rank

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Palawa Joko got done dirty by the GW2 writing team and you can't change my mind on that.

If anything he should get his own side story.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I thought he featured prominently in a side story.

A side DISH story that is!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was very surprised when he was just offed for real, I mean come on, undead king? that wasn't very undead (LS4 spoiler)

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Sylvari can have multiple Wyld Hunts. It's not something they must do but a calling they hear during their first Dreaming. They are not required to follow it, if they don't want.

Caithe has had two so far.

Well, there you go. I've only played core and HoT story so far and until now it always sounded like, "well, I can die now, my work is done". Caithe's whole motivation during HoT story was completely lost on me (I guess that's where LWS2 comes in) as was the whole shiny egg part. I must have missed how that had anything to do with Mordremoth. But I was wondering why the Wiki listed her as having had two wyld hunts.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

So I've been looking at gearing stuff uh do I need to take a weapon crafting profession to make the higher level weapons I like being a cook and tailer.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Short term: No, you can get by with drops, vendors, and the trading post

Long term: You’ll likely want one weapon craft to 500 because it’s needed for components for various collections

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mohawk Potato posted:

So I've been looking at gearing stuff uh do I need to take a weapon crafting profession to make the higher level weapons I like being a cook and tailer.

If you just want level 80 exotics then no. A lot of them can be bought on the trading post for not that much gold, and you can also get stat-selectable ones from Heart of Thorns vendors (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plated_weapons). Probably lots of other ways too, but TBH I usually just buy from the TP since I've got a lot of gold.

For ascended stuff some can come from drops (but it's fairly low chance I think), you can get a few through achievements, you can also buy some through vendors (but some of the vendors may require crafted components? not sure), or you can craft them. The wiki on ascended weapons should tell you all the ways to get them: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_weapon

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Also, if/when you do get around to wanting other crafting professions, don't forget you can and should use alts for them, it'll be a nice chunk of levels for the alt (although with the new adventure guide thing maybe that's not as big a deal?) and will make it a lot easier to just have everything you want.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Whoever in the last thread suggested the Sigil of Stamina for open world Vindicator, thank you. I’m working through the HoT zones and story and laugh every time a group of pocket raptors shows up since i get to pogo stick bounce on them with an ascended greatsword until they all die.

stalkTHEground
Sep 7, 2005

They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time it works every time.
Been on and off for a decade on this game, Mesmer main the whole time. Is the entire guild on Maguuma or are people spread? I'm trying to unlock my Warclaw mount but I'm on Blackgate. I just have the reward track to go.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

stalkTHEground posted:

Been on and off for a decade on this game, Mesmer main the whole time. Is the entire guild on Maguuma or are people spread? I'm trying to unlock my Warclaw mount but I'm on Blackgate. I just have the reward track to go.

For anything but WvW, server doesn't matter. You can join any guild and play with them regardless. For WvW, you need to be on the same server. ArenaNet has been teasing and testing a new system, that will do away with the server association for WvW, but no one knows when that's going to go live. Could be a few months, could be years.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 6, 2022

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

What are the best utility spends for gems? Is the steam welcome pack Ok?

I remember the copper salvager thing being a good idea but no idea what else.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Shared inventory slots according to most people, although I personally never found much use for them beyond the first (which has the aforementioned copper salvager bot sitting in it)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Having a special area pass is pretty helpful along with a shared inventory slot to put it in.

I can't remember which one is best these days, maybe the new EoD one?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I have the rewinder, runecrafter bot & portal scrolls in mine (usually swapping out whatever portals I'm using most). Sometimes dump in whatever stack of utility I get out of chests once I have enough for it to be useful (like those bank access or trader access whatsits). If I end up with another one I'll use it to dump those mordrem plant extractor things in it because i never ever remember to take the fkn things out the bank before i go do silverwastes.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
For the special area passes: Mistlock if you do fractals, Armistice if you're into WvW, Thousand Islands is nice for the portal to the various fishing zones, which is really free ports to a bunch of random maps.

Having shared slots for the Living World portal tomes and prototype position rewinder is nice.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 6, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Space camp is also really pretty and has great music, you can glide forever and everything's three steps from each other.

trunkh posted:

The Steam Welcome Pack is not a great deal I think. It includes 2 bag slots (those are a character specific unlock) and two 20-slot bags (the cheapest crafted/tradeable 20-slot bags can be had for about 10g buy orders), 5 experience boosters (nice to have but not essential, there are plenty of easy ways to earn XP) and some unidentified dyes (will mostly yield fine rarity dyes which are only worth a few copper on the trading post).

The Steam Elite Jump-Start Pack is a good deal but pricier. Besides the copper-fed salvager it contains a shared inventory slot to put it in (or to put the lounge pass in), another character slot, a set of unbreakable gathering tools (no glyphs though and they don't have any special animations) and the Divinity's Reach 1%-er pass. For 2400 gems which usually only get you the set of vanilla unbreakable gathering tools without all the other stuff. The Royal Terrace Pass means city loading times but it's a lounge pass at least, ie. short trips to all the relevant crafting stations, bank, TP, vendors, mystic forge and IIRC a teleport to capitals.

But in general, after the copper-fed salvager I'd consider 2-3 shared inventory slots (one for the salvager, 1-2 for whatever, if you do play the game long enough the list of "whatever" will fill the max. amount of shared slots). The world boss portal device is very convenient if you do those bosses regularly (for only occasional trains you can check /wiki et or follow a commander's chat link to the next waypoint, though) and the pact operations portal device if you're trying to farm Dry Top (LS2) or the HoT metas. A bank tab expansion or two are also pretty useful because a lot of stuff is account bound so you can store it there and use it on (future) alts or just stuff the bank full of weapon/armor containers forever until you decide which one you want to get out of a box.

Not available right now is the recharging teleport to friend. I don't like how it has an excessive cooldown (1h IIRC) that doesn't tick down while you're logged out and triggers even on failed teleports (eg. if you try while in combat or if your target appears/is offline), but if you don't have hundreds of the consumable version from birthday gifts and other sources it can be useful to go to the middle of a zone you never got nowhere near, or to the end of a JP or what have you.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Copper-fed salvage kit, unlimited crafting tools, some bag space. Special area pass, perhaps, I got Lily of Elon with PoF and it's been more than enough.

Personally I wouldn't put money into shared inventory slots especially if you are starting out and are focusing on one character. I have been fine without any, have the Copper-fed kit and the Lily of Elon pass in there and didn't have much to put on the 3rd so I put the Arborstone teleport there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I picked up the account booster with the two bank and bag slots plus a extra crafting slot and it’s been a big quality of game booster. Got one character stood next to a banker and a trader and with the 3 shared slots I have it’s been great at keeping bags under control as well.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The copper-fed is the only infinite salvage kit I have, so in my 2nd shared slot I usually keep a mystic salvage kit for rares/exotics and in the third a BL salvage kit for exotics with valuable runes/sigils (you probably won't have any/many of these if you're new but they build up over time). I have a mystic forge conduit so that lives in a slot (arguably one of the more valuable infinite-use utilities that you can get on the TP; everything else has many access points in many locations). If you have any of the other infinite-use utilities (bank/tp/etc.) those can live in a slot but those are also impossibly expensive; as an alternative if you don't have a 1%er pass you can put your stack of bank access and/or TP access items in there, same with TP to friend. I guess if you have more money than sense revive orbs? Then as mentioned the living world portal tomes are handy (more handy if you have alts and don't want to run each character through the story).

After all that it's mostly down to personal preference. I have unid blues/greens/yellows each taking up a slot, this isn't really useful if you play one character but it's really handy if you have alts parked at JPs and whatnot, or even if you just play more than 1 or 2 characters with any regularity.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

orcane posted:

I was very surprised when he was just offed for real, I mean come on, undead king? that wasn't very undead (LS4 spoiler)

They needed Aurene to get magical rejuvanation powers, which came in handy in the very next plot beat, and then again in EoD.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’m sad that we never got the final GW1 Beyond chapter for Nightfall where we’d see the rise of Joko

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

next expansion could pick up where the last gw1 xpac was set to go, with the chronomancers and stuff.

commander gets hurled back in time through the mists to the rise of Joko but instead of trying to save Elona, they realize Joko must succeed in order to preserve the future victory over the elder dragons and the commander becomes his most trusted champion and advisor, conquering the region as a member of the awakened court, all so one day 250 years from now Joko survives to get eaten by Aurene, ensuring her victory over Kralkatorrik

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Mover posted:

next expansion could pick up where the last gw1 xpac was set to go, with the chronomancers and stuff.

commander gets hurled back in time through the mists to the rise of Joko but instead of trying to save Elona, they realize Joko must succeed in order to preserve the future victory over the elder dragons and the commander becomes his most trusted champion and advisor, conquering the region as a member of the awakened court, all so one day 250 years from now Joko survives to get eaten by Aurene, ensuring her victory over Kralkatorrik

That's... actually a really cool idea. Dragon cultists/Elona nationalists travel back in time to kill Joko when he's still a budding necromancer, figuring they can erase his rule and ensure Aurene is killed by Kralk and the elder dragons aren't exterminated in one fell swoop. The commander has to go back in time and mentally come to grips with the paradox, wondering if Joko would have ever really amounted to anything without his intervention. You could really dig into this too, maybe with a few missions hinting that Joko would have been content practicing necromancy in some obscure corner of the desert without the commander poking and prodding him to larger ambitions. But you have to make sure he conquers Elona in order to preserve the future, at the expense of thousands/millions of people being subjugated and awakened for hundreds of years.

It's so good you made me write GW2 fanfic so thanks for that. I now have the sudden urge to create a deviant art account and play some Sonic games

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Whatver they do please don't let it be time travel.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Look I saw this happen in Warlords of Draenor where the plot bent over backwards to re-introduce a villain long after he'd been squandered. It's a terrible idea and I hope we get a non-time travel plot.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

With the way the Friends Detective Agency got teased at the end of EoD, I'm really hoping we have some kind of more grounded mystery story. It's hard to keep going bigger when you've already killed a god and all of the elder dragons

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
With the next LS1 release coming next week, does anyone have any tips for getting into a twisted marionette group? I’ve never seen a public squad get more than a few people and I’ve never done it.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 6, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Living story season 1-4 plot summary:

LEYLINES LEYLINES LEYLINES STOP THE DRAGON'S FROM EATING THE LEY ENERGY

Prediction for living story season 5 plot:

VOID VOID VOID STOP THE DRAGONVOID'S FROM EATING THE LEY ENERGY

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Mr. Neutron posted:

Whatver they do please don't let it be time travel.

I used to think like this before the 2009 Star Trek reboot. Good time travel plots are possible!

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Marionette is awkward, because anet killed the instance reappearing for a few months which killed public interest and momentum for awhile. If they put achivos for it in this lot, just try to remember to hop into a squad once or twice, and bring CC for the mobs that need it, and personal stunbreaks. If they don't readd it, it might honestly be best to see if you can round up 15 or so people then put into LFG, then run ads for it in hub spots like cities and lounges on a high traffic time (weekend/reset.)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The ruins of Raisu Palace look to be one of the next LS maps.

It would be cool to see more done with Luxons, Kurzick, or Tengu, but I’m not holding my breath

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I have to say, I like a lot of improvements I've seen in WvW since the last time I played. It is certainly a lot more rewarding with the gathering nodes around and the frequency of getting reward chests just for helping out. Having said that, seemingly everyone else having a warclaw totally blows. I'm working on the mastery track but oof, does not having that put you at an enormous disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

trunkh posted:

Copper salvage kit, at least 1 material storage expander, at least 1 bank tab expander, Mistlock Sanctuary pass. In about roughly that order.

Infinite gathering tools are also a solid pickup if you play exclusively 1 character but any amount of alting makes them a pita