Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Maybe I'll buy a new DSLR, but for now, I'm going to just be lazy and shoot with an iPhone. I have a 7 right now, so I could really use some upgrading.

I don't really post here so I'm not sure how hostile this forum is to smartphone cameras, but if anyone uses them, opinions on the 12 Pro/13 Pro/rumored 14 cameras?

If you’re upgrading from an iPhone 7, the newer phone cameras are going to feel like absolute witchcraft. The Pros all have three lenses to provide a tele, normal and wide, whereas the non-Pro iPhones since the XS have had a normal and wide (the XS had a normal and tele combo).

Wouldn’t recommend a 12 Pro unless you get an absolute screaming deal on one with more memory, as the 14 is probably a month out or so. 13s might be on clearance soon. Any of them would be an enormous upgrade and well supported for apps and accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I appreciate all these replies. I was already leaning towards the Tamron but now it's a done deal. It's smaller, lighter, and, according to the review I read has much better weatherproofing than the Sigma I was looking at. Some of the best shots I ever get were in a heavy snowstorm, so I do not mind mixing it up in rough weather. Thanks all!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Just make sure it's the G2 and not the G1. Huge difference in quality.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

My Sony mirrorless E-mount camera literally floated away in an underwater case while I was diving.

drat lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

harperdc posted:

Wouldn’t recommend a 12 Pro unless you get an absolute screaming deal on one with more memory,

Is this because the 13 Pro's camera is much better?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

anyone made a switch from lightroom to DxO photolab?

kinda sick of the subscription thing, and since i so rarely change cameras/lenses, if a piece of software works, it works. the way it handles RAW files, at least from an a7riv, is hands down superior. i print huge, so the noise/detail matters.

i haven't really found something it won't do. i use masks very infrequently, and photolab's dust spot tool is adequate. silver efex pro has been a go-to for a long time, as well. lightroom's catalog/metadata management is useless to me

...i guess i'm wondering, is there something i might be overlooking here

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I gave it a try and didn't care for it. I just find Lightroom just works really well with my simple flow and dual monitors, the added bonus of Photoshop is a plus for the shitpost meme wars over on Twitter.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I like DxO, with two main caveats. The photo catalogue sucks (or it did in v4, I hear they made some improvements for 5 but I haven't upgraded yet), and it's annoying that you have to buy a separate module for perspective correction. The Nik Collection integration could be better too. Otherwise it's perfectly capable with all the usual stuff you'd expect, and the raw processing, lens profiles and noise reduction are second to none.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Hi, so I went with the Goon hive consensus and ordered the Tamron G2. Should be here today.

Now I have some really random questions:

1. Do I need a lens hood? (I do nearly 100% wildlife photography)

2. Logistically how do I transport my stuff to wear I'm going to shoot. Obviously the lens won't fit in my current bag. Do most people get a bag lense and setup onsite, or get a bag that will the body with lens mounted?

3. Should I get specialized insurance for my gear or try to add it to my current special stuff policy? Or do most people just hope for the best at this level of $ investment? I'm guessing the answer to this one is "it depends" and varies wildly based on whether this is a hobby or job, or if you are rich (i'm not).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
To answer the easiest question, it comes with a lens hood and I use mine when it's raining to keep water off the front element and when it's sunny to reduce flare. I don't use it when it's windy because it adds a lot of surface area to the lens.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If a lens comes with a hood I use it.
Lots of benefits with very few downsides.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The downside is it's a bulky hunk of plastic you gotta wrangle into your bag and you don't really get benefit from it all that often.

If it's gonna be raining or you intend to shoot with the sun blasting on the front element, make room. Otherwise it can stay at home.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah it's a big hood and while you can reverse it when you're not using it, then it gets in the way of the zoom ring.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I don't have any hoods that aren't attachable reversed to the lens, so bag space has never been a problem for me.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

3. Should I get specialized insurance for my gear or try to add it to my current special stuff policy? Or do most people just hope for the best at this level of $ investment? I'm guessing the answer to this one is "it depends" and varies wildly based on whether this is a hobby or job, or if you are rich (i'm not).

You should definitely shop around for insurance. Might be that your current insurance policies already cover your photography equipment, or you can add the equipment fairly cheaply. Even if it's just a hobby, it's worth spending some time seeing how much it costs.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So my new toy arrived. Lighting is bad today but my Blue Jays are always willing to pose for peanuts. DeNoised and cropped.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm looking at the Topaz AI stuff. Kind of confused, what is "Topaz Photo AI"? Does it include Topaz denoise and sharpen or are they entirely separate? Has anyone else used them and are they cool and good?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

tuyop posted:

I'm looking at the Topaz AI stuff. Kind of confused, what is "Topaz Photo AI"? Does it include Topaz denoise and sharpen or are they entirely separate? Has anyone else used them and are they cool and good?

I use denoise and sharpen, they do a decent job but I often find I have to dial them back a bit and sharpen can do some weird things with my macro stuff where I end up having to paint out a lot of it's choices with areas that are just passing out of focus.

I have no idea what Photo AI to be honest the marketing for Topaz has felt a bit shady for a while now, it looks like it might be a combo package for Denoise, Sharpen, Gigapixel but its not really clear.

In my experience Denoise and Sharpen are worth it for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I use mostly DeNoise, and occasionally Sharpen or Gigapixel. They are pretty great, but I rarely need all three at once so I'm pretty happy to keep my apps separate. I just got a promo for free Topaz Photo AI as a current Topaz customer so I guess I'll download it because free but I'm kind of leery that it will somehow bork up my current apps.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I bought DeNoise a month ago, and Sharpen about 2 weeks ago and these are the first two picture editing programs I've ever used so I'm as noob as you can get. DeNoise is amazing and I got fantastic results with it immediately without making any effort to learn how to use it. Sharpen I've had much less success with, but I guess at some point I'll have to read the instructions or watch some tutorials I suppose. DeNoise is absolutely idiot proof, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok I dug through their support docs, which were not clear!

quote:

Does Topaz Photo AI replace existing Image Quality applications (DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI)?

Topaz Photo AI is created as an auto-pilot for image quality, starting with the problems that we are best at solving and know users experience. The other image quality applications will give you much more control over specific problems if you know what you need to fix.

As we continue to improve Topaz Photo AI, we will keep up with updates to the other image quality applications.

Eventually, Topaz Photo AI will have all the features needed to fully take over the function of DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Gigapixel AI. At that point, it may fully replace these applications

So I think I'll just go with DeNoise and Sharpen for now, rather than rely on "may fully replace".

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Anyone have print services they recommend for some medium sized prints? I liked the stuff I got out of Mpix but I saw that Bayphoto looks a little cheaper for some larger prints that I'd like to do (some 8x10s or 11x14s, a couple 16x20s or maybe 20x24s, a 3:1 pano print or two) and has some nice Fuji paper selections that are a little mystifying to me for their basic photo prints... not sure any of those fine art papers are actually worth it for just hanging around home.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Bayphoto is good, I've printed up to 20"x24" and never had a problem with them. Customer service is quick, too. No idea on the fine art papers, you'll have to experiment with them.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Seconding BayPhoto. You should be able to request a paper sample book if you want to see the paper options.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i would highly recommend finding someone local so you can do test prints easily and see papers quickly

but if you just want something cheap and fast, i've used artisanhd.com. they have some decent options

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used the topaz enlarge thing on a photo of my face and gently caress the end result was disturbing

it's like it uses AI, that's obviously been trained on other people's skin, to "fill in" the gaps as it enlarges, and so the end result was a picture of my face but the fine details weren't me. not my skin texture.

Thing is, maybe I wouldn't have noticed if it was a client, because it didn't look fake, I just knew it wasn't mine, but if I got work back and the skin texture wasn't mine, I would feel very weird about the work. Interesting conundrum

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yep. It uses other peoples eyes etc. Sometimes it gets it really great, other times it's anime eye scary. The blemish reduction on the person's skin in the photo comes out looking pretty good for larger images I've found. This might be good for portraits/images that are high resolution to begin with, so it doesn't fill in any blanks other than making the skin look better.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 20, 2022

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cerious posted:

Anyone have print services they recommend for some medium sized prints? I liked the stuff I got out of Mpix but I saw that Bayphoto looks a little cheaper for some larger prints that I'd like to do (some 8x10s or 11x14s, a couple 16x20s or maybe 20x24s, a 3:1 pano print or two) and has some nice Fuji paper selections that are a little mystifying to me for their basic photo prints... not sure any of those fine art papers are actually worth it for just hanging around home.
Paper makes a pretty decent difference, even hanging on the wall. It's not a question of whether or not it's worth it to get a fine part paper, it's a question of whether or not you want to put in the time to decide which of the papers (fine art or not) is right for your situation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Yep. It uses other peoples eyes etc. Sometimes it gets it really great, other times it's anime eye scary. The blemish reduction on the person's skin in the photo comes out looking pretty good for larger images I've found. This might be good for portraits/images that are high resolution to begin with, so it doesn't fill in any blanks other than making the skin look better.

Yeah it can do some pretty wild stuff. Here’s a tight crop of a noisy shot of a squirrel I blew the focus on. I guess it gave the AI a nightmare since it looks just like the electric sheep visualizer…

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Picked up a Canon EOS M6 from SA-mart and just got it today. Are the SD card brand/specs important for shooting video? I understand that they have different write speeds, but does a $400 card blow away a $50 card enough to justify the price? I'll be shooting family stuff and some technical videos for work related stuff, so I don't need pro quality, just 'good enough' without being garbage.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Picked up a Canon EOS M6 from SA-mart and just got it today. Are the SD card brand/specs important for shooting video? I understand that they have different write speeds, but does a $400 card blow away a $50 card enough to justify the price? I'll be shooting family stuff and some technical videos for work related stuff, so I don't need pro quality, just 'good enough' without being garbage.

Generally if you are shooting 15FPS RAW for sports/wildlife or HQ 4k/8k 60/120fps video then write speed matters for buffer clearing and video recording, otherwise then it doesn't really matter.

However there are lot of fake cards out there so it's worth ensuring you get a genuine one, also nothing sucks more than having a card go bad with all your photos on it, so it is worth ensuring a decent quality brand even if the speeds are not amazing.

The Canon manuals are really helpful and actually list the data rates for movie etc for each camera.

The M6 has it on page 214 of the user guide

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-m6.html?type=manuals&language=

Oh and the general recommendation is to get a full size card and not a micro with an adapter, some people say they never have a problem with it but it is generally not recommended as it is one more potential point of failure.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 23, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
What about camera-to-PC transfer speeds? Does the card have much of an impact or is the camera usually the bottleneck?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Corla Plankun posted:

What about camera-to-PC transfer speeds? Does the card have much of an impact or is the camera usually the bottleneck?

But a card reader. Cheap, better.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
For video you want to look for v60 or v90 cards, I believe. Depending on what resolution you're shooting it might make a difference. With the R7 out, most people have tested SDXC cards endlessly and the Lexar v60 cards are holding their own against the top of the line v90s. Seems to be the current go to card that is affordable to most everyone.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
The decision was made for me by Office Depot. They only had Sandisk SDXC, so we'll see how that works out. I'll have to order one online if it doesn't do the job.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I recall a photo, but Google is failing me... It might be from a photo book recommended here. A guy shoots through his car window and uses the window to frame the shot. Might anyone know what I'm talking about?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Probably Todd Hido

https://inexpensiveprogress.com/886/todd-hido-roaming/

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Lee Friedlander?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

huhu posted:

I recall a photo, but Google is failing me... It might be from a photo book recommended here. A guy shoots through his car window and uses the window to frame the shot. Might anyone know what I'm talking about?

I found a photo like that on twitter

don't think he shot through the window himself tho