Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I started a conversation about the possibility of extra reactions for the Monk PC in my game, and the player came up with a really intriguing idea: adopt the legendary action mechanic for PCs. At some level (L7? L8), PCs receive 1 legendary action per turn, and have maybe 1-2 options they can spend it on. Eventually they have 3 legendary actions per turn, with some options that cost 2 or 3 actions to take, and the action options are tailored to individual classes (or other elements like fighting styles or archetypes).

That'd be a very interesting way to empower non-casters, as you can exclude spellcasting from the list of legendary actions so casters are still only getting off one spell or a spell and a cantrip while the martials can cash in extra movement or attacks (even maybe attack ACTIONS). You could shift some other abilities into the legendaries. For example, make Steady Aim a legendary action a rogue can take: you gain advantage on the next attack roll you make before the end of your next turn. Reduce your speed to 0 until the end of your next turn.

Everything would need a rebalance, so it's a difficult suggestion to put into effect, but it would really change the dynamic of D&D combat. Players would have a lot more reason to pay attention to what's happening off their own turns, and it'd be a lot less likely for a combat to devolve into "My turn? I attack. I'm done," especially if the various legendary actions aren't that kind of basic action. Placing an action like a shove or grapple into the legendary list would increase the dynamism of combat and make initiative order even more critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I liked the Kingdom Hearts card action deck thing someone homebrewed up somewhere where you draw like 3 cards, pick one and discard the rest and reshuffle when you run out; and some cards would be like in Dominions(?) and give you something like +2 Actions or +3 Actions but -1 Action Next turn etc. Lots of additional bookkeeping but fit the theme.

e: to add, I think way too many things get bottlenecked by making it a reaction; to my mind a reaction should be something that takes an all or nothing effort in order to do out of turn order. This makes sense with Counterspell, Featherfall, and to a lesser extent Attacks of Oppurtunity because the idea is these are essentially Desperation Moves and to my mind a Monk deflecting an arrow out of the way should just be something they can just do. How many times during a campaign is it going to come up that an arrow is going to pass by or at a monk? Just let them do it. I have a homebrew magic item in the campaign I'm in and I've realized I can't use half of its features because it uses my reaction; when I almost always want to have it available for Shield.

If you must limit it; let a monk decide whether to use their Dexterity, Con, Strength or Wisdom modifier for how many arrows they can deflect; or just their proficiency bonus times per encounter; or at worst, per short rest.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 5, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm gonna be running Zeitgeist: Death of the Author in the system it's written for, Advanced 5E.

Trouble is, it's a four-person adventure and I have three players. What's the best way to modify a four-person adventure so that three characters have a good time in it?

I'd sooner not run a fourth player character myself, I've enough to do as it is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

I'm gonna be running Zeitgeist: Death of the Author in the system it's written for, Advanced 5E.

Trouble is, it's a four-person adventure and I have three players. What's the best way to modify a four-person adventure so that three characters have a good time in it?

I'd sooner not run a fourth player character myself, I've enough to do as it is.

Advanced D&D and no hireling or retainer rules? Gary is spinning on the astral plane.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
it has rules for those

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Gort posted:

Give them an extra feat or start them with some magic items.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hirelings should be controlled by the players like a pawn, they can work out who has direct control amung themselves. Except when it's time to pay, or if they order the hireling to do something dangerous, or when the hireling takes any kind of damage. In these cases you roll a Morale or Loyalty or whatever check to see if they remain loyal.

Roll in secret, the hireling won't attack immediately if they become disloyal from abuse. They will run away at an unfortunate moment, or they will steal treasure when the party is resting, or something else sneaky.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Speaking of monks, anyone else want to bet on an upcoming One D&D Playtest packet featuring Pugilists or something as a replacement?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hexmage-SA posted:

Speaking of monks, anyone else want to bet on an upcoming One D&D Playtest packet featuring Pugilists or something as a replacement?

Yes, they aren't going to do that, they're just going to modify Monks a bit. I'm like 99% certain we aren't going to get a new class (unless you count Artificer becoming core as a new class)

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 6, 2022

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Hexmage-SA posted:

Are they still going with "you punch super hard but you don't get to actually hit stuff" as a design philosophy for the monk?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rutibex posted:

Hirelings should be controlled by the players like a pawn, they can work out who has direct control amung themselves. Except when it's time to pay, or if they order the hireling to do something dangerous, or when the hireling takes any kind of damage. In these cases you roll a Morale or Loyalty or whatever check to see if they remain loyal.

Roll in secret, the hireling won't attack immediately if they become disloyal from abuse. They will run away at an unfortunate moment, or they will steal treasure when the party is resting, or something else sneaky.

If they're really frightened/or upset they might also just turn tail and flee then, if you're venturing into danger.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

for hirelings i like to use the tashas rules for sidekicks and throw on fun flavourful abilities as necessary. it creates a generally well made statblock which is easy enough to run, i can throw it at players and say "here is this random NPC, go wild in battle", etc. i dont do morale checks or anything because thats very extremely a basic dnd/1e thing that doesnt work well in modern play however.

just make sure to always put hirelings several levels behind the party - they dont necessarily all have to be level 1, but random hired guys should almost never be at party level because it runs the risk of this hired guy carrying the party, which can feel bad. but on the other hand giving low level party members a tashas sidekick 6 levels higher than them on a mission might create a cool effect -- just make sure the party controls the sidekick in battle every time or you run the risk of being a DMPC jackass

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In my groups and other groups I've seen online in podcasts I've seen players get annoyed if a sidekick /npc is dead weight so maybe not several levels behind in my opinion. Especially if they just end up costing healing resources.

If they do end up carrying I think that might not be bad depending on the group, as long as their abilities are well known and don't just rear end pull something to save the party. It tends to convey a sense of "oh my God the mad lad is doing it!!"

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gort posted:

Rather than hirelings or sidekicks, I think it'd be easier to just tone down the combat encounter some. Use Kobold Fight Club if you're not comfortable eyeballing it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

In my groups and other groups I've seen online in podcasts I've seen players get annoyed if a sidekick /npc is dead weight so maybe not several levels behind in my opinion. Especially if they just end up costing healing resources.

If they do end up carrying I think that might not be bad depending on the group, as long as their abilities are well known and don't just rear end pull something to save the party. It tends to convey a sense of "oh my God the mad lad is doing it!!"

2-3 levels behind is not as dead weight as you think it is. they are demonstrably worse, but never underestimate the power of bounded accuracy and the boost to action economy you get by simply having another guy there

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In 5e can't you "aid another" in melee trivially if you're not likely to accomplish much with an attack of your own and don't have much else to use for your action?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

In 5e can't you "aid another" in melee trivially if you're not likely to accomplish much with an attack of your own and don't have much else to use for your action?

yup, thats correct. you can also have the guest party members ferry healing potions, use consumables, shove people around, etc. i have only recently started deep diving into the sidekick rules and they actually are surprisingly well made and thought out and add a lot to the game for very little investment or work on anyones side. good job wizards

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes, this is mainly what my beast companion does while I plink away at enemies from a distance

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The Expert sidekick is a good way to make up for one less player since they basically do the Help action every turn and can bring an exotic language proficiency. My Stahd campaign has one in the party and it absorbs some of their risk. I've made it clear that I have no qualms killing their helper to make a plot point work.

Zurreco fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 6, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've always found the help action to be weird for out of combat RP. In combat you need to burn your action to help, but it seems like almost any skill check you make out of combat you just get advantage on.

Obviously there are exceptions like lockpicking, but even if you make the players justify how they're helping, or limit it to skills they're proficient in, it does kind of feel like once players find out that the help action exists, non-combat skill checks are just at advantage from that point on.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've always found the help action to be weird for out of combat RP. In combat you need to burn your action to help, but it seems like almost any skill check you make out of combat you just get advantage on.

Obviously there are exceptions like lockpicking, but even if you make the players justify how they're helping, or limit it to skills they're proficient in, it does kind of feel like once players find out that the help action exists, non-combat skill checks are just at advantage from that point on.

thats a feature, not a bug. certain actions are one person only, a few actions allow multiple people to work on one task - if an ability check requires multiple people to work, you can rule it as the other party aids the first party(advantage), you can make a group check, or you can make multiple separate checks. in persuasion the advantage to the main speaker makes way more sense, in stealth there is no main sneaker so group checks are the play, or if everyone is looking for a needle in a haystack there is no main seeker so everyone gets a roll

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Out of combat Help is only powerful in the way that Taking 20 auto-success is powerful. You can also limit it to be a flat bonus instead of advantage of they're relying on it too much.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
IIRC maybe it's a common house rule, but in the games I'm in you can only help if you have proficiency in the skill..
I've also seen in some podcasts where if it's a part of a 4e style "skill challenge" instead of advantage, if you beat a DC 10 help check, it modifies the DC by plus or minus 2 depending on success or failure.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I bought the everything bundle on DDB and it tripped my credit card fraud alert system.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Elendil004 posted:

I bought the everything bundle on DDB and it tripped my credit card fraud alert system.

Dungeons and Bank fraud alerts.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a separate Foundry VTT thread or is this as good a place as any?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I guess the everything bundle includes the "Spelljammer" content?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a separate Foundry VTT thread or is this as good a place as any?

Might as well, if it's related to 5e Foundry.

Looking for some advice myself, on running The Final Enemy, particularly the lower levels. Maybe spoiler, since some of my players may or may not read this thread.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Madmarker posted:

I guess the everything bundle includes the "Spelljammer" content?

Yeah I mainly got it because I'm running two Spelljammer games and wanted the ease of Foundry integration and stuff.

Speaking of. I'm starting a second Spelljammer game. Should I make a separate foundry "world" for it, and just re-do everything? Can I like, copy a world and just change out my players? Trying to minimize the duplication of effort. Should I just stick all the players in the same "world"?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

You can just copy the folder with the world in it, name it something different, and then change whatever. You might need to edit the name in a json file or something, but I don't remember that specifically.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah I mainly got it because I'm running two Spelljammer games and wanted the ease of Foundry integration and stuff.

Speaking of. I'm starting a second Spelljammer game. Should I make a separate foundry "world" for it, and just re-do everything? Can I like, copy a world and just change out my players? Trying to minimize the duplication of effort. Should I just stick all the players in the same "world"?

Would do two separate worlds for sure

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Might as well, if it's related to 5e Foundry.

Looking for some advice myself, on running The Final Enemy, particularly the lower levels. Maybe spoiler, since some of my players may or may not read this thread.

I use Foundry and my group just entered the first level this Sunday. I used the maps from Plutonium (5e Tools) and populated them with creature tokens, treasure chest token for rooms with loot, and some other icons to remind me as a DM.

What kind of advice are you looking for? How not to use "Spartan" 60 times to describe a room? :eng99:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Mostly how to manage the underwater portions. How far can they see in water without light? If they don't have a swim speed can the 'walk' on the floor with water breathing?

As far as maps go, I had made my own versions in DungeonDraft, but I found this Reddit post with someone that had made the maps and exported them to vtt format, so I imported them into foundry and they look much better than the ones I threw together.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GhostsofSaltmarsh/comments/lwwzdh/gos_maps_chapters_58_integrated_into_foundry_vtt/

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Mostly how to manage the underwater portions. How far can they see in water without light? If they don't have a swim speed can the 'walk' on the floor with water breathing?

As far as maps go, I had made my own versions in DungeonDraft, but I found this Reddit post with someone that had made the maps and exported them to vtt format, so I imported them into foundry and they look much better than the ones I threw together.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GhostsofSaltmarsh/comments/lwwzdh/gos_maps_chapters_58_integrated_into_foundry_vtt/

I went with everything mostly works the same underwater.
I've set the height of rooms all being 30ft with seaweed patches (heavily obscured) being 15ft tall. This saved me time worrying if room 145 was X height or was it room 160?!
Enemies or players can just choose to walk or swim.
One mechanic I did settle on was that if you aren't full HP then you are considered "bleeding" and it sets off Sahuagin special ability. As a DM I'm always nervous about drawing difficult lines like that in the sand, but blood swirling around in the water seemed like a cool thing to worry about.

In lieu of making things mechanically different, I opted for underwater mood set dressing: sharks swimming around, seaweed door curtains, schools of fish and other sea creatures passing by, muted sounds (that aren't heavy vibrations), blood clouding the water and stirring up the inhabitants, etc. Plus atmospheric underwater music.

For our campaign, Umberlee and her minions are the baddies, so there are some named folks in the other levels and an item Umberlee needs to be summoned onto the material plane.

I haven't really attempted to make lighting work in Foundry. I just said if you don't have darkvision (which about 5-6 do not) then you have disadvantage on attacks and perception checks. One of my players has a moon-touched weapon that he hides until combat where he can see with it to hit, so I thought that was a cool compromise.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Underwater sight is up to you. When we ran that dungeon, we had a murky water condition depending on the floor. Normal vision was 10 ft dim, dark was 10 bright 10 dim. Otherwise normal rules applied for simplicity.

It's easier to just say that everyone is swimming regardless of their speed. If someone wants to try walking, require them to have med or heavy armor on to ensure they have enough traction.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hexmage-SA posted:

IMO they should make these guys a monk subclass.

Starts with tool proficiency: brewing supplies.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pillars of the Earth campaign book when??

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to be playing in an Eberron game. I'm thinking a strength based Warforged Ranger. Any thoughts on a build?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm going to be playing in an Eberron game. I'm thinking a strength based Warforged Ranger. Any thoughts on a build?

Just remember that going strength precludes you from using guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

Just remember that going strength precludes you from using guns

If you have 18 strength you are allowed to call your arms "guns"