Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TemTem apparently sucks, so everyone abandoned the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You can run all 14's story dungeons in ARR with bots now if you want to take your first run slow, they're working on adding bots to every story dungeon that doesn't have them yet (Heavensward/Stormblood ones) by the next expansion

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I guess they are just responding to their player base wishes but that's insane to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's basically just futureproofing since most dungeons are required to progress the story and this way someone isn't boned because the game starts dying or plays at 3am and can't wait 40mins for a dps queue to progress.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
New World has no dungeon finder and I typically could find a dungeon group about twice as fast as any MMO with a dungeon finder, as a dps. Maybe 10 min tops vs the 20-40 min queues in other games. It was the first game I played without one in a long time and I found it kind of refreshing, and typically people were more chill in the dungeon or would chat a bit while we filled.

I hope MMOs with instanced dungeons and raids via a matchmaker as their main pve appeal go the way of the dodo, honestly, it’s boring as hell. Games like Destiny or other MMO-lites do it better and MMOs could make a better niche focusing on better open world experiences.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
firstly, no idea what games you play, but lately i've been getting <2 min queues even as dps in ff14 so clearly, my anecdata shows DF is better

secondly, leaving grouping to RNG (which shouting into the void that is global chat is) is dumb as all hell, because for every guy who goes "yeah i get groups faster than DF average" there'll be guy who goes "i kept shouting for 2 hours and nothing happened"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My main experience of pre-dungeon finder WoW dungeons was spamming 'LFM 1 tank and 2 DPS' for 40 minutes to get a group and then just eventually not doing any dungeons. WotLK was the first time I meaningfully engaged with them at all because just getting into one stopped being such a tax on your time and patience and especially in the year 2022 I just cannot imagine spending my few evening gaming hours going back to recruiting purgatory for what used to be a 15 minute queue at worst where you could play the rest of the game while you waited

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

No Dignity posted:

My main experience of pre-dungeon finder WoW dungeons was spamming 'LFM 1 tank and 2 DPS' for 40 minutes to get a group and then just eventually not doing any dungeons. WotLK was the first time I meaningfully engaged with them at all because just getting into one stopped being such a tax on your time and patience and especially in the year 2022 I just cannot imagine spending my few evening gaming hours going back to recruiting purgatory for what used to be a 15 minute queue at worst where you could play the rest of the game while you waited

I had the same experience so I almost wonder if it has to do with game and server size. Small game servers are easy to find groups and turbo chill, I find, but I can’t imagine a manual DF in WoW or FFXIV. My most played MMOs in the past few years are gw2, ddo, ffxi, and maybe new world, haven’t really missed not having matchmaking but they are quite different games than the behemoths.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
both gw2 and ddo have good grouping interfaces like ff14's party finder though, and aren't locked to roles. dunno about the other 2

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's always DPS who hate having to make groups. The holy trinity has a lot to answer for.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Phigs posted:

It's always DPS who hate having to make groups. The holy trinity has a lot to answer for.

to balance things out there should be a 4th role that unfolds a lawn chair and sits on it reading a book

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
give me back horrible CC/utility roles that every group needs and no one wants to play

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Love to get into groups faster as a DPS because I multibox a bard, and we’re a package deal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reagan posted:

give me back horrible CC/utility roles that every group needs and no one wants to play

lineage 2 fixed this by having utility/buff roles buffs work on themselves so they just needed to equip a polearm and go to town along everyone else, and do comparable damage to the actual polearm class without buff classes present lmao

l2 had some very good ideas for its time. too bad about the xp curve lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's enchanter except I think people liked playing them.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

enchanters and bards were cool and overpowered as hell :colbert:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

to balance things out there should be a 4th role that unfolds a lawn chair and sits on it reading a book

Thats my kind of role.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dungeon finder made running instances easier, got rid of a lot of the elitism, and helped people learn their party roles, and in the process of all of that sucked the fun out of instances because it became something you farmed rather than something you struggled to get people together to do. When you can run something 15 times in a row without a second thought it gets boring.

But of course none of us are 15 years old and on summer vacation anymore so :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The now extinct support role from the Everquest days.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm a sicko who loved how grouping worked in EQ.

I enjoyed it a lot when the game first launched and I played a lot. I took a break once I hit max level and tried the game again a couple of years later, when most people were significantly higher level (due to expansions) and I didn’t have a guild and I didn’t know anyone, and that was less fun.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

CuddleCryptid posted:

Dungeon finder made running instances easier, got rid of a lot of the elitism, and helped people learn their party roles, and in the process of all of that sucked the fun out of instances because it became something you farmed rather than something you struggled to get people together to do. When you can run something 15 times in a row without a second thought it gets boring.

But of course none of us are 15 years old and on summer vacation anymore so :shrug:
Yea like.. if they remove the social aspects, why play an mmo? Though I stuck to the roleplay servers, so that may have changed things.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People just find other avenues and activities to socialize in. Dungeons don't have to be the end all be all to get people to talk to eachother.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i boxed a bard with my tank for a few years on everquest and this is basically what the bard did - twisting buff songs was automated by this point and i hotkeyed every single additional group buff to 1 key that i'd just hit once per pull (the first pull of the group would drop like a sack of potatoes from like a hundred hugely overpowered buffs but then their cooldowns would be desynced). usually i'd leave the bard on autofollow and position my tank so that i could just tab into the bard, hit the assist hotkey and he'd autoattack

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jackard posted:

Yea like.. if they remove the social aspects, why play an mmo? Though I stuck to the roleplay servers, so that may have changed things.

I don't think spamming chat for the best part of an hour trying to find bodies to run through content is the richest social experience you can have, even in a game. The few acquaintances I did make in WoW either came from guild membership or just grouping up with someone to do open world content, the structure of dungeon group finding just pushed me towards not running any dungeons at all so I never met people in dungeons!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

FF14 just straight up removing some of its chat and trade for the free trial really surprised me. Want to actually interact with some of those people you met in the dungeon? Too bad!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jackard posted:

FF14 just straight up removing some of its chat and trade for the free trial really surprised me. Want to actually interact with some of those people you met in the dungeon? Too bad!

This is due to bots and like every modern MMO with a free/pay split does this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How much of the Shadowlands expansion is running around with NPCs that fight with you? Cause I am really liking this, even if the story itself is typical Saturday morning cartoon quality that Blizzard is known for now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is due to bots and like every modern MMO with a free/pay split does this.
That's obvious, knowing doesn't make it feel any better.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

No Dignity posted:

I don't think spamming chat for the best part of an hour trying to find bodies to run through content is the richest social experience you can have, even in a game. The few acquaintances I did make in WoW either came from guild membership or just grouping up with someone to do open world content, the structure of dungeon group finding just pushed me towards not running any dungeons at all so I never met people in dungeons!

I guess it depends on everyone's own experience because the suckass experience of spamming for groups is what drove me into a guild in the first place, to be able to create a convenient instance running group, and then my social circle grew from there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I appreciate that Lost Ark lets you do both matchmaking, and a party finder browser.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
"suffering builds character" but for social structures, I can't believe this poo poo

no, poo poo being loving busted means that the good things that appear develop in spite of it, not because of it. Elite would be a flourishing wonderland of socialization if this wasn't the case

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dungeon finders but you only go into the dungeon after sharing a nice dinner with your assigned party at the restaurant in front of the dungeon. the person who foots the bill gets an item find bonus so everyone fights over it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

dungeon finders but you only go into the dungeon after sharing a nice dinner with your assigned party at the restaurant in front of the dungeon. the person who foots the bill gets an item find bonus so everyone fights over it.

Finally, a game where the Cooking crafting skill is actually relevant

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My unrealistic idea for a dungeon idea would be that dungeons are public, and everyone in the dungeon is automatically put into a party and you have zone wide objectives to complete and bosses to kill together that scales to how many players are in the zone.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i just realized thats pretty much monster hunter if it were an mmo

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

I said come in! posted:

My unrealistic idea for a dungeon idea would be that dungeons are public, and everyone in the dungeon is automatically put into a party and you have zone wide objectives to complete and bosses to kill together that scales to how many players are in the zone.

So you want world quests but with terrible forced grouping?

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS

Mr. Neutron posted:

I guess they are just responding to their player base wishes but that's insane to me.

ff14 isn't an mmo its a final fantasy game you play with other people sometimes

they said they specifically want to court final fantasy fans who have not played 14 because the mmo aspect puts them off

its an amazing game I love, but thinking of it as an 'mmo' isn't the right way to think of it

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

genovefa fedelmid posted:

ff14 isn't an mmo its a final fantasy game you play with other people sometimes

they said they specifically want to court final fantasy fans who have not played 14 because the mmo aspect puts them off

its an amazing game I love, but thinking of it as an 'mmo' isn't the right way to think of it

FF14 is the #1 MMO: https://in.ign.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online-shadowbringers/160109/news/final-fantasy-14-vs-world-of-warcraft-most-played-mmorpg

I don't particularly like it as a game, but pretending it isn't what it is, is silly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FF14 is an MMO, Square calling it not an MMO is being super dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

LLSix posted:

FF14 is the #1 MMO: https://in.ign.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online-shadowbringers/160109/news/final-fantasy-14-vs-world-of-warcraft-most-played-mmorpg

I don't particularly like it as a game, but pretending it isn't what it is, is silly.

Not that I disagree but a lot of games play fast-and-loose with the term “MMO” so IGN calling a game with a large playerbase - one that may or may not be massively-multiplayer in the traditional sense - the “number one MMO” doesn’t make it one.