Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

Steady...

Steady....

CARBY TO THE FACE!

AAA GETITOFF GETITOFF GETITOFF! Oh God I hope it had its shots...

Alternate caption: "I never thought carbuncles would eat MY face" says memer of the Carbuncle Eating Faces Party.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Happy page number 666, everyone!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Finally getting around to doing the new set of Tataru quests, because I needed to do the Void Ark series and have been too lazy to do them for years.

This game REALLY wants to shove this elf character down my throat. Emellelioan or whatever his name is. I have felt this way every time him and Sicard have been brought up in Endwalker. The devs seem to think I care way more about this character way more than I ever have. I don't even want to say I hate him because that implies some level of passion, I feel nothing for this character. Why do the devs insist on having him show up.

He's more or less the only character where I'm just like "I don't get it".

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

he's there to dunk on and you should dunk on him whenever possible imo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Probably because Count Edmont's VA died but they still want House Fortemps character in the game so you get this guy being a heel in every scene. I'm not too keen on him either but he's bearable

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

he's there to dunk on and you should dunk on him whenever possible imo

But he's not even fun to dunk on. I don't care enough about him to get enjoyment. He might as well be an untextured model t-posing next to me

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I enjoy him being there as the obvious failson who was put in a position that sounds important on paper but practically speaking minimizes the damage he can do while "saving face" for the family.

His actually competent brother (Honoroit?) is the forgettable one. "Does his job" just isn't a memorable trait.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Macaluso posted:

But he's not even fun to dunk on. I don't care enough about him to get enjoyment. He might as well be an untextured model t-posing next to me

eh I think he's a funny character but I think also you're assuming the devs consider him more important than they actually do

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I enjoy him being there as the obvious failson who was put in a position that sounds important on paper but practically speaking minimizes the damage he can do while "saving face" for the family.

His actually competent brother (Honoroit?) is the forgettable one. "Does his job" just isn't a memorable trait.

Honoroit is his page not his brother. His older brother is Artoriel.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Artoirel's his brother, Honoroit is his former...page? Footman? Who quit sometime after Heavensward and is now a successful author

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Honoroit is Emmanelain's page and it's a shame he isn't in this quest as the straight man to be honest.

Emmanelain is basically a stock jackass character that everybody recognizes as a jackass and treats accordingly. He at least has made a token effort to become better since he got deservedly knocked on his rear end by Thancred, so he's kind of got a lesser Alphinaud arc going on where he's still a jackass, but one people roll their eyes at rather than getting truly angry at him.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
He's funny.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Honoroit is Emmanelain's page and it's a shame he isn't in this quest as the straight man to be honest.

Emmanelain is basically a stock jackass character that everybody recognizes as a jackass and treats accordingly. He at least has made a token effort to become better since he got deservedly knocked on his rear end by Thancred, so he's kind of got a lesser Alphinaud arc going on where he's still a jackass, but one people roll their eyes at rather than getting truly angry at him.

"He's earnestly trying, but he's just bad at it," is definitely in line with how my WoL would evaluate him, yeah.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Emmanelain got a woman killed

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

she got better

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Vitamean posted:

she got better

She even shows up during the Stormblood Dark Knight quests

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Draxion posted:

Artoirel's his brother, Honoroit is his former...page? Footman? Who quit sometime after Heavensward and is now a successful author
Please don't confuse Honoroit with my friend Hot Dog Hautdilong

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vitamean posted:

she got better

Regalingualius posted:

She even shows up during the Stormblood Dark Knight quests

How could I forget that, poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Updated my FC room a bit to accommodate the new portraits

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Warmachine posted:

Emmanellain isn’t necessarily a failson, he is just bad at the family business (combat), the Ishgard restoration quests show that he is actually quite competent at foreign business relations, something that until quite recently Ishgard had no need for but now does. Given that the quest deals with business and Heavensward he was bound to show up sooner or later. Spoiler Alert I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Soroban and Hancock in a future quest, so if you haven’t done the four lords trials you may want to get on that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also so you can listen to Yoship sing Amatsu Kaze without spoilers

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Emmanellain is my friend and should be in more things.

He should be written as more than just a joke, though, which is all he seems to be in Endwalker. Shame.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Emmanellain is my friend and should be in more things.

He should be written as more than just a joke, though, which is all he seems to be in Endwalker. Shame.

He's definitely the story punching bag, but he's also Tataru's go-between with the sky pirates and Ishgard's military, which honestly if Tataru trusts him to do the job we probably should too. Me calling him a "failson" was a bit too harsh. Just let him, Sicard, Soroban, and Hancock go have B-team money making adventures. I'd read it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

iPodschun posted:

Please don't confuse Honoroit with my friend Hot Dog Hautdilong

Honoroit also wrote a book of his experiences in the Sea of Clouds and beyond,”The White Yonder” and apparently it’s much more candid nature compared to Edmont’s memoirs make many consider it a great companion to them. It’s apparently almost as much a best seller as Edmont’s book.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honoroit also wrote a book of his experiences in the Sea of Clouds and beyond,”The White Yonder” and apparently it’s much more candid nature compared to Edmont’s memoirs make many consider it a great companion to them. It’s apparently almost as much a best seller as Edmont’s book.
This is what I get for not doing Endwalker sidequests

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So how sweaty are Extremes (And the Unreals, while I am at it)? I haven't really done them since Heavensward. I know Savages are right out.

Also Hail Satan.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
depends on if you still have the air conditioning on or not I guess

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Depends on the Extreme. I'd say not too bad but some of them are a bit obtuse and I'd suggest reading up on any of them because they have more "you can screw everyone else over" than normals do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have a lot of sympathy for Emmanellain as somebody who keeps being set up to fail. I had a fairly similar experience working in a large family business, where I was too important to be fired or meaningfully supervised, but not important enough to be trained for an important job, so I spent a lot of time just twisting in the wind.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

So how sweaty are Extremes (And the Unreals, while I am at it)? I haven't really done them since Heavensward. I know Savages are right out.

Also Hail Satan.

Some ex fights are not bad at all, or require only a little bit of dance learning that you can just follow somebody else around and survive it. Others, like the current ex, can get very sweaty with plenty of opportunities to blow other people up if you're out of place for a moment.

It's worth noting that basically every ex is a very formulaic fight that you can basically run on autopilot with an occasional binary choice to be made one you learn the whole fight. Savages are similar, just with more complex mechanics to figure out and more likely to give you decision making more involved than go to A / go to B.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Thundarr posted:

It's worth noting that basically every ex is a very formulaic fight that you can basically run on autopilot with an occasional binary choice to be made one you learn the whole fight.

Scott Pilgrim MMO when?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the first savage floor is either a small step up or down from its associated extreme, dependent on patch. the second is often about the same, if the first was harder

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
this tier I think P5S is a lot harder than the trial. P6S is a bit easier than P5S mechanically, but has a tighter enrage so there's less room for error. Once everybody is rocking i620 it'll be the easiest fight of the tier imo.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Also Hail Satan.

There’s some variance in how exactly hard each one is but theyre all meant to be introductory to high end content. So it’s always designed to be cleared by a real wide variety of skill levels, but will still take some dedicated amount of time/effort to do so.

Mechanics will be punishing but not ruinous and you can often res wide swathes of the party, the dps check exists but is extremely lenient and is more for pruning fights that have zombied into the end as a cutoff point rather than looping ad infinitum. Certain parts will feel faster and be more complex, along with having less outright guidance and sometimes requiring you to read a cast bar or a boss pose to determine safe zones. On the flip side there will always be a deterministic way to sort out positions and the level of randomness is usually pretty restrained and often role based so you’ll get used to rules/patterns just from exposure

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Emmanellain mostly just makes me think of other higher nobles we've met who don't give a gently caress about their Great Houses: Caravallain, Jandelaine, and maybe Jannequinard and Stephanivien. The main difference being that they all found reasons to walk away, life goals to pursue outside of the nobility, and Emman hasn't, but he's also younger than they are. He's also still trapped by not wanting to disappoint his father. If he finds something he's actually good at and wants to do with his life, he might take off after it, and will probably be better for it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’ll be honest while I agree the gap between EX and the first floor of a tier is usually pretty small the only time I would say the first floor was easier than EX Fights outright was o1s, which was a notoriously easy fight for a savage. Then again lakshimi was a super easy EX so it was really just competing against susano (love Susan’s ex btw). This is discounting weird situations that arise when both get outgeared cause it has a smushing effect when that happens; it’s not really an honest comparison at that point

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

edit: too aggro nm

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 6, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I try not to RP-shame aside from throwing meteors at people standing way too close to each other and staring into each others' eyes, but I can't help but roll my eyes a little at player catboys with Nunh surnames. Like, really? You're claiming to get all the sex. With that glam.

Fake e: 26 Catboys Get All The Sex sounds like the title to a Fall Out Boy song.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm a big fan of the S'omething Nunhs who are now Viera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Dareon posted:

I try not to RP-shame aside from throwing meteors at people standing way too close to each other and staring into each others' eyes, but I can't help but roll my eyes a little at player catboys with Nunh surnames. Like, really? You're claiming to get all the sex. With that glam.

Fake e: 26 Catboys Get All The Sex sounds like the title to a Fall Out Boy song.

I'ncel Tia would hit a little too close to home, let them dream.