Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

silence_kit posted:

Windows 10 and 11 are pretty good. It’s almost as easy to use and as maintenance free as a smart phone.
I don't like Windows, but it's nowhere near as bad as a smartphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: “The internet is not real life” is not a good mantra. It is real life! It’s a major factor of the offline world! Political movements are born there, bestselling books are determined from its word of mouth, people have their lives ruined because of it.

Just because it’s not always representative of the total population doesn’t mean it isn’t remarkably important

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the internet is not real life actually

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

We know this to be true because people voluntarily interact with you on the internet.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

PHUO: “The internet is not real life” is not a good mantra. It is real life!

It's not

Go outside

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

The I in Internet stands for "in IRL life", actually.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's text and pictures on a screen. i'm text and pictures on your screen, you are text and pictures on my screen. real life is trees and dogs and people and stuff

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There is still a person behind those words.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ishikabibble posted:

Linux users really feel like a cult

It really feels like there's two or three programmed responses about how wonderful Linux and open source software is that they're required to give any time Linux comes up in conversation. Even though, in my experience, it seems like the average Linux user's default state is 'hating Linux because they're trying to do something outside the incredibly narrow usage paradigm of the original developers of that distro/fork/app/whatever so they have to spend six hours troubleshooting it to get it to work', or 'hating Linux because they're trying to introduce some new feature that's different from the old feature and therefor irredeemably bad gently caress this forever'.

Some Linux guys definitely can be cultish in their devotion. What I like about Linux, other than not dealing with Windows spyware, is the range of user experiences. There are distros for people who want a desktop environment almost exactly like Windows or Mac, and there are more advanced distros like Arch for grognards who want to go through the tedious process of setting everything up on their own.

Although I've been pretty lucky with my distro (Mint + awesomewm), I know a lot of Linux users have to spend hours diagnosing driver issues.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Linux is only free if your time has no value.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Shibawanko posted:

it's text and pictures on a screen. i'm text and pictures on your screen, you are text and pictures on my screen. real life is trees and dogs and people and stuff

Those text and pictures on a screen have the power to radicalize people who shoot up a store. That's real life.

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
No such thing as rear end too fat and Stevie Wonder has grating voice.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Exactly.

It’s free.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Windows can also be a huge hassle to set up if you want to customise everything and do uncommon things with it. And Linux Mint is quicker and easier to download and set up than Windows and just works right away on every computer I've tried it on.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Atticus_1354 posted:

Those text and pictures on a screen have the power to radicalize people who shoot up a store. That's real life.

That's ridiculous

Inability to to distinguish reality from fantasy doesn't make the fantasy real

And btw there are no people behind the text and pictures - just performances. Maybe there is an exception for people you know in real life simply due to their inability to pretend they are other than they are

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I know a lot of Linux users have to spend hours diagnosing driver issues.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What's it like, still living there in 2005? Got some Dubya jokes and some hot new Outkast tracks for us?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

btw there are no people behind the text and pictures - just performances. Maybe there is an exception for people you know in real life simply due to their inability to pretend they are other than they are

What is the difference between yourself as a person and yourself as performer?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Shibawanko posted:

text, pictures, and screens are all real.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

What's it like, still living there in 2005? Got some Dubya jokes and some hot new Outkast tracks for us?

Pretty nice, actually. I'm 21 and Donald Trump is just a loudmouth fake businessman on a reality TV show.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

What is the difference between yourself as a person and yourself as performer?

You and I are strangers and you are asking me a question as deep as that and probably expecting an answer. That's nothing a normal person would do in real life. I am interacting with a fiction - a persona that would not and could not exist outside a shared database hosted on a computer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You know those kids picture books where it's just two page spread of paintings crammed with details? Those things are one of the highest forms of literature

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

You know those kids picture books where it's just two page spread of paintings crammed with details? Those things are one of the highest forms of literature

Truth

Also drawing super detailed stick figure forts and wars on legal-size paper is one of the highest forms of visual art

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The telephone isn't real life.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

You and I are strangers and you are asking me a question as deep as that and probably expecting an answer. That's nothing a normal person would do in real life. I am interacting with a fiction - a persona that would not and could not exist outside a shared database hosted on a computer

I don't think that's true. The fact is if you'd responded with the first thing and we were in a setting where the main aim is to talk about poo poo, I'd probably ask you the same question. You don't have to answer, ofc, but it is a touch different.

Like I once had someone talk to me about how "Theft is punished too lightly" or what have you at work and, having seen him reading a book on the British Empire I asked him what the difference was between Empire and theft. He got real cross.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

I don't think that's true. The fact is if you'd responded with the first thing and we were in a setting where the main aim is to talk about poo poo, I'd probably ask you the same question. You don't have to answer, ofc, but it is a touch different.

Like I once had someone talk to me about how "Theft is punished too lightly" or what have you at work and, having seen him reading a book on the British Empire I asked him what the difference was between Empire and theft. He got real cross.

Empires happen by force, which makes them robbery. Maybe burglary too, since they typically happen in other people’s homes

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

My one experience with Linux has been trying to use it on the Steam Deck, and then having the console almost lock itself up because it kept trying to install Chrome through the game launcher layer. Because somewhere in between the factory installed OS version and when I received it, the repository was updated to include both Chrome and Chrome Developer Edition, so it kept querying the console 'which one' and the console kept just going 'google chrome'.
And then I backed out of that and went into the desktop environment and found out it already had Firefox preinstalled.

A+ user experience for a $600 toy

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I know a lot of early internet discourse was spent on an argument about windows vs linux

It's weird that if you could poll the world on which was right at the time the answer would overwhelmingly be "neither, who cares" and the answer today would be "whichever thing is on my phone"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I genuinely don't understand how land acknowledgments are supposed to be anything other than dabbing on the native people.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

They are one of the more embarrassing of the performative "I'm one of the good ones" acts

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

The problem with arguments about Linux stability and drivers is it's entirely dependent on what's in your computer. If you have a business laptop it will work amazingly, if you have a franken-PC with oddball parts or some low-end garbage prebuilt gaming rig you're much more likely to suffer.

And the nVidia drivers suck, have always sucked, and probably will always suck.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My only experience with Linux was in a high school computer class where a partner and I set up a SUSE workstation. We got it up and running and I wanted to go the extra mile and really pretty it up but he just opened Frozen Bubble and played it for the rest of the class

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When it comes to operating systems, you have to go with what works best for you and your specific use case - "the right tool for the right job". Linux is more privacy respecting and allows for more personalization, but Windows is designed to work immediately 'out of the box' and that can be more convenient. It really depends on what your needs are.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Gripweed posted:

I genuinely don't understand how land acknowledgments are supposed to be anything other than dabbing on the native people.

A lot of local theaters and venues I've noticed are doing this more and more, before they begin they acknowledge that this land once belonged to this specific tribe. The gesture to recognize this land was conquered and colonized by white people is, I guess, not-negative. But what specifically is meant to be accomplished here? We're sure not giving it back. And there aren't even any Native Americans in the audience, here to see a white play written by a five hundred year old dead white guy about antiquated white aristocrat hijinks. It feels like it's just to help ease the burden of guilt ever so slightly so we can watch this play knowing we Did Our Part.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Looking at clouds has a bit of a bad reputation but that’s because a lot of people do it when they’ve got a lovely sky going. If you’ve got a good sky with multiple cloud levels and stuff, looking at clouds kicks rear end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd use Linux, but sound doesn't work on Linux.

Sorry for posting a fact instead of an opinion.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Telling the waiter your order is wrong is a dick move. Just eat the loving food. Possibly getting an order wrong is just part of going out to eat, you overprivileged snob. When you say your order is wrong, you cause all kinds of loving annoying trouble.

1) First of all, now your food is going to be thrown away.
2) The underpaid, stressed out waiter will feel like an idiot.
3) The waiter has to go back and tell the cooks to recook the food, all of which gets added to an already unmanageable queue, but also it doesn't count as a new food item; you effectively cause the cooks and the wait staff all to take a hit, which will have to be added to inventory and time sheets later, and the management will pick a person (could be the waiter, could be a cook, could be someone who wasn't even working when this happened) to lecture and bitch at and maybe even fire.
4) Now the rest of your party is eating while you wait for your new loving food to be made. Which leads to the "should we wait? is it okay we eat?" awkwardness.
5) You will be marked as a customer who did this, and if it happens again, your third visit will absolutely have public hair and spit in your food.
6) You will annoy those of us who just loving eat the food we're given because people make mistakes all the time and it's not a big deal unless it's like an allergy issue or something.
7) Once everyone is finished eating, the party has to wait for your new loving correct food to be consumed before they can leave.

Furthermore, if you ever go to a fast food joint and complain that your order is wrong, you're just a loony idiot. You're a naive person for thinking a bunch of stoned teenagers at Taco Bell are going to perform to your standards. 100% of orders made at fast food restaurants are wrong.

This frustrates me in the same way people complain when they're forced to work off the clock or they have their lunches deducted from their pay sheets. Yeah it sucks and it's a bummer but it's the world a lot of us live in.

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Sep 7, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

credburn posted:

This frustrates me in the same way people complain when they're forced to work off the clock or they have their lunches deducted from their pay sheets. Yeah it sucks and it's a bummer but it's the world a lot of us live in.

You had a point until you advocated slavery.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I suspect you may have put more effort into having an opinion about wrong food orders than everyone in the service industry combined

Orders are wrong sometimes. It's part of the job and barely anyone notices you sending the food back unless you are a dick about it

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

Byzantine posted:

You had a point until you advocated slavery.

It reads not as advocation, but resignation to it being a fact of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Asynchronous Event posted:

It reads not as advocation, but resignation to it being a fact of life.

This is not better