Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Oh, right, just checked the map, it's usually a speck of dirt that gets steamrolled real fast. The Druchi being Canadians is what misled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

The High Elves themselves as an outmoded prim and proper maritime empire in decline though are absolutely English.

That's a good point, I was thinking geographically, not culturally.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tagaziel posted:

Oh, right, just checked the map, it's usually a speck of dirt that gets steamrolled real fast. The Druchi being Canadians is what misled me.

Canadians and Americans. Black Arks are aircraft carriers, for example.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

ghorst is going to get fixed next patch i guess? gives me more time to abuse the op bastard

I doubt any healing cap change would even matter, 600% increased healing cap for zombies (instead of 600% more for poe fans) would practically not matter because they would still have to bump and grind for half a hour to reach that lower healing cap.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Skaven have catapults, rail guns, sniper rifles, gatling guns, flamethrowers and grenades.

VCoast have pistols, rifles, blunderbusses, gatling guns, flying pistoleers carried by giant bats, grenades, riflers riding giant undead hermit crabs, mortars, cannons and the single biggest mortar in the game, Queen Bess.

Cathay have shotguns, sniper rifles, normal boring arrows and bolts, sweet artillery and flying balloon snipers and artillery.

Dwarves have bolters that are absurdly efficient and good but who cares, really good rifles, flamethrowers, close range torpedos for mulching large, cannons and ballistae and organ guns and giant flamethrower cannons and finally flying steam and fire shooting gyrocopters. Also mod the thunderbarge in.

Please gunline responsibly in that you should always be gunlining when the mood strikes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Tagaziel posted:

Wait, the donut is ENGLAND?

Albion is england

The donut is what the english wish it was instead
And the dark elves are how the rest of the world see the british.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Tagaziel posted:

The Donut is England as the British Empire sees it, the Dark Elves are England as the rest of the world saw the British Empire, Albion is the geographical reality of England.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
High elves, a trade empire that uses slaves but everyone 'likes'
Dark elves, same race, same people, but their navy is used to help propagate their brutal empire based around slaves

Need to put Malus back near not-india

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any tips for Bretonnia, playing as Louen. Are you suppose to take Marienburg first or go south? Also how to play with cav army into sieges? I know you flying units are decent in sieges but that seems like a late game army.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I used to be able to draw most of the enemies to one side, then run cav to an unattended gate and break in before the enemy could reposition, but I'm not sure if that still works in TW3.

Edit: yeah, as below. You can reposition much faster than archers on the parapet.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 6, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ulio posted:

Any tips for Bretonnia, playing as Louen. Are you suppose to take Marienburg first or go south? Also how to play with cav army into sieges? I know you flying units are decent in sieges but that seems like a late game army.

When I've used cav in sieges, I split my forces up amongst multiple gates so then the enemy is forced to split up somewhat as well, then once the battle starts properly I send my cav around to wherever they have the least dudes, have them smash down the doors and then rampage in through the streets/corridors hitting enemies in the back while they're engaging my foot troops, loving up ranged troops/artillery or back capping victory points to get rid of towers or debuff enemies.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
You know, I never really appreciated Warhammer Fantasy's satirical edge until the last few posts.

On an unrelated note, can someone who understands the game's inner workings help figure out if this article is accurate? I remember basing it on a Reddit breakdown, and someone eventually told me it's dead wrong in the wiki Discord, another player said it's accurate, and I'm a very confused cat, because I'd like to make sense of all of these weird numbers.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tagaziel posted:

And the Dark Elves are based on the U.S. (minus Florida).

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Archaeology Hat posted:

a mostly irrelevant rainly island populated by druids and swamp creatures.

So Ireland then?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tretch is florida man: explains a lot, provokes no questions

khatep is a surfer dude: explains nothing, provokes many questions

direfin is a newyorker: explains a lot, provokes many questions

grombrindal is a vancouverite: explains nothing, provokes no questions

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 6, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, I wanted to ask; are Dwarves, Empire, Cathay, and Kislev my options for that play style, and more or less in that order of prominence? Is there a "bad guy" gunline faction? Vampire Coast?

Edit: Oh i guess the answer is skaven Right? I don't think their guns really do it for me because they're gouts of green flame and I really need the pseudo historical musketry thing, sorry.

Skaven do have semi-historical jezzails but that's in the same DLC as ratling guns so it may not be your thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Awesome, thanks for the advice all; a follow-up gunline question:

Can I target with gunfire large creatures (eg: cavalry) that are engaged in melee with a small unit (eg: spear men) by shooting "over" the spear men? Or will I have to run around to the flank?

What if it was trolls, mammoths, or something else truly gargantuan?

My memory from previous games is "yes to both" but I'd like to be sure before finding out different in a olay through.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

tretch is florida man: explains a lot, provokes no questions

khatep is a surfer dude: explains nothing, provokes many questions

direfin is a newyorker: explains a lot, provokes many questions

grombrindal is a vancouverite: explains nothing, provokes no questions

morathi is... texan?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Whorelord posted:

morathi is... texan?

Yeah because everything is bigger in Texas (goddamn look at her hair, she has to spend at least half a day getting it ready).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

When I've used cav in sieges, I split my forces up amongst multiple gates so then the enemy is forced to split up somewhat as well, then once the battle starts properly I send my cav around to wherever they have the least dudes, have them smash down the doors and then rampage in through the streets/corridors hitting enemies in the back while they're engaging my foot troops, loving up ranged troops/artillery or back capping victory points to get rid of towers or debuff enemies.

I'll try that out, I haven't really thought of using cav to break gates. It's just annoying that the AI is always scared and won't take open field battles as much.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
lmao did they actually fix anything or just nerf fun stuff

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Francis posted:

lmao did they actually fix anything or just nerf fun stuff

Maybe just read the patch notes? There were few straight nerfs apart from Festus's insane mortis engine getting a tunedown and stationary vortexes getting increased casting time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice all; a follow-up gunline question:

Can I target with gunfire large creatures (eg: cavalry) that are engaged in melee with a small unit (eg: spear men) by shooting "over" the spear men? Or will I have to run around to the flank?

What if it was trolls, mammoths, or something else truly gargantuan?

My memory from previous games is "yes to both" but I'd like to be sure before finding out different in a olay through.

You can shoot cavalry and ogre-sized enemies sometimes, it's a bit unreliable. Likewise for arcing bowshots (but not gunshots ofc) over your units to hit their back ranks.

Giant monsters are almost always shootable even when swarmed, however.

Randarkman posted:

Maybe just read the patch notes? There were few straight nerfs apart from Festus's insane mortis engine getting a tunedown and stationary vortexes getting increased casting time.

The stationary vortices also ate a 20% damage nerf.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yeah because everything is bigger in Texas (goddamn look at her hair, she has to spend at least half a day getting it ready).

She goes through a dozen slaves a day maintaining that ‘do. It’s very grimdark.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no nerfstick for malus

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ulio posted:

Are you able to afford much cav? When I played Bertonnia I was a bit disappointed that the "Greatly Reduced Upkeep for xxxx Knights" still left them with 'normal' cav upkeeps of like 175+. Its just so tempting to have a infantry based force due to VALUE, but I want to French correctly with lots of cav.

Ulio posted:

I'll try that out, I haven't really thought of using cav to break gates. It's just annoying that the AI is always scared and won't take open field battles as much.

This is a very reasonable mod to help get more field battles. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2854337915

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 6, 2022

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
They nerfed the(Admittedly bonkers) Norsca economy, kinda glad my first campaign was with Wulfric so I could experience it lol. Just an insane amount of money. I don't agree with the removal of research speed from the growth building though, Norsca have a huge number och techs that are very specific in use and can easily take 11-15 turns to research each.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

oh nice a new patch

time to reinstall the whole game because its faster than applying the patch

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

The stationary vortices also ate a 20% damage nerf.

lmao horrible. this is what multiplayer balance tyranny gets us. literally unplayable

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Serephina posted:

I don't even own the third game yet and basically know nothing about what's in it, but:

Got a good chuckle, what a great turn of phrase! I take it Siege combat got worse somehow?

They never get around the fundamental problem that they have a game that is built around having cool open air battles where you mash your units together, and suddenly you are using the exact same game engine to fight a siege, which is a fundamentally different thing. Like having an olympic wrestler suddenly compete in synchronised swimming. Sadly the fans are idiots and keep shouting they want to have cool siege battles, completely disregarding the fact that not a single entry in the 20 years history of total war games has had good siege battles (I hear they are alrightish in thrones of britannia).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Randarkman posted:

lmao horrible. this is what multiplayer balance tyranny gets us. literally unplayable

i mean it helps like 80% of the other spells be useful

of course they could have gone to route where they just increase buff spells by like 2x duration for the same effect but hey wahtever

kanonvandekempen posted:

They never get around the fundamental problem that they have a game that is built around having cool open air battles where you mash your units together, and suddenly you are using the exact same game engine to fight a siege, which is a fundamentally different thing. Like having an olympic wrestler suddenly compete in synchronised swimming. Sadly the fans are idiots and keep shouting they want to have cool siege battles, completely disregarding the fact that not a single entry in the 20 years history of total war games has had good siege battles (I hear they are alrightish in thrones of britannia).

did you play 3k? siege battles were pretty good in that I feel. Plus they hit the pinnacle of balance between AI armies seeking field battles vs sieges. I think it helped that the cities were more spread out in 3k too. In IE I think they simply ran out of room and had to squeeze in too much poo poo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like the moment when the gatehouse bursts open and your elite infantry meets theirs in the breach. What I don't like is the huge mess around it.

Wut if a "siege assault" was a much smaller map that went. In a series: gatehouse, streets, square, and each time you could only bring, say, three units per side, and the battles were in confined areas and wrapped up quickly.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

A good settlement battle is the best battle in TWW3 imo. It’s just harder than I’d like to get one - usually either you’re attacking/defending a settlement with a small garrison or the enemy sieges your settlement with an army present but refuses to attack it, instead trying to attrition you out, so you have to sally out and make it a land battle. The first problem I’ve found can be fixed a bit by mods for bigger garrisons, and the second I just hope CA addresses eventually.

Walled sieges are generally meh I agree. The wall part just isn’t fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Beans posted:

of course they could have gone to route where they just increase buff spells by like 2x duration for the same effect but hey wahtever

Even if they doubled the duration of buff spells and also doubled the effect, in campaign you would still never spend the winds of magic on them when you have the option to spend those winds on a spell that deletes a quarter of the enemy army instantly.

As someone who has been playing a lot of Be'lakor and Vilitch and abusing the gently caress out of Pit and Gateway, they were pretty loving stupidly broken. A 20% nerf isn't even going to ruin these spells, it just means that units that get hit dead on by them will be horribly mangled and almost dead instead of completely evaporated. It's like how everyone pissed themselves over Wind of Death getting nerfed but you can still bowl winds of death down the line and kill 600 dudes with one cast.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Serephina posted:

I don't even own the third game yet and basically know nothing about what's in it, but:

Got a good chuckle, what a great turn of phrase! I take it Siege combat got worse somehow?

i think the minor settlements are a really bad idea for the reaons already stated (WHY would you make maps that rely on pathfinding when its been a consistent weakness of the seires for 20 years now? CA still doesn't understand their own game)

but for me personally, i do try to play them out but you run into these situations where you have an interesting fight going on in the streets but what you need to do instead of sending units into that fight is send units the across the city to go stand motionless for 60 seconds in an empty square that happens to have an objective marker
that just immediately takes me out of the battle and i go back to modding them out

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ulio posted:

Marienburg makes an excellent eastern border. Unique settlement, big money settlement, the Empire doesn't respect them if you do it before they get treaties in. The kind of province you can take and then set Karl up as your pal.

You don't necessarily need to push south. There are lots of bad guys to slap like Red Duke, Grom and Kemmler but Bretonian has techs to force confeds and they get positive bonuses when they confed. You can clear out the disorder factions and time out getting Bret subfaction land by default. Check your victory cons, if they're as freeform as they were in WH2 then the real question is who and where do you feel like fighting?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I love buff spells in campaign :(

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kanos posted:

Even if they doubled the duration of buff spells and also doubled the effect, in campaign you would still never spend the winds of magic on them when you have the option to spend those winds on a spell that deletes a quarter of the enemy army instantly.

well you could if they nerfed those damage spells so they were not as effective, but then they feel lame and unfun.

but yea the whole magic system is tough to balance at this point. They should just have a cap on # of uses per some spells, that way they can be super powerful (and therefore fun) but not the only spell you can ever use for min max

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

did you play 3k? siege battles were pretty good in that I feel. Plus they hit the pinnacle of balance between AI armies seeking field battles vs sieges. I think it helped that the cities were more spread out in 3k too. In IE I think they simply ran out of room and had to squeeze in too much poo poo

You could make every other spell cost free and they would still be 100% worse than pre-2.1 Pit of Shades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I use buff and debuff spells constantly. Cycling single target DoTs and debuff is one of the safest way to focus down one man disasters/super elites. They also tip the balance in squad vs squad in a very satisfying manner.

Caps per spell would be really smart actually but I understand CA would make a lot of players mad because they want to watch Winds of Death go brrrrrr.

Sounds like a job for a mod.