Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

idk how you can both say balancing around multiplayer is a good thing that CA does and then also say anyone who thinks balancing around multiplayer is bad is a conspiracy theorist. its just someone disagreeing with you.

Yes, and you're completely wrong. And I truly think you are making mountains out of molehills and trying to blame your problems on multiplayer.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't want to discount the fun of anyone who enjoys it but how many people are playing competitive multiplayer total Warhammer? Is this really what should be driving game balance? If anything, trust the two human players to find their own tricks and strategies using whatever balance occurs from SP/Co Op.

Most balancing changes and such in general are not done with multiplayer in mind, however any that are made will affect both multiplay and singleplayer battles. Festus's mortis engine being so strong and not being required to be in melee is an issue that gets noticed in multiplayer but not really too much in singleplayer as the player doesnt mind and the AI can't use him too effectively. So that's where that orginates. Saying they are making Festus not fun with this change is just loving nonsense and saying that the occasional balancing originating from multipalyer experience is a bad idea and should never be done is also incredibly stupid. There is a non-insignificant people playing and watching Warhammer multiplayer even if from a pure capitalistic market size argument it might not sound like too much to you.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Giving all LL's siege attacker seems a weird, random choice.
It’s cool that they’re giving Vlad the Festus pre-patch mortis aura as compensation

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As someone who has only briefly tried Festus (like 3 turns) my reaction to the nerf was "Wait, what? It was that high? Holy poo poo."

Having him do double the damage of a Mortis Engine is probably not a good idea.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
good post for page 420

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So they're going to release an updated roadmap at some point later this year, according to CA on Reddit. That plus a second RoR drop before 2023 and the tease at new and improved faction/lord effects aaaaah :allears:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Randarkman posted:

Yes, and you're completely wrong. And I truly think you are making mountains out of molehills and trying to blame your problems on multiplayer.

Most balancing changes and such in general are not done with multiplayer in mind, however any that are made will affect both multiplay and singleplayer battles. Festus's mortis engine being so strong and not being required to be in melee is an issue that gets noticed in multiplayer but not really too much in singleplayer as the player doesnt mind and the AI can't use him too effectively. So that's where that orginates. Saying they are making Festus not fun with this change is just loving nonsense and saying that the occasional balancing originating from multipalyer experience is a bad idea and should never be done is also incredibly stupid. There is a non-insignificant people playing and watching Warhammer multiplayer even if from a pure capitalistic market size argument it might not sound like too much to you.

so you're saying that they probably changed festus in the way i don't like because of multiplayer, but also that im nuts because i am blaming multiplayer balancing for it? idk man. the fact that it barely makes a difference to festus' overall campaign performance is why it's annoying, because its just a nerf to his big perceptible unique damage ability, rather than anything that is more powerful in a less obvious, background way.

i dont think its super fun to make balance changes based on what streamers are complaining about. you might like it but i don't. i dont think there is much more to it than that.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

reddit comment

quote:

As a modder, I can tell you another thing that has gone un-noted is that someone has re-written the unit qualities and army templates this patch.

Maybe they deem it too technical for players to understand what that means, but basically the AI will now be superior in selecting units for it’s armies.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Festus?

Hehe....

F him!

I'm glad he was nerfed!!! :evilbuddy:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

so you're saying that they probably changed festus in the way i don't like because of multiplayer, but also that im nuts because i am blaming multiplayer balancing for it? idk man. the fact that it barely makes a difference to festus' overall campaign performance is why it's annoying, because its just a nerf to his big perceptible unique damage ability, rather than anything that is more powerful in a less obvious, background way.

i dont think its super fun to make balance changes based on what streamers are complaining about. you might like it but i don't. i dont think there is much more to it than that.

What I'm really saying is that you're a big wrong baby.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ulio posted:

I thought South was mainly to get to Heinrich Kemmler which I had some people recommend online. Ya I am playing in TW3 just installed it back after IE. Also is worth going for industry or farms? I saw Legend say its better to spam farms but then you can't build peasant archers without effecting your farm income.

All my experience is TW1/2 so take with a grain of salt. Heinrich sits in his single settlement and does nothing all game afaik, terrified of the dwarfs and brets who have nobody else to wardec on. I guess he spread vamp corruption the initial orc settlement if you decided to occupy that? There may be some some subtle reason to chase him down asap but I have no idea why when it takes a few important turns to sort out Marienburg and the initial Norse raiders. Mousillin otoh can be a serious threat and can't be left forever.

Farms are crazy powerful and fast money (900+ income from two building slots that are SO CHEAP, oh and they're also UNITS RECRUITERS with GROWTH BONUSES?) While industry is styled around the more expensive income infrastructure other factions get. Go farms, get rich. You can dip over the peasant limit without dramas, the precise mechanics keep changing in patches so I won't hazard a guess what it's like in IM. IMO the whole "bret lords don't have supply lines" thing is like an early attempt at Tomb King mechanics with some wonky side effects, it's only really noticeable lategame when you're filthy rich and are fielding more knights then peasants.

The Bret Campaigns are great fun, it's basically choose your own story and go have grand adventures overseas until you press the button for one final fight and come home to screaming crowds and ticker-tape parades. Very different vibe from other races.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Randarkman posted:

What I'm really saying is that you're a big wrong baby.

you're not doing a lot to dispel the idea that MP fans are mentally abnormal

did they make noctilus a little paler at some point? or is it just how he looks in the new lighting engine? i think it looks good either way, he was a little pink for an underwater vampire before

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

you're not doing a lot to dispel the idea that MP fans are mentally abnormal

did they make noctilus a little paler at some point? or is it just how he looks in the new lighting engine? i think it looks good either way, he was a little pink for an underwater vampire before

You're the only one saying these changes amount to making Festus not fun. Anyway, that's probably enough from me here, we're never getting anywhere and you can keep living in fear of the fun-grasping multiplaying europeans.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Domination made multiplayer a much better game than the tower defense that is SP campaign, so I hope they continue to improve the game based on multiplayer.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

just get horny for Festus's immunity to contact effects army wide which is one of the best buffs in the game

I still argue that Nurgle, god of life, is the sex god.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I've tried an IE Miao Ying campaign and I feel the Cathay campaigns lacks something. I think part of it is that the AI Cathay factions are too strong: I've helped a little bit to kill Snikch and Lokhir, but they needed zero help with Ghorst and Nakai.
At turn 70 I'm looking at the map and Grand Cathay is essentially secure. Job done?:shrug: I could start a Cathayan civil war, but that would get boring fast.

Maybe later down the line when CA fills in Ind and Khuresh with something those campaign will have some more meat to them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding Breatonnia, I felt they were indirectly nerfed by the reinforcement changes, because I used to run multiple reinforcing lords with small Knightly bands, and it sucks to wait for them to arrive.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I wish there was a cycle-charge toggle for cavalry so my braindead rear end could play Brettonia.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Serephina posted:

All my experience is TW1/2 so take with a grain of salt. Heinrich sits in his single settlement and does nothing all game afaik, terrified of the dwarfs and brets who have nobody else to wardec on. I guess he spread vamp corruption the initial orc settlement if you decided to occupy that? There may be some some subtle reason to chase him down asap but I have no idea why when it takes a few important turns to sort out Marienburg and the initial Norse raiders. Mousillin otoh can be a serious threat and can't be left forever.

Farms are crazy powerful and fast money (900+ income from two building slots that are SO CHEAP, oh and they're also UNITS RECRUITERS with GROWTH BONUSES?) While industry is styled around the more expensive income infrastructure other factions get. Go farms, get rich. You can dip over the peasant limit without dramas, the precise mechanics keep changing in patches so I won't hazard a guess what it's like in IM. IMO the whole "bret lords don't have supply lines" thing is like an early attempt at Tomb King mechanics with some wonky side effects, it's only really noticeable lategame when you're filthy rich and are fielding more knights then peasants.

The Bret Campaigns are great fun, it's basically choose your own story and go have grand adventures overseas until you press the button for one final fight and come home to screaming crowds and ticker-tape parades. Very different vibe from other races.

To add to this, in IE you have one of the strongest lords in the game breathing down your neck right next door and he's going to be invading you in 10-20 turns (Be'lakor). IME you take the second settlement in your starting province, then deal with the greenskins by Marienburg as soon as possible so you can prepare for Be'lakor. Getting in a fight with Marienburg, considering you have a pretty meh starting army (your only decent unit in a siege battle is going to be the Pegasus Knights, Loeun doesn't start with a Trebuchet anymore), can be a risky proposition. Marienburg has multiple settlements you have to deal with before getting rid of them and all the while Couronne and L'Anguille are under threat of Be'lakor.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

How! posted:

I wish there was a cycle-charge toggle for cavalry so my braindead rear end could play Brettonia.

Used to be a mod where you could gift units to the AI to control but holy poo poo I never used it the AI is super dumb

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

How! posted:

The about-face hotkey (J) can help with the micro'ing for cycle-charging. It makes cavalry turn around, retreat a bit and then face the enemy they just ran away from again.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Twigand Berries posted:

just get horny for Festus's immunity to contact effects army wide which is one of the best buffs in the game

I still argue that Nurgle, god of life, is the sex god.

condom on: slaanesh
off: nurgle

there

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

nurgle is the god of sweaty missionary sex like the lord intended and slaanesh just wants to masturbate while you cut yourself

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

How! posted:

I feel exactly the same way but now, having played repanse in 2 and 3, she can use more infantry.

Aside from that, use them in the wedge formation and charge them into single units, because they'll charge THROUGH then.

If they're heavy cavalry as opposed to shock cavalry, charge them in, leave them, and let the lady sort 'em out.

I never used more than six at a time, in two groups of three, on each wing.

It's very helpful to buy Dwarven or empire ranged now!

My LL stack in my co op was probably something like:

Repanse, henri, life maiden. Four lothern sea guard, trebuchet. That's eight. 3-6 knights, 4-6 infantry, soms peasant bow men (these guys, along with the peasant man an at arms, really started to suck poo poo in the later tiers, because of enemy armor).

As Repanse at least, life is a lot easier once you have foot squires. Before that. Halberd man at arms are OK.

Grail knights in particular are Cavalry for Dummies.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 6, 2022

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
did they fix dwarf grudges

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it would be cool if they went back and redid combat animations for some of the old lords. a lot of the game 1 LLs have super generic melee animations, it would be nice to see vlad do vampire shenanigans in melee or karl franz doing some fancy hammer poo poo. i'd pay for a Karate Lessons dlc for the old LLs.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I was starting a new multiplayer campaign this morning and I noticed you can't change the endgame crisis settings. But now I can't remember if that was the case in 2.0 or if it's a new bug in 2.1. e.g. you can't turn off certain ones, change the turns or utilize that new setting that enables all of them at once.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

put it in perspective with the other lords in the game

Okay I did and you're still completely out of your hat.

Oh no Festus is incredibly powerful instead of preposterously ludicrously powerful, however shall I find fun in these dry dusty lands now, alas and alack.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 6, 2022

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

it would be cool if they went back and redid combat animations for some of the old lords. a lot of the game 1 LLs have super generic melee animations, it would be nice to see vlad do vampire shenanigans in melee or karl franz doing some fancy hammer poo poo. i'd pay for a Karate Lessons dlc for the old LLs.

yeah Archaon fights like a Dark Souls boss now and it's rad as hell. Probably lost a few battles I should have won because instead of microing my dudes I was just zoomed in super close watching him kick some Norscan rear end

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Squibbles posted:

I was starting a new multiplayer campaign this morning and I noticed you can't change the endgame crisis settings. But now I can't remember if that was the case in 2.0 or if it's a new bug in 2.1. e.g. you can't turn off certain ones, change the turns or utilize that new setting that enables all of them at once.

End game crisis do not function in multiplayer campaigns, unfortunately. Therefore the options don’t exist. 2.0 and 2.1 are the same for this.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Would it be feasible to write a mod giving Tzeentch factions the ability to turn other factions into Pontus?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

yeah Archaon fights like a Dark Souls boss now and it's rad as hell. Probably lost a few battles I should have won because instead of microing my dudes I was just zoomed in super close watching him kick some Norscan rear end

oh poo poo did they? that kicks rear end I need to give him a try

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Would it be feasible to write a mod giving Tzeentch factions the ability to turn other factions into Pontus?

Well, now that the assembly kit is out someone could probably make a mod to change the "spawnify" thing you can do (or is it exclusive to Vilitch?) to "pontify" so that it adds 3 Pontus units ripped straight out of Rome 2 to an army.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Captain Beans posted:

End game crisis do not function in multiplayer campaigns, unfortunately. Therefore the options don’t exist. 2.0 and 2.1 are the same for this.

Hmm, they do work though. We just finished a coop campaign over the weekend where we had the tomb king crisis event and won the game for defeating them. Then were playing this morning in a different campaign and got the alert for the dwarven one.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Squibbles posted:

Hmm, they do work though. We just finished a coop campaign over the weekend where we had the tomb king crisis event and won the game for defeating them. Then were playing this morning in a different campaign and got the alert for the dwarven one.

Oh poo poo awesome, I thought for sure they just didn’t work. I never saw it confirmed before so I assumed just the worst

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I guess I should abandon my Khatep campaign due to the patch. I made it to turn 85 and had formed an alliance between Dwarves and Wood Elves. got several books and was on the way back home to see what was up in the deserts

I spun the wheel and it gave me Tretch. who I don't hate honestly

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
It's probably partly that I am bad at the game but I am finding minor settlements pretty tedious to attack and leaning on autoresolve - you have to split up your forces to assault effectively but the camera doesn't really let you see what's happening on multiple sides of the settlement at once, everything seems too narrow and crowded which results in lots of pathfinding issues and meat-grindery tarpits. Some of the minor settlement designs are a little better than others but I am finding them inferior to field battles which are unfortunately rare because of how the AI won't initiate them unless it has a crushing advantage. At least on the attack, gunners seem much worse than bows because their need for a flat trajectory with direct line of sight makes it harder to get them into position when everything is so cramped

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Giving all LL's siege attacker seems a weird, random choice.

siege attacker is a pointless trait that shouldn't be a thing since even spearmen can knock down a door, but at least this means you can actually siege with your starting army always without needing to get to T3 first

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah gates are so flimsy it's really sort of bizarre you can't launch an attack until you knock together an unnecessary ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm actually enjoying Archaon now. They pulled it off.