Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Relevantly, I remember two things about my first runs of FFVII-IX:
1. FFIX was my absolute favorite of all of them from my first time beating it onward
2. It was the least fun to actually play.

I used to be very confused by this fact but looking back it is pretty obvious. I did not have the patience to deal with IX's slow-rear end battles, even though VIII's battles are also painfully slow. Of course I also used cheat codes for everything back then. Nowadays I love IX's combat because even if it is slow, I like what it's doing more than what VII or VIII do. And yet, I have come to prefer VII because I think its story and characters are better. A total reverse of opinions over these past 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I really like 8 generally but learning that i was playing on fuckin hard mode by not just stacking shitloads of spells and never ever using them has sort of wiped out any enjoyment i got from the gameplay lmao
Oh well, guess the story is still wonderful nonsense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Maybe it's because my first playthrough attempt was right after the Remaster on Steam came out and I was in my early 40s.

Don't worry, I hated ff8 when I was 12 too.

Edit: I have, I suppose, forgiven it over time, but it's still not one of my favorites.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I will never forgive FF8

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I didnt play any of the ps1 ffs until i was an adult and honestly of the 3 i think 7 is my fav

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I will never forgive FF8

i forgive you

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I have a very high opinion of FF8s narrative and setting, but it's one of the rare RPGs that's legitimately brought down by it's plot.

Yeah this. Also, for it’s time the junction / card - based system was an innovative way to get the very d&d ‘strength attack, magic attack, recovery’ combat paradigm shoehorned into a futuristic setting. I guess it was kind of demented just like the story though. Couldn’t rectify its contradictions.

Cool ideas, though. It needs a remake more than VII, even if it makes more sense to remake VII because that’s the one that everyone wants.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elephant Ambush posted:

The biggest offender is when you take Rinoa back to Balamb Garden and you're forced to give her a tour of the place before you can advance the plot. Literally reusing assets to walk her all over the place and pad play time.

I 100% get not vibing with FF8's story or its presentation but this is about the gooniest way you could have phrased this.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I think the squall rinoa discussions are the absolute best part tbh, it's just an extended stick from arse removal and I love it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I 100% get not vibing with FF8's story or its presentation but this is about the gooniest way you could have phrased this.

Yeah that assertion kind of baffles me. It's a character- and relationship-building sequence. In a series of games that people often play in large part for their stories and characters, it seems odd to accuse a character-building sequence of just being there to "pad play time." It's one thing to not like it, that's fine, it's just weird to assume it was put there for Bad Reasons or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in my early 40s, cannot understand the concept of having the characters hang out and assuming it must be lazy asset reuse, because squeenix needed this game to be 80 hours and not 79 hours 50 minutes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair that is Xenoblade 1s side quest design philosophy

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I want to see a Final Fantasy game that builds on the Magicite and especially GF systems more and turns it into a sort of job system except instead of Knight/Thief/Black Mage/White Mage/etc your jobs are Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh/Unicorn/etc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xenoblade 1's side quest design philosophy is that the devs played way too much ff11 after xenosaga got canned

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this cat is trying to rack up one ridiculously unobservant take for each FF game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I wish ffix had done more with characters combining their abilities ala Steiner and Vivi doing sword magic

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Chrono Trigger also has a Biggs and Wedge, which as far as I know is the best reason to consider it an honorary FF game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just started disc 2 of IX and Steiner continues to be the best character. Freya is up there too; much higher than my initial read of the game as a kid.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Minor detail in Stranger of Paradise: great spinning in-place.

So guess what FFVIIR fucks up big time.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cloud spins in place like there's a loving high-five opportunity in the center.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Freya's design and characterization when you meet her are strong enough that you kind of forget that her arc is kind of wrapped up really early and she doesn't do much after that.

Which is a shame because I absolutely love her character design, and especially her costuming.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

nrook posted:

Chrono Trigger also has a Biggs and Wedge, which as far as I know is the best reason to consider it an honorary FF game
Xenogears has THE Lucca in it, so it would be a sort of Trigger game (before it got changed during planning stages) and I guess an honorary FF game by extension.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Both Xenogears and Parasite Eve started as proposals for FF7, IIRC.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Both Xenogears and Parasite Eve started as proposals for FF7, IIRC.

It really is amazing how much stuff sprang out of that brainstorming session for "How do we follow up Final Fantasy 6?"

Final Fantasy 7 obviously, a bit of Final Fantasy 8, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can kinda see how xenogears would evolve out of ff6. meaning of life and death, pretty big party with different movesets, mechs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Procrastine posted:

I want to see a Final Fantasy game that builds on the Magicite and especially GF systems more and turns it into a sort of job system except instead of Knight/Thief/Black Mage/White Mage/etc your jobs are Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh/Unicorn/etc

I also want Final Fantasy with Stands. Or Personas if you'd rather call them that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Procrastine posted:

This is basically what it looks like FFXVI is doing, it's just that it's only one character who gets to use them all

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is summons but jobs not just Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Of course the ones with real names and models are rare gacha pulls so you win some and you lose some.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Asterite34 posted:

It really is amazing how much stuff sprang out of that brainstorming session for "How do we follow up Final Fantasy 6?"

Final Fantasy 7 obviously, a bit of Final Fantasy 8, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana...
The same thing happened with FF4, where some of the ideas turned into Secret of Mana, and some of the ideas for that wound up in Chrono Trigger.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I also want Final Fantasy with Stands. Or Personas if you'd rather call them that.

zedprime posted:

Is summons but jobs not just Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Of course the ones with real names and models are rare gacha pulls so you win some and you lose some.

I'm thinking of it not as the summons fighting alongside you like Xenoblade 2, but them being junctioned like FF8 or however magicite works in-universe in FF6. You could summon them too but it's less of a focus, more "well we can't not let you summon the summons". I'm just throwing out ideas based on thinking GFs were a good idea hampered by things like being in the same game as "casting spells reduces your stats*"

Harrow posted:

This is basically what it looks like FFXVI is doing, it's just that it's only one character who gets to use them all

Yeah but like, with a full party and not an action RPG

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm playing FFXIII and just got back to Cocoon to save everyone there. Did I say "save everyone?" I should have said that our heroes are going to save most people, but kind of gleefully kill a few guys, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=494AENQ2SqI&t=128s

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm playing FFXIII and just got back to Cocoon to save everyone there. Did I say "save everyone?" I should have said that our heroes are going to save most people, but kind of gleefully kill a few guys, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=494AENQ2SqI&t=128s

Eh, they're all dead, anyway. No one can resist the march of the turtlephants.

This chapter, for me, was the last good moment of XIII. It felt appropriately chaotic and tense. And this song is so damned good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGYqUrrHQak

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Final Fantasy Tactics with Squire Ramza as a magic caster continues to be the ideal Final Fantasy Tactics experience. If you make him eat dead black mages' crystals to learn spells, he also never has to swap out of Squire which keeps his growth balanced so he's extremely strong physically and magically.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Procrastine posted:

XVI might have what you're looking for.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mustached Demon posted:

XVI might have what you're looking for.

Making them essentially the weapons in an action game with one character is a far cry from making them essentially the jobs in an RPG with multiple party members.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Making them essentially the weapons in an action game with one character is a far cry from making them essentially the jobs in an RPG with multiple party members.

If they significantly change how you fight(Similar to styles in DMC the game the gameplay director made) then yeah they are essentially jobs. And they didn't bring up multiple party members in their post, that's your cross you've decided to bear you brought into.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 7, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just being difficult for no reason. I want summons that're also characters and no I will not play FF14 or 15.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

I'm just being difficult for no reason. I want summons that're also characters and no I will not play FF14 or 15.

Well 15 has too many men (icky) and 14 has a tumblr sexyman sadboy so Cleretic doesn’t like those either

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I get where you're coming from to call a style/stance system a job system, and I don't think it's incorrect, but using RPG terminology for an action game mechanic feels really weird to me.

I haven't played Strangers of Paradise, but the job system in that game is essentially just the style system, right? Like you can switch pretty fluidly between jobs in the middle of combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

I get where you're coming from to call a style/stance system a job system, and I don't think it's incorrect, but using RPG terminology for an action game mechanic feels really weird to me.

I haven't played Strangers of Paradise, but the job system in that game is essentially just the style system, right? Like you can switch pretty fluidly between jobs in the middle of combat?

you can equip two at a time and switch between them mid-combat, it's a little bit like DMC3