Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Koobze posted:

- AnvilMetalRecovery but I haven't actually tested it out yet

I'll put in my two cents for this one, with a thumbs up. Its a minor return on material, but anything helps! Plus it gives some economic advantage to using the anvil vs casting, otherwise I would prefer to cast most things that I can.

quote:

My last few runs I did just for fun, playing with different world-gen settings, since I wanted to see if I could run south far enough to hit a warmer climate. I am still not sure how all the settings relate - I mean it sounds like the setting for "distance from pole to equator" should somehow relate to "world height" (presumably being half the height) but this isn't the case and there are local minima/maxima in temperature somehow, though still going south = warmer.

From what I've read the world height (N/S that is) is rather decoupled from the poles and equators. With large enough worlds and/or short enough pole-equator distances, if you just keep running south or north you'll loop over through the pole to tropics to the equator and back and repeat.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm watching a guide to learn more about Vintage story and he mentioned something interesting about firepits. When cooking stacks of things an item starts cold then heats up to critical temperature then the progress bar starts. The next item then starts cold and does the same thing. He was saying that's a bug and it should be much faster. Is that true? If so that would save me a ton of wood/time feathering the heat level.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, sounds about right. Probably the biggest thing there is when you're processing lime into quicklime. To speed the process, you don't just want to sit a stack of 64 lime and run off somewhere, ideally you are juggling 4 campfires and yes, heat one stack of lime up to temperature then hold it in your bag and distribute the heated lime out over time to each campfire.

The same happens with things like torches, but they heat and process so fast it's not super important. Lime though, heating to 825F just takes awhile.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

buglord posted:

Phone posting in bed so someone might be able to pick up the slack:

If I’m in an area that the propick tells me is good, I just make a 1x1 nerd pole down in the center of the chunk. Then, about every 8 vertical blocks, I use the propick’s Node function to see if there’s any ore within the immediate vicinity.

Depending on settings, the node function scans for ore in a 8x8 block radius and tells you if anything is there or not. This can be adjusted in server settings but I believe this is the default.

Then I just keep moving down the nerd pole and doing Node checks every 8 blocks, rinse repeat. Once the node check does finds something, I start mining in that little area, keeping the ladder pillar intact.

It feels a little cheesy but caving is so high risk low reward that I don’t care much about fairness.

Just a little nitpicky clarification to what you said, the node search number you select for the propick is the radius, not the diameter, of the area that gets searched. With the number set to 8, for example, you'll be looking at a 17x17x17 cube centered on the block you broke.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do people feel about The Survivalists? A friend recommended it to me and it seems to be on a hefty discount right now on Fanatical.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

TeaJay posted:

How do people feel about The Survivalists? A friend recommended it to me and it seems to be on a hefty discount right now on Fanatical.

If it follows the same pattern as The Escapists games it's likely an interesting concept that needed more time in the oven, is propped up on a bit too much RNG, rife with bugs that will never be patched (some of them progression-halting), and may overall serve as a briefly intriguing distraction at best.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

MrGreenShirt posted:

Just a little nitpicky clarification to what you said, the node search number you select for the propick is the radius, not the diameter, of the area that gets searched. With the number set to 8, for example, you'll be looking at a 17x17x17 cube centered on the block you broke.

In a way, the large radius can make it more difficult to find ore, because it casts such a wide net. Can be better to set it to a smaller radius so you don’t have to create such a huge spider web of tunnels. Mostly the problem is when the layer of ore is jussst below or above you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought vintage story and was alarmed at how loud my laptop got as soon as I turned it on. I mean I guess it does that on AAA steam games too, but it surprised me and thoughts of an indie game burning my GPU flitted through my head.

Still, I have friends that play Ark and I bet they'll like this.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Goreld posted:

In a way, the large radius can make it more difficult to find ore, because it casts such a wide net. Can be better to set it to a smaller radius so you don’t have to create such a huge spider web of tunnels. Mostly the problem is when the layer of ore is jussst below or above you.

Yeah, I keep mine at 8 for this reason. It makes it possible to triangulate ore deposits without having to strip mine too much area.

I should see if there's a modded blasting powder for stone, now that I'm thinking of it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MrGreenShirt posted:

Nitpicks are fine because it’ll help me next time I play this (once this blasted server updates to 1.17)

Thanks

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Goreld posted:

I was having trouble with this last night. I kept getting "Large amounts" no matter where I looked so I couldn't triangulate. So I downloaded an ore x-ray mod just to see what the hell was going on. I looked around and there were just little pockets everywhere screwing up my rangefinding. Why is node search disabled by default? There is no way in hell I'd ever be able to find ore without it.

In other news I found a giant iron vein. I had just made it to the bronze age and now I'm catapaulting my way into the iron age.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Travic posted:

In other news I found a giant iron vein. I had just made it to the bronze age and now I'm catapaulting my way into the iron age.

Bronze really is just a stepping stone to iron. As soon as you find iron, you get so much of it that you can afford to replace all of your tools with it. Bronze immediately becomes obsolete, except for the few things that require it (Mining Bags) or for cosmetics.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I bought vintage story and was alarmed at how loud my laptop got as soon as I turned it on. I mean I guess it does that on AAA steam games too, but it surprised me and thoughts of an indie game burning my GPU flitted through my head.

Still, I have friends that play Ark and I bet they'll like this.

I’ve heard that people will run into very high cpu usage if they don’t tell VS to limit FPS. If you set it to a high level, it will take as much computer power as it can.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
If it's your actual GPU fans going crazy, you should look up a guide on how to undervolt. It significantly reduced the temp when I did it with no discernable performance loss.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any tips on finding bees in Vintage Story? The world I'm in has been very hilly and forests tend to be small. I've been through a dozen of them and still haven't found a single bee hive.

It's pretty fun to play with a friend, but drifters are definitely more annoying obstacle than fun challenge. We did make the mistake of building our house between two caves during the starter grace period. When it ended, we were getting waves of up to 6 drifters coming in almost faster than we could kill them. Had to seal off the caves completely. It was pretty exciting before that, though.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 8, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You want to make sure you're in a temperate area, you want to see that there's common rainfall, yeah forests are great but I've found some in the more swamp-like areas (bald cypress throughout the water kinda thing), and you want to be listening super close for the buzz of bees. It can be rather difficult to hear and I've definitely been working on one wild hive to only find a much closer hive to my homestead on perhaps the 2nd or 3rd check on that wild hive. Apparently, there's a mod which gives a special notification when the buzz would otherwise be barely audible, which can help.

But if you're having an issue in one area, move 1000 blocks over and start looking again.

Most of my games I did the usual, "settle within 1000 blocks of start" but this time I decided to be picky and spent 1-2 in game weeks running around. I managed to forage up enough flax for 4 cloth bags in that time, but finally found a spot around 5000,y,8000 I liked and it's been a far, far better game. Basically, I chose it for being at the edge of a chalk/limestone biome and granite biome, which was also near a more arid pine forest (great for resin), and swamp (with bald cypress in the water and birch on the shores which is where I found my bees this run).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LLSix posted:

Any tips on finding bees in Vintage Story?

When you start a new game, don't chop down the first tree you see once you've made an axe. It's guaranteed to have bees in it, I swear to fuckin god.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LLSix posted:

Any tips on finding bees in Vintage Story? The world I'm in has been very hilly and forests tend to be small. I've been through a dozen of them and still haven't found a single bee hive.

It's pretty fun to play with a friend, but drifters are definitely more annoying obstacle than fun challenge. We did make the mistake of building our house between two caves during the starter grace period. When it ended, we were getting waves of up to 6 drifters coming in almost faster than we could kill them. Had to seal off the caves completely. It was pretty exciting before that, though.

this is normal, bees and tin are the rarest resources in the world. I thought the sound they made must be too subtle or something until I actually found one like 100 hours in

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Headphones help a lot.

In my very first world I had to wander nearby forests for days carefully listening for hives until I finally found one. In my most recent world, I spawned in a forest and found a hive late on the 1st day :shrug:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I have like 5 hives within 1000 blocks of my base, but most of them I passed pretty close by multiple times before I heard the buzzing. It's much worse when it's in a tall tree, because it might be barely audible even when standing directly below it.

On the other hand I found 1 tree with resin, neglected to mark it, and have never found any more of the stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Today in Conan, I ate some food so spicy that it killed me

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

the real vintage story experience is installing every mod that looks even remotely interesting and then reeling back just to the point that the game stops crashing

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
All the mods that add meaningful mechanics and items can go, but the mod that makes oil lamps hang from little chains stays :colbert:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
have absolutely dissolved my brain in Conan collecting thralls and playing pretty warrior princess dressup :kiddo:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Conan is surprisingly fun for being as janky as it is. There's also a goon pve server up at the moment, check it out here. I haven't been on this incarnation yet but I'm thinking of getting back into it now that there's magic or something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cool Dad posted:

Conan is surprisingly fun for being as janky as it is. There's also a goon pve server up at the moment, check it out here. I haven't been on this incarnation yet but I'm thinking of getting back into it now that there's magic or something.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Are there any tips for finding limestone in Vintage Story beyond just exploring more? I've gone about a days travel in every direction and found none. There is a ton of granite and a fair amount of basalt, but no limestone. I've been walking and checking the exposed rock and the rock bits on the ground. Is there some trick to finding it?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Travic posted:

Are there any tips for finding limestone in Vintage Story beyond just exploring more? I've gone about a days travel in every direction and found none. There is a ton of granite and a fair amount of basalt, but no limestone. I've been walking and checking the exposed rock and the rock bits on the ground. Is there some trick to finding it?

You need to find an area with sedimentary rock, because at that point it might be able to spawn in a rock layer between top and the lower igneous. There is otherwise no special place or temperature where it spawns.

Both limestone and chalk are bright white, so patches of sand or gravel in either one of those biomes (if they're the top rock layer) will show easily on the map as compared to the light gray of granite.

What I've done for exploring is making large 60 or 90 degree zig zags across the map due to the large size of rock areas. Whether this is ideal or not, I'm not sure, but I did manage to find my first chalk biome around 5000,y,8000 in my world with default world generation, and I had been all the way to -2000x and 10000z.

If you're lime hunting, you can also get sufficient lime from trading with commodities traders for something like leather working, but mass production of quicklime unfortunately would be very expensive.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

HelloSailorSign posted:

You need to find an area with sedimentary rock, because at that point it might be able to spawn in a rock layer between top and the lower igneous. There is otherwise no special place or temperature where it spawns.

Both limestone and chalk are bright white, so patches of sand or gravel in either one of those biomes (if they're the top rock layer) will show easily on the map as compared to the light gray of granite.

What I've done for exploring is making large 60 or 90 degree zig zags across the map due to the large size of rock areas. Whether this is ideal or not, I'm not sure, but I did manage to find my first chalk biome around 5000,y,8000 in my world with default world generation, and I had been all the way to -2000x and 10000z.

If you're lime hunting, you can also get sufficient lime from trading with commodities traders for something like leather working, but mass production of quicklime unfortunately would be very expensive.

I'm lime hunting. I just need enough to make the backpacks.

Also for mortar.

Travic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 9, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can probably get enough for that with a simple commodities trader, they sell lime in stacks of.... 16? for 2-3 gears each I think? Usually having 3-4 (so total of 1 full stack of 64) in stock?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. Sounds like I need to get to farming gears.

It seems like the general style of Vintage Story is that resources are hard to find but once you find some, you're set for a long time/forever.

Travic fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 9, 2022

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Travic posted:

In any particular area, stone layers will show up in the following order

Basalt (optional)
Sedimentary
Metamorphic
Igneous

Just explore around. When you find an area where the top layer is either basalt or sedimentary just dig down until you hit metamorphic or igneous. No limestone or chalk? Keep hunting! Forever!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

MrGreenShirt posted:

In any particular area, stone layers will show up in the following order

Basalt (optional)
Sedimentary
Metamorphic
Igneous

Just explore around. When you find an area where the top layer is either basalt or sedimentary just dig down until you hit metamorphic or igneous. No limestone or chalk? Keep hunting! Forever!

Ok. The loose stones on the ground indicative of the first layer underneath, right? So if I see granite stones lying around, just keep walking?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for all the advice for finding bees. I got the mod that makes a big text bubble appear for bee sounds, so I'm all set to go hunting the next time we both have time to play.

Travic posted:

There's an effort post on the official forums: https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/4748-prospecting-for-limestonechalk-guide/

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

LLSix posted:

Thanks for all the advice for finding bees. I got the mod that makes a big text bubble appear for bee sounds, so I'm all set to go hunting the next time we both have time to play.

There's an effort post on the official forums: https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/4748-prospecting-for-limestonechalk-guide/

That's great. Thank you.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I did not know basalt could have sedimentary under it! That's some real great thought given into usage of ores and where they spawn in.

Though I do know that you can grind marble stones into lime, as I managed to find some marble in... shale? and the small stones said I could grind it down. That said, marble spawns in small patches so wouldn't be a good source of lime. Doubly true as I was trying to mine it out so I could get the most intact blocks possible.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, I'm in a claystone area and found my limestone in small-ish layers mixed in it while exploring the local caves. I have a building materials trader nearby that can sell me all the plaster I want, so I really just need it for making leather.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Finally found some limestone. Found a lot of sedimentary areas too. Apparently I'm on a 4000 x 4000 granite plate :v:

Hopefully now I can get some other ores too. Lead would be nice.

Thanks for the help. :)

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 10, 2022

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

As a Kenshi fan, I approve of this simple cosmetic change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm looking for more tin to avoid falling back out of the bronze age (the first quartz deposit I mined had only 2 poor gold nuggets and no silver :( )

My prospecting pick found this cluster of very high 0.2% and ultra high 0.2% cassiterite(tin):

Any tips on where to dig down to try to find it? Or even how deep to look? The area is pretty hilly (un-annotated screenshot). The red map-marker is just fire clay, not a cave.

I'm guessing I want to try that middle UH square, but even that's a pretty large area to cover.

Godlessdonut posted:

As a Kenshi fan, I approve of this simple cosmetic change.

Nice aesthetic. The bed on the floor in back is a great touch.