Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Imagine being the buffalo chud and having become visual shorthand for "insane person".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Grape posted:

Imagine being the buffalo chud and having become visual shorthand for "insane person".

The guy kinda deserves it, he may seem like he was a victim or someone misguided somehow, but no, he has 100% bought into all the stuff that lead him to getting incarcerated. Here's a fun interview with him from a while ago: https://youtu.be/Xwdkng6ZGp8

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JamesBont posted:

Don't forget Fetterman

He forgotterman.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Went looking for some stats about the GI Bill and found an article in a national security publication that outright says what Varvel suggests
https://warontherocks.com/2016/09/does-free-college-threaten-our-all-volunteer-military/

quote:

Many of those who join the military do so, at least in part, to obtain access to the G.I. Bill and the financial means to obtain a degree. According to a 2011 Pew Research Survey, 75 percent of those who enlisted said they did so to obtain educational benefits. That statistic has risen from the pre-9/11 era when it was just 55 percent — likely because college has become that much more expensive! As of 2014, 48 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans utilized the G.I. Bill, with 59 percent of female veterans doing so (a demographic the military wants to see grow in its ranks). If college became free, the incremental value of the G.I. Bill would be dramatically reduced. The effect would be similar for the Yellow Ribbon program, which provides money for education to those who have already served, ROTC scholarships, which provide funds to pay for a bachelor’s degree for aspiring officers, tuition assistance programs for those already on active duty, and the various programs to fund graduate education for officers. Without the G.I. Bill as a serious inducement to enlist, the military is likely to experience substantially more difficulty in recruiting new personnel. This will, with little doubt, require us to pay more to recruit tomorrow’s force and sustain the qualitative edge of our superb military.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Saint Sputnik posted:

Went looking for some stats about the GI Bill and found an article in a national security publication that outright says what Varvel suggests
https://warontherocks.com/2016/09/does-free-college-threaten-our-all-volunteer-military/

I fully understand the ghoulish logic of "we must keep college expensive to get poor people to enlist in the military". It's monstrous, but it does make sense if you are an rear end in a top hat.

The thing that gets me about that Varvel is it seems to be celebrating that the poor bastard died trying to afford college. Why show grieving parents crying over a casket if this is the outcome you want to promote? Seriously, who does that appeal to other than bloodthirsty sociopaths? I could see a more competent cartoon trying to make the same point, by having a straitlaced, muscular soldier with a buzz-cut (the rightwing vision of everything a man should be) saying if he hadn't been forced to join the military to pay for college he never would have been forced to grow up and become a man.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Strong stance against Ukrainian refugees?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Are we sure Gorrel is an actual human being and not the least successful art creating AI?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"No Rosie, you are the fascists"
And then Rosie was a fascist.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Don't bring your signifiers to work and you won't get branded.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I guess when the war Rosie is volunteering for is against her fellow Americans and democratic elections, it suddenly becomes fascist? I don't know why, there's absolutely no difference!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey you know what nobody has done? Joe Biden as a firefighter spraying flammable substances on a fire to try to put it out. I guess it's just too obvious for the fine artists in this thread to bother with, though. Gotta aim higher to make it in the cutthroat world of editorial cartooning

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Next you're going to say that the fire is labled Debt or something silly.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hey but that strategy worked for Trump, why are they mad at Biden for copying Uncle Donald?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on a hatching of horror – Liz Truss inherits the dry and dusty ruins left by Boris Johnson and Theresa May"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Liz Truss vows: ‘We will deliver, we will deliver, we will deliver’

Times:

"Liz Truss’s victory speech was crushingly banal"

Evening Standard:

Johnson pledges loyalty to Truss as he hints at taking back seat – for now

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Do you have a source to back that up, drinky duck?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I dont know posted:

I fully understand the ghoulish logic of "we must keep college expensive to get poor people to enlist in the military". It's monstrous, but it does make sense if you are an rear end in a top hat.

The thing that gets me about that Varvel is it seems to be celebrating that the poor bastard died trying to afford college. Why show grieving parents crying over a casket if this is the outcome you want to promote? Seriously, who does that appeal to other than bloodthirsty sociopaths? I could see a more competent cartoon trying to make the same point, by having a straitlaced, muscular soldier with a buzz-cut (the rightwing vision of everything a man should be) saying if he hadn't been forced to join the military to pay for college he never would have been forced to grow up and become a man.
It appeals to other conservatives.

One of the conservative tenets is that personal responsibility is a virtue that ought to solve all problems. Someone needed an education so they took responsibility and signed up to run a death gauntlet to get GI benefits, while someone else just took out loans. Now if you forgive the loans or worse make education affordable, it's unfair to the guy who died and his family, he's being punished for his personal responsibility while those who didn't join the military are rewarded.

If you are going to ask "but wait wouldn't that mean we mustn't ever improve society because it would be unfair to those who came before", hi welcome to being conservative.

It's basically like those Asay cartoons where it makes no sense unless you're already a conservative and then it's just intuitively right.

E: here's my favorite Asay conservative-logic cartoon

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 6, 2022

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

JamesBont posted:

Do you have a source to back that up, drinky duck?

*yahoo news

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

How credible is that?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
About as credible as every other time Mallard says "trust me, I read it on the internet"

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Losses from Sanctions by Cai Meng

Le Monde

by Plop & KanKr from France
Great Britain: New Strikes, New Thatcher...
"We're waiting for the new Sex Pistols!"

by Jiho from France

Charlie Hebdo

This came along with a piece on over-population.

Tax the Rich
1. "Edmond, I'm going out to walk Chupette, can you hand me the keys to the Falcon?"
"Honey, it's a bit wild out there, it may be best to keep a low profile..."
2."...so it's best if you take the twingo."
"Huh, in what world, Vuitton?"
"Honk! Honk! In the name of law open up! Honk! Honk!"
3."What's the fuss Georges? And who are those people?"
"I fear it's the taxmen, sir."
"Are you going to open up fucker?"
"poo poo I was waiting for them... Let them in Georges, we're going to negotiate."
'Martinez Movers'

93 refers to the traditionally poor suburbs to the north of Paris.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

VitalSigns posted:

E: here's my favorite Asay conservative-logic cartoon

God I missed this, "gays getting married means there'll be less marriage for us!", Line of "reasoning."

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

TOLKIEN IS SPINNING IN HIS GRAVE

Amazon’s ‘woke’ Lord Of The Rings extravaganza is a $1 billion production. It might be widely watched, but so far it has received a lot of thumbs down and Amazon is now banning many of those negative reviews. It appears they are trying to protect their investment.

I read Tolkein’s three volume LOTR work twice in my younger days. It made quite an impression on me when I first read it while in high school. I remember trying to draw Boromir from my imagination. It wasn’t very good, but I’ve improved with years of practice. Apparently dramatic writing hasn’t improved—at least the script for the LOTR on Amazon hasn’t. I have no plans to watch it—especially after reading some of the reviews including this one from The Daily Mail, which gave it one star out of five:

“Turkey is not the word. No turkey, however bloated and stupid, could ever be big enough to convey the mesmerizing awfulness of Amazon’s billion dollar Tolkien epic. This is a disaster dragon – plucked, spatchcocked, with a tankerload of Paxo stuffed up its fundament, roasted and served with soggy sprouts. The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power is so staggeringly bad, it’s hilarious. Everything about it is ill-judged to a spectacular extreme. The cliche-laden script, the dire acting, the leaden pace, the sheer inconsistency and confusion as it lurches between styles – where do we start?”

The women are made into super heroes due to feminism. The white males are made weak and ineffective. They also must have inclusivity, so there will be black dwarves, hobbits, and elves, and I have no problem with that. However, I heard they will also introduce the usual prideful rainbow-ism. I don’t care if anyone is gay, but it’s not part of Tolkein’s vision. In his work, men are able to be friends with other men without suspicion of something ulterior going on. Likewise with the women. Maybe they’ll introduce a gay Balrog or something. How about a trans-orc?

Regardless, woke-ism tends to turn all it touches into garbage. It’s really nothing more than cultural Marxism, which has destruction as its core goal. It doesn’t care if it’s entertaining or not.

— Ben Garrison

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you just know he started with nancy pelosi as gollum and then gave up from there

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's such a bad show that they're putting BLACK ELVES into Tolkein, not that I have any problem with black elves of course

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Still wicked mad about that Lipstick on a Pig comment, huh benny?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Bezos as Smaug with an Amazon logo mouth is kinda clever. The rest of that poo poo however :nallears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Obama Gay. And still running the entire Deep State from his Gay Obama lair. I'm not obsessed you're obsessed. You're obsessed with orange man bad, who has not done anything of note recently.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Cowcaster posted:

you just know he started with nancy pelosi as gollum and then gave up from there

Why is Nancy Pelosi always depicted as a drunk when it was her husband who got arrested for DUI?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

NDP posted:

Why is Nancy Pelosi always depicted as a drunk when it was her husband who got arrested for DUI?

Misogyny.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Trump's "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" from 2017 transfers 1.5 trillion dollars of wealth to large corporations and very wealthy individuals (specifically those with S corps, partnerships, or pass-throughs to hold their money for them), its provisions will end up raising taxes on ~65% of American taxpayers, and it has had no discernible effect on employment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

NDP posted:

Conservative conspiracy theory is that she's drunk all the time and that's why her speech and demeanor have gotten so weird, but Occam's Razor says she's a million years old and it's most likely the beginnings of senility like the rest of our decrepit congress

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

NDP posted:

Maga brain is just a cloud of unconnected buzzwords

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Interest rates rise again. Reserve Bank raises interest rates again in most aggressive increases since 1994 (ABC).

Rowe:

Downes:

Wilcox:

On the Stage 3 tax cuts.

Knight:

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan. AFL welcomes historic seven-year $4.5 billion deal with Seven and Foxtel (The Age), the biggest deal made in Australian television by some margin.

Spooner:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

I don’t care if anyone is gay, but

He in fact cared quite a bit.

Nice job on him trying to pin it on Tolkien. "Oh it's not me being a hateful bigot, I just care about accuracy to Tolkien's work where there are no gays." I also like the idea that if gayness exists, that means men can't ever be good friends. That's just absolute nonsense. Tolkien saying "Men can be friends" does not logically mean that there's no gay people on Middle Earth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What relationship in film is less erotically charged than Sam and Frodo?

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

quote:

I don’t care if anyone is gay, but
"I'm not racist, but..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Neito posted:

Still wicked mad about that Lipstick on a Pig comment, huh benny?

It's funny because you KNOW he was one of the freaks who thought McCain was a ZOG NWO puppet even before Trump came along.