Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Made of Meat

It's been many years since I read them, so I just recently began re-reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Although I do remember most of the solutions, it's been long enough that they're only vague memories. It's definitely a really good collection of stories, and they're interesting and instructive.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

Instructive...

In CRIME!

3D Megadoodoo

The league of redheads or whatever it was called could be written as a kafka novella. Like from the pov of the guy.

baka of lathspell

bumpin this thread even tho all I’ve done is read sound and fury again

it’s hard for me to talk about sh stories without mentioning the twist or whatever but he’s a long journey of discovery and you’re gonna wanna read the return of sherlock holmes as well probably

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ohtori Akio
oh i forgot we have a book thread

i finished the edgy fantasy book i had been reading. glen cook makes wizards integrate into a world with military conflict really well i think

Scuba Trooper

been reading a collection of nikolai gogol short stories

beer pal

im reading the julio cortazar short story collection 'bestiary' very good

before that i read ottessa moshfegh's latest novel 'lapovna' and before that fernanda melchor's novella 'paradais' very contrasting. both stories full of violence and depravity but melchor's writing is urgent and personal whereas moshfegh's felt like it held an emotional distance from the characters, maybe an ironic detachment. still enjoyed it well enough tho

baka fwocka fwame posted:

bumpin this thread even tho all I’ve done is read sound and fury again

it’s hard for me to talk about sh stories without mentioning the twist or whatever but he’s a long journey of discovery and you’re gonna wanna read the return of sherlock holmes as well probably

sound an dfury rules, i wanna pick up as i lay dying pretty soon

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

baka of lathspell

good readin byob

after the return of sh you’re gonna want to read the casebook, then you’re gonna want to read the sign of four, then you’re gonna wanna read my fanfic, then you’re gonna want to…

on and on with Conan Doyle they don’t give u the right to legally use a sword on someone for no reason

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

Jinh posted:

reading "I, Strahd" about the origin of the famous DnD vampire

any good horror people wanna recommend?

M.R. James's collection of ghost stories is ancient but it's extremely, extremely good.

xcheopis

Rags to Liches posted:

M.R. James's collection of ghost stories is ancient but it's extremely, extremely good.

qft

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

baka of lathspell

beer pal posted:

sound an dfury rules, i wanna pick up as i lay dying pretty soon

they’re both p good also just seeing byobs reading list here always brightens me up hence the bumps

I’m obsessed with the parts that repeat I am not/was over and over tricklin thru qs chap like water through leaves or some poo poo

best horror readin experience ive ever had is pet sematary just so someone can tick the basic box in the recs

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

xcheopis

baka fwocka fwame posted:

they’re both p good also just seeing byobs reading list here always brightens me up hence the bumps

I’m obsessed with the parts that repeat I am not/was over and over tricklin thru qs chap like water through leaves or some poo poo

best horror readin experience ive ever had is pet sematary just so someone can tick the basic box in the recs

The appearance of the Wendigo was very well-written.

ToxicFrog

I was reading some schlocky alt-history and then the focus changed from "the struggles of a single destroyer and her mixed-species crew" to "the land war in asia" and I lost interest

Wife's borrowing the e-reader now since hers died, so I browsed the shelves some, did a reread of Fugitive Telemetry (owns, like all Murderbot books) and now I'm finally reading The Forgotten Beasts of Eld

Loved the Riddle-Master trilogy when I originally read but somehow never got around to Eld despite having it in my library for over a decade, time to finally fix that

Also really appreciate how she can tell an epic fantasy story in 200 fuckin pages, no wasted words, no exposition beyond "wizard had a son who was a weird hosed up animal sorcerer, and so was his son, and so was his daughter, and now she lives alone in a house in the woods with a shitload of magical creatures. Got all that? Good because poo poo is going down"

Ohtori Akio posted:

oh i forgot we have a book thread

i finished the edgy fantasy book i had been reading. glen cook makes wizards integrate into a world with military conflict really well i think

Which Glen Cook is this? Like probably Black Company but I know that he's written a bunch of standalones too and I haven't read them all

Ohtori Akio

ToxicFrog posted:

Which Glen Cook is this? Like probably Black Company but I know that he's written a bunch of standalones too and I haven't read them all

Shadows Linger, took a long break after the first installment of tbc

baka of lathspell

bumpin to say I finished mccarthos the orchard keeper, & am working on phillip k dick vol. 1: the king of the elves

I liked the orchard keeper, pretty good, protag is a chill enough dude

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

biosterous

just finished Command and Control and i am left with the thought: hahahaha how did we not all die in the cold war, several times over??

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

All You Need is Kill and the manga adaptation. Fantastic and somehow even better than the excellent Tom Cruise vehicle Edge of Tomorrow they made based on the novel

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Im reading the Two Towers finally. Yeehoo

xcheopis

Zurtilik posted:

Im reading the Two Towers finally. Yeehoo

I quite liked Two Towers. Well, eventually. :D

As mentioned in the chat thread, I will begin reading The Blazing World, by Margaret Cavendish, the Duchess of Newcastle, in 1666. (!) I do have pain and discomfort issues with my hands & wrists and it's a large book, so I'll probably only read a chapter per weekend. Can't believe this was written in the 17th century.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

beer pal

just finished faulkner 'as i lay dying' thats a good book. before that i read cormac mccarthy 'the road' that a good book too

baka of lathspell

that all good book

I’m almost finished rereading to the lighthouse and u know how mrs. Ramsay kinda blames herself for getting old. anyone else have that but it’s for other people you know getting old? like you only age and die because i am still here to watch it sort of thing

anyway

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Finished another chapter of Red Land, Black Land by Barbara Mertz aka Elizabeth Peters, who in addition to being a very successful mystery writer, also had a PHD in Egyptology. It's about ancient Egyptian history and it's really interesting. I've been reading it for the past 7 years. It's not long, but I only pick it up once or twice a year when I take my car to the shop. I need new tires, btw.

3D Megadoodoo

Reading, is good.

Robot Made of Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Reading, is good.

This is true.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

biosterous

Buttchocks posted:

Finished another chapter of Red Land, Black Land by Barbara Mertz aka Elizabeth Peters, who in addition to being a very successful mystery writer, also had a PHD in Egyptology. It's about ancient Egyptian history and it's really interesting. I've been reading it for the past 7 years. It's not long, but I only pick it up once or twice a year when I take my car to the shop. I need new tires, btw.

ooh, either my folks or my sister had a bunch of her Amelia Peabody mysteries, i should see if i can grab some next time i visit

in those books a guy keeps almost saying "bloody" and then changing it to "blooming" which works fine out loud, but in text it's like "those blo-- blooming incompetents" and it just looks like he's stuttering

gallery of sigs

he/him

Iambic Pentameter

yokohama kaidaishi kikou is one of my favorite japanese mangas and it got an english release for the first time so im rereading it, really cozy and interesting themes

after that im gonna read my first camus novel, the plague

baka of lathspell

wow to the lighthouse was really good lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

3D Megadoodoo

Look at this hedgehog:

biosterous

nice fat hog

gallery of sigs

he/him

ArmedZombie

biosterous posted:

nice fat hog

10/10 hog

ArmedZombie

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I am reading the modernist poet H.D.'s 1927 fictionalized memoir Hermione which so far is mostly about how unfun it is to have sex with Ezra Pound. It really convinced me to never do that.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

beer pal

im reading beloved (my first toni morrison) its really good

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

im reading beloved (my first toni morrison) its really good

Toni Morrison is a dang good writer (but upu probably already know that)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones. A prolific writer whose work was completely unknown to me. It's a charming slasher movie love letter but also a solid story on its own.

Freakbox

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Gonna Be honest- I tried reading Dune recently because my mother and my brother like it and forced myself 10-12 chapters into the first book before I gave into the urge to smash my face into my tablet. I don't know if that makes me a bad book person but there's just something indescribable that I don't like about it. I think I would've loved the universe without Paul.

Decided to reread the entire Redwall series instead for Nostalgia's sake. Much happier Freakbox.

baka of lathspell

i can always talk about redwall. you’re gonna need to know tho that essentially you will read the same book 20 times. or possibly u do know which is whatsup. redwall is hilarious

sneak edit ignore all that

what’s your fave one mines outcast and mossflower slightly less

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Freakbox

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Oh I absolutely know. :3: I love the badgers and the hedgies. Redwall and The Last Unicorn are my "I'm sad and my brain hurts" books.

Ayin

Have a great day.

Freakbox posted:

Decided to reread the entire Redwall series instead for Nostalgia's sake.
I did this too! except I took a break after eight books and haven't gotten back to it yet 😅

Can't agree with your Dune opinions though (although I got distracted from that too :negative:)

When I was a kid my fav was Salamandastron but I dunno what the current situation is since I've been leaving the ones I know are my favs for later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

Been reading Bukowski's poetry, and an autobiography by this dude called Münchhausen, who got up to all sorts of stuff I tell you what!